sign here if you think GS is unfair when rating wii games....(poll)

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chelosera91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chelosera91
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts

why? here are a couple of reasons, they wait for like a month to review some of them,multiplatform games geta lower score on the wii than the ps3/360, they review ps3/360 games first, other sites give good scores while GS gives them a lower score. Crap reviewers review wii games like lv 10 users...

Dont come with that crap that "is someone's opinion", I know that but it makes tha game look bad when most of the times its not.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dinofan01
Member since 2007 • 1697 Posts
i agree their to hyped on games like halo. i prefer ign alot more. the review the games as a actual gamer would as to gamespots wanting it to ake it seem like some elite reviewer. ign tells you the things you want to know with out being biased
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
we should all just move on... If other sites get more respect than GS, then it's GS's own fault for risking their credibility... Obviously no one here cares about what GS rates games because games like MP8 and Wii Play sell like crazy.
joshuadj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joshuadj
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts
Of course they are. If it's not halo automatic 0.000000 cept for SMG
_KwispY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 _KwispY
Member since 2005 • 549 Posts
thhis is probably going to get locked soon, but i totally agree gamespot is biased on EVERYTHING wii. look at that crappy smg sms comparision. worst. screenshots. EVER.
Rexatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rexatar
Member since 2007 • 365 Posts
thhis is probably going to get locked soon, but i totally agree gamespot is biased on EVERYTHING wii. look at that crappy smg sms comparision. worst. screenshots. EVER._KwispY

I think graphics comparisons in general are pretty stupid. It really shows just how hung up some people are on the visual aspects of a video game. 
brawler08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 brawler08
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
i actually think that there is reason to believe that sony could be possibly pushing money towards GS for advertising in the "right places". Since the fail of the PS3 sony has been forced to turn to pure politcts so they might be able to switch around gamers views about consols as it has been showing over the internet recently, and let me tell you i am SICK of it. i am SICK of GS giving good and deserving wii games bad scores out of pure biasness, and i am SICK of sony using dirty tacticts. though i am not sure whether GS is pulling some extra$, i have been forced now to not even take GS reviews seriously, and i just go look at the gamers scores since they seem to be able to do a better job in reviewing than the "professionals".
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

some stupid reviews

Bleach Shattered Blade 3.5

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 6

Fire Emblem RD 6

so yeah GS hates Wii most of the staff are big 360/PS3/PC/PSP fans

sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts
I definitely think GS underrates games but not based on recent events like FE and RE UC. but games like MP3 and TP were so lame on GS part.
Rexatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rexatar
Member since 2007 • 365 Posts

why? here are a couple of reasons, they wait for like a month to review some of them,multiplatform games geta lower score on the wii than the ps3/360, they review ps3/360 games first, other sites give good scores while GS gives them a lower score. Crap reviewers review wii games like lv 10 users...

Dont come with that crap that "is someone's opinion", I know that but it makes tha game look bad when most of the times its not.

chelosera91

Maybe it's because most Wii games are not really that good. The same thing applies to most of the PS3's library. 

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

I didn't used to, but now I do.

They nitpick with the reviews and look for the smallest little things that could make the game bad. For example, why the hell would anyone want Mii integration in Fire Emblem?

zespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zespair
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
Mii integration in fire emblem? creepy lol
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I don't think they rate unfairly because it's their opinion. I DO however disagree with many of their reviews because I have different standards and tastes than they do.
brettneo3012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 brettneo3012
Member since 2003 • 526 Posts
I've been with this site since 2003. This is the worst it has been. Reviewers here are nothing more than a bunch of 360 lovers. Or microsoft or sony has some secret funding going on to this site that I don't know about.
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Nah, they're just graphics whores ....that's why SMG got a 9.5 (because the graphics are good)

Think about it....crysis:9.5 Gears: 9.6, Bioshock, 9.5, Halo 3: 9.5
While I agree with the bioshock and gears score....crysis and halo are totally just blah

Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
the only thing i don't like is when they contradict themselves. Sometimes they complain about the game being too easy and user freindly, other times too hard and not newcomer friendly, or too "hardcore". They dock points for graphical problems on a system that can't do much better than an xbox and on genres that require no graphics what so ever., some are agreeable but others not so much. They cripple games for audio reasonings that are a bit... overly dramatic. They bash games for not using mroe "wii features" when if they were implemented, they would be unnessesary and "forced".

I don't think they are wrong, just that hte reviewers aren't catching the wii's drift and aren't rating them on a the correct scale. MP3 is the most epic game on Wii right now. it has amaizng controls, amaizng graphics, amazing sounds, and good challange and replay.... what is wrong!? Fire emblem is near perfect for fans of the series, its not a series meant to be mainstream... why dock points for that. Mario Galaxy was pretty spot on.. a few minor gripes, but nothing bad. other games i could go on with, but i'm not in teh mood.

