Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Furthermore, if we used your definition of institution/religion then McDonald's, the US government, and Star Wars are religions.dooly420
there are quite a number of people who put "jedi" as their religion.

Yes, but that was done as a joke during the Australian census since people didn't want to have to say what their religious beliefs were.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

Not really. You don't have a belief in Atheism. You don't decleare "I am an Atheist" and start following an Atheist code or creed or cult.

ShuLordLiuPei

Are you saying atheists DON'T have a belief in how the universe was created? How the universe functions?

Most of everyone in the world has an opinion on how the universe came about.

But atheists as a whole group do not. Even if 99% of atheists believed a certain way, that does not mean they are part of a set belief system.

By your definition....99 % is indeed a set belief system.:| How do you think "religion" in your definition came about? Because people believed the same. It's just that the word religion scares atheists so they don't want to believe they are part of one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="dooly420"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Furthermore, if we used your definition of institution/religion then McDonald's, the US government, and Star Wars are religions.gameguy6700

there are quite a number of people who put "jedi" as their religion.

Yes, but that was done as a joke during the Australian census since people didn't want to have to say what their religious beliefs were.

Negative...some people DO believe jedi is their religion.:|

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Religion is a set of shared beliefs....so if a group believes the same...it's a religion.;)Happyphilter

Does that I mean I share a religion with all those who believe Queen are great? The video game religion too?:|

Sharing beliefs within a group does not equal being in a religion with them.

Worshipping Queen can, in fact, be a religion.

he said believeing the queen is great, not worshiping. theres a difference.

If you have to change peoples words to make yourself seem right, chances are you are wrong.

Did you not read my answer or not understand it?

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Happyphilter
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

Not really. You don't have a belief in Atheism. You don't decleare "I am an Atheist" and start following an Atheist code or creed or cult.

LJS9502_basic

Are you saying atheists DON'T have a belief in how the universe was created? How the universe functions?

But atheists as a whole group do not. Even if 99% of atheists believed a certain way, that does not mean they are part of a set belief system.

By your definition....99 % is indeed a set belief system.:| How do you think "religion" in your definition came about? Because people believed the same. It's just that the word religion scares atheists so they don't want to believe they are part of one.

BELIEF SYSTEM, not a single belief. system -a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole.

Stop changing peoples words to make yourself seem right. Since it's obvious you ignored my last reply I feel It has to be said again.

IT IS NOT A RELIGION. You do not "worship" there being no god, you just believe that one doesn't exist. In no way does this constitute a religon.

MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts
[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

LJS9502_basic

Umm no they do not... Being an atheist means you believe there is no god(s). Not that you believe in the Big Bang Theory or in Evolution Theory. :roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

Happyphilter

BELIEF SYSTEM, not a single belief. system -a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole.

Stop changing peoples words to make yourself seem right. Since it's obvious you ignored my last reply I feel It has to be said again.

IT IS NOT A RELIGION. You do not "worship" there being no god, you just believe that one doesn't exist. In no way does this constitute a religon.

Then Christianity is not a religion since there are various interpretations.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Religion is a set of shared beliefs....so if a group believes the same...it's a religion.;)LJS9502_basic

Does that I mean I share a religion with all those who believe Queen are great? The video game religion too?:|

he said believeing the queen is great, not worshiping. theres a difference.

If you have to change peoples words to make yourself seem right, chances are you are wrong.

Did you not read my answer or not understand it?

I read it, very smart, but it does not even relate to what he said.

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Atrus
Member since 2002 • 10422 Posts

That depends on the definition. There are many different interpretations of the definition. Not all include a God or a deity.And some fit quite well with both atheism and agnosticism....

Religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm includes both as part...and shows various interpretations....which belie the fact that atheism cannot fit into "religion".

Won't let me copy the web address...nonetheless there are definitions there which don't "fit" your interpretation.

One definition in the Miriam Webster dictionary simply states...

A cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Describes the faith atheists place in science knowing the answers well.....

LJS9502_basic

Wrong. There is no universal set of beliefs that can be attributed to all Atheists beyond the statement 'God does not exist'. One can be an Atheist and reject any and all scientific understanding as well. This is the problem such defunct attempts to categorize a statement into a belief system runs into.

We are not all of the same religion because we lack a belief in Santa Claus. A-Santaism is merely a statement which itself could encompass religious belief or not. The only reason we don't classify ourselves as A-Santaists or A-Fairyists is merely the special pleading that elevates 'God' to a different status when it isn't.

