Thoughs on the next Gameboy and its connection to the Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
The last time we saw the Gameboy re-engineered  it was smaller and called the Micro.  Not much was given to the though of the Micro and many wondered why Nintendo did it in the first place.  Perhaps it was a test for things to come. 

What if Nintendo stopped producing the hard GB cart, and started producing  a new GB, one much like a iPod, that could connect to your Wii, provide both extra storage space for the Wii (20 gigs or so), play VC games, GB VC games, both on the Wii and on the device itself, and no longer took carts as games but instead relied on virtual storage and / or SD cards?  I'm thinking that the next GB will be just that, a external that can connect to the Wii.  No more GB players, no more GB carts.  Rather a Wii-GamePod.  Maybe the Wii has more stuff going for it that we can currently foresee.
XxLoStxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XxLoStxX
Member since 2005 • 576 Posts
Not a bad idea...
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts
I like the way you think my friend. I wanna buy the micro so i can play my fav game Lttp.
ryustruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ryustruck
Member since 2005 • 3016 Posts

I like the way you think my friend. I wanna buy the micro so i can play my fav game Lttp.krystians

caved in and got a micro awhile ago

ITS AWESOME

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts

[QUOTE="krystians"]I like the way you think my friend. I wanna buy the micro so i can play my fav game Lttp.ryustruck

caved in and got a micro awhile ago

ITS AWESOME

Awww! I returned my one year ago about. I had the Famicon one.
linkdragon642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 linkdragon642
Member since 2004 • 1096 Posts
I never got a micro. Never saw the point; I already had two GBA models, and a DS.
moheevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moheevi
Member since 2007 • 304 Posts
major copyright and trademark infringment obviously ensue.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
how would you buy games? that would totally split the market. But Nintendo has doen that many times before with the Gameboy and survived, so who knows
ZeldaMAN95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 ZeldaMAN95
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
 the next gb is going to be the ds 2 that is a little micro chip and when you press the button it blows up in your hand and it like a virtual and holographic and you can change the size of the screen and it has hd graphics and plays wii games nes snes gc and n64 all with the holographic controller morphing to different forums and shapes to make a new controller and the DS2 will be so successful that Microsoft and Sony give in so it could play every sings game system ever built!!!
coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 coonana
Member since 2003 • 5909 Posts
I think you said the Micro did not sell well. If you did that is not true it has sold pretty darn good esp for how cheap it was to make.
monopolyloser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 monopolyloser
Member since 2003 • 287 Posts
How about this new Game Boy player supports iTunes, so it can play MP3s? That would be cool. Because every device out now has to play MP3s, other than MP3 players. Which play MP4s. Great idea. I like it alot!!!
-CUBE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -CUBE-
Member since 2006 • 708 Posts
igame lol great solgan
Dust24311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dust24311
Member since 2004 • 1215 Posts
Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
[QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

Can an external USB hard drive play games? The answer is no. This is a great idea but I thought Nintendo stopped the Gameboy line of products after the Micro.
Dust24311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dust24311
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

Can an external USB hard drive play games? The answer is no. This is a great idea but I thought Nintendo stopped the Gameboy line of products after the Micro.

You have got to be kidding me. I thought I made myself clear by saying that the NINTENDO DS LITE CAN PLAY GAMES AND HAVE CONECTIVITY WITH THE WII. Perhaps typing in all caps lock will make my point clearer. My entire post was to explain that the current gaming platform was the DS and the current storage standard is USB hard drives. The idea of having another gadget that can do both of those things for MORE MONEY is a terrible idea.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11937 Posts
Not a bad idea...XxLoStxX
I agree
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 overfeind
[QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

I will explain my idea in a drawing mock up soon. The DS would stay relevant. Its a third pillar, the GB line is a second pillar, and the Wii is a new Gen console.  The products would not work against each other but rather with each other.  I'll explain after I have done the mock up drawing.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
I think Nintendo should scrap any new plans for a Gameboy and just stick with the DS. Their next handheld should be like the DS, but perhaps more powerful and maybe dual touch screens or something like that. Gameboy was great, but it's truly the the direction the DS is taking that should continually be explored.
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 overfeind
I think Nintendo should scrap any new plans for a Gameboy and just stick with the DS. Their next handheld should be like the DS, but perhaps more powerful and maybe dual touch screens or something like that. Gameboy was great, but it's truly the the direction the DS is taking that should continually be explored.Zhengi
Actually with what I have in mine, the GB would become completely VC in the new product. The could still sell the archaic line right along side the new line, just like they did when the switched over from the GBA to the GBA SP.
v3n0m111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 v3n0m111
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
That might be thinking a little too advanced. Things take time.
Dust24311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dust24311
[QUOTE="overfeind"][QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

I will explain my idea in a drawing mock up soon. The DS would stay relevant. Its a third pillar, the GB line is a second pillar, and the Wii is a new Gen console. The products would not work against each other but rather with each other. I'll explain after I have done the mock up drawing.

