Wii won't turn on!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GhostPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GhostPoet
Member since 2003 • 731 Posts

OK, I haven't turned on my Wii in quite a few months. (maybe 5) and I went to turn it on a minute ago and it won't do it. I've checked the power cord and it's all plugged in...but the Wii just won't turn on.

err...anyone have any ideas?

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
It's dead. Call tech support.
GhostPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GhostPoet
Member since 2003 • 731 Posts
er..how could it be dead? I haven't even used it :P
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

er..how could it be dead? I haven't even used it :PGhostPoet

Call Nintendo

Number's in my sig

pspmax022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 pspmax022
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts
all tech support.or buy a new one.i think i know what id do.
lrrydaqcumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 lrrydaqcumber
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts

[QUOTE="GhostPoet"]er..how could it be dead? I haven't even used it :PJaysonguy

Call Nintendo

Number's in my sig

yeah call nintendo.......

that sucks.......

pspmax022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 pspmax022
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts
yeah it sucks indeed.if mine went out like that id kill someone.(preferably a bad guy so i dont get in trouble lol).but no really that would suck.sorry dude.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Don't listen to these people, set it on fire. That always works.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
Try a different outlet. If it is in a power strip perhaps you need to reset it since it got a surge?
reinchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 reinchester
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts

Don't listen to these people, set it on fire. That always works.Duckman5

It's funny that you say that. Fire is my universal answer to all problems.

Hate cats? Add Fire.

Got Algebra? Use FIre for quicker answer.

Need to destroy an evil maniacs facility while providing warmth to the orphan children (who also by happenstance must be sacrificed to cthulu)? OH YEAH DEFINITLEY FIRE.

bobhoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bobhoggy
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts
this will work for sure
Try a different outlet. If it is in a power strip perhaps you need to reset it since it got a surge?meimnobody
HDShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 HDShadow
Member since 2005 • 2241 Posts
I read that you've got to at least boot up the Wii once every month or 2, or it'll do this. You should've tried bowling a few games on Wii Sports every month...
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts
Did you unplug it and then plug it back in? Did you press thepower button down for several seconds?
Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
maybe the outlet you have it plugged into is dead. try plugging it into another outlet in the room.
stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts

I read that you've got to at least boot up the Wii once every month or 2, or it'll do this. You should've tried bowling a few games on Wii Sports every month...HDShadow

:lol:. Wow. Okay well I'm going to assume it has been plugged up for this entire time. 5 months sounds like plenty of time for a rogue thunderstorm or a power-outage. If you've had one then there's a good chance that your power cable was damaged and isn't working. This happened to me. I thought my console was dead and gone, but Nintendo shipped me another adapter for free and it turned right on.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
Did you have WiiConnect24 on? I've seen and heard reports of it bricking consoles that haven't been turned on for months since the fan doesn't cool it off when on standby. Most of the time, it causes green dots to appear on screen thanks to the gpu getting to hot, but occasionally it can brick wiis.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

Don't listen to these people, set it on fire. That always works.Duckman5

I dont know when I did that to my Wii Nintendo said they wouldn't fix it anymore, so I would ring them first and take their advice. LOL

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 awptimistic
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

Did you have WiiConnect24 on? I've seen and heard reports of it bricking consoles that haven't been turned on for months since the fan doesn't cool it off when on standby. Most of the time, it causes green dots to appear on screen thanks to the gpu getting to hot, but occasionally it can brick wiis. catfishmoon23

this guy is lying... you've seen a wii brick itself while wiiconnect24 was on. you've acutlaly seen it with your own eyes. You know nothing. I have my wiiconnect24 on and havnt touched my wii in over 3-4 months.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Did you have WiiConnect24 on? I've seen and heard reports of it bricking consoles that haven't been turned on for months since the fan doesn't cool it off when on standby. Most of the time, it causes green dots to appear on screen thanks to the gpu getting to hot, but occasionally it can brick wiis. catfishmoon23

Stop repeating lies and misinformation. Wiiconnect24 doesn't damage wiis. Those green dots are from the gpu failing due to a defective heatsink Defective heatsinks were the cause and those are largely restriced to launch units. Bother to research graphic cards for pcs often they have defective batches that have the same green dot artifacting appear after several months and guess what it's due to the graphics card being used and the pc being on.

