Regions, Voltage, and So Forth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pinebark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 pinebark
Member since 2003 • 1501 Posts
Hi all,

I'm currently applying to an exchange program for my third year of university. Right now, it looks as if I'll be going to Leeds if all goes well. Now, this is a very minor concern -- but I'm wondering if and how I could get a North American Wii working in the UK. I think a voltage convertor could be used to plug it in, but how does the whole region thing fit in? I know the Wii is region-locked, meaning I will not be able to play UK games on my Wii, but will it work on a UK TV at all? I know this is somewhat of a silly question, as I'll likely be too busy studying and enjoying the change of locale, but I'm trying to tie down all the minor things now. Thanks.
pinebark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 pinebark
Member since 2003 • 1501 Posts
Any help at all on this? Anything would be appreciated from somebody who has an understanding on the workings of Wii region mechanics.
kokopelli76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kokopelli76
Member since 2006 • 473 Posts
I think a lot of things depend on the specific television you want to hook up to.  I'm no expert on PAL, but I do know that a lot of the newer televisions may be able to handle both NTSC and PAL.  Specifically the flat panel televisions.  If you brought your own (or a computer monitor that supports component or S-video inputs) you would have it pretty set up, obviously with appropriate voltage conversion.
I don't think there's a blanket answer to the question though, as a lot depends on what and where you hook up to. I was last in England about 5 years ago, everything I saw then was PAL CRT, a lot has changed in the TV world since then. 
Killian68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Killian68
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts
Since you're not buying yourself a tv over there, you should really check your place of accomodation if they have a tv and if it is a multi-system tv (accepts PAL & NTSC tv signal). If it is a multi-system, then you're set and all you'll need is the voltage converter. I don't know how high a percentage of tv owners have a multi-system tv. In the asian region where I am, it's pretty much all televisions are multi-system as we use PAL signals for tv but videogames are NTSC.