Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

When the term atheism came to be that is all it meant. However, in today's world it does mean much more. And I showed a link that wouldn't let me link that have various definitions of religion.....and it included atheism and agnosticism as religion. Which is why I said it depends on your definition. Nonetheless, atheism has become a religion to some...which I also said...and you should be able to pick out those that belong to that particular religion. Notice any atheists trying to convert? I have....some even in this thread.;)

LJS9502_basic
If it depends on 'your definition' then there was no point in arguing and stating opinionas if it were fact(since the definitions are now solely opinions...).
Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Happyphilter
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Ish"]

But there Atheists don't worship the same thing. Or worship at all.

LJS9502_basic

But they have the same belief...that God/gods don't exist.

And im sure by now many of us here think you are an idiot, is that a religion?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178878 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

When the term atheism came to be that is all it meant. However, in today's world it does mean much more. And I showed a link that wouldn't let me link that have various definitions of religion.....and it included atheism and agnosticism as religion. Which is why I said it depends on your definition. Nonetheless, atheism has become a religion to some...which I also said...and you should be able to pick out those that belong to that particular religion. Notice any atheists trying to convert? I have....some even in this thread.;)

EboyLOL

If it depends on 'your definition' then there was no point in arguing and stating opinionas if it were fact(since the definitions are now solely opinions...).

But I've said that all along....I'm simply here for the fun.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="EboyLOL"]I edited my last post.

And as a matter of fact, one of my friends doesn't, as in he is indifferent to science and doesn't believe a God exists.

LJS9502_basic

But he can still believe the world came to be one of two ways...and if he's atheist....it's one way. So he has a belief about it. He may not particularly care about it....but he's not going to believe God created the world now is he?

The world could have come about in many ways. there isnt a single scientific theory on it that is proven.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Happyphilter"]

Again you say one belief, it is not, what I said was multiple beliefs.

LJS9502_basic

And I showed you Christians have one belief. God. Checkmate.

eh...no. Christians believe:

- That Jesus is the son of God

- That God is responsible for the creation of the universe and all that other good stuff

- That there is an afterlife

- That to get into heaven one has to abide by a very large set of moral beliefs

- That those moral beliefs were ordained from God

- That the bible is the word of God

And many other beliefs. If all Christians believed was "there is a God" it wouldn't be much of a religion, much less a religion distinguishable from any other religion on Earth.

Also, the belief that the universe and everything in it arose via purely natural, non-paranormal causes is called "naturalism" which you seem to be getting confused with atheism.

*sigh* And that all equals a belief in a particular God. ONE belief. I went over that already.

No, it doesn't. one belief would be "there is a god". You know what that belief is called? THEISM (which btw is a doctrine like atheism. the difference is that almost all theists belong to a religion since merely believing that some sort of god exists is very unsatisfying for most people).

To say that Christianity's only belief is that god exists means that you're saying that Christianity is identical to every deity worshipping religion in existence, from Ancient Egyptian mythology to Hinduism. If you want to specify the Abhramaic god Jehova, then that requires adding several more beliefs pertaining to the character of Jehova. At that point however Christainity would still be identical to Mormanism, Judaism, and Islam since all those religions believe in the same deity. If you wish to argue that, say, Christainity and Judaism are different then you're going to have to throw in many extra beliefs in order to seperate the two.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Ish"]

LJS9502_basic

But they don't have a shared creed, code of conduct, and they don't institutionalize. If they did, I'd like to see them.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#157 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
LJS9502_basic

Preference is not belief. Atheism has changed since the term was coined.