GO IGN ;)
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Mii integration in fire emblem? creepy lolzespair

SMG doesnt have Mii integration...why didnt they put that on there?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

[QUOTE="zespair"]Mii integration in fire emblem? creepy lolweazur

SMG doesnt have Mii integration...why didnt they put that on there?

Check this out. Here :P

Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
i think GS are big 360 fans because i looked up Assassins Creed for the 360 and they gave it a 9.0 with editors choice. and IGN and teamxbox.com gave it like 7.9, 7.7. and both teamxbox.xom and IGN reviews were dead on about the game. BUT GS said things like oh this game is perfect etc. and they didn't even mention much of the flaws like weak CPU andtediousness. so yeah they probably give higher reviews for crappy 360 games and low scores for great wii games. although they did give a fari review for SMG. - the only review that didn't suck
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
I only come here for the forums anyway. If GS gives a decent review I will read.A lot of times under the Good and Bad in reviews there points have little to do with actual gameplay or what makes the game fun or not fun.
jbrittain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 jbrittain
Member since 2002 • 2151 Posts
I have noticed that Gamespot definitely rates Wii games much lower than almost every other gaming website and magazine out there. I don't know if that's because they really dislike the Wii, or if their standards are just too high. I assume the latter, only because I hope any respectful gaming journalist wouldn't hold a bias against a game publisher.
khalid949494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 khalid949494
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
gs SUCK BALLS when it comes to rating games they might give one or two good reviews but there punks when it comes to rating wii games so I'm going to stay away from gs for a while and i still can't forgive them for a 7.0 for reuc :shock: and i will go check out ign and few better places peace out :arrow:
azorath44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 azorath44
Member since 2005 • 328 Posts
keep in mind its a matter of opinionon the reviews, even if they gave mario galxay a 2.0 whoop de do if i read the review and and decide for myself that i want it i would get it, i use gamespot for videos to read reviews and see screen shots not to have them tell me what to buy,
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Frankly, their reviews have been so shoddy that it's too difficult to discern "unfair" as it regards to Wii. It's unfair to gaming that things have gotten this bad.
Judah6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Judah6
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
I denfinity agree that Gamespot is unflair when rating Wii Games and I say this because I think there's just Hating on Nintendo and they when the Wii to fail, But When I see Ign rating Wii game they do it fair like Manhunt Ign give it a 7.7 GS give it a 7.0 they even put ps2 version higher then the Wii with a 7.5 and that's ridiculous!
Kamuikankatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kamuikankatsu
Member since 2005 • 596 Posts
I rearly even look at the rating on GS, and when I do I dont usually pay much attention to them. I do think GS could put abit more thought into their Wii reviews too, there's alot of games which deserve more then what they got.
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clarke0
Member since 2005 • 865 Posts
I just add .5 or 1.0 to the score if it looks fishy and then it pretty much works out. I always expect Gamespot to rate games lower on any console really. If I'm on the edge about buying a game I will typically look at multiple reviews, or go to gamerankings.com.
thetolan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thetolan87
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I have a wiii and a 360, and my 360 gamesarebetter graphically andhave faster/smoother gameplay for the most part. So maybe that is why they are getting rated higher than wii games. Don't hate the player, hate your wii.Personally, I only bought the wii because i look forward to wielding alight saber someday, but for my shooters and sports games i turn to thesuperior gaming platform, the xbox 360.Perhaps you should too. I hate to say it, but outside of Mario and Pokemon, nintendo is slowly dying. Zelda was ok, but i bet 99 % of zelda fans were dissapointed, at least a little bit. That is my take.
thetolan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thetolan87
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
What happened to the spaces in between a lot of my words!?! I now DO have a problem with this "forum text machine".
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

There's nothing wrong with their reviews because it's their opinion. They give a game what they feel it deserves. Besides, it's not about the "score" they give it that matters. A lot of people are just too lazy to read the full review, or watch the video review. If you read/watched the full reviews, you'd hear what they have to say.

Just because they have a section for "the bad" parts of the game, it doesn't mean that those things are what caused the score to be so "low" (I put "low" in quotes, because an 8.5 is considered "great" by GameSpot's standards. I personally don't see anything wrong with "great"...but that's just me). They're just some basic re-cap's of things that bothered them, it doesn't reflect the whole score. There are other reasons why a game got the score it did...namely things like "the levels don't fit well together", "the gameplay is too slow in some parts", "there are graphical glitches that take the player out of the experience", etc (Keep in mind that I'm just making these up, they didn't come from any review in particular. They're just examples of something you might see).

I normally agree with most of what they say when I play a game through. Like in Metroid Prime 3, I felt that there were things that held it back, and I felt it got the score it deserved (I wrote about it in my blog a while back, so I'm not going to get into it again). I get upset when I see a somewhat lower score than I though a game would get, but that's only because I want the game to be better than it actually turned out.