You do realize the fan doesn't protect the system at all right? It's not the thing that protects the circuit boards from overheating it's the heatsinks.

The thing that will brick a console is you having a power surge while updating the firmware. Hence why wiiconnect24 doesn't do firmware or software updates. You have to initalize it.

wii4panta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wii4panta
Member since 2007 • 2886 Posts

Unplug everything and wait for about 1 hour.It should work.

property2r145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 property2r145
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts

[QUOTE="catfishmoon23"]Did you have WiiConnect24 on? I've seen and heard reports of it bricking consoles that haven't been turned on for months since the fan doesn't cool it off when on standby. Most of the time, it causes green dots to appear on screen thanks to the gpu getting to hot, but occasionally it can brick wiis. awptimistic

I hope you're not in for a surprise when you try to turn your Wii on. :P

this guy is lying... you've seen a wii brick itself while wiiconnect24 was on. you've acutlaly seen it with your own eyes. You know nothing. I have my wiiconnect24 on and havnt touched my wii in over 3-4 months.

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 awptimistic
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
. . .. i have my wii turned on right now... and no, im not surprised? Everything is working perfectly?
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
Your Wii is dead.
socrtrv16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 socrtrv16
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
take the plug out of the back of the wii then put it back in thats what i have to do when my wii overheats.. my fan in my wii broke:cry:
property2r145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 property2r145
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts

. . .. i have my wii turned on right now... and no, im not surprised? Everything is working perfectly?awptimistic

I was joking, hence the emoticon. I didn´t actually expect your Wii to be broken, because there is a minimal chance it would be and that would have been very coincidential.

Since you insist on maintaining your attitude of arrogance, allow me to point out why your previous post was bollocks.

awptimistic

1."this guy is lying.."
Let´s assume catfishmoon23´s information is incorrect. I don´t know, but let´s. In this case, he would not be intentionally telling you something different from the truth, rather merely conveying information he heard deemed to be true. He´s not lying, whether he´s right or not.

2. "you've seen a wii brick itself while wiiconnect24 was on. you've acutlaly seen it with your own eyes."
It does not have to have happened to catfishmoon23 himself in order for the information to be correct.

3. In order to see it "with his own eyes" the defect would have to occurr while he is watching his Wii. The chance for this to happen is minimal. Provided he is not present when the defect occurs, does not mean it did not happen.

4. Moreover, even if he were staring at his Wii while WiiConnect24 was bricking his Wii he wouldn't see a damn thing because he can't look inside, genius.

5. "You know nothing"
His knowledge is completely irrelevant and this is just an argument ad hominem.

6. "I have my wiiconnect24 on and havnt touched my wii in over 3-4 months."
Congratulations on the reasoning. Just because your Wii hasn't had a fault in a few months doesn't mean it can't happen to anyone.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="catfishmoon23"]Did you have WiiConnect24 on? I've seen and heard reports of it bricking consoles that haven't been turned on for months since the fan doesn't cool it off when on standby. Most of the time, it causes green dots to appear on screen thanks to the gpu getting to hot, but occasionally it can brick wiis. awptimistic

wow man, just wow...

I said I've seen and heard reports, I never said it was true that it bricks consoles.

I have a link to a thread a read a while back: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=69884&page=4

I looked back at it today and found that one guy explained the problem was heatsinks being applied improperly like the other guy in this thread who corrected me said. Sorry I was wrong lol, but it stilldoesn't give you the right tocall somene liar especially whenhe/she thinkshe/she ishelping someone out. Just correct me like the other guy did.

jeffokiecorry2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 jeffokiecorry2
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

I have had this happen a couple times...same Wii. I have no idea why, first one was a surprise, second was today due to a power flash. I just waited, left it all unplugged, and it turned on a few hours later...

