First Gay NFL player drafted by the Rams

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/10/rams-draft-michael-sam/

A positive step for gay people, let's hope it's not made a big deal of and just let him get on with it. I wonder how apposing players will feel about having a gay man tackle them to the ground? Just saying

Do you think gay men/women in sports, should announce their sexuality making it a big deal or keep their private lives private?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

The media needs to shut the hell up. He's a football player. Being gay has nothing to do with football or being a football player. Who's care if a player is gay, straight, or has sex with animals? It shouldn't change the fact that he is a fairly decent football player.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ariabed

@ferrari2001: I often ask myself why do these people have to make it such a big deal by "coming out" it's their own private business what they get up to in their personal lives, they make it a big deal by publicly announcing it. Hopefully it works out for this guy but it could easily backfire and ruin him.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Just him coming out isn't him "making a big deal about it". Why shouldn't he be open about it?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And I bet there are tens or hundreds more out there that don't care to make their sexuality public.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ariabed

@deeliman: it kinda is a big deal when your in the public eye like that. He should be able to be open about it, but it could have a negative effect, but I hope not.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

It matters to the degree he has set a precedent in an age where gay people are more likely to be open and out or what not. As for why publicy is because he as a pro player is now a somewhat public figure. Imagine being in a pro sport and feeling you have to hide that aspect even though you have accepted it. than imagine you have a fifteen year career and you feel you have to hide who you are. that's why this is important, not because ooh gay player but because if sam is good and becomes a fan favorite he can go to a dinner after a game, or an event or anywhere really with his boyfriend and not a beard.

Beyond that aspect I could care less. can he play? I know he was pretty good in college but this is the NFL. I think he gave himself pressure. If he washes out hell take some heat and maybe set the cause he cared about back a little, at least perception wise.

So, can he play?

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

ESPN had that story on stand by the entire draft lol

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

the media, him, or any other gay dude know that what they're doing is wrong. Then why the hell do they have to "come out and admit it" It's as if they did something wrong and they have to come forward

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

He's going to get cut. The Rams' defensive line is pretty fucking stacked and because this dude is hella undersized, he'll have to be converted into a linebacker to even stand a chance. Should have went undrafted so he could sign on a team he wants.

As for him being gay, it's all uphill from here. Hard to know if his draft stock would have been higher if he didn't come out (he had a shit showing at the combine) so there's no way to know if it affected his placement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Every time I play sports and I see a man about to make physical contact with me I demand very loudly for him to state his sexual identity and then decide whether I ask the referee to expel him in the grounds of me not wanting to catch gay. True story.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

He's going to get cut. The Rams' defensive line is pretty fucking stacked and because this dude is hella undersized, he'll have to be converted into a linebacker to even stand a chance. Should have went undrafted so he could sign on a team he wants.

As for him being gay, it's all uphill from here. Hard to know if his draft stock would have been higher if he didn't come out (he had a shit showing at the combine) so there's no way to know if it affected his placement.

Could it be a popularity stunt of some sort? If his chances of being drafted or recruited (don't know the right term) are that bad may be he decided to give himself some popularity or even to politicize himself. Its only a speculation, I don't know much about American handegg.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

So did this guy have really good stats in college?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The media is constantly reporting on who celebrities date or sleep with. Yet when it reports on someone coming out, people always complain that it doesn't belong in the media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Good for him. Seems like a nice dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Could it be a popularity stunt of some sort? If his chances of being drafted or recruited (don't know the right term) are that bad may be he decided to give himself some popularity or even to politicize himself. Its only a speculation, I don't know much about American handegg.

He came out before his draft stock dropped so I doubt it. It doesn't matter anyway.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Hehe, 'the Rams'.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

The media needs to shut the hell up. He's a football player. Being gay has nothing to do with football or being a football player. Who's care if a player is gay, straight, or has sex with animals? It shouldn't change the fact that he is a fairly decent football player.

Yeah, him being the first openly gay football player not only drafted, but possibly to play, means nothing...Baffles me that people still don't realize that the push against gays is still prevalent (states still trying to ban gay marriages, kids still bullied, etc.) and that it is important for stories like this to get attention as examples of the sort of acceptance that should exists. I mean, I guess when Jackie Robinson played baseball it shouldn't have received any attention? I mean he was JUST a baseball player. It didn't hold any more significance to ANYONE beyond that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Oh for fucks sake.....people should be drafted by talent and nothing about their sex life is important to that.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mattykovax

@LJS9502_basic:

Nice sig, I love closedown one of my favorite tunes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mattykovax said:

@LJS9502_basic:

Nice sig, I love closedown one of my favorite tunes.

Woah....how long have you been back? Haven't seen you in forever.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh for fucks sake.....people should be drafted by talent and nothing about their sex life is important to that.

He was...his draft stock dropped during the combine, but he was SEC Defensive Player of the Year & and voted unanimously to the All-American College Team in 2013. People are acting like he was drafted first overall so they must have only done it for the PR...he was selected 249/256. For his size this makes sense but in regards to his skill and work ethic he could have gone higher.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattykovax

@LJS9502_basic:

Just recent. finaly have a stable home, computer and internet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@mattykovax: Welcome back =)

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mattykovax

@korvus:

Thanks. this time it should be a little more permanent. My life got really hectic for awhile.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Didn't he kind of suck?

