Are you Religious or Atheist OT?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#255 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@thegerg said:

@joshrmeyer:

"Isn't believing there is no God and disbelieving there is a God pretty much identical, just worded differently?"

No. Not at all. One of those is a belief, and the other is the lack of a belief. Belief and lack of belief aren't identical.

Summed nicely by gerg

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#256 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

I am a Born Again, Seventh Day Evangelical, Anglo Saxon, Pentecostal, Greco Roman, Presbyterian, Orthodox Sodomitarian.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#257  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@kod said:

I am a Born Again, Seventh Day Evangelical, Anglo Saxon, Pentecostal, Greco Roman, Presbyterian, Orthodox Sodomitarian.

Yikes!

And I thought emoticons used to work on this site?

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By KOD

@joshrmeyer said:

I personally wouldn't call them a religion, but more of a belief system.

A lack of a belief system cannot be a belief system.

@joshrmeyer said:

Just like Christianity isn't a religion.

Christianity is absolute a religion by every definition. There is no questions on this subject, its not up for opinion, its not up for debate. In fact most dictionaries actually cite Christianity as examples of the definition. And btw, if you're an apologetic or Christian yourself, you really don't want to go down that rabbit hole in America. The tax situation alone would destroy most organized christian sects in America.

This is a newer talking point we've been hearing from the religious, i believe it was the discovery institute that put it forward i their attempt to use science to disprove science and this silly idea that Christianity is not a religion, popped out of that whole thing because they tend to be backed into corners due to the failure of their ideas and understanding of the world, and come up with nonsense like that.

@joshrmeyer said:

But Atheism, according to law, is a religion (in the U.S.).

No, this is again, not true.

@joshrmeyer said:

And talking about atheist is probably one of the worst waste of my time.

It seems you should be listening to them instead of talking, you might gather correct information if you did this.

@joshrmeyer said:

But hey, it just shows you can start a religion even following fictional books.

The foundation of every religion ever created since man could write, which includes the bible old and new testament.

But this is kind of the point right? This is why the term "faith" exists and why believers i deities are reliant on it. Because any educated person who is also religious is faced with the reality that their bible is 99% historically inaccurate and 99.9% scientifically inaccurate. So they have to rationalize believing this stuff, with the reality they are faced with. They more often than not say "i have faith". Which IMO is laughable and very clear destruction of critical thinking but at this point its all they have and its loads better than what we see the discovery institute and intelligent design attempting.

@joshrmeyer said:

@thegerg: Did you read it? If a bunch of guys want to get together to discuss their disbelief in God, how is that different from people getting together to discuss their belief in God?

So first off, people getting together to discuss a topic does not make them a religion of that topic or anything near it.

Second off, most of the time "atheists" get together for discussion the topic is usually religion, incorrect things within a religion, etc. This is why atheists tend to know more about another persons religion than that person does. At least this is my experience in America with Christians. This might seem hyperbolic to you, but i can think of only a few situations where i was being questioned for my lack of religious belief, and it didnt end with me explaining to a Christian whats in the old and new testament that they didnt know about. I tend to call American Christians "Walmart" Christians..... they pick up a cross, put it on their neck and all the sudden they are religious.

@joshrmeyer said:

@thegerg: Some worship the Earth. Some worship science. Some peoples worship involves disproving God exist, in a supreme form.

Ive never seen anyone do any of these things. No one worships science. Those who worship the earth are still religious, their deities are simply physical. And no one worships the idea of disproving god, in fact the majority of non-believers know you cannot disprove something that cannot be proven to begin with.

@joshrmeyer said:

If you're atheist, why not just say you're non-religious instead?

This is very semantic.

But it is worth pointing out that one can be without religion and still believe in a deity.

@joshrmeyer said:

Unless you're really out to prove there's no God. That takes action and belief in what you're saying is true.

Never been proven, so cant be disproved. BUT, it does not take action and belief to disprove religious texts when they reference the real world. This goes back to my 99% comments, historically we know the old and new testament are not even remotely accurate. And scientifically they are a joke. Does this disprove the christian god? No, but it definitely shows you that the idea is nothing but fiction and we can actually take this further and demonstrate how the religion evolved from other religions, the copied stories and the alterations and why those alterations happened.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 KOD

@theone86 said:
@kod said:

Yikes!

And I thought emoticons used to work on this site?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@kod: Geez you just went off... I can send you a link that says atheism is a religion according to a ruling by the supreme Court or you can Google it. You can say it isn't and that's fine, but legally it is, and it gets the same benefits as any other religion.

How is Christianity a religion? So if someone ask you what religion you are, you can say Christian? Christian simply means "follower of Christ". There are hundreds of religions based of Christianity.

Not sure how to can claim the Bible is historically inaccurate. There are several verses that were written before the common belief such as the Earth being round. They continually are finding more evidence that supports the Bible... The recent documentary about how fast the Grand canyon was formed was interesting. All these years I've been taught to believe it took millions of years to form. Also, I was taught in school that we come from monkeys... Rediculous.

