• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Wow, this must be a misleading title, but I just watched the SMG vids and ummmm no voice acting
This is going to be like Super Paper Mario and Zelda again, where games that dont need voice acting to be awesome willget a crappier score because of it

Of course I dont care what Jeff says anymore, but its still a pain to see a AAA title become an AA+because of an unnecessary feature

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts
are you done complaining?
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
trust me. not many people really want to here mario say anymore than he already does. and i sure dont want to here bowser or any of his underlings talk either.
reinchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 reinchester
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts
Vocie acting is overrated especially for the Zelda series. Still I can't help but wonder why no voice acting in Galaxy, only because Sunshine had it.
IceWarrior93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IceWarrior93
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
That's right Sunshine did had voice acting, but why not Galaxy?
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts
I doubt the lack of voice acting will take away much of Galaxy's awesomeness.. Anyway, there might be voice-acting in Galaxy, we don't know for sure yet. Peach spoke in SM64, for example. There could be some voice acting, just in SM64, but even more in Galaxy..
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
I'm not saying the SMG SHOULD have voice acting, I'm just saying that it's gonna be Zelda TP all over again
ZeldaFan2329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ZeldaFan2329
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts
I think it will be awesome voice acting or not!!!!!!
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

I think it will be awesome voice acting or not!!!!!!ZeldaFan2329

Most definitely will. I just got a new PC, and while I have BioShock, Hellgate, UT3, Witcher, Crysis, among others, to look forward to, Super Mario Galaxy is still on the top of my most anticipated games.

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
Who cares about voice acting? This game will set the bar for future platformers.
The_Gr8_Leon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Gr8_Leon
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts

Let's focus on the game that needs voice-acting the most, LoZ.

DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
There aren't many places where voice acting can be added into a Mario game. Most often Mario is all by his lonesome and interacts with only a handful of NPCs. I wouldn't worry about the lack of voice.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
How do you even know that? We haven't heard anyone actually talk other than Toads.
The_Gr8_Leon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Gr8_Leon
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts

How do you even know that? We haven't heard anyone actually talk other than Toads.sexy_chimp

Precisely his point...

But anyway, of course there will be no voice-acting, not even from the Toads. It's in space, stupid! Have you ever tried clapping with one hand? That's what space sounds like!

ghostadv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghostadv
Member since 2004 • 3080 Posts
Let's focus on the game that needs voice-acting the most, LoZ. The_Gr8_Leon

Yeah, really. Mario can get away with it seeing how Mario games aren't really story driven (cept for the Paper series.)

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
learn to read and its no big deal. Nintendos helping the school system :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
i laugh at you :lol: HA
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Voice acting?

It's a freaking platformer, what's next? Complaints about the lack of online?

Nintendoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nintendoes
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
If you want voice acting, play Super Mario Sunshine and then come back with an argument as to whether a Mario platformer should have voice acting.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
I really never want to hear Bowser speak again. Ever. *Cringes at his horrible voice in Super Mario Sunshine.*
pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
i dunt really mind if mario games have voice acting or not...
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

That's right Sunshine did had voice acting, but why not Galaxy?IceWarrior93

Because the voice acting in Sunshine sucked. Bad.

If there are voices in Galaxy, they'll be minimal, just like in Sunshine. But I hope there aren't any voices at all. Bowser isn't the type of character who does well with a voice.... The sounds he makes in Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 fit him best, but they don't translate well into actual language.

The little grunts that characters make are more entertaining to me than actual speech anyway. Remember Banjo Kazooie? The original Star Fox? I have to say, though... the voice acting in Star Fox 64 is classic. ;)

walkerctranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 walkerctranger
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
after sunshine.... NO MARIO CHARACTER SHOULD EVER TALK EVER EVER AGAIN
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Ummm... Peach says "help"...
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Sunshine had voice acting, so why won't Galaxy.
maxthebuilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 maxthebuilder
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts
SMG really doesn't need it that much because it's a platformer but if they were to do something like animal crossing where they aren't really talking or whatever that would help with the immersion
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Let's focus on the game that needs voice-acting the most, LoZ.

The_Gr8_Leon

Link should NEVER have a voice, ever. The reason why Nintendo hasn't given Link a voice, is because in a game like that, you (The player, the gamer, etc.) are the voice for him. If they try give him a voice, nobody would agree on it. Everyone else in the game should have voices though.

Smogtoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Smogtoe
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts
People please......!!!! Mario games don't need voice acting. The voice acting distracts away from the mystique of the game! Zelda games alike! Ocarina was perfect! Twilight Princess was perfect! Voice acting would have ruined the ambiance that the game music is suppose to create. That is the premise of games without voice over, they leave it up to your imagination to decide what the character voices would sound like. Imagine for a moment, ......if you were told that your favorite comic book was going to be release in a new technological format that included voice over for the dialogue! You would probably be horrified! The video games like Zelda, and Mario, and others are like comic books that require you to read......so your imagination jumps to life and you become part of the game........hence the term ......IMMERSIVE!
stanley2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stanley2011
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

[QUOTE="ZeldaFan2329"]I think it will be awesome voice acting or not!!!!!!Litchie

Most definitely will. I just got a new PC, and while I have BioShock, Hellgate, UT3, Witcher, Crysis, among others, to look forward to, Super Mario Galaxy is still on the top of my most anticipated games.