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

@lostrib said:

Didn't he kind of suck?

Yes

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yay!

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@toast_burner said:

The media is constantly reporting on who celebrities date or sleep with. Yet when it reports on someone coming out, people always complain that it doesn't belong in the media.

This is true. The entire industry that has been built up around famous people in America is bizarre. Dam you TMZ

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@GamingGod999: I thought that was funny, too, given that something like, what, ten percent of male sheep are gay?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ariabed said:

@ferrari2001: I often ask myself why do these people have to make it such a big deal by "coming out" it's their own private business what they get up to in their personal lives, they make it a big deal by publicly announcing it. Hopefully it works out for this guy but it could easily backfire and ruin him.

Spot on, the funny thing is they spam everyone with "oh we are normal" but clearly they feel that their sexual orientation makes them something else.

But i must admit im glad he is not on my team, anyone who feels their sexual life is something they need to bring to the public is not a person i want on my team.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

So, nobody's going to make a joke about opposing teams getting "Rammed"? Okay then. This place apparently has at least a little bit of class.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts

This works for him coming out because when he gets cut for whatever reason, he can scream the homophobic card and Jesse Jackson can show up with the rental mobs and protest every Rams game for them being an anti-gay organization.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@TruthTellers said:

This works for him coming out because when he gets cut for whatever reason, he can scream the homophobic card and Jesse Jackson can show up with the rental mobs and protest every Rams game for them being an anti-gay organization.

I approve of your cynicism. Let's hope that doesn't happen, but I, for one, won't be incredibly surprised if it does.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts
@the_bi99man said:

@TruthTellers said:

I approve of your cynicism. Let's hope that doesn't happen, but I, for one, won't be incredibly surprised if it does.

You say this because you have a mind and can THINK! Hopefully, he will exceed expectations in camp and the Rams sign him full time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

He's the first OPENLY gay football player in professional football, lets make that clear, there have been gay players in the past who came out after their careers were over.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

And one day everyone on that team will wear his jersey.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@ariabed said:

Because people don't generally face immense hatred for being heterosexual. You didn't see other draft picks receiving hateful Twitter messages from NFL players because they bone women.

I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal, but it is to some people. Jackie Robinson was the talk of the town when he signed with the Dodgers. Now, nobody gives a crap that Blacks play baseball. This is a step toward making that the reality for another oppressed group.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#39 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

the story itself is nice and all, but having a select few people in a franchise choose a player that happens to be openly gay doesn't seem like the biggest part of it. i think the more important thing will be when there's an openly gay player who is part of a locker room for an extended period of time and people can see that his sexuality wasn't a factor in team chemistry or anything like that. there's just no ceremony for that like the NFL draft.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#40  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@ariabed said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/10/rams-draft-michael-sam/

A positive step for gay people, let's hope it's not made a big deal of and just let him get on with it. I wonder how apposing players will feel about having a gay man tackle them to the ground? Just saying

Do you think gay men/women in sports, should announce their sexuality making it a big deal or keep their private lives private?

I think they should all stfu personally. Who gives a shit. Either you want to be treated like everyone else or you want to make your sexuality who you are rather than who you screw. Too many of them wear it like a badge, that is their problem.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ariabed

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: he obviously loves playing football, but to put himself out there like that is risky, and seems like he's being protected because he is gay.

"The Rams made history by welcoming the first openly gay player to the NFL, and by keeping Sam in Missouri, they ensured that he’ll be in front of a supportive fan base"

So what would happen if he went somewhere without a supportive fan base?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ariabed

@LoG-Sacrament: I hear what your saying and that's a good point, if they can all get along in the locker room without feeling awkward that would speak volumes.

Me personally I would prob be looking to see who he is eyeing up in the showers. Just saying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ariabed said:

Me personally I would prob be looking to see who he is eyeing up in the showers. Just saying

Why? Would you feel like you'd be in danger of getting raped if a gay man found your body attractive? Chances are, he doesn't give a crap; he is gay, you have a penis (I assume), so what? I'm sure he's seen other men naked (and has for years before he came out as gay...) if he's to feel any attraction towards you I'm almost sure it won't be because he's seen your dangling bits.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Let's hope he doesn't "take one" for the team eh.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

The locker room will be interesting as fvck
Lets see how the Rams and Mr Sam handle it

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ariabed

@korvus: just saying it would be good to be a fly on the wall in that locker room, to see how he acts and how others act towards him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ariabed said:

@korvus: I would just be curious to see how he acts that's all, I know how I would be in a locker room full of girls, so it's gotta be kinda the same for him. I think he would have to be very careful where he is looking.

Not all gays are uncontrollable sex maniacs. Just because you can't control yourself around girls doesn't mean everyone is like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ariabed: I'm sure it'll make some people uncomfortable for a while, then it just becomes natural, like everything else =)

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ariabed

@toast_burner: who said I wouldn't be able to control myself? If I was in a locker room full of girls I would be having sly little looks at the ladies that all. And if any of them were interested in extra activities then I would ablige.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ariabed said:

@toast_burner: who said I wouldn't be able to control myself? If I was in a locker room full of girls I would be having sly little looks at the ladies that all. And if any of them were interested in extra activities then I would ablige.

Exactly my point. You can't control yourself.