The requirement of religions requiring a Creed, Code, and Cult satisfies the legitimacy of all recognized religions and it is one Atheists lack merely because Atheism is the counter of Theism, itself also not a religion but a statement. You can certainly have Atheistic religions like some of the Eastern religions, but Atheism itself is not predicated on such.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

That depends on the definition. There are many different interpretations of the definition. Not all include a God or a deity.And some fit quite well with both atheism and agnosticism....

Religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm includes both as part...and shows various interpretations....which belie the fact that atheism cannot fit into "religion".

Won't let me copy the web address...nonetheless there are definitions there which don't "fit" your interpretation.

One definition in the Miriam Webster dictionary simply states...

A cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Describes the faith atheists place in science knowing the answers well.....

Atrus

Wrong. There is no universal set of beliefs that can be attributed to all Atheists beyond the statement 'God does not exist'. One can be an Atheist and reject any and all scientific understanding as well. This is the problem such defunct attempts to categorize a statement into a belief system runs into.

We are not all of the same religion because we lack a belief in Santa Claus. A-Santaism is merely a statement which itself could encompass religious belief or not. The only reason we don't classify ourselves as A-Santaists or A-Fairyists is merely the special pleading that elevates 'God' to a different status when it isn't.

The requirement of religions requiring a Creed, Code, and Cult satisfies the legitimacy of all recognized religions and it is one Atheists lack merely because Atheism is the counter of Theism, itself also not a religion but a statement. You can certainly have Atheistic religions like some of the Eastern religions, but Atheism itself is not predicated on such.

Wrong. The universal belief is that a god does not exist.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Religion is a set of shared beliefs....so if a group believes the same...it's a religion.;)LJS9502_basic

I didn't say worshipping Queen. I said thinking they are great. By what you say, every person is in hundreds of religions.

I am in the Queen religion.

Video game religion.

The blue religion.

PS3 religion.

David Gemmell religion.

Classic rock religion.

Do you see where I am going with this? And that is just things I like. I share a common belief with many people that things are okay, mediocre, bad, etc. For example, I am also in the "Paul McCartney and the Wings are terrible" religion.

I am taking this to the extreme, but I think you get the point. Like what I said earlier, because I share a common belief with others, does not mean I am in a religion with them.

MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

LJS9502_basic

Yea sure it isn't *sigh* this is absolutely pointless

Who wants to join my religion called Potato. I loooove the potato.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

LJS9502_basic

Christianity is the broad term for those segments of the religion. but each still has a set, or system, of beliefs.

Let me put it in a way you can understand it. Catholics are all Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. Does that help? If not you shoulden't be debating this until you gained a little bit more knoledge about the subject.

All denominations of Christianity are still religions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic

I read it, very smart, but it does not even relate to what he said.

Happyphilter

Of course it did. I didn't say he worshipped Queen....I said worshipping Queen can be a religion. And it couldwell be...for some.;)

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ShuLordLiuPei
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]

LJS9502_basic

It is not a belief SYSTEM. It is a largely shared belief.

DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 DarkKar
Member since 2005 • 6025 Posts
[QUOTE="Boring_Bland"]

Religon is believing in a god. Atheism is not:| "Group"? they don't go to church.

Nope. Religion does not need a God. For some sports are a religion.

Both myself and my good friend Thesaurus support your argument.

re-li-gion

• "A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons."
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LJS9502_basic
I didn't say worshipping Queen. I said thinking they are great. By what you say, every person is in hundreds of religions.

Video game religion.

The blue religion.

PS3 religion.

David Gemmell religion.

Classic rock religion.

Do you see where I am going with this? And that is just things I like. I share a common belief with many people that things are okay, mediocre, bad, etc. For example, I am also in the "Paul McCartney and the Wings are terrible" religion.

I am taking this to the extreme, but I think you get the point. Like what I said earlier, because I share a common belief with others, does not mean I am in a religion with them.

ShuLordLiuPei

I got the point that you didn't understand.:|

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Happyphilter

Yea sure it isn't *sigh* this is absolutely pointless

Who wants to join my religion called Potato. I loooove the potato.

MindFreeze

Just as long as theres nothing more to it than liking potatos im in!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

ShuLordLiuPei

A belief system = shared belief.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Atrus"]

Religions have 3 requirements to be met:

1. Creed.

2. Code.

3. Cult.

I don't see how Atheism or Agnosticism adhere to any of those.

LJS9502_basic

A religion is a shared set of beliefs. Period. Atheism is a shared set of beliefs. Fits.

Would you be so kind as to list this set of shared beliefs?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LJS9502_basic

Christianity is the broad term for those segments of the religion. but each still has a set, or system, of beliefs.

