WiiU was made with wifi in mind

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a couple days ago i hooked up my wiiU to a wired connection with my official ninty lan adaptor....i was hoping download speeds would improve...

but guess what? it's slower. i was trying to re-download tekken today (15GB)....wired connection was slow as hell 1% every 10 min then after awhile 3% in 1 hour!

so i went back to wifi....and bam...% started moving much faster.

maybe that's why there is no ethernet port....it was made for wifi.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

15gb would take me a day or two to download, over wifi or cable. speedtest now gets me at 5.23mbps. 12 months ago it was 3.23mbps

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I bought the adapter for my Wii years ago and I also noticed it was much slower. Never used it since.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Have you read any literature on gigabit Ethernet vs. USB?

They aren't equal, and there are a lot of variables, but Ethernet usually comes out as the champion due to a variety of factors. Of course, there are a variety of Ethernet types as well as USB types. At first appearance, you would think they are equal, or in fact just look at the bus rates and assume USB has the advantage, but there is overhead protocol to consider as well as your actual internet speed. It's messy, the best thing to do is conduct proper tests repeadedly which we can't do entirely.

We'll never know, because our Wii U's have no ethernet port for us to conduct proper complete tests :

WiFi vs. USB 2.0 vs. Ethernet.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

They aren't equal, and there are a lot of variables, but Ethernet usually comes out as the champion due to a variety of factors. Of course, there are a variety of Ethernet types as well as USB types. At first appearance, you would think they are equal, or in fact just look at the bus rates and assume USB has the advantage, but there is overhead protocol to consider as well as your actual internet speed. It's messy, the best thing to do is conduct proper tests repeadedly which we can't do entirely.

We'll never know, because our Wii U's have no ethernet port for us to conduct proper complete tests :

SolidTy

oh i see... the fact that it connects using usb means its not a true ethernet wired connection..

but..

ethernet transports 125MB/s of data...and usb 2.0 is only 60MB/s....but my internet is only 2MB/s download speed anyway...so it shouldn't matter?

well...wifi works better for me than the lan adpator...the other poster had the same expeirence. so just connect wifi people..

thnx for that bit of clarification solidty..

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

KBFloYd

oh i see... the fact that it connects using usb means its not a true ethernet wired connection..

but..

ethernet transports 125MB/s of data...and usb 2.0 is only 60MB/s....but my internet is only 2MB/s download speed anyway...so it shouldn't matter?

well...wifi works better for me than the lan adpator...the other poster had the same expeirence. so just connect wifi people..

thnx for that bit of clarification solidty..

Hey, no problem. :)