Anti-Abortion Billboard In SoHo Targets Blacks, Sparks Outrage

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

What can you say about this?

Link.:o

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

They're obviously trying to offend people on purpose. Instead of producing a valid argument, they went lazy and used shock value instead.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
A better picture would have been an African-American embryo in an African-American womb.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Do people think shock value marketing actually works for things like this? Fear/Offensive mongering can only work for so many things.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
This is one of the times where outrage is completely justified. What the ****?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I understand that the message they're trying to convey is, "A lot of fetuses carried by black mothers are aborted each year, and that's a bad thing that should be stopped," but I cannot possibly think of a worse way to say it. Heck, one reading of this makes it seem like they're saying, "A lot of black people are born each year that grow up to be criminals, and that's a bad thing that should be stopped."

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Doesn't make sense because fetuses aren't citizens until birth so they can't be American/African American

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I understand that the message they're trying to convey is, "A lot of fetuses carried by black mothers are aborted each year, and that's a bad thing that should be stopped," but I cannot possibly think of a worse way to say it. Heck, one reading of this makes it seem like they're saying, "A lot of black people are born each year that grow up to be criminals, and that's a bad thing that should be stopped."

GabuEx

I'm not sure how you came to the bolded understanding.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
i dont see a real problem with the billboard. blacks i think have like the highest abortion rates so obviously targeting that group and making the statement is a sound arguement as to why abortion is bad. im not really seeing a big issue here. let them put whatever billboard they want up. lets stop worrying about offending people
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Wrong, its FEMA
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

My college is full of posters like that.

One new one is ,"pretend I'm a tree and save me."

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

i dont see a real problem with the billboard. blacks i think have like the highest abortion rates so obviously targeting that group and making the statement is a sound arguement as to why abortion is bad. im not really seeing a big issue here. let them put whatever billboard they want up. lets stop worrying about offending peoplekayoticdreamz
How effective could it be though? Anyone who is going to be bothered by that, probably isn't going to have an abortion in the first place, I'd reckon.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
I've heard the whole 'Planned Parenthood was rooted in a racist agenda' but this makes that look ridiculous.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700

I've heard the whole 'Planned Parenthood was rooted in a racist agenda' but this makes that look ridiculous.CptJSparrow
While maybe in poor taste, nothing about that ad is racist.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"]i dont see a real problem with the billboard. blacks i think have like the highest abortion rates so obviously targeting that group and making the statement is a sound arguement as to why abortion is bad. im not really seeing a big issue here. let them put whatever billboard they want up. lets stop worrying about offending peoplePirate700

How effective could it be though? Anyone who is going to be bothered by that, probably isn't going to have an abortion in the first place, I'd reckon.

who knows how effective it is or not. just saying lets not be outraged cause blacks might be offended by this.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Wow... not sure what to say to this.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

My college is full of posters like that.

One new one is ,"pretend I'm a tree and save me."

dercoo

:lol: Do the people putting those posters up not realize those are two COMPLETELY different situations?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pirate700

I'm also having some trouble arriving at that reading. I don't think there really is a clear racist message; I think it's just supposed to get attention because we assume there is one.

yahtzo900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yahtzo900
Member since 2003 • 1173 Posts
[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"]i dont see a real problem with the billboard. blacks i think have like the highest abortion rates so obviously targeting that group and making the statement is a sound arguement as to why abortion is bad. im not really seeing a big issue here. let them put whatever billboard they want up. lets stop worrying about offending people

Pretty much, but all that's going to happen is people are going to QQ about the billboard and get it taken down.
leonadasz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 leonadasz2
Member since 2011 • 52 Posts

GabuEx
Not necessarily a bad thing. Depends on the circumstances bro. Don't just state your opinions as fact. Sure abortion is unfortunate. but, the world is overpopulated as it is and not everyone can afford to take care of a child.
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
They are CLEARLY getting to the root cause of this problem with this billboard, thank God a complicated problem such as this could be summarized with a sentence and used to manipulate people on a billboard. Finally, humanity is evolving to a more sophisticated era.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

jimmyjammer69

I'm also having some trouble arriving at that reading. I don't think there really is a clear racist message; I think it's just supposed to get attention because we assume there is one.

This. The billboard is obviously supposed to grab your attention and cause controversy. I just hate all these Pro-Life ads.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
They are CLEARLY getting to the root cause of this problem with this billboard, thank God a complicated problem such as this could be summarized with a sentence and used to manipulate people on a billboard. Finally, humanity is evolving to a more sophisticated era. yabbicoke
I think you've hidden some sarcasm in this post and you want us to find it.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

My question is what race is going to vandalize this banner first? Blacks or whites? Or maybe some other race? O_o

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16007 Posts

I'm appalled. Such a message is worth being spit upon.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The message of "high abortion rate among black people" immediately crossed my mind, so I don't see what the big deal is. Then again, I'm not one to immediately go around spouting off things as "RACIST!" Now, you replace that girl with Buckwheat... maybe you got a point.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"]i dont see a real problem with the billboard. blacks i think have like the highest abortion rates so obviously targeting that group and making the statement is a sound arguement as to why abortion is bad. im not really seeing a big issue here. let them put whatever billboard they want up. lets stop worrying about offending peoplePirate700

Actually, I just skimemd the thread and though that's what it did mean. But then again my mind is ruined by ze internets.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Must. Not. Post. Racist. Remark.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

The message of "high abortion rate among black people" immediately crossed my mind, so I don't see what the big deal is. Then again, I'm not one to immediately go around spouting off things as "RACIST!" Now, you replace that girl with Buckwheat... maybe you got a point. JustPlainLucas
But it has a black person, clearly it's being racist.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts
WOW that is a big billboard.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas

But it has a black person, clearly it's being racist.

