Zelda with happier plot, or darker?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
Topic^ What kind of plot/overall atmosphere do you want in the next Zelda? A dark one (Ex. Majoras Mask) or a happier plot? (Wind Waker) Personally Id like to see a darker plot. Twilight Princess didnt feel right, the plot wasnt exactly as dark as Majora IMO, and Majoras Mask was phenomenal.
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts

Zelda with minimalist plot. Screw the dialogue, let the game world tell the story.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are my all-time favourite Zelda games, so whichever is fine by me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

Zelda with minimalist plot. Screw the dialogue, let the game world tell the story.

Michael85
seconded.
slyfox_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slyfox_28
Member since 2007 • 204 Posts

I guess in a was MM was kinda of dark witht he whole end of the world theme, but I feel the TP was a lot more darker. It seemed like even though the end of the world was coming in MM the most of the NPC didn't really seem to upset about compared to all of the pissed off NPCs in TP. Remember the villages and the Zoras. Just a thought.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Neither, I want a happy calm world with turbulent undertones then open pure chaos upon it to contrast with a darker world (much like oot but up the scale significantly please).

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
[QUOTE="-Oath"]Topic^ What kind of plot/overall atmosphere do you want in the next Zelda? A dark one (Ex. Majoras Mask) or a happier plot? (Wind Waker) Personally Id like to see a darker plot. Twilight Princess didnt feel right, the plot wasnt exactly as dark as Majora IMO, and Majoras Mask was phenomenal.

i agree with this. TP just had a dark art style, which i didnt feel was properly shown in the story. id love to see another dark game, majoras mask is one of my favorites
Toothpick91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Toothpick91
Member since 2008 • 229 Posts
I would realy like to see a darker plot and world. maybe add a little more blood n more mature stuff. kinda MM style i dont think they would bring back the mask transform but maybe somthin like it i always like to be able to switch from all of the characters. they should do somthin with FEIRCE DEITY idk just hav tu wait n c :)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
If they do it dark, they have to do it right. What they did with Twilight Princess was not right. What they did with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was not right. If they can pull off how to do a 'dark' video game properly, then do it -- if not, then stick to happy. Either way I don't really care as long as the series gets a change from the tired and true formula it has as of now.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

majora's mask style was good......... it implied dark, but didn't shove it in your face and make it literal (like another recent zelda game)

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

no preference, as long as it is good

zeldafreak178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zeldafreak178
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I really liked the style presented in Twlilight Princess. It was dark, but had somewhat of a love story(midna).

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

I really liked the style presented in Twlilight Princess. It was dark, but had somewhat of a love story(midna).

zeldafreak178
uh... midna wasnt... that other girl... who link restored memory to, she was much more romantic as far as... aah ive lost all wll to argue... stupid other thread...
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts

I think they're all kind of dark.

The King of Evil wants to destroy a kingdom using hordes of monsters to do his bidding.

I'd say that's pretty dark.

But as for atmosphere, I prefer either one. Just as long as the game is good.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#15 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I'd like a much darker plot for the Wii Zelda. If it doesn't work, then they can go back to a happier WW plot.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
I wouldn't mind a darker one but only if it becomes very dark, ganon killing people, link all scared up whole towns being destroyed out by monsters
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

Darker much darker. Link should be flipping ppl off and sleeping with random chicks.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Both I liked the Happier Feel of Wind Waker, and I liked the Darker Plot of Link to the Past. They could pull a Link to the Past and have one version be Completely Happy with Bright VividColors and then have another thing where the game Artstyle changed and became lack of Color and darker.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Dark, nintendo has plenty of other games with a lighter atmosphere which is why I like Zelda games to have a more dark and serious tone. Twilight Princess did it reasonably well (even if the haters of that game dont think so), I also think Vaati should be the main villain this time. And just to make him a bit more evil and over the top he should destroy or wipe out some people link has grown close to in the game, it would only make his evil that much more threatening.

ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts

Neither, I want a happy calm world with turbulent undertones then open pure chaos upon it to contrast with a darker world (much like oot but up the scale significantly please).

SapSacPrime

That would be pretty awesome.

ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts

majora's mask style was good......... it implied dark, but didn't shove it in your face and make it literal (like another recent zelda game)

fluffy_kins

Phantom Hourglass? :P

link027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 link027
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts
Darker
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

Darker much darker. Link should be flipping ppl off and sleeping with random chicks.

Hungry_Jello

The Legend of Zelda: Fables!

Anyway, I'd also prefer a darker plot, as Majora's mask was able to significantly creep me out. They'll likely going for the realistic feel again, as the DS seems to be Toon Link's new home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
A mix of both.
everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

I just want a great game. Dark or Light, just as long as its like the previous games. I have to say though. I am worried about Nintendo focusing too much on DS games for Zelda, they are great and all but nothing beats OoT or TP on an LCD. Just give me some awesome game play, incredible storyline and some nostalgic connections to previous games.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

I think one thing that would make a game darker would be to have barely any safe havens. Towns and Villages were always safe. Bring in random monster attacks so that you get a feeling that no place in Hyrule is safe. Also maybe a couple of villians could team up like a legion of Doom. Ganon and Vaati maybe?

