Are you Religious or Atheist OT?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

I manually edited him out of the quote chain because I was responding to a blanket statement you made, which is an aside from the back-and-forth the two of you were having. I am not defending him, I am simply contesting you.

Then you are dishonest. I was referring to those who espouse what he did and secondly I clearly didn't make it a blanket statement as I said I've met atheists who aren't assholes.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@korvus: Im leaving to cry myself in a corner?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Then you are dishonest. I was referring to those who espouse what he did and secondly I clearly didn't make it a blanket statement as I said I've met atheists who aren't assholes.

And I've met Christians who aren't cheek-deep in their own ass, but that's not the correlation I was drawing. My statement was pretty simple, contrasting and easy to understand: annoyances aren't the sole domain of any one group.

Notice I didn't contest that some Atheists can be assholes, I was simply stating the butter spreads both ways.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 indzman

I hate atheists who make fun of ones religion and god?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic  Online

@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And I've met Christians who aren't cheek-deep in their own ass, but that's not the correlation I was drawing. My statement was pretty simple, contrasting and easy to understand: annoyances aren't the sole domain of any one group.

Notice I didn't contest that some Atheists can be assholes, I was simply stating the butter spreads both ways.

No you got butthurt because I called out an atheist who in no way is tolerant of others. There were a few in this thread. I saw no religious person attacking atheists. I don't give a **** what you believe..........but I don't like double standards. You are doing that now. Whining about one sect which I assume is Jehovah's Witnesses that are not generally considered as Christian by the way........while thinking it's okay to push anti religious thoughts at the same time. For the record I haven't found you to be particularly knowledgeable about Christianity either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@indzman said:

Exactly my initial point. Too bad some self called tolerant atheists don't see the double standard they project.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 indzman

@LJS9502_basic: Very true.And online is full of them lol.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:

No you got butthurt because I called out an atheist who in no way is tolerant of others. There were a few in this thread. I saw no religious person attacking atheists. I don't give a **** what you believe..........but I don't like double standards. You are doing that now. Whining about one sect which I assume is Jehovah's Witnesses that are not generally considered as Christian by the way........while thinking it's okay to push anti religious thoughts at the same time. For the record I haven't found you to be particularly knowledgeable about Christianity either.

You've certainly conceeded a lot of ground on Biblical issues over the years if I'm not knowledgeable. A few IIRC:

-Definitions of Hell (Gehanna, Hades, Sheol, etc.)

-Definition of Nephesh

-Literary co-existence and eventual assimilation of El

-And I think it was you I debated with the Transfiguration, whether it was a dream or a witnessed event

Anyway, I don't even know what the two of you were talking about. I haven't read his posts. I clicked on the > in the subject line to bring me to the last post, read up from there (per usual) and stopped at yours. So how can I possibly defend someone who's position I am not even aware of?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@toast_burner: The best evidence we have imo is nature... Looking into a microscope, etc. It's really hard for me to think that some intelligent entity didn't create that and it just randomly happened.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 br0kenrabbit

@joshrmeyer said:

@toast_burner: The best evidence we have imo is nature... Looking into a microscope, etc. It's really hard for me to think that some intelligent entity didn't create that and it just randomly happened.

Many of the basic functions of life can be replicated with non-living matter. It's just a matter of bringing it all together. Here's a fun little video:

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LJS9502_basic  Online

@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You've certainly conceeded a lot of ground on Biblical issues over the years if I'm not knowledgeable. A few IIRC:

-Definitions of Hell (Gehanna, Hades, Sheol, etc.)

-Definition of Nephesh

-Literary co-existence and eventual assimilation of El

-And I think it was you I debated with the Transfiguration, whether it was a dream or a witnessed event

Anyway, I don't even know what the two of you were talking about. I haven't read his posts. I clicked on the > in the subject line to bring me to the last post, read up from there (per usual) and stopped at yours. So how can I possibly defend someone who's position I am not even aware of?

I haven't discussed any of that with you. Maybe you should learn to read first before replying.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JoshRMeyer

@plageus900: Seen a few say this now. Isn't an antheist someone that doesn't believe God exist at all? Is there proof he doesn't? Sound more like you're an agnostic.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@plageus900: Seen a few say this now. Isn't an antheist someone that doesn't believe God exist at all? Is there proof he doesn't? Sound more like you're an agnostic.

While true I don't think many people know what an agnostic is and just lump it with atheist.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JoshRMeyer

@br0kenrabbit: That's cool and all, but they came from somewhere. It's kinda beyond the human capacity to think broader than what we see in physical form. I do believe in a spirit realm(or alternate dimension) and within that, I believe things were created and for specific reason, that we aren't sure of yet, and may never know.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: Yup, I'd guess the majority of non religious people lean toward being agnostic than atheist. It's like my view of aliens... I don't deny their existence, I just haven't seen enough proof to say I do believe in them. So they may be out there somewhere or may not.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:

I haven't discussed any of that with you. Maybe you should learn to read first before replying.