Let me put it in a way you can understand it. Catholics are all Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. Does that help? If not you shoulden't be debating this until you gained a little bit more knoledge about the subject.

Happyphilter

Trying to have it both ways? By YOUR definition Christianity is NOT a religion.

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Atrus

LJS9502_basic

It is a statement. Are you saying Theism is a religion then? You share the same religion as a Hindu or a Pagan? Are we all of the religion of A-Santaism?

Religions are those that have to meet certain requirements, and like I've said having a Code, Creed and Cult is key. If Atheism is a religion then why aren't Atheists allowed the same exemptions and special considerations given to other religions?

Your poor definition of what constitutes a religion has no operating basis in the real world.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

LJS9502_basic

A belief system = shared belief.

No no no.... that is wrong. Look up the definition of belief, than look up the definition of system. This is what we get because it is my belief you will never ever get this on your own.

Belief:any cognitive content held as true

System:a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole

Now we dot he math and what do we get?
HINT:It is not a shared belief

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LJS9502_basic

MrGeezer

Had you read the thread...I answered that. But just for you...atheism....nobeliefin a god. Show me one atheist that believes in a god...and I'll show you someone that isn't...well you know...atheist.;)

Believe the universe was created by natural means as well.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"]

LJS9502_basic

Trying to have it both ways? By YOUR definition Christianity is NOT a religion.

Christianity is the broad term for all the denominations of the religion! what part of that do you not get!?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJS9502_basic

No no no it is wrong. Look up the definition of belief, than look up the definition of system. This is what we get because it is my belief you will never ever get this on your own.

Belief:any cognitive content held as true

System:a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole

Now we dot he math and what do we get?
HINT:It is not a shared belief

Happyphilter

*sigh* We could elaborate on the natural order of things vis a vis creation of universe...creation of man. Seem very much like shared BELIEFS (plural) of which atheists do subscribe.

Do the math...k?

DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DarkKar
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Atrus

It is a statement. Are you saying Theism is a religion then? You share the same religion as a Hindu or a Pagan? Are we all of the religion of A-Santaism?

Religions are those that have to meet certain requirements, and like I've said having a Code, Creed and Cult is key. If Atheism is a religion then why aren't Atheists allowed the same exemptions and special considerations given to other religions?

Your poor definition of what constitutes a religion has no operating basis in the real world.

I think atheists are athiests because they simply don't care for exemptions and special considerations.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

Had you read the thread...I answered that. But just for you...atheism....nobeliefin a god. Show me one atheist that believes in a god...and I'll show you someone that isn't...well you know...atheist.;)

Set, as in more than one there chief. So what is it that all athiest believe? What code do they follow? What activities do they practice that no one else does?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

Christianity is the broad term for all the denominations of the religion! what part of that do you not get!?

Happyphilter

And thus...is not a religion. What part of that don't you get?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Atrus

You know there are more than one definition for religion? Don't you? Nonetheless, Hindus and Pagans don't share the same belief. Atheists do. The believe that god does not exist. Simple.

DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DarkKar
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"]

LJS9502_basic

And thus...is not a religion. What part of that don't you get?

I give this thread another five minutes before someone goes "ooooooohhhhhhhhh!" :lol:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Happyphilter

Set, as in more than one there chief. So what is it that all athiest believe? What code do they follow? What activities do they practice that no one else does?

That is more than one chief.....:|

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

That's one belief. We need at least one more in order to have a system of beliefs.

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Atrus

I think atheists are athiests because they simply don't care for exemptions and special considerations.

DarkKar

Pretty hard to get out of a statement of 'I do not believe a God or Gods exist'. I'm sure Atheists like saving money and special exemptions as much as Theists do.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

That's one belief. We need at least one more in order to have a system of beliefs.

Then how about you give me all the various beliefs that "religion" believes that make it different.

DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DarkKar
[QUOTE="DarkKar"]

Atrus

Pretty hard to get out of a statement of 'I do not believe a God or Gods exist'. I'm sure Atheists like saving money and special exemptions as much as Theists do.

Well seriously, who would want a leech such as a "collection plate" :roll:

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Atrus

You know there are more than one definition for religion? Don't you? Nonetheless, Hindus and Pagans don't share the same belief. Atheists do. The believe that god does not exist. Simple.

LJS9502_basic

Based on your childish understanding, Pagans, Hindus and Christians are of the same religion. Theism. Regardless of what definition of religion you trumpet up you've failed to press your point. Religions require a Creed, Code and Cult for which Atheism is too broad a scope to have, and Atheism itself is not applicable to Income tax exemptions, property tax exemptions and numerous other benefits given to those of a recognized religion.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

Atheism isn't a religion. A religion is a 'set' of beliefs. Atheism has only one belief, that there is not God, which is not a 'set' because a 'set' is plural.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ShuLordLiuPei
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]I didn't say worshipping Queen. I said thinking they are great. By what you say, every person is in hundreds of religions.

