WTF is with the bad games, and few good ones

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DukeIgthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DukeIgthorn
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

The development cycle that most games take is pretty long. Knowing that, when the Wii was first announced, I don't think most developers had any clue as to how successful it would become. So I'm guessing that they all decided to go with the surefire x360 which had an already impressive install base, which is why we are seeing a lot of really good games come out for it right now. The biggest problem with the Wii now, is that all the big publishers are pushing out unfinished games in the hopes to cash in on the holiday shopping season. This is resulting with potentially promising titles like the Soul Caliber entry being put on the market when they're not even done yet.

Everyone is scrambling to get on the Wii bandwagon before all the hype dies down and ironically, nothing will kill hype faster than unhappy consumers, which is what the publishers are doing when they throw stuff out the door in hopes of making a quick buck.

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts

[QUOTE="ag1052"]what do you mean "Maybe Nintendo needs new managment or something" dont blame nintendo because third parties keep making crap on the wii... bill7907

They could at least teach those 3rd parties how to really configure the settings for that motion sensing controller.

Don't always put the blame on the other companies.

Teach the thrid parties??? Thats absurd.... its not like third parties cant make great games without nintendos help. There are some great third party titles out there and the reason they are out there is because those companies put the money and time needed to make a top quality game.

Plus most of these games like Jenga are made to be subpar... it doesnt matter how long nintendo works with these companies and how perfect they get the controls... in the end the best it can ever be is still freakin Jenga.

whostolemysoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 whostolemysoul
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

well actually i thought the same as all of you. ive had the wii since launch and have always had nintendo consoles. and yes i do own every top wii title, as well as a bunch of trash titles. but a few weeks ago i decided to get a 360 because i wanted to play bioshock, the orange box, gears of war, call of duty 4 and all the great games that get all the publicity and whatever and man i have to admit. this nintendo fan boy was blown away. now i love my wii, but the 360 is AWESOME. Gears of War has become my favorite game of all time. I havent even touched my Wii since I got the 360. And I dont see myself goin back to it for a lil while. But the wii is awesome in its own right controls wise, but 360 controls are not bad even tho its button mashing. best controller besides wii ever imo. but the graphics, and physics of the 360 surpass the wii and gameplay is just as awesome.

So if you are unhappy with your wii get a 360. u will be happy

rustyshark
take out the fanboy part and you quite literally stole my post... the wii just isn't doing what it is made to do, and allthough a lot of us do want it to take a more "mature" path (not as in M game mature, but as in wtf is jenga and other hella kiddy games doing here?! if I wanted to play janga I'd go to my closet and look long and hard for it.... as someone suggested nintendo should have "minimum requirements"for companies.... because the wii is a sinking ship gamewise, and I'm just happy I jumped off of it in time to be rescued by the 360... once again don't get me wrong or anything, I do enjoy the wii to some extent but until 3rd parties get serious, I'll be jumping off of rooftops in jerusalem (AC) on my 360
whostolemysoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 whostolemysoul
I think what devs are doing are seeing that the main people buying the wii are in the younger age group. So they just make quick crappy games that seem to appeal to small children. That way parents buy them for there kids. They also use the trick of introducing a game on the very popular DS and then make a crap wii game, parents already know this brand and series because they bought it for there kids a year ago and now they decide to buy a 50 dollar version of it for there kids. At least this is the case with Brain Age and Big Brain Academy, and Cooking momma IMO.Minishdriveby
thats not true at all the age group thats the largest (consumerwise) is young (adult) -mid ageadult
Djinnator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Djinnator
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts
The way i dealt with this problem is that I didn't buy any of these bad games(Wii play excluded, i bought it because I couldn't find any wii-motes), then I purchased an Xbox360 back in September and at least five games for it.I still have my Wii and I intend to increase my game library over christmas and this coming year, along with my 360 library. Don't worry too much aboutthird party developers, unless someone says "I want to tell you about this great game by..." then look into it.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I really didn't want to get into one of these "Wii sux 360 roolz!" discussions.

..."discussions" is the wrong word. Whatever.

But since there's no sign of Mods around here, I'm guessing the topic is open for business.

Ok, here we go:

1) No devs expected the Wii to be successful, so they quickly ported games onto it.

2) If the devs didn't port anything, nobody would buy a Wii because there wouldn't be any games for it. It doesn't matter if they're good or not. I know for a fact that uneducated people who don't know anything about games typically choose a system when the system has the widest selection of games available. "Oh, this system has so many games, it must be a good system." That's what happened to the Gamecube, no games = "Why should I buy this? There aren't any games on the shelf for it."

3) When more systems are purchased, more games are purchased. What does this mean for the Devs? More money. What can devs do with more money? Invest it into better games. Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh...business 101 right here. Then what happens? It goes in a cycle: More systems sold, more games made. More systems sold, more games, and so on. Isn't that what happened with the PS1 and PS2???!?!?!?!??!???!?!?!? Hmmm......Wait! By the end of the first year, didn't the PS1 and PS2 have some of the best 3rd party support of all time?!?!?!? WOW!!! Who would'a thunk?

4) If bad games bother you, don't buy 'em. Don't look at them, don't think about them, Don't. Buy. Them. They'll never bother you again.