DigitalExile
Well... I think it makes sense. You wouldn't want a billboard that talks about how African-Americans have a high abortion rate and then put Macauly Culkin on it, would you? :o "AHHHHHHHHH!"
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JustPlainLucas
Some people will take it offensively, but, at same time, I wonder how true is this? Is abortion rate really bad among African Americans? I support abortion, but, if that's abortion abuse instead of valid abortion, I would certainly be worried.magicalclick
Yeah, it would have helped if they threw some numbers, at least a percentage.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nibroc420
Some people will take it offensively, but, at same time, I wonder how true is this? Is abortion rate really bad among African Americans? I support abortion, but, if that's abortion abuse instead of valid abortion, I would certainly be worried.magicalclick
These numbers are from Fox news :S so i dunno how believeable they are. Blacks do, indeed, have much higher rates of abortions than whites or other minority groups. In 2000, while blacks made up 17 percent of live births, they made up more than twice that share of abortions (36 percent). If those aborted children had been born, the number of blacks born would have been slightly over 50 percent greater than it was. Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348649,00.html#ixzz1Icjw9FA4
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

What can you say about this?

Link.:o

MrEnvelope

I support this billboard. It's not racist, it must be done by african-american group themself, to save unborn child from being murder

ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ravenhost91
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts
Its not really racist. Its statisically true that abortion rates among blacks in America is very high. Read freakonomics, it explains how, for whatever reason, the prevalence of abortion in the african american community the late 70s and 80s led to a decrease in violent crimes overall in the 90s and 2000s. Many pro-life advocates argue that abortion is simply a form of eugenics that stifles the growth of the african american community
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Says a lot about the typical anti-Abortionist imo.

ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ravenhost91

Vesica_Prime
Does it? Because the people who put up that billboard properly represent the nearly 50% of Americans who are pro-life? Didnt think so. maybe one day you can leave your liberal bubble and join the real world
leonadasz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 leonadasz2
[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

ravenhost91
Does it? Because the people who put up that billboard properly represent the nearly 50% of Americans who are pro-life? Didnt think so. maybe one day you can leave your liberal bubble and join the real world[/QUOTE At least he's listening to reason., Unlike most conservatrolls.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

ravenhost91

Does it? Because the people who put up that billboard properly represent the nearly 50% of Americans who are pro-life? Didnt think so. maybe one day you can leave your liberal bubble and join the real world

And people who are pro-choice are automatically trapped in their "liberal bubble"?

Leave your ignorant bubble and join the real world.

ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ravenhost91

[QUOTE="ravenhost91"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

leonadasz2

Does it? Because the people who put up that billboard properly represent the nearly 50% of Americans who are pro-life? Didnt think so. maybe one day you can leave your liberal bubble and join the real world[/QUOTE At least he's listening to reason., Unlike most conservatrolls.

"Im right, you're wrong - and a troll to boot." nj at your reasoned argument and your quote formatting

ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ravenhost91

Vesica_Prime

And people who are pro-choice are automatically trapped in their "liberal bubble"?

Only if they make erroneous assumptions and prejudices about pro-lifers aka erroneous assumptions and prejudices about half the American population. I confront you with facts and all you can do is evoke moral indignation?
leonadasz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 leonadasz2

[QUOTE="leonadasz2"][QUOTE="ravenhost91"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

ravenhost91

"Im right, you're wrong - and a troll to boot." nj at your reasoned argument and your quote formatting

It wasn't really an argument, was almost joking. It wasn't even directed at you specifically just at conservatives in general... (which you never stated which way you politically swing.) And who gives a **** about the quote formatting? Really guy? Really?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

[QUOTE="ravenhost91"]Does it? Because the people who put up that billboard properly represent the nearly 50% of Americans who are pro-life? Didnt think so. maybe one day you can leave your liberal bubble and join the real worldravenhost91

Only if they make erroneous assumptions and prejudices about pro-lifers aka erroneous assumptions and prejudices about half the American population. I confront you with facts and all you can do is evoke moral indignation?

Your earlier post said "nearly 50% of Americans" Now you're claiming "half the American population" Has it gone up that much in 5-10 minutes? Seems like your "Facts" are changing.
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

From a marketing standpoint, I think it is genius, however the big difference between pro lifers and pro choicers to me is that pro lifers want to dictate their opinions on people, while pro choicers want to leave it up to an individual.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JustPlainLucas
If you guys are going to argue and troll each other, at least fix your damned quote trees... :roll:
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="leonadasz2"] Back the **** up bro.

Don't you mean brah? :|
ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ravenhost91

Nibroc420

Your earlier post said "nearly 50% of Americans" Now you're claiming "half the American population" Has it gone up that much in 5-10 minutes? Seems like your "Facts" are changing.

It depends on the poll you are looking at. Gallup has 51% as pro life. Even higher than I had stated

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/more-americans-pro-life-than-pro-choice-first-time.aspx Im sure there are more recent ones.