Not really. Sure being an Atheist predisposes you to believing other things but these other beliefs can still not be ****fied as a part of Atheism. There are philosophies which do cover what I presume you think most Atheists believe outside of their being no God (such as the search for rational, naturalistic explanations of the universe). For example Secular Humanism: "a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance focusing on the way human beings can lead good and happy lives."
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Ish"]

Happyphilter

I doubt they think that of me....since I'm not. And insults don't make you look good...FYI.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Ish"]

LJS9502_basic

Sharing a common belief does not equal having a religion. Why don't you understand that? A belief is an opinion. MY opinion is blue is the best color. Bill's opinion is blue is also the best color. The same goes for Sara and Mike. Nowwe four have just started a religion, according to you. :|

I don't like repeating myself. But I won't stand for misinformation and ignorance.

makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts
Lol, i love that.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 EboyLOL
[QUOTE="EboyLOL"]I edited my last post.

And as a matter of fact, one of my friends doesn't, as in he is indifferent to science and doesn't believe a God exists.

LJS9502_basic

But he can still believe the world came to be one of two ways...and if he's atheist....it's one way. So he has a belief about it. He may not particularly care about it....but he's not going to believe God created the world now is he?

That still has nothing to do with his beliefs regarding the creation of the universe. Like you said, he can choose, but he doesn't.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
LJS9502_basic

Really? Do tell. Because if the word somehow means anything other than disbelief in some divine being, well, looks like I was wrong and that you weren't just listing your own stereotypes of atheists so as to justify calling it a religion.
Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Ish"]

LJS9502_basic

I doubt they think that of me....since I'm not. And insults don't make you look good...FYI.

just an example. pretend for one moment you arent as great as you think you are. Would that not be a religion?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
espoac

Not really. Sure being an Atheist predisposes you to believing other things but these other beliefs can still not be ****fied as a part of Atheism. There are philosophies which do cover what I presume you think most Atheists believe outside of their being no God (such as the search for rational, naturalistic explanations of the universe). For example Secular Humanism: "a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance focusing on the way human beings can lead good and happy lives."

As I said...it depends on which definition one chooses for religion. Some can include atheism...and some can't. That is a rather good explanation...and many atheists would fall under that belief...making it a shared belief system.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
quiglythegreat

Really? Do tell. Because if the word somehow means anything other than disbelief in some divine being, well, looks like I was wrong and that you weren't just listing your own stereotypes of atheists so as to justify calling it a religion.

Quigly quigly quigly....I gave you a hint a few pages back. Stereotypes? Show me an atheist that believes a supernatural being created the world and I'd say you are correct. BUT....to believe that...they can't be atheist now can they?

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 quiglythegreat

As I said...it depends on which definition one chooses for religion. Some can include atheism...and some can't. That is a rather good explanation...and many atheists would fall under that belief...making it a shared belief system.

LJS9502_basic
Do you not understand the folly of classifying atheism as a religion by tacking on stereotypes?
Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Happyphilter
Some people are just impossible to reason with
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EboyLOL"]I edited my last post.

EboyLOL

That still has nothing to do with his beliefs regarding the creation of the universe. Like you said, he can choose, but he doesn't.

Then you are saying he has no clue? I'm guessing he's older than 10....he'd have to have an opinion.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

quiglythegreat

Do you not understand the folly of classifying atheism as a religion by tacking on stereotypes?

I agree.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

quiglythegreat

I'm waiting for the anwer to the question I asked you. It's nota stereotype. There are two ways the world was created. Natural or supernatural. An atheist DOES NOT believe in the supernatural or by definition they are not atheist. Now how is that a stereotype....hmmmm?

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
LJS9502_basic

Quigly quigly quigly....I gave you a hint a few pages back. Stereotypes? Show me an atheist that believes a supernatural being created the world and I'd say you are correct. BUT....to believe that...they can't be atheist now can they?

Obviously not, but that point sucks and it astounds me you don't realize that there can A LOT of other alternatives. I mean, you're staggering in your sheer ignorance of the alternatives. Atheists may claim that they don't know the answer, they may be Buddhist, transcendentalist, they may just not care. It's not one or the other, yet you continue to insist that it is. I have no idea how the world started, I just go with what physicists tell me, because I believe they seek the truth, and in their writing they tell me that they do not know and so I do not know.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic  Online

just an example. pretend for one moment you arent as great as you think you are. Would that not be a religion?