I still have to upgrade my pc to play crysis but ya SMG is going to be really good voice acting or not.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
mario doesnt need voice acting like the wii SMG will sell itself but gs score wise it has to be AA if its not alot of angry sheep
metaldeath87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metaldeath87
Member since 2003 • 133 Posts
This topic is actually about how Gamespot will lower the score because it doesn't have voice acting, not about how SMG needs voice acting. Reading is one thing, kids, but comprehension is another altogether. I think it will get an 8.5, because it doesn't have voice acting, or online multiplayer. Plus, it's too similar to other Mario games. It's got running, jumping, platforms, and all that stuff REAL gamers are sick of. It'd be better if they just made it a FPS, and then released two sequels that were by and large the same exact game. That would get it a 9.5.
T_Largo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 T_Largo
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

When are people going to learn that "flop" generally refers to something that fails market wise?

cheesenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cheesenator
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts

When are people going to learn that "flop" generally refers to something that fails market wise?T_Largo

from wikipedia.org:

A flop is a slang term for failure; in the entertainment world, usually referring to a movie or TV show that does not do well, or is expected to do well and falls short.

It says nothing about sales there.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
[QUOTE="T_Largo"]

When are people going to learn that "flop" generally refers to something that fails market wise?cheesenator

from wikipedia.org:

A flop is a slang term for failure; in the entertainment world, usually referring to a movie or TV show that does not do well, or is expected to do well and falls short.

Wikipedia isn't always right. And I'm not sure there is a technical definition of "flop" in this sense yet.

But I agree with T_Largo that in general, a flop should refer to sales. People hype a game to no end, then it turns out to be either average or bad, and the sales reflect that. It's supposed to call up the image of someone running up a diving board, jumping high in the air, doing all kinds of flips and twists in midair to awe the crowd, then landing flat on his stomach in the water to everyone's disappointment. But some forum goers have started using the term to refer only to a game's review score, regardless of how well the game does financially.

I think the term is useless in the latter form, since reviews are based solely on opinion. By basing a "flop" on sales figures, however, it directly relates to something objective, something measurable. In that case, a game can't be called a flop until well after its release, when sales figures are actually known. The practice of calling a game a flop immediately after its review is released is meaningless.

All in my humble opinion, of course. ;)

fntsycloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fntsycloud
Member since 2002 • 748 Posts

are you done complaining?
Sonick54

Given that if fatty does review it, he will mark it down for not having stellar voice acting for every single action in the game - he has a valid complaint. I've said it a million times about GS, if it isn't a Halo game, it gets marked down simply because it isn't Halo and then things only go down more from there, especially with gerstmann. God he is a horrible editor/reviewer.

Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Happy_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 4895 Posts
I don't think this game needs voice acting at all. I can see why people want it for games like Zelda that are more plot-driven, but a mario platformer can certainly do without it.
WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Who cares about voice acting? This game will set the bar for future platformers.Sants412

Still, GS may still complain about it.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dinofan01
Member since 2007 • 1697 Posts
does anyone really care about waht gamespot says. i look more at actual gamers reviewing it and other websites like ign and stuff
T_Largo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 T_Largo
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
[QUOTE="cheesenator"][QUOTE="T_Largo"]

When are people going to learn that "flop" generally refers to something that fails market wise?JordanElek

from wikipedia.org:

Wikipedia isn't always right. And I'm not sure there is a technical definition of "flop" in this sense yet.

But I agree with T_Largo that in general, a flop should refer to sales. People hype a game to no end, then it turns out to be either average or bad, and the sales reflect that. It's supposed to call up the image of someone running up a diving board, jumping high in the air, doing all kinds of flips and twists in midair to awe the crowd, then landing flat on his stomach in the water to everyone's disappointment. But some forum goers have started using the term to refer only to a game's review score, regardless of how well the game does financially.

I think the term is useless in the latter form, since reviews are based solely on opinion. By basing a "flop" on sales figures, however, it directly relates to something objective, something measurable. In that case, a game can't be called a flop until well after its release, when sales figures are actually known. The practice of calling a game a flop immediately after its review is released is meaningless.

All in my humble opinion, of course. ;)

Man, thank you so much Jordan, I knew SOMEBODY was going to try to argue that and you went ahead and said it all before I even had to. Granted, it technically DOES mean failure and it CAN be used in the context of a game sucking, but to say that something flopped simply because you don't like it is never entirely true (same to say something failed that you don't like).