So if you can't disprove God exist because no one can prove it, means it can't be true? Or means it can be or may not be? Sounds more like agnostic views in that way.

Stupid subject either way. Science has a lot of theories and that's cool because that's all they are. The more educated we get, the more we see how wrong science has been but at least it's getting correcting. No clue if they are still teaching kids we came from monkeys or not... More likely to have came from dolphins than monkeys... Which is still rediculous.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Agnostic, slowly trending towards Atheism.

Mainly because of the Theocons/Fundamentalists (doesn't matter if they're Christian or Muslim, American or Foreign)

The world's always going to be a shit-tier mess if these nutters don't learn to respect secularism.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 JoshRMeyer

@thegerg: So do you believe God exist? Or do you not, not believe but don't disbelieve either? My head's spinning.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 JoshRMeyer

@thegerg: https://evolutionnews.org/2014/07/for_first_amend1/

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#265 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: Geez you just went off... I can send you a link that says atheism is a religion according to a ruling by the supreme Court or you can Google it. You can say it isn't and that's fine, but legally it is, and it gets the same benefits as any other religion.

How is Christianity a religion? So if someone ask you what religion you are, you can say Christian? Christian simply means "follower of Christ". There are hundreds of religions based of Christianity.

Not sure how to can claim the Bible is historically inaccurate. There are several verses that were written before the common belief such as the Earth being round. They continually are finding more evidence that supports the Bible... The recent documentary about how fast the Grand canyon was formed was interesting. All these years I've been taught to believe it took millions of years to form. Also, I was taught in school that we come from monkeys... Rediculous.

So if you can't disprove God exist because no one can prove it, means it can't be true? Or means it can be or may not be? Sounds more like agnostic views in that way.

Stupid subject either way. Science has a lot of theories and that's cool because that's all they are. The more educated we get, the more we see how wrong science has been but at least it's getting correcting. No clue if they are still teaching kids we came from monkeys or not... More likely to have came from dolphins than monkeys... Which is still rediculous.

There's so much wrong here. The answers to your questions are in the thread. There's a lot of confusion in your' post.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 KOD

@joshrmeyer said:

So im going to respond to this by talking about your citation for it.....

@joshrmeyer said:

....If you're really interested in this case, what it said, whats been overturned or rewritten, etc. here is a summary by the ACLU: https://aclu.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000393

Now... you remember that whole "discovery institute" and "intelligent design" things i was mentioning before? How it sounded like you were repeating things that came from them or some of the concepts/ideas you mentioned were theres? Well, how right was i? You're citing evolutionnews, which if you didnt know is an intelligent design website that accepts and promotes a literal interpretation of the old and new testament and they named their website "evolutionnews" in order to try to convince the world that they are involved in scientific fields and can speak on scientific issues. When the reality of it is, they cant because they are not qualified. They're not really qualified for anything except speaking on biblical text (and not in a scholarly manner) all they ever want to do is convince you that everything in the bible is real, non-believers are the devil, the US was built on Jesus and there is no separation of church and state and blah blah blah. This is why i urge you to read more on the case instead of relying on a website like evolutionnews, who seems to avoid explaining that this is a 50 year old case for a state (not federal) and who's outcome has been addressed and holds no meaning in our judicial, legislative or legal system today. If you want a court case more recent that verifies all ive said, look into... meh, i forget the case name... just look up "PA supreme court of pandas and people" and im sure it will pop up.

So i really feel that you should step back and absorb what all of that means.

Be leery of intelligent design people, all they do is intentionally lie. They come to a conclusion and than by any means necessary try to make that conclusion a fact.

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: How is Christianity a religion? So if someone ask you what religion you are, you can say Christian? Christian simply means "follower of Christ". There are hundreds of religions based of Christianity.

How is it that you're arguing Christianity is not a religion, but a lack of believing in Christianity is?

In what reality does that make any sense?

Which dictionary would you like me to go to for the definition of a religion? Websters? Oxford? Stanford? There's even a religious dictionary (by Christians funny enough) i could go to. Do you honestly not realize you're defining a religion when saying "what Christianity simply means"? You know what... what might make more sense is if you called it a "cult" and than realized by definition there is no difference between cult and religion.

At this point i think we are going to end this, you're trying to shape the world as you want it to be instead of how it is. If youre really interested in how historically inaccurate the bible is, stop listening to snakeoil salesmen and check world history for five minutes. Stop going to sources that are laughed out of every serious discussion and academia.... who are laughed at not because of what they say, but because of their blatant lying to get there. This is why these guys rely on living in bubbles instead of having their ideas challenged. There's a reason why nothing you rely on for your daily life is discovered or built or promoted by these morons.

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: Science has a lot of theories and that's cool because that's all they are.

Actually, ill address this very quickly.

Those scientific theories, made it so you didnt die before you were 10. They give you everything you have in your very easy life that would not be easy without them. AND a scientific theory as far as you need to be concerned, is a fact and there is nothing you can say or do to change this fact. Things are labeled scientific theories when there is enough evidence of a process for us (mankind) to say its an undeniable fact.