Yeah, if I have time later I may go back and find some of those conversations but I'm not sure how far back these forum archives go. And I didn't need to read his post to determine what you were saying. It wasn't complex enough to be taken out of context, the idea presented in your post was pretty clear: Atheist = unpleasant as a general rule with a few minor exceptions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic  Online

@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yeah, if I have time later I may go back and find some of those conversations but I'm not sure how far back these forum archives go. And I didn't need to read his post to determine what you were saying. It wasn't complex enough to be taken out of context, the idea presented in your post was pretty clear: Atheist = unpleasant as a general rule with a few minor exceptions.

Well you're certainly living up to the unpleasant label.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Yup, I'd guess the majority of non religious people lean toward being agnostic than atheist. It's like my view of aliens... I don't deny their existence, I just haven't seen enough proof to say I do believe in them. So they may be out there somewhere or may not.

I guess though I don't know why they want to get involved in the mess down here. What I do find ironic is atheists that adamantly believe in them. I mean you either require proof or you don't.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JoshRMeyer

@indzman: Christian simply mean " a follower of Christ". It's not a religion such as Catholic is. There are 100's of Christian religions that have 90+% the same beliefs but that 10% seems to differentiate them enough to be called a different religion. I'd say Catholicism may be the most different of all Christian religions, but it's still one.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 br0kenrabbit

@joshrmeyer said:

It's that we find the existence of God Illogical, not just that we don't believe.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By JoshRMeyer

Just want to this out there: You can be an atheist and still be religious. Religion doesn't require a God. Kind of a bad Title question. Should be "Religious or not religious"... Funny fact: All these people claiming to be Atheist are religious, since Atheism is a religion. Supreme Court backs that up.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 JoshRMeyer

@br0kenrabbit: Understandable. I was just pointing out that doesn't make you an Atheist. To claim so, may make real Atheist upset lol. I also know there's a lot of confusion as to what atheism is... The title of this thread and comments kind of support that on here.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 br0kenrabbit

@joshrmeyer said:

@br0kenrabbit: That's cool and all, but they came from somewhere. It's kinda beyond the human capacity to think broader than what we see in physical form. I do believe in a spirit realm(or alternate dimension) and within that, I believe things were created and for specific reason, that we aren't sure of yet, and may never know.

What differentiates humans from even the higher animals is our ability to utilize the power of imagination. From this springs language, and from language, complex thought. Imagination is central to who we are, and most of us remember from childhood just how enchanting it can be.

That the power of imagination can be so deep as to conjure such ideas as morality and compassion is astonishing. That the human mind can be so complete as to be capable of contemplating itself is awe-inspiring whether you are deeply religious or skeptical atheist.

The leap to the consideration of deity is easy to understand contextually, but then again so is the leap to superstition. Complexity does not breed a need for the impossible, but rather simply invites inquiry. It is this inquiry that we call science.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: Exactly. There's way more proof that a creator exist, whether you call him God or what, than there is for aliens. Even if aliens are real somewhere hundreds of lifetimes away, did they also randomly come into existence? It's a no brainer(no pun intended) that we were made by something. Science is supporting that more and more. And anyone in the medical field, like myself, should be able to see that. I use to think it was the uneducated who believed in God... But after studying human anatomy and most other college courses revolving around nature like microbiology, I can't fathom how an educated person would not believe in God(or a creator). Or maybe it's just easier to not believe... Plausible deniability lol.

Edit: By lifetimes I meant light-years, which would require several lifetimes to reach.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Exactly. There's way more proof that a creator exist, whether you call him God or what, than there is for aliens. Even if aliens are real somewhere hundreds of lifetimes away, did they also randomly come into existence? It's a no brainer(no pun intended) that we were made by something. Science is supporting that more and more. And anyone in the medical field, like myself, should be able to see that. I use to think it was the uneducated who believed in God... But after studying human anatomy and most other college courses revolving around nature like microbiology, I can't fathom how an educated person would not believe in God(or a creator). Or maybe it's just easier to not believe... Plausible deniability lol.

Yes science is slowly finding things that we couldn't dream of just a few years ago. How one interprets a God/Spirit/Creator is of course different. I have never been able to figure out why some think it's easier to imagine a Being rather than just the physical earth but for some reason something made many different cultures that didn't interact believe in more than the world itself.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 JoshRMeyer

@br0kenrabbit: Did you copy and paste that? Lol j/k... Well written.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@joshrmeyer said:

@br0kenrabbit: Did you copy and paste that? Lol j/k... Well written.