So far, Galaxy is the only game that has lived up to my standards (Wii Sports to a lesser degree, but it's more of a demo than a full game). It's the only game that I am fully satisfied with in the Wii library.

That's not to say that I didn't like any of the other games I own, far from it. I really like all of my games. I just thought that some could be better in some parts, or something doesn't quite fit in, or something is missing, etc. That doesn't mean that I don't like the games though, it just means that the games had more potential, and didn't fully deliver. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me. Not every game is going to be perfect.

You might think GameSpot's reviews are harsh, but I find that they're one of the only sites I can trust. I actually respect most of what they say. Not all of what they say, but most. They're only being so harsh because they have higher standards than most sites, so when a game isn't perfect, they'll point it out. They seem to be one of the only sites that aren't afraid to give a flagship franchise, such as Zelda or Metroid, a lower score than most. Just because these games have a huge fanbase doesn't mean that they have special privileges over other games. Because if Gamespot did give them special treatment...well than that, my friends, is what biased really is.

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

some stupid reviews

Bleach Shattered Blade 3.5

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 6

Fire Emblem RD 6

so yeah GS hates Wii most of the staff are big 360/PS3/PC/PSP fans

PhazonBlazer

Um...the only good game of that bunch was Fire Emblem.

Bleach, and Mario&Sonic Olymics got terrible reviews virtually everywhere.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I didn't used to, but now I do.

They nitpick with the reviews and look for the smallest little things that could make the game bad. Forexample,why the hell would anyone want Mii integration in Fire Emblem?

LOLhahaDEAD

i know, wat kind of idiot actually thinks that? mii intergration? fire emblem? wtf!? wat a lame idea that it. themiis would look so bad in it. jesus christ has that guy ever even played a fire emblem game before?

Allin2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Allin2911
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
It might have a little something to do with the fact that every multi-platform game looks and feels better on the 360/PS3.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Personally I go to IGN for reviews. The Zelda TP and Metroid Prime 3 reviews here disapointed me.

bob_newman: "They seem to be one of the only sites that aren't afraid to give a flagship franchise, such as Zelda or Metroid, a lower score than most. Just because these games have a huge fanbase doesn't mean that they have special privileges over other games."

They're good games because they're good games, not because they have a huge fanbase.

Eagle-Teeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eagle-Teeth
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts
I really don't know why people get so bothered about reviews i mean take RE:UC i will be buying that BECAUSE I WANT IT! I don't care what anyone else says. Oh and as for IGN if you want reviews written by people who are easily impressed then thats the place.
guisepppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 guisepppe
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

There's nothing wrong with their reviews because it's their opinion. They give a game what they feel it deserves. Besides, it's not about the "score" they give it that matters. A lot of people are just too lazy to read the full review, or watch the video review. If you read/watched the full reviews, you'd hear what they have to say.

Just because they have a section for "the bad" parts of the game, it doesn't mean that those things are what caused the score to be so "low" (I put "low" in quotes, because an 8.5 is considered "great" by GameSpot's standards. I personally don't see anything wrong with "great"...but that's just me). They're just some basic re-cap's of things that bothered them, it doesn't reflect the whole score. There are other reasons why a game got the score it did...namely things like "the levels don't fit well together", "the gameplay is too slow in some parts", "there are graphical glitches that take the player out of the experience", etc (Keep in mind that I'm just making these up, they didn't come from any review in particular. They're just examples of something you might see).

I normally agree with most of what they say when I play a game through. Like in Metroid Prime 3, I felt that there were things that held it back, and I felt it got the score it deserved (I wrote about it in my blog a while back, so I'm not going to get into it again). I get upset when I see a somewhat lower score than I though a game would get, but that's only because I want the game to be better than it actually turned out.

So far, Galaxy is the only game that has lived up to my standards (Wii Sports to a lesser degree, but it's more of a demo than a full game). It's the only game that I am fully satisfied with in the Wii library.

That's not to say that I didn't like any of the other games I own, far from it. I really like all of my games. I just thought that some could be better in some parts, or something doesn't quite fit in, or something is missing, etc. That doesn't mean that I don't like the games though, it just means that the games had more potential, and didn't fully deliver. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me. Not every game is going to be perfect.

You might think GameSpot's reviews are harsh, but I find that they're one of the only sites I can trust. I actually respect most of what they say. Not all of what they say, but most. They're only being so harsh because they have higher standards than most sites, so when a game isn't perfect, they'll point it out. They seem to be one of the only sites that aren't afraid to give a flagship franchise, such as Zelda or Metroid, a lower score than most. Just because these games have a huge fanbase doesn't mean that they have special privileges over other games. Because if Gamespot did give them special treatment...well than that, my friends, is what biased really is.

bob_newman

You sir, are spot on :). You put my thoughts into words and now I don't have to, thankyou ^^.

Glitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Glitch321
Member since 2003 • 913 Posts
Just because they give games like Zelda and MP3 lower marks doesn't mean they are more credible or right. I don't think Gamespot is bias i just think they idiots. Oh and Zelda totally deserved at least a 9.0.
EYEInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 EYEInferno
Member since 2003 • 530 Posts
*Signed* Wii gets underrated by GS alot.. Just look at Fire Emblem or Zelda.
nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nomadph
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

*signed*.

they should issue a public apology as well, explaining that they're graphics whores who don't know anything about gameplay or game content.

(mii in fire emblem...lolz...nuff said)

Babinro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Babinro
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
While Gamespot for Wii tends to give 'lower' scores, I feel that if you read or watch the reviews they justify the scores very well. Take Metroid Prime 3 for example. That game is amazing, but they nail exactly why it shouldn't have been a 9.5 or 10 game that people wanted. While I personally prefer IGN, I feel Gamestop does a far better job of pointing out realistic negatives or actualities of a game.
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts
IGN FTW!!! you just gotta love matt and bozon
YamiSSJ4Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YamiSSJ4Goku
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
What in the world are u people talking about. You guys are just complaining because you want them to give the games higher ratings. These reviewers have their own opinion, u have no right to tell them to alter their opinion just because u think that a wii game (that might not even be good) should get a higher mark. I have a wii and I think that their reviews are pretty accurate. Or are u guys just mad because they didn't give Mario Galaxy a 10 or something? If ur upset about the review, make ur own, or see what other people think about the game.
bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
They did give Mg a good review, but thats probably one of the only Wii games to get a fair review. Most Wii games are below what other sites give them. LOZ TP being a great example. Mos games that they rate really high have great multiplayer. So if it doesn't have multiplayer like alot of the hardcore nintendo games, it automatically gets rated lower.
guisepppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 guisepppe
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

They did give Mg a good review, but thats probably one of the only Wii games to get a fair review. Most Wii games are below what other sites give them. LOZ TP being a great example. Mos games that they rate really high have great multiplayer. So if it doesn't have multiplayer like alot of the hardcore nintendo games, it automatically gets rated lower.bigcalkenobi

So how do you explain games like BioShock, Guitar Hero 2, Assassin´s Creed, Eternal Sonata, TESIV: Oblivion or Dead Rising? All of which got a score above 8.0 without having multiplayer.

waw003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 waw003
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts
SIGNED
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Oh and Zelda totally deserved at least a 9.0.Glitch321

Even though all this drama about review scores bothers me, this quoted idea probably bothers me the most. Twilight Princess got an 8.8. What's the difference in .2?! The little word underneath the score? Obviously nobody cares about that word any way, since even 7.0 means "good" yet everyone apparently thinks that a 7.0 game is horrible.

bob_newman already said much of what I think, so I won't repeat it. Whenever I see people passionately complaining about a review score, though, it just blows my mind, especially since the vast majority of the complaining comes before any of us have even played any significant portion of the game.

And complaining about the score after you've beaten the game is nearly as bad. Sure, you're allowed to disagree with the reviewer's opinion, but who is any one of us to say what the game's rating should have been? It's hard to say that our opinions are better than the Gamespot reviewers', since they do this for a living. It's possible but unlikely. That's like my saying that I can play the guitar better than a professional; I might be able to play better than some, but it's unlikely.

Glitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Glitch321
Member since 2003 • 913 Posts

[QUOTE="Glitch321"]Oh and Zelda totally deserved at least a 9.0.JordanElek

Even though all this drama about review scores bothers me, this quoted idea probably bothers me the most. Twilight Princess got an 8.8. What's the difference in .2?! The little word underneath the score? Obviously nobody cares about that word any way, since even 7.0 means "good" yet everyone apparently thinks that a 7.0 game is horrible.

bob_newman already said much of what I think, so I won't repeat it. Whenever I see people passionately complaining about a review score, though, it just blows my mind, especially since the vast majority of the complaining comes before any of us have even played any significant portion of the game.

And complaining about the score after you've beaten the game is nearly as bad. Sure, you're allowed to disagree with the reviewer's opinion, but who is any one of us to say what the game's rating should have been? It's hard to say that our opinions are better than the Gamespot reviewers', since they do this for a living. It's possible but unlikely. That's like my saying that I can play the guitar better than a professional; I might be able to play better than some, but it's unlikely.

I can argue about a review score all i like, this is a review site forum so obviously scores do matter here. Who cares if they do this for a living also?, doesn't mean there always right. Look at what they gave games like Mario Kart and Shenmue.