Happyphilter

Are you ATTEMPTING to debate....or merely attacking me as this is the second post you've resorted to insulting me. If that is your style then find someone else to debate. That is not my style.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm waiting for the anwer to the question I asked you. It's nota stereotype. There are two ways the world was created. Natural or supernatural. An atheist DOES NOT believe in the supernatural or by definition they are not atheist. Now how is that a stereotype....hmmmm?

No, it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 LJS9502_basic  Online
, it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
quiglythegreat

It's not stupid...you just can't counter it. Now what stereotype have I used in this thread?

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#176 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Uh, GENERALLY. Would you call people who prefer mint chocolate-chip ice cream above all other foods as being part of a certain religion? It is only one belief. You can stereotype atheists as much as you want, but that doesn't mean you can expand the definition of atheism well, well beyond what it is, as you obviously have and will probably continue to do. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. NOTHING else. Nothing else at all. You need to accept that.
LJS9502_basic

I've never seen a definition of religion as "one shared belief". They're at least a "set of shared beliefs" and usually a social institution.
Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

you make everything black and white, which it is not.

God or no God does not seperate a person from christianity, because religions believe in an assortment of God's and what that god means to them. You continue to block things and construe them until they fit the meaning you want.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"] , it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
LJS9502_basic

It's not stupid...you just can't counter it. Now what stereotype have I used in this thread?

That all athiests believe the universe was created in the same way...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 LJS9502_basic  Online

I've never seen a definition of religion as "one shared belief". They're at least a "set of shared beliefs" and usually a social institution.espoac

But...depending on the interpretation one can call it a set...or one can call it one belief. Again...this entire topic comes down to definition. Though for the record...and you've been around OT while....some atheists....(note I said some) do make atheism a religion. They have pat answers for the existence of the universe and try to force their beliefs. These are the atheists I believe have made it a religion....not the guy who just doesn't believe.

Difference between the two.....

ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#180 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts

I just love that quote :D

"Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color." Don Hirschberg

Jelle87
QFT.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"] , it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
LJS9502_basic

I have countered it. There are more than two possible stances one can have on the creation of everything. I've said this. This completely refutes your argument when using that example.

Notice any atheists trying to convert? I have....some even in this thread.;)

LJS9502_basic
This is a stereotype that you have used to try to label atheism a religion. I cannot say it any plainer.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 EboyLOL
[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EboyLOL"]I edited my last post.

LJS9502_basic

Then you are saying he has no clue? I'm guessing he's older than 10....he'd have to have an opinion.

It's oh so simple... He simply doesn't care. If you were to ask him what his beliefs were regarding the creation of the universe, he would say, and I quote "hell if I know". Hardly sounds to me that he perpetuates the belief of the Big Band and Evolution theories. There are also MILLIONS of people who share this amount of indifference. Of course, there is a good reason why theofficial definition of Atheism hasn't changed to fit your perceptions of what makes an atheist, and I'm sure you can tell them to me.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"] , it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
Happyphilter

Atheists belive it was created naturally. One shared belief.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"] , it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
LJS9502_basic

Thats on par on saying anyone who believes in a god(all religions) believe in the same god

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Atrus
Member since 2002 • 10422 Posts

LJS9502_basic

False. Various schools of Hinduism deny the existence of Gods yet still claim a supernatural origin of the universe and a spiritual aspect of the universe as well. You're putting your own preconceived notions of what is in place of reality. Atheism is a simple statement for which you've appended all sorts of nonsense to make your justifications seem correct.