Like I said, I have no idea why it happened, but hey as long as I can still use it...once in a while.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts
I have artifacts on my wii, but it comes and goes. I noticed it when i was playing wii sports( a month after i got it) I called for a repair but never went lol. I can't go now because i did something naughty with my wii that voids the warrenty. The artifacts really don't bother me, it barely shows up. When it does show up it is apparent mostly on particle effects but thats when it the artfacts show up before i start the game. Why ur wii won't turn on, well someone siad something about a power outage. Thats seems the most logical. Thats y i have a power surge protector thing. I have never heard any electronic dying because of not being used for a while except for batteries. I pretty sure Nintendo would have planned there system to be ok during a scenerio like this.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Power surge....Good luck
kubicek1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kubicek1994
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

Try all of these.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/power.jsp#no_power

OKcatthief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OKcatthief
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Unplug the power cord from the back of the Wii and from the power outlet. Wait 5 minutes and plug them back in. Nintendo had me do this and it worked. HTH
nukeboy14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 nukeboy14
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

pack it up and go to the store you brought it from and then exchange the ac adapter

NOTE: this will only work if you have a prob with your adapter, not your wii! but it worked for me, my wii is up and running, and you must always unplug it after gameplay

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Happened to me too, twice in a day, after two blackouts. Apparently the Wii has an internal safety system that disconnects the power supply to avoid damage in case of power shortage. It turns back on by itself after a few minutes.

Although I think you would have known by now if this was the case.

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts

This happened to me once (although i had played it the day before) I kept pushing the power button and the power button on the remote but nothing would happen. I tried holding it down and still nothing. But after about 4 minutes of constant pushing it eventually worked.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts
This has happened to me aswell. When I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in again, it worked fine
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
Geeze, that's a rough problem to have. Good luck getting it all worked out.
jhorto1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 jhorto1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Going to join in the chorus. Unplug it, wait a half hour or so and plug it back in. It's happened twice to me now.

I only turn on the Wii every few months since they decided to turn it into a system for Moms.

Not sure why it works. I unplugged it and plugged it into another outlet, no luck. Tried a third outlet, no luck again.

Waited 30 minutes and plugged it into the original outlet and it worked fine. Strange, but true.

chriswyatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chriswyatt
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Yep, same problem. Happened today when I moved the Wii to a different plug socket. I've had it a couple of times before. When it first happened to my brothers Wii I guessed it would be a good idea to unplug it for a while and come back to it, and it worked!

helmet2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 helmet2
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
If you have a voltmeter that measures DC you could check the voltage output from the power brick to see if its a power supply problem or not.
ishtiak2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ishtiak2001
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Same thing happened to my Wii. Yesterday I noticed that there was no power light on the Wii, I checked power, everything seems to be ok but Wii won't turn on. I thought for a while I smoked my Wii. I called Wii help line. The rep advised me to unplug Wii cord from console and also from power outlet and leave it for 2 minutes. When I plugged power cord to Wii and power outlet, my Wii came back on. Thanks God.I hope this will work.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

OK, I haven't turned on my Wii in quite a few months. (maybe 5) and I went to turn it on a minute ago and it won't do it. I've checked the power cord and it's all plugged in...but the Wii just won't turn on.

err...anyone have any ideas?

GhostPoet
the wii hates you as much as you hate the wii , thats the whole reson it wont turn on :P
Petredis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Petredis123
My wii isn't working and I was playing it last night does anyone know how to fix it?
Petredis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Petredis123
where can i get the Nintendo address for a new wii console? Anyone at all know?
Petredis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Petredis123
WHATS YOUR TRICK TO KEEPING YOU WII ALIVE?
Clayton327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Clayton327
kick it , if that doesnt work ,, plug it in