The Wii is capable of HD

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#51 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="RyanWare"][QUOTE="CLeRKSfan4life"][QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]hurts your eyes? wtf did you do before hd then? go get an eye examWhiteSnake5000

Exactly was I thinkin'! :lol:

SD looks terrible on many HDTVs. Nintendo made a mistake by not supporting HD, plain and simple.

Yeah because like 10-15% of the population owns an HDTV :roll:

So that justifies leaving the other percentage out in the cold?

Chances are, there is an SDTV in the house as well (although there are exceptions) so it doesn't matter all that much.
ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 ArmoJan
Member since 2005 • 3169 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="RyanWare"][QUOTE="CLeRKSfan4life"][QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]hurts your eyes? wtf did you do before hd then? go get an eye examWhiteSnake5000

SD looks terrible on many HDTVs. Nintendo made a mistake by not supporting HD, plain and simple.

For Nintendo yeah.. Nintendo purposely took a different approach to the Next gen race... A Gamble that was won 10 fold.. There is other consoles on the market if high-def eye candy is really THAT important.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"][QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="RyanWare"][QUOTE="CLeRKSfan4life"][QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]hurts your eyes? wtf did you do before hd then? go get an eye examnintendofreak_2

Chances are, there is an SDTV in the house as well (although there are exceptions) so it doesn't matter all that much.

I'm an exception, as bad as it pisses me off. I just use component cables and get a good distance away from the tv and allswell.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
It can do HD without framerate issues but it would not look as good as the 360 or PS3. HD is just a resolutions you still have tons of other things that make up graphics.
Hir0_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Hir0_N
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts
So the TC just figured that out yet? It takes lots of power to output HD. Yes the Wii could have HD...but at a $250 price point you'd get about 5fps.
ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ArmoJan
but at a $250 price point you'd get about 5fps.Hir0_N

exactly.. I am tired of everyone being so bitter toward nintendo for not having high end graphics... Talk about wanting the sun, moon, and stars for $250..
hotplayer220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#57 hotplayer220
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
I have enough fun I don't really pay attntio to the graphics all the time.
hydrophoboe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 hydrophoboe
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts
] HD isn't the problem. Wii lacks the ammount of ram, cpu and gpu spunk that they need to run the engines they are on PS3/360 ala UE3.0hellzhitman
Wow, someone says Saul Calibur 2 could run 720p on the Xbox 1 (which is slightly LESS powerful than the Wii) and you jump to Xbox360/PS3. The point is, I think the Wii is quite capable of upscaling images, which would help on certain TVs that have an exact native resolution of such and such. For example, on my Xbox 360 Jade Empire looks much better UPSCALED to 720p (part of this has to do with the anti-aliasing, but another part of it has to do with the fact that the native res of my monitor IS 720p)
RyanWare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 RyanWare
Member since 2002 • 12113 Posts

Yes the Wii could have HD...but at a $250 price point you'd get about 5fps.Hir0_N

I must have imagined all those 720p Xbox games, then... the FACT is, there would have been no harm in Nintendo allowing the Wii to output at HD resolutions. Developers would've been able to choose what resolution they wanted their games in. Most games would still be in 480p, yes, but that is no excuse for disallowing anything higher when some games (*cough* Wii Sports *cough*) could most certainly handle it and look much better to HDTV owners because of it..

ArkansasBoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#60 ArkansasBoy91
Member since 2006 • 2430 Posts
LoL things people do to get Stupid Grapphics.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="Hir0_N"]but at a $250 price point you'd get about 5fps.ArmoJan

exactly.. I am tired of everyone being so bitter toward nintendo for not having high end graphics... Talk about wanting the sun, moon, and stars for $250..

Nope... HD such as 720p is just a resolution. There are more factors that make up a game graphics. If the developer chose to do so, they could successfully implement an HD resolution such as 720p in to the game. Even the PS2 can play games at HD resolutions, I remember playing GT4 at 1080i. If the game developer chose to do it, it would work. Now of course some games obviously wouldn't work too well at higher resolutions. But from this point there is only one game I can think of on the Wii that might have trouble and that is Zelda. I think it isn't too crazy to expect higher resolutions in Wii's future.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
[QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="hydrophoboe"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]no, the wii can't. CAN NOT..danneswegman

Mind giving a reason why? Because Nintendo said so doesn't mean crap. Most of us with basic computer knowledge could easily look at the specs for the Wii and say yes. Remember, upscaling is a LOT different than having textures running at the resolution of HD. It looks better for certain televisions, especially televisions with a native resolution of 720/1080p. My suggestion? Go away to your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 thread, and stop crapping stuff up with unsupported claims. Again, "Nintendo said it wouldn't," doesn't hold water, giving the specs.

i have a wii and i love it.. but it can't do 720P (in a way suitable for gaming). it's a shame but something we have to live with. You included. Upscaling wouldn't do much good either, though it would help to let the game look more decent on a 72o/1080 screen.. -"Go away to your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 thread">> that was ridiculous.. it's not critique on you and not on the Wii.. it's just a fact.