Just buy the good games. You say there aren't that many, but...wha...whaz this??? Oh my God! Good Games!!! And that list hasn't been updated in months.

No good games coming up in the future??? I guess you're righ...oh no! Look out, it's heading this wa***BLAAWWW***

So maybe you only like FPS's. Well, my friend, then you chose the wrong system, didn't you?

Now run off, little chum.

Djinnator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Djinnator
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts

Ok Bob_newman, you come in here with your facts and parade them around as if there are the truth :P. It was the best post by far, but i think there is a better "good wii games" thread somewhere that isn't as outdated, i'll look it up and maybe post it.

EDIT: looks like I cannot find any good wii game threads, but the games are there nonetheless

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

You mean it's the 3rd party's fault that they are releasing crap on the Wii, not Nintendo's. Also what is wrong with NIGHTS, don't ever bag NIGHTS because you probably haven't played it before and ifevery 3rd partyput this much effort into their support for the Wii then the Wii wouldn't have a shortage on good 3rd party games would they now.

nintendave86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 nintendave86
Member since 2007 • 228 Posts
All the good wii games are made by nintendo anyway, so why would nintendo need new management ?!
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

2) If the devs didn't port anything, nobody would buy a Wii because there wouldn't be any games for it. It doesn't matter if they're good or not. I know for a fact that uneducated people who don't know anything about games typically choose a system when the system has the widest selection of games available. "Oh, this system has so many games, it must be a good system." That's what happened to the Gamecube, no games = "Why should I buy this? There aren't any games on the shelf for it."

bob_newman

Ihardly think the Wii's huge sales figures can be attributed to the stack of crappy 3rd party games it has. The Wii's innovative controller is selling systems.If any game is selling Wiis, it's Wii Sports.

Androu1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Androu1
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

So maybe you only like FPS's. Well, my friend, then you chose the wrong system, didn't you?bob_newman

The Wii may lack FPS,but I think FPS play best on the Wii...Weird...

Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]So maybe you only like FPS's. Well, my friend, then you chose the wrong system, didn't you?Androu1

The Wii may lack FPS,but I think FPS play best on the Wii...Weird...

I feel the same way...can't go back to using analog sticks after I've used the Wiimote.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

aransom

Ihardly think the Wii's huge sales figures can be attributed to the stack of crappy 3rd party games it has. The Wii's innovative controller is selling systems.If any game is selling Wiis, it's Wii Sports.

But you're not new to the gaming world. You know when you see a crappy game, but a newcomer doesn't. They see the cheaper price (of both the console and the shovelware games) and they think they're making a wiser investment.

Yes, Wii Sports is ultimately what people gravitate towards, but honestly, they wouldn't buy the system if it was the only game available. It is a combination of things.

Again, without 3rd party support, your system won't sell. You do need good 3rd party support to make it in the long run, but within the first year, they're just trying to cash in quickly so they can put more money into their next game.

This company is an exception. I doubt they plan any good games any time soon.

By the way, watch that video on that site. It's freaking hilarious.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Maybe. I've always thought that Nintendo could get along just fine without any 3rd party support.Even though it was last, the Gamecube was financially sucessful. Besides, if I buy every top tier 1st and 2nd party title, I've used up most of my videogame budget anyway. Any 3rd party game I really want to play is usually on PC.

whostolemysoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 whostolemysoul
[QUOTE="rustyshark"]

well actually i thought the same as all of you. ive had the wii since launch and have always had nintendo consoles. and yes i do own every top wii title, as well as a bunch of trash titles. but a few weeks ago i decided to get a 360 because i wanted to play bioshock, the orange box, gears of war, call of duty 4 and all the great games that get all the publicity and whatever and man i have to admit. this nintendo fan boy was blown away. now i love my wii, but the 360 is AWESOME. Gears of War has become my favorite game of all time. I havent even touched my Wii since I got the 360. And I dont see myself goin back to it for a lil while. But the wii is awesome in its own right controls wise, but 360 controls are not bad even tho its button mashing. best controller besides wii ever imo. but the graphics, and physics of the 360 surpass the wii and gameplay is just as awesome.

So if you are unhappy with your wii get a 360. u will be happy

PATRIOTREBORN77
360 sucks all it has is mindless shooters

don't try to drag this into a system wars topic, and on top of that its not all it has >_> AC isn't a shooter in any manner whatsoever... and the general message is get another "next gen" system...
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

First off i must say i'm shock with all the hate with the PS3 since well I love my PS3 ( I own all systems) and own 11 games for it. Back to the topic I must agree that alot of crappy titles do come up on the wii, but you know what it seems that the Wii is this gens PS2 and you remember all the shovel ware that system got. Also not all 3rd party games suck. Just because you dont like them example being NIGHTS doesint make your words fact.

I own 16 wii games and out of that 16 4 is first party so yea im enjoying some of the 3rd party games. I also cant wait for NMH,Rygar(since I didint play the PS2 version and this version is suppose to be better), DQ sword, Day of disaster and FFCC not the wiiware one. The only first party game i'm looking forward to next year is SSBB. So yea again popular system= a ton of shovel ware. Hey it happens you just gatta accept it.

dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
Ask the PlayStation