I was trying to be succinct. It took me a few minutes. lol

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JoshRMeyer

After finally reading through the comments, I don't think I'll be posting of what religion I belong to on here for argument sake. But it was nice to read some intelligent comments.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Generally speaking most of Off topic is agnostic or atheist. I am sure TC knows this but he likes to get the forum pulse so he posts this topic from time to time. I'd guess twice a year?

Personally, I am a Christian which means I believe in and try to live values as taught via the gospel of Jesus Christ. That may sound simple but even Christians have different beliefs within Christianity based on Christ's gospel.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Not religious, but not atheist - sometimes it seems like atheism can be it's own cult/religion.

I guess I'm agnostic - but more to the side of 'who gives a **** one way or the other I got real shit to do'

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts

I'm an Atheist, but I hate having a label... its like Sam Harris says, we don't have a label for someone who isn't an astronaut. You just aren't an astronaut. Same with us non-religious people. We're just humans who happen to be able to think with reason and be logical.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Nice to see this thread devolve to mindless dickwaving by the same small minded individuals as in every other thread that is ever posted.

Gamespot forums are nothing if not reliable.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I think religion's greatest trick wasn't convincing some people that there was a god who was all powerful, it was convincing everyone else that you couldn't ridicule the idea

Ricky Gervais
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm an Atheist, but I hate having a label... its like Sam Harris says, we don't have a label for someone who isn't an astronaut. You just aren't an astronaut. Same with us non-religious people. We're just humans who happen to be able to think with reason and be logical.

Hahahaha, that's a slap on the face to the majority of people.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hrt_rulz01

@SOedipus said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Hahahaha, that's a slap on the face to the majority of people.

Just stating facts :)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Nobody believes in fairy tales like religion anymore.

Oh wait...I live in America. Too many people stop believing in Santa, only to keep believing in whatever nonsense religion they follow.

Anyways...I hate to say I'm an atheist, because it shouldn't be necessary to describe what you DON'T believe in, but there it is.

This is why atheists are becoming the most intolerant group....those who espouse these views.

Though I have met some tolerant atheists on the internet it's edgy to be anti.

Relax there guy. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That's why you see atheists as hostile. Religious people make crazy claims without any evidence, and in all cases full of illogical fallacies both formal and informal. When those claims are dismissed, it will out of necessity seem hostile. Your God/gods don't exist. There's no reason to believe in them. If you can understand why you don't believe in Zeus, you'll understand why atheists don't believe in what others do.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

I'm non religous. Don't care what others believe as long it does not affect others negatively.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

Catholic.. but not religious.. and yeah I got brains.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#90 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is why atheists are becoming the most intolerant group....those who espouse these views.

"You're different from me, so the divine overlord is going to punish you for eternity in a pit of fire and torment".

Yes, atheists are intolerant.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

"You're different from me, so the divine overlord is going to punish you for eternity in a pit of fire and torment".

Calling out absurd beliefs that aren't substantiated by any objective measure makes you intolerant. You can't make this shit up.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LJS9502_basic  Online

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Calling out absurd beliefs that aren't substantiated by any objective measure makes you intolerant. You can't make this shit up.

Thanks for the proof guys.............

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Grow up. Having your beliefs questioned doesn't make the party challenging them intolerant. It's a lazy defense mechanism used by people that are incapable of properly supporting their preconceived view of the universe and existence.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 hrt_rulz01

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Grow up. Having your beliefs questioned doesn't make the party challenging them intolerant. It's a lazy defense mechanism used by people that are incapable of properly supporting their preconceived view of the universe and existence.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

Oh I miss these threads. Nothing compared to the 10+ page ones in the past but a nice sight nonetheless.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#96 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I believe we're in a simulation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: this whole string is like calling out a flat earther, and then whining about you being intolerant of their views

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

born and raised catholic. puts me squarely in the don't know, don't care camp now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#99  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59119 Posts
@SOedipus said:

Oh I miss these threads. Nothing compared to the 10+ page ones in the past but a nice sight nonetheless.

Haha yea, even by the thread title you can guess an atheist will try hijack it.

To OP, no idea. Guess I'll find out when the end credits role.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts
@indzman said:

I hate people who pretend their religion isn't open to scrutiny.

Religious immunity is a scary thing, something our world has become far too comfortable with.

These often 'Bronze Age' beliefs are unscientific and continue to live on through one's own cognitive dissonance.

The time and resources that goes into religion could have a much greater impact in society if spent elsewhere. In the US alone, it's estimated that a tax on the Church would generate ~$71 billion each year. Think about how much of an impact that would have if it went towards something useful like CRISPR or fusion energy.