the ideal first person formula for Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

00Joseph00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#1 00Joseph00
Member since 2004 • 1578 Posts
Red Steel's aiming system sucked pretty bad, right?  And The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess seemed to make better use of the aiming although you were planted in the ground.  Having to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to "push" your view so you look left or right is a little irritating.

So here is the scoop...  Typical first person shooters on consoles require two *movement* sticks, one typically for moving (forward, backward, strafe left, strafe right), and the other for turning your view (looking up, down, left, right).

On the computer you use the mouse for doing all the view moving.  And four keys are for doing the moving.

And here is the formula I think would rock first person shooters on Wii...

Have a nunchaku attachment for moving, but also include a device that connects to the Wii-mote (or replaces the Wii mote) that allows for a second thumb stick for your other hand.  The only comfortable, responsive way to point "on screen" at objects would be to keep the *movement* stick and the *view turning* stick, but to ADD the *on-screen* aiming.

So one stick would move the character, one stick would turn your view, and the Wii mote would point at different places on the screen (a free-moving reticle, not fixed in the middle).

Of course, the fallback option would be to just have the Wii mote not point on screen, but to just turn your view like a mouse on a computer does; keeping the reticle in the middle of the screen.
anubis5400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 anubis5400
Member since 2005 • 1360 Posts
dude shut up about red steel it was a solid start u should just wait for metroid prime 3 to be judging the wii controls like that

greenneil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 greenneil4
Member since 2005 • 2041 Posts
lol I loved red steel's control
00Joseph00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 00Joseph00
Member since 2004 • 1578 Posts
Naw, Red Steel wasn't that great, that's only the opinion of at least 80% of the people who played it.
overlordbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 overlordbill
Member since 2003 • 176 Posts
COD3's controls were great and thats that
Alucard32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Alucard32
Member since 2004 • 1321 Posts
i think it should be like re4 sort of aiming run, stop/aim, shoot. run left right forward and back with the nunchuck then hold z or something and shoot with a or b. just like zelda. the problem with red steel was you just hold forward and look around with wiimote... makes me nauseous
frodnekcod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 frodnekcod
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts

COD3's controls were great and thats thatoverlordbill

i like call of duty 3's (wii) controls more than any game ive ever played, i would have bought it if it had multiplayer, im waiting for vanguard

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I like Red Steels controls, it definently beat analog in my opinion, my accuracy was through the roof. I think a simple control scheme would be to use the motion sensing ability of the nunchuk to move the screen and the wiimote's pointer for aiming simple as that. The harder you tilt the nunchuk the faster you turn, and the analog for moving.