Video game religion.

The blue religion.

PS3 religion.

David Gemmell religion.

Classic rock religion.

LJS9502_basic

I got the point that you didn't understand.:|

You said: "so if a group believes the same...it's a religion". Or it could be reowrded as "If a group shares a belief, they are a religion."

I share the belief with millions that Queen is great band. Does that mean that I am part of a Queen religion?

I share the belief with millions that video games are enjoyable. Does that mean I am part of a video game religion?

I share the belief with millions that blue is the greatest color. Does that mean I am part of a blue religion?

I share the belief with many that the Playstation 3 is a good thing to have. Does that mean I am part of a Playstation 3 religion?

I share the belief with many that David Gemmell is one of the greatest modern fantasy authors. Does that mean I am part of aDavid Gemmell religion?

I share the belief with many that classic rock is the best subgenre of rock. Does that mean I am a part of classic rock religion?

I share the belief with millions that Paul McCartney and the Wings are a terrible band. Does that mean I am part of a Paul McCartney and the Wings are terrible religion?

The answer to all the questions is: no. I am not part of any of these religions. And to my knowledge, these religions don't even exist. But accoring to your definition, I am part of these religions. The point is: your definition is incorrect.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

Then how about you give me all the various beliefs that "religion" believes that make it different.

Does not compute. "Religion" is not a religion.

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Atrus

DarkKar

Rephrase or clarify.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Happyphilter
[QUOTE="Happyphilter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

That is more than one chief.....:|

No it's one. Ill use the color example again. I believe that Blue is the best color ever, but I also believe that red is not as good as blue. Thats not a system.

By yuo saying athiests believe god doesnt exisit its implied they no not think god created the universe, and it is also implied they do not go to church and do not take communion. You are telling us what isn't rather than what is, so what do they believe in?

Christianity is a religion. All Chrisitans have a set of beliefs, but within that set are sub-sets of beliefs. If this subject is beyond you I insist that you stop before you embarass yourself.(anymore)

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
Best analogy E FREAKIN' VER!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Atrus

Based on your childish understanding, Pagans, Hindus and Christians are of the same religion. Theism. Regardless of what definition of religion you trumpet up you've failed to press your point. Religions require a Creed, Code and Cult for which Atheism is too broad a scope to have, and Atheism itself is not applicable to Income tax exemptions, property tax exemptions and numerous other benefits given to those of a recognized religion.

:lol::roll: I didn't make up the definitions of religions. Perhaps you might avail yourself of more than one source. That is a false analogy. Shared set of beliefs. Atheists do believe in a shared set. God does not exist. The universe came about due to the natural laws of science. Man was not created by God but evolved. Pagans and Hindus don't come close to sharing the same beliefs...atheists, however, do.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

No it's one. Ill use the color example again. I believe that Blue is the best color ever, but I also believe that red is not as good as blue. Thats not a system.

By yuo saying athiests believe god doesnt exisit its implied they no not think god created the universe, and it is also implied they do not go to church and do not take communion. You are telling us what isn't rather than what is, so what do they believe in?

Christianity is a religion. All Chrisitans have a set of beliefs, but within that set are sub-sets of beliefs. If this subject is beyond you I insist that you stop before you embarass yourself.(anymore)

Happyphilter

What are the shared set of beliefs. God is one. Jesus is God...therefore, that is still one. Continue....

DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DarkKar
[QUOTE="DarkKar"]

Atrus

Rephrase or clarify.

I'm sorry, I have limited responses. You'll have to ask the right questions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

MrGeezer

I left it open for your choice...

Panzer-schreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Panzer-schreck
Member since 2007 • 2835 Posts
Good quote.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

I left it open for your choice...

Well then I'm sure you don't need me to explain to you how Christianity (for example)encompasses a set of beliefs.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ShuLordLiuPei

:lol::roll: I didn't make up the definitions of religions. Perhaps you might avail yourself of more than one source. That is a false analogy. Shared set of beliefs. Atheists do believe in a shared set. God does not exist. The universe came about due to the natural laws of science. Man was not created by God but evolved. Pagans and Hindus don't come close to sharing the same beliefs...atheists, however, do.

LJS9502_basic

Pagans and Hindus do share a belief (and according to you a belief system, since you believe one belief is a belief system): they both believe in gods. That is what Atrus is getting at.

Atheism is as much as a religion as Theism (the belief) is a religion.