Which is why market wise, (and I'll repeat myself) it generally refers to something that fails. (Not based on opinion)

Plus, after hearing the voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine, do we REALLY want it in Galaxy?! (I think somebody mentioned Bowser's terrible voice acting in Sunshine on this forum, he's got the right idea.)

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
voice acting?... who cares?.. well.. you appearently
whostolemysoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 whostolemysoul
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

first and foremost gamespot alone doesn't declare what is a AAA or a AA+ game... the people do (consumers such as you or me) secondly the LoZ games have tuns of reading and a completely different approach in terms of whats going on/where they are and so forth... generally voice acting would help the zelda series, especially if it were more then a few grunts and screams.... I mean it may even be transformed into a game on a whole new level with it...

NOW mario is completely different in my personel oppinion, and for one thing the art style and the way the main characters are WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL known in terms of their roles, ect... helps move the story along (plus compared to zelda its got minimal platforms, and the puzzles aren't as hard, (playing a game in almost complete silence with long puzzles and then watching silent cutscenes can stand on its own two feet for quite a while but eventually it gets oldish, and after sooo many years I'd be happy to finally here what link sounds like when he's actually talking).. mario on the other hand is a platformer with a pretty direct story (zelda has the same story when looked at its barest roots but its "roots" are covered with plenty of other things or rather a "story within a story", possibly within another larger story) now marios save the princess from bowser, go home and party until bowser gets the balls for another kidnapping thing may be a common formula for games, and if anyone else did anything so simple it probably wouldn't cut it... but since mario invented the formula in the first place he has the right to use it over and over again, and seeing he hasn't (ignoring sunshine to a degree) ruined that oldschool formula by all means live on...

but really we all know the basic plot to this upcoming mario game, hell I'm sure we could predict the story the next 3 mario platformers to come... and I'm sure we are all going to buy them and have one hell of a fun time playing them as well.... you don't need voice acting to get the point of mario across, hell there doesn't even need to be reading involved all we need is his trademark itallian "itsa mee maaario" (intenionally spelt that way) and bowsers semi-comical logic, the same ol' horridly easy to follow story, some easy- insanely hard platforming/ locations (depending on how far back you've been with mario,seeing they've made it easier since then) I'm ranting my point is mario will never for as long as nintendo lives/mario lives need voice acting (other than his itallian accented one-two word comments.... I mean I can play any rythem from the older mario games to even the most hardcore murderous intent filled person (fearsome is what I'm getting at) and even he'll instantly recognize it for a mario tune... trust me, marios "safe" in almost everything he's done... infact he's nintendos (in my oppinion/most of the worlds) true mascot

be_very_afraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 be_very_afraid
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

Voice acting?

Jaysonguy

What?! It doesn't have online?! What's the point in even playing it then?!

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
I saw that vid and man it looked amazing! at the start when his running down and you can see the river at the side with the reflections.... such a beautiful game ^^
oyvoyvoyv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 oyvoyvoyv
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Voice acting?

be_very_afraid

What?! It doesn't have online?! What's the point in even playing it then?!

Think about the possibilities of online.

32 people, race for the star :P

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
on Zelda, i can see how it would be a downside, but on Mario who needs voice acting?
cleary666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cleary666
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

I dont see the fascination in voice acting, Adding a voice to the characters in Zelda could have destroyed the characters that everyone has known and loved for many many many many years, and replaced them with the image of some nerdy guy attempting to perform his idea of how Link speaks.

Voice acting is over rated.

end of.

ghostjga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghostjga
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts

Can't say that. People had the same doubt when final fantasy annouced that it was going to do the same back then.

Wii is about innovativeness... why not take the risk and take the jump by adding another characteristic on the characters with voice.

I personally would love to see zelda speak for the first time in a nintendo developed game.

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#48 Demonic_Jin
Member since 2005 • 10650 Posts

Twilight Princess was critisized for no voice work because it was text heavy.

How many text heavy mario games have you played? (and I don't mean spin off RPG's, I mean traditional platformers)

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

Compromise on the flop thing...base it on sales within 3 months...but make it a % of the install base

If an AAA game usually sells75% in 3 months...then thats your target

hype the game based on these standards instead of the opinion of one man...

Problem solved...alert system wars (note: the number in question is pulled from the air and isn't reflective of what the actual number should be...

This also lets the reverse hype come into play...

If someone is gonna reverse hype a game...they say that only 30% is gonna pick it up in 3 months...

CreepyNerd90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CreepyNerd90
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts
I just don't see the point in giving voices to Mario and Zelda...they don't really need it. There are games that have to have voice acting in order to be effective in moving the story along, but Mario and Zelda are doing just fine with out it and haven't moved to a point where they need it. Super Paper Mario had some of the funniest dialogue in any game to date and it didn't need voices. It'll be pretty sad if it gets points knocked off just because of this.