The guy who responded to you first, really nailed it with: 'There's so much wrong here. The answers to your questions are in the thread. There's a lot of confusion in your' post."

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By demi0227_basic

@kod said:
@joshrmeyer said:

@joshrmeyer said:

....If you're really interested in this case, what it said, whats been overturned or rewritten, etc. here is a summary by the ACLU: https://aclu.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000393

Now... you remember that whole "discovery institute" and "intelligent design" things i was mentioning before? How it sounded like you were repeating things that came from them or some of the concepts/ideas you mentioned were theres? Well, how right was i? You're citing evolutionnews, which if you didnt know is an intelligent design website that accepts and promotes a literal interpretation of the old and new testament and they named their website "evolutionnews" in order to try to convince the world that they are involved in scientific fields and can speak on scientific issues. When the reality of it is, they cant because they are not qualified. They're not really qualified for anything except speaking on biblical text (and not in a scholarly manner) all they ever want to do is convince you that everything in the bible is real, non-believers are the devil, the US was built on Jesus and there is no separation of church and state and blah blah blah. This is why i urge you to read more on the case instead of relying on a website like evolutionnews, who seems to avoid explaining that this is a 50 year old case for a state (not federal) and who's outcome has been addressed and holds no meaning in our judicial, legislative or legal system today. If you want a court case more recent that verifies all ive said, look into... meh, i forget the case name... just look up "PA supreme court of pandas and people" and im sure it will pop up.

So i really feel that you should step back and absorb what all of that means.

Be leery of intelligent design people, all they do is intentionally lie. They come to a conclusion and than by any means necessary try to make that conclusion a fact.

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: How is Christianity a religion? So if someone ask you what religion you are, you can say Christian? Christian simply means "follower of Christ". There are hundreds of religions based of Christianity.

How is it that you're arguing Christianity is not a religion, but a lack of believing in Christianity is?

In what reality does that make any sense?

Which dictionary would you like me to go to for the definition of a religion? Websters? Oxford? Stanford? There's even a religious dictionary (by Christians funny enough) i could go to. Do you honestly not realize you're defining a religion when saying "what Christianity simply means"? You know what... what might make more sense is if you called it a "cult" and than realized by definition there is no difference between cult and religion.

At this point i think we are going to end this, you're trying to shape the world as you want it to be instead of how it is. If youre really interested in how historically inaccurate the bible is, stop listening to snakeoil salesmen and check world history for five minutes. Stop going to sources that are laughed out of every serious discussion and academia.... who are laughed at not because of what they say, but because of their blatant lying to get there. This is why these guys rely on living in bubbles instead of having their ideas challenged. There's a reason why nothing you rely on for your daily life is discovered or built or promoted by these morons.

@joshrmeyer said:

@kod: Science has a lot of theories and that's cool because that's all they are.

Actually, ill address this very quickly.

Those scientific theories, made it so you didnt die before you were 10. They give you everything you have in your very easy life that would not be easy without them. AND a scientific theory as far as you need to be concerned, is a fact and there is nothing you can say or do to change this fact. Things are labeled scientific theories when there is enough evidence of a process for us (mankind) to say its an undeniable fact.

The guy who responded to you first, really nailed it with: 'There's so much wrong here. The answers to your questions are in the thread. There's a lot of confusion in your' post."

Thanks for explaining all of that to him. I get exhausted clarifying where people go wrong because I've seen all these arguments so many times. Explaining the difference between the lexical use of the word "theory" and explaining the difference to the definition of the word in science (a set of ideas explaining the observations of facts of phenomenon) is fun the first 100 times you do it, but misinformed people sprout like weeds.

It's like putting out fires constantly. I love talking about it, but it's frustrating that guy didn't even seem to read through the thread. Lot's of good info in here.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 demi0227_basic

@thegerg said:

@joshrmeyer:

You're still misinterpreting what you're reading about atheism and religion. What that article is saying is that courts have found that atheistic viewpoints can be protected or restricted in the same manner as religious viewpoints when those atheistic viewpoints hold a place or serve a role as a religious viewpoint. The courts have NOT said that atheism is a per se religion, which is the way you're presenting the argument.

What the courts have said is that when atheistic beliefs act as religious beliefs, they should be treated as religious beliefs. What YOU are saying, is that a lack of belief is a religious belief. What you're trying to argue is that a religion exists in which its adherents have no belief in.

Anyway, that article does not support your claim that atheism is, by law, a religion in the US. The courts don't make law, they interperate law and determine how the power of the state will apply to a given situation.

If you really believe that there is a law in the US declaring atheism a religion, you should cite that law. Not an editorial article, the law.

Thanks for explaining that to him...he's very adamant that the courts can define words, and that if they had the power to do so, it would mean something.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@kod said:

@joshrmeyer said:

You could have just stopped at him citing evolutionews as a source. Anyone that cites creationist think tanks isn't knowledgeable or willing to engage in an honest or open conversation.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#272 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

Topic Locked from further discussion.

Discussion went from "are you religious or atheist?" to why people are wrong for believing what they believe in or why they are wrong for not believing. In addition to various posts that are blatantly against the CoC and condescending commentary.