Like I've mentioned before, you're avoiding the issue that Atheism encompasses a wide range of belief systems as well but is not in itself a religion.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LJS9502_basic  Online

It's oh so simple... He simply doesn't care. If you were to ask him what his beliefs were regarding the creation of the universe, he would say, and I quote "hell if I know". Hardly sounds to me that he perpetuates the belief of the Big Band and Evolution theories. There are also MILLIONS of people who share this amount of indifference.EboyLOL

But he most definitely wouldn't say a supernatural being created it. That is what I said....I asked between the two....natural and supernatural which does he believe. You said he didn't care.....now if he's atheist...he cares.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 quiglythegreat

[QUOTE="espoac"]I've never seen a definition of religion as "one shared belief". They're at least a "set of shared beliefs" and usually a social institution.LJS9502_basic

But...depending on the interpretation one can call it a set...or one can call it one belief. Again...this entire topic comes down to definition. Though for the record...and you've been around OT while....some atheists....(note I said some) do make atheism a religion. They have pat answers for the existence of the universe and try to force their beliefs. These are the atheists I believe have made it a religion....not the guy who just doesn't believe.

Difference between the two.....

A distinction you have failed to make because it undermines your argument. If only some atheists make atheism a religion, then it is not a religion. That's like saying there are Christians that do not actually subscribe to the religion of Christianity. If they don't, they're not Christians in the first place. And obviously Christianity is a series of beliefs. You claim that all Christianity is is the belief in one God. Which means all monotheistic religions fall under Christianity.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"] , it's not necessarily a stereotype (all the other stuff you were saying obviously is, and you revert to the one point that, although infantile, is not necessarily utilizing stereotypes). It's just STUPID. It's not JUST two ways that people may choose to view the creation of the world.
LJS9502_basic

Again, this is an assumption. The universe wasn't necessary created solely by physics, I have no clue. I am an atheist, thus you are contradicted and your argument is rendered invalid.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 LJS9502_basic  Online
A distinction you have failed to make because it undermines your argument. If only some atheists make atheism a religion, then it is not a religion. That's like saying there are Christians that do not actually subscribe to the religion of Christianity. If they don't, they're not Christians in the first place. And obviously Christianity is a series of beliefs. You claim that all Christianity is is the belief in one God. Which means all monotheistic religions fall under Christianity.
quiglythegreat

No...I've said that several times already. Reread the thread.:roll: You guys just aren't paying attention. Actually....I said by someone's definition...forget who...probably the guy that keeps insulting me....by that definition Christianity isn't a religion. As I have stated.....since the start...it depends on which definition one picks. There are quite a few out there...not JUST one.

As for my argument....it's simple...I've said it more than once. Atheists (again not all but the majority in OT definitely)have made a religion out of their beliefs/lack of belief...whichever you prefer.

And I gave a link to a page that defined religion in various ways...some of which can include atheism and agnosticism...and actually called both a religion.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 EboyLOL

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"] It's oh so simple... He simply doesn't care. If you were to ask him what his beliefs were regarding the creation of the universe, he would say, and I quote "hell if I know". Hardly sounds to me that he perpetuates the belief of the Big Band and Evolution theories. There are also MILLIONS of people who share this amount of indifference.LJS9502_basic

But he most definitely wouldn't say a supernatural being created it. That is what I said....I asked between the two....natural and supernatural which does he believe. You said he didn't care.....now if he's atheist...he cares.

k? and he's most definately not saying that the Big Bang theory created it either. He doesn't believe either... I really don't know how to put this any more bluntly. He cares when stupid, idiotic conservatives berate him for his beliefs as he is surrounded by them in his own classroom (attributing to his lack of belief in God), and he doesn't show any support for science... if you were to give him a piece of paper stating that he believes science answers all questions, he WOULD NOT SIGN IT.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 LJS9502_basic  Online
Again, this is an assumption. The universe wasn't necessary created solely by physics, I have no clue. I am an atheist, thus you are contradicted and your argument is rendered invalid.
quiglythegreat

Do you understand the difference between natural vs supernatural? *sigh*

I gave no elaboration beyond the two generic words.....if you are atheist...you don't believe God/gods created the universe. That leaves you with natural means.:|

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 LJS9502_basic  Online

k? and he's most definately not saying that the Big Bang theory created it either. He doesn't believe either... I really don't know how to put this any more bluntly. He cares when stupid, idiotic conservatives berate him for his beliefs as he is surrounded by them in his own classroom (attributing to his lack of belief in God), and he doesn't show any support for science... if you were to give him a piece of paper stating that he believes science answers all questions, he WOULD NOT SIGN IT.EboyLOL

I didn't ask which scientific theory he backed. I said he wouldn't believe a god created the world. Is this hard to understand?

