Anti-Abortion Billboard In SoHo Targets Blacks, Sparks Outrage

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I just wonder why they wanted that effect. Like I said, there certainly are higher black abortion rates, but I see no reason why black abortions are more worthy of drawing attention to.

I couldn't say for sure, as I don't know too much about the group. For now, I guess I'll have to wait and see what their next billboard is about. Will it involve race? Will it involve finances as you previously mentioned? Time will tell I guess.

All in all, I think it might not have been the smartest move on their part, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Of course, being white I may not view it the exact same way as someone who is black.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#102 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] YellowOneKinobi

I just wonder why they wanted that effect. Like I said, there certainly are higher black abortion rates, but I see no reason why black abortions are more worthy of drawing attention to.

I couldn't say for sure, as I don't know too much about the group. For now, I guess I'll have to wait and see what their next billboard is about. Will it involve race? Will it involve finances as you previously mentioned? Time will tell I guess.

All in all, I think it might not have been the smartest move on their part, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Of course, being white I may not view it the exact same way as someone who is black.

Oh, it's definitely not the worst thing in the world and I don't neccesarily think the group had bad intentions. It's just not very constructive IMO.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#103 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I would only find it offensive if it was untrue. If the facts back it up, then people just need to deal with it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#104 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I would only find it offensive if it was untrue. If the facts back it up, then people just need to deal with it.

redstorm72

There's can be huge gulf between truth and rhetoric.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

GreySeal9

There's can be huge gulf between truth and rhetoric.

If more African American fetus's are aborted than African American's die of any other one cause, then I would consider it true. It was phrased poorly, but that's part of the shock value. At the very least, it makes you aware of the issue and think about it.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

If more African American fetus's are aborted than African American's die of any other one cause, then I would consider it true. It was phrased poorly, but that's part of the shock value. At the very least, it makes you aware of the issue and think about it.

redstorm72

And isn't that the whole point of the billboard to begin with?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

as a black male i'm just going to say that billboard is in bad taste, i'm all for making people aware about the situation but this ad is really going to do more damage then good.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Necrifer

And isn't that the whole point of the billboard to begin with?

Yup, that's why I'm surprised people are getting so offended by this. I don't really see how reality (assuming the billboard is true) can be offensive. It's definately shocking and something people should think about, but not something to get mad about. People shouldn't get angry just because someone pointed out an inconvenient truth, they should try and take steps to change that truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

My personal favorite side note is when the govenor of Missiissippi claimed he made his state the safest in the US for fetuses.. Yet his state is in fact the most dangerous in the US when it comes to postnatal care.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

My personal favorite side note is when the govenor of Missiissippi claimed he made his state the safest in the US for fetuses.. Yet his state is in fact the most dangerous in the US when it comes to postnatal care.

sSubZerOo

They say they want to make thw womb the safest place for a child, no one just expected they'd do it by making the world outside the womb more dangerous.