Why does you having a Wii make you able to state it can't do 720p?

that is reading things that aren't there..... Nintendo said it . i Think they know what they are saying.

Saying it won't support isn't the same as saying it couldn't support.

"Why does you having a Wii make you able to state it can't do 720p" that sentence was not logicall ... my having a Wii has nothing to do with the fact that wii can't do 720P... try to read what is there, not what is not there.....

i have a wii and i love it.. but it can't do 720P (in a way suitable for gaming). How do you get to that conclusion of yours? Please do explain how it cannot run games at 720p.

because it can't. now except the Wii as it is. a 480p fun machine. good night.

Simply brilliant. As I had though, you did not get the gist of this subject.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
[QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="hydrophoboe"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]no, the wii can't. CAN NOT..CerealEater

Mind giving a reason why? Because Nintendo said so doesn't mean crap. Most of us with basic computer knowledge could easily look at the specs for the Wii and say yes. Remember, upscaling is a LOT different than having textures running at the resolution of HD. It looks better for certain televisions, especially televisions with a native resolution of 720/1080p. My suggestion? Go away to your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 thread, and stop crapping stuff up with unsupported claims. Again, "Nintendo said it wouldn't," doesn't hold water, giving the specs.

i have a wii and i love it.. but it can't do 720P (in a way suitable for gaming). it's a shame but something we have to live with. You included. Upscaling wouldn't do much good either, though it would help to let the game look more decent on a 72o/1080 screen.. -"Go away to your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 thread">> that was ridiculous.. it's not critique on you and not on the Wii.. it's just a fact.

that is reading things that aren't there..... Nintendo said it . i Think they know what they are saying.

"Why does you having a Wii make you able to state it can't do 720p" that sentence was not logicall ... my having a Wii has nothing to do with the fact that wii can't do 720P... try to read what is there, not what is not there.....

i have a wii and i love it.. but it can't do 720P (in a way suitable for gaming). How do you get to that conclusion of yours? Please do explain how it cannot run games at 720p.

oh i got it. but it's all of no use... because it can't..
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
I have been happy with 480i all my life, I am not too fussy.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DGM09
[QUOTE="hellzhitman"]] HD isn't the problem. Wii lacks the ammount of ram, cpu and gpu spunk that they need to run the engines they are on PS3/360 ala UE3.0hydrophoboe
Wow, someone says Saul Calibur 2 could run 720p on the Xbox 1 (which is slightly LESS powerful than the Wii) and you jump to Xbox360/PS3. The point is, I think the Wii is quite capable of upscaling images, which would help on certain TVs that have an exact native resolution of such and such. For example, on my Xbox 360 Jade Empire looks much better UPSCALED to 720p (part of this has to do with the anti-aliasing, but another part of it has to do with the fact that the native res of my monitor IS 720p)

Don't guide yourself by comparing only the values given. For example, the Wii's memory is GDDR3, while the XBOX's is merely DDR-SDRAM. Just there, there is a HUGE difference.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DGM09
[QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="hydrophoboe"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]no, the wii can't. CAN NOT..danneswegman

oh i got it. but it's all of no use... because it can't..

We're merely saying if Nintendo had not limited it to 480p and had left the system as it is. It can go over 480p. You can't deny it. Well, you can, but you'd be wrong then.
Darklayk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Darklayk
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts
you people are oafs, of course the wii is "capable" of pushing HD resolutions, the fact is though it takes a ridiculous amount of power to render stuff at that resolution. That is why the 360 and ps3 are so much more powerful , all that extra power is basically JUST to render in HD, if it were not for the HD in the PS3 and 360 then they would be around the same power as the wii.
eyewho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 eyewho
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts
im not willing to read through all the pages of this post to check if anyone has said this yet but...

should you really trust anything they put in the inquierer?
rxjhobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 rxjhobbz
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts

first off, the Wii is capable of pushing a native 720p display. it would be easy for them to implement this to the Wii with a simple firmware upgrade (i.e. Xbox360s 1080p upgrade). the reason nintendo did not implement this from the begining, is because they are going in a different direction then the competition. The ps2 could only UPSCALE the resolution, but the actual textures in the games were not HighDef, like ps3, or xbox360. all of those games' textures are rendured, and are native highdef.

I own a Wii, and im kinda upset that they havent implemented a lot of things, like online gaming, HD capabilities, and a rechargable Controller. If nintendo was smart, they'd see what the competition was doing that wiped the floor with the gamecube. Nintendo would be hands down the best console over all if they had some solid online without this gimpy exchange of secret codes, and pointless "channels" instead of online at all. Checking the wheathers alright if im REALLY bored, and the news is much more work then actually typing msn.com and finding out headlines and sports scores. I think Nintendo needs to stop being TO different, and focus more on what gamers REALLY want. you dont see PS3 or Xbox360 owners crying cause they dont have a forcast/news button on their XMB or Dashboard do you?

back to the Point, The original Xbox was able to output 720p native Resolutions on ancient tech. the Wii is pretty powerful, even if the specs seem to say no. the xbox and Wii both have 64 mb of ram, but the wii's is GDDR3, and the xbox's is just sd-ddr. Nintendo is downplaying its capabilities.

ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ArmoJan

If nintendo was smart, they'd see what the competition was doing that wiped the floor with the gamecube. Nintendo would be hands down the best console over all

rxjhobbz

They are killing the competition with both the Wii and DSlite.. What are you talking about?
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

this is a rumor not a great soruce

pokefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 pokefant
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
I have been happy with 480i all my life, I am not too fussy.OGTiago

Yes, thank you. Before more modern systems came out, I was perfectly happy playing at 256x224. Seriously. The Wii won't go HD. It might be able to run certain games in HD, but the GPU really isn't up to the task.

If I want brilliant, high definition games, I'll play on my PC. I bought the Wii for fun, not for breathtaking graphics.

Smogtoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 Smogtoe
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts
You know it's actually kind of sad to here some of Nintendo's faithful fans:roll: ragging on them for the whole HD nonsense.  For all that don't really know why the company excluded HD, or you are just mad that they excluded HD.  The Execs at Nintendo didn't put it into the console because of a) Cost would drive up the price
b) MOST people in the US don't have an HDTV...only like 20% or so, DO.  Doesn't it make more sense to hit the market with more potential customers?
c) Not alot of the so-called games with the 720p - 1080p graphics are doing that well; not to mention play all that well, but hey they SURE look good!

Nintendo did alot of us not so upitty up people a big favor by not making the console HD, I guess I can see why some people are upset, but hey it's working progress and who knows we may just be blessed by the big N sometime in the future on a totally different console that has all the features that we truly want.  I said before this Wii console was kinda like a test the market console for the whole motion sensitivity controls, and now they know that the market is there for the Next Gen scheme.  So be aware of the possibilities for the future console releases.  We shall have our HD, when the market is majority HD, and the Big N is ready to give it to us. 
End ......
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 WhiteSnake5000
You know it's actually kind of sad to here some of Nintendo's faithful fans:roll: ragging on them for the whole HD nonsense. For all that don't really know why the company excluded HD, or you are just mad that they excluded HD. The Execs at Nintendo didn't put it into the console because of a) Cost would drive up the price
b) MOST people in the US don't have an HDTV...only like 20% or so, DO. Doesn't it make more sense to hit the market with more potential customers?
c) Not alot of the so-called games with the 720p - 1080p graphics are doing that well; not to mention play all that well, but hey they SURE look good!

Nintendo did alot of us not so upitty up people a big favor by not making the console HD, I guess I can see why some people are upset, but hey it's working progress and who knows we may just be blessed by the big N sometime in the future on a totally different console that has all the features that we truly want. I said before this Wii console was kinda like a test the market console for the whole motion sensitivity controls, and now they know that the market is there for the Next Gen scheme. So be aware of the possibilities for the future console releases. We shall have our HD, when the market is majority HD, and the Big N is ready to give it to us.
End ......
Smogtoe
Yeah except High Definition doesn't really drive up the price.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
Making it HD would definately make the price go up, do you think the PS3 and the 360 are that big for no reason? If you opened up the PS3 do you think there would be a cement brick sitting in there, just to make it seem more powerful because of its weight? The Wii is way smaller in size than both of those, and that's why it's so affordable. Do you think theWii would outsell the PS3 dramatically if it cost $400-$500?
Nintendo realized that not many people have an HDTV yet, and in turn didn't need to make it HD capable. A new system comes out every 4-5 years, and by then more people will have an HDTV (when the prices of HDTVs are more affordable). That's when Nintendo will make an HDTV compatible system, but until then it isn't needed. Besides, HD is relitively new on the market, and as you can see from the ratings of PS3 games thus far that video game companies haven't perfected HD, and won't for a few years. That's when Nintendo will jump in. It makes so much more sense that way; let the competition perfect HD, then join the fun.
Also, if you've played the Wii, you would know that it is fun. Who cares about how it looks if you're having fun? For the most part, so far at least, you get either fun or graphics. It's rare that you get both. In a few years it'll be a different story, but for the time being video game companies are still trying to learn HD, it's capabilities, the mechanics and the physics. After they perfect that, games will start to be a little more fun. Have you noticed that most games out for the PS3 and the 360 are sequels to older, more successful fun games? There's a reason for that, they know that people liked those games in the past, so if they take that premise and add better graphics to it then it'll be enjoyable. But where are the new games, the new ideas? On the Wii, that's where.
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#77 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
[QUOTE="CerealEater"]Composites+HDTVs = Blur
It isn't pretty. It does actually get tiring.
kidrock17xp
but how many people can actually afford hdtvs?

HDTVs aren't as expensive as everyone thinks.  You can get a 30 or so inch for pretty cheap.  And yes even at that size, HD makes a difference.  I'm just lucky my HDTV has a good scaler (It has a built in DVD drive even though it's 720p, so the company put in a scaler)