Dude, you may have a mock up drawing, but here is my point: I have a Wii, which new games are made for. I have a DS Lite, which new games are made for. WHY would I want ANOTHER handheld device? Do I enjoy burning through money? Nope. And if you are saying we need it for an mp3 player, I can guarantee that a new GB will cost at least as much as the DS Lite - $120. Well guess what? I can get an iPod nano for the SAME PRICE. I'm not going to let you off the hook on this. Its a bad idea!
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
I've thout about this before. Excellent idea. I surely could see this as a future endeavor.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Really it would be a good idea if you were talking about the next DS as long as the price was not severely effected, but I see no point in following the route of the PSP. Expensive Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.
cpaschal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cpaschal
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts
[QUOTE="Dust24311"][QUOTE="overfeind"][QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

I will explain my idea in a drawing mock up soon. The DS would stay relevant. Its a third pillar, the GB line is a second pillar, and the Wii is a new Gen console. The products would not work against each other but rather with each other. I'll explain after I have done the mock up drawing.

Dude, you may have a mock up drawing, but here is my point: I have a Wii, which new games are made for. I have a DS Lite, which new games are made for. WHY would I want ANOTHER handheld device? Do I enjoy burning through money? Nope. And if you are saying we need it for an mp3 player, I can guarantee that a new GB will cost at least as much as the DS Lite - $120. Well guess what? I can get an iPod nano for the SAME PRICE. I'm not going to let you off the hook on this. Its a bad idea!

Just because you THINK it is a bad idea doesnt mean EVERYONE should or does. I think the idea needs work, but I could see Nintendo, a few years down the road, making the next DS with built in storage (much like the Wii) to play your VC games and other downloadable games (much like the PS3/PSP connectivity), as well as playing MP3s, possibly. Also with additional storage via SD cards. It really isnt that far fetched. DO I think they should come out with it now? No. Down the line, when the DS needs a sucessor? Sure, why not!!!
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
[QUOTE="Dust24311"][QUOTE="overfeind"][QUOTE="Dust24311"]Thats a terrible idea. Let me explain: The DS lite is rumored to have connectivity with the Wii with a software update, so that takes care of playing on a handheld device. Why would we yearn for a GB that would provide the same function Now we look at the extra storage. We could be insane and pay $120 for a "20 gigs or so" storage device, or we could hook up an 80GB external USB hard drive from newegg.com for $50. Terrible idea. This is why console gamers should stay away from hardware ideas.

So What your saying is my DS won't be able to connect to the Wii, by your logic I will need to buy a new DS lite just to connect to my Wii. Seriously back off he has a decent idea and you seem to be the only one raining on his parade.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

First of all, having 101 features did not really help Sony PSP (as in, being number 1 in the market place), so, I ask you, why in the world would be any different for Nintendo?

Plus, I thought Nintendo was "all about the games?" Needless to say, non-gaming features have never really been Nintendo's "thing," and I doubt that will change anytime soon...

In addition, MP3s have popularity to the point where that kind of feature would be more useless, than anything else...

Furthermore, all of that talk "third pillar" was nothing more than propganda. Honestly, notice how GBA, more or less, basically "died" when the Nintendo DS hit the scene? Most likely than not, if Nintendo were to release another handheld anytime soon, it would probably hurt the sales of both devices.....and seeing how the DS continues to have stong numbers, it would simply be error judgment if Nintendo were "jump" onto its next handheld before the Nintendo DS has finished its life cycle...

Honestly, did you learn nothing from Sega?

Edit: For my liking, more or less, the only thing I could see being something useful of what you mentioned is the idea of being able to download "classic" handheld games to N2H2 (Nintendo's Next Hand-Held).

Anyhow, with all of that being said, if next handheld from Nintendo is going to have any conectitivy features, it should be with the console after Nintendo Wii, not the Wii itself, seeing how DS will already be having that base covered...