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Again, this is an assumption. The universe wasn't necessary created solely by physics, I have no clue. I am an atheist, thus you are contradicted and your argument is rendered invalid.
LJS9502_basic

I gave no elaboration beyond the two generic words.....if you are atheist...you don't believe God/gods created the universe. That leaves you with natural means.:|

But that isn't just one belief anyway, and let's say it is. This is such a stupid argument. Terms like 'monotheist', 'polytheist' and 'atheist' are used to DESCRIBE religions. Obviously none of them are religions in themselves.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Atrus

False. Various schools of Hinduism deny the existence of Gods yet still claim a supernatural origin of the universe and a spiritual aspect of the universe as well. You're putting your own preconceived notions of what is in place of reality. Atheism is a simple statement for which you've appended all sorts of nonsense to make your justifications seem correct.

Like I've mentioned before, you're avoiding the issue that Atheism encompasses a wide range of belief systems as well but is not in itself a religion.

Atheism.....a lack of belief in a god/gods. What is wide range about that?

I'm not justifying anything. It is a shared belief. A natural creation is a shared belief. And since NO atheist would believe in a supernatural creation...natural it is. Where is the discrepancy?

syorks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#195 syorks1
Member since 2007 • 824 Posts
Too bad atheism is a religion.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 quiglythegreat

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"]k? and he's most definately not saying that the Big Bang theory created it either. He doesn't believe either... I really don't know how to put this any more bluntly. He cares when stupid, idiotic conservatives berate him for his beliefs as he is surrounded by them in his own classroom (attributing to his lack of belief in God), and he doesn't show any support for science... if you were to give him a piece of paper stating that he believes science answers all questions, he WOULD NOT SIGN IT.LJS9502_basic

I didn't ask which scientific theory he backed. I said he wouldn't believe a god created the world. Is this hard to understand?

But you're lumping ALL OTHER THEORIES. ALL OTHER THEORIES. into just one belief. That's stupid as hell.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]Again, this is an assumption. The universe wasn't necessary created solely by physics, I have no clue. I am an atheist, thus you are contradicted and your argument is rendered invalid.
quiglythegreat

But that isn't just one belief anyway, and let's say it is. This is such a stupid argument. Terms like 'monotheist', 'polytheist' and 'atheist' are used to DESCRIBE religions. Obviously none of them are religions in themselves.

According to the courts.... I am correct.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#198 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
[QUOTE="Atrus"]

Religions have 3 requirements to be met:

1. Creed.

2. Code.

3. Cult.

I don't see how Atheism or Agnosticism adhere to any of those.

LJS9502_basic

A religion is a shared set of beliefs. Period. Atheism is a shared set of beliefs. Fits.

Do you believe that a pro-life stance fits into the category of a religion?

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Happyphilter
Im wainting for your responce to me, although I understand that you will try to ignore it like any other argument that has proven you wrong. which by now must be in the hundreds
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="Atrus"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

Atheism.....a lack of belief in a god/gods. What is wide range about that?

I'm not justifying anything. It is a shared belief. A natural creation is a shared belief. And since NO atheist would believe in a supernatural creation...natural it is. Where is the discrepancy?

There are atheists that believe in the supernatural. This is what we've been trying to tell you for the past 100 posts. Atheism is only the disbelief in deities. It is not the disbelief in everything supernatural (that would be naturalism). Hence the reason Buddhists are commonly classified as atheist, along with any other religion that doesn't believe in a god.