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

dark.

I want link doing immoral things for the greater good.

Everytime theres a thread like this I refer to Jak II one of my favorite games

you worked for the mafia and were essentially a terrorist against the highly oppressive government. You killed people all for the sake of crushing the evil government

I want something along those lines

He's doing bad things in the name of justice

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#28 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

I would like a really dark game with Wind Waker style graphics. That style seems just perfect for the themes Majora's Mask was toying with. Either that or some other really cool style that hasn't been in a Zelda game yet. Then again, I'm liking the happy whimsical look and feel of Spirit Tracks for DS. To be honest, I'll eat up anything "Zelda" that Nintendo feeds me.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

As long as it's awesome, it can go either way for me. If I had to choose, I would like to see a WW style Zelda. With the additional horsepower, Nintendo would make it look amazing. Think about it.

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts

i would like to have a dark plot with regular graphics. I dont want cellshading graphics

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I would have been perfectly satisfied with Twilight Princess' plot had it not been for the fact that [spoiler] Zelda comes back. The point where she disappeared was probably the biggest "WTF" moment in a Zelda game ever, and I thought it was muddied by the fact that she wasn't actually gone for good. [/spoiler]

So I suppose darker.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#32 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
The plots are usually all pretty similar in my eyes. But the atmosphere is better when th game captures that other-worldiness feeling. To me, the game that best captured this is Windwaker. TP (although I've spent more time playing it) is not as memorable in it's portrayal of Hyrule etc. The under-stated graphics and dimmed palette actually depressed me a bit. Windwaker felt like a real fantasy.
Avatar image for TwilightSoilder
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TwilightSoilder
Member since 2007 • 1831 Posts
I definitely preferred WW's story style to TP's.
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
I liked TP's story and darker feel. I have not played MM yet but I have beaten OOT, WW, and TP now. I must say TP is probably the best out of them
IamSquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IamSquat
Member since 2009 • 108 Posts

I would like a darker plot. They seem to be a lot more suspenseful.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Hungry_Jello

I don't think that constitutes as "dark" but I would pay to play such a game.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

darker plot

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

I want a REALLY dark game. So dark that I would be scared to go to sleep at night.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

A mix of both like link to the past. Zelda is not freaking God of War so I don't want it trying to be some actiony - serious fest that takes itself so damn strongly. It needs to be a mix so everyone can enjoy it.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

i want light and dark worlds.

like in OoT, light (young link) and dark (adult link). or like in aLttP.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

I want Wind Waker 2. Nuff said.

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Scooby Doo plot :P, sorry I just saw Waynes World

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Extremely Dark Plot. Something like the world is facing an apocalyptic future because of something inexplicable and the world only has few remaining civilized states that are in control.

A Zelda game where the sun doesn't even shine at all even at noon should set that mood.

wetwilli64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wetwilli64
Member since 2008 • 464 Posts

No preference. They are have all been good in their own way and will continue to be good, no matter what atmosphere they are set in.

Mike885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mike885
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

I definatly want it darker, not like windwaker. I want it dark like how it was in ocarina, where it wouldn't be happy much of the time, while in windwaker a lot of the time it was happy.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Extremely Dark Plot. Something like the world is facing an apocalyptic future because of something inexplicable and the world only has few remaining civilized states that are in control.

A Zelda game where the sun doesn't even shine at all even at noon should set that mood.

Desulated

Too dark :P

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
With the next one, it's hard to say. Honestly I'm expecting it to be a much larger leap for Zelda, and I think it will include vocal dialogue at least. Despite that, I would expect to see it darker than what we've seen on the DS. I don't think many gamers expect this generation to be entirely composed of happier Link (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, I'm not counting TP) so I'm expecting something along the lines of Twilight Princess. If it's a little darker than TP was, that's fine with me as long as they don't overdo it.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

WW was a little too cheery for me. i think most of that was the art style, it looked amazing, but nothing looked really dark. the Earthtemple (i think) showed this as the boss (the giant poe) was completely comedic. they didnt even try to make it a gruesome monster. same thing with phantom ganon

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

SapSacPrime
I am thinking basically the same thing.
fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

The altogether story behind the zelda legend is that for the world to regenerate via a wish from the completed triforce from a representative from one of triforce piece holders courage= link, knowledge=zelda, power=gannon and this happens every generation.

so what actually happens with Gannon in stone in an underwater hyrule? Maybe in the next game set at an almost modern world where the world is dying. Link + Zelda must raise hyrule and resurrect Gannon to make the wish to rejuvenate the world

Link could be a soldier with a bayonet and Zelda could be an Ashley type character