Nintendo, I don't understand you...

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

I just don't get why doesn't Nintendo start bringing back their other 1st party titles such as Starfox, Pikmin, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc? 1st party titles are mainly what the Wii users buy, so there's no doubt they would gain a huge profit.

I know that they only have so many people to work with, but is this the only thing holding them back?

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Sega does what nintendont

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
what there is new star fox coming out? cuz it sounds like you are saying that
Avatar image for XxshadowgamerxX
XxshadowgamerxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 XxshadowgamerxX
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

You dont understand nintendo and I dont understand you

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ramen1020

Sorry everybody, I corrected my mistakes... I pulled an all nighter last night so I'm a little out of it...

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Nintendo think differently, they are more concerned with how long a game continues to sell and they give us these figures in response to our asking for new games, I don't care how many people are buying a game I got bored of a year ago how about something new :?. The moto is quality > quantity, and while it is frustrating (its been like this since the N64) when you look back at the console library on its death bed it does look impressive.

its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

dontshackzmii

lol i remember that

ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

I could really use a new starfox game.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

ArmoredAshes

I'll second that. And a new Kirby. And DK. And Pikmin. And...

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

dontshackzmii

Haha, everytime I read that I laugh.. Greatest slogan ever.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#11 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I think the Star Fox series never sold as well as some of the other series.

But yeah, it could also be a lack of ideas. I know Nintendo refrained from releasing a Metroid game for the N64, because they simply couldn't think of anything worthwhile.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="Ramen1020"]

I just don't get why doesn't Nintendo start bringing back their other 1st party titles such as Starfox, Pikmin, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc? 1st party titles are mainly what the Wii users buy, so there's no doubt they would gain a huge profit.

I know that they only have so many people to work with, but is this the only thing holding them back?

People expect every single franchise in the last decade to be revived, ignoring the fact that many other franchises- sin and punishment 2, excitebike, punch-out, have been revived. Nintendo has more franchises in the console gaming market than any other company. YOU are the one overlooking those things. And by the way, there is a Donkey Kong game for the Wii, and it's not the new play control either.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
who told you those games aren't under development? zelda's been made for over 4 years and we only heard of it until last year.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I don't understand you people...

Nintendo is working on three HUGE titles. A Zelda, Mario, and Metroid title (And possibly Kirby).

How are they supposed to make Starfox, Pikmin, Donkey Kong,..ect. and all these other games all at the same time?

Edit:

who told you those games aren't under development? zelda's been made for over 4 years and we only heard of it until last year.BrunoBRS

Also, that too.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

Nintendo is working on three HUGE titles. A Zelda, Mario, and Metroid title (And possibly Kirby).

How are they supposed to make Starfox, Pikmin, Donkey Kong,..ect. and all these other games all at the same time?

awssk8er716

because people need things to complain. they'd still be complaining even if they had what they've been asking for years, just like these guys

boycott of the year for them, you have to admit :P

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#16 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

because people need things to complain. they'd still be complaining even if they had what they've been asking for years, just like these guys

boycott of the year for them, you have to admit :P

BrunoBRS

Wow, that's easily the most retarded thing I've read all week...

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ramen1020

Edit:

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]who told you those games aren't under development? zelda's been made for over 4 years and we only heard of it until last year.awssk8er716

Also, that too.

I never said they should start all of them at the same time, I meant they should spread'em out to give you more variety, and since Pikmin, Star Fox etc. have already built up a fan base they wouldn't have to worry if it would catch on or not. And to Bruno, I'm talking about the older franchises that we haven't seen for a while, not titles like Zelda or Mario who we see constantly.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

sonic_spark

Haha, everytime I read that I laugh.. Greatest slogan ever.

The golden age of gaming, when the battle was between games, not $60 marketing hot spots. And lol at another "But teh Star Fox" topic.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I would be happy with a new Star Fox game

But lets give them a break, they are already making a new mario, zelda and metroid games+

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Nintendo never wins.

Theyre giving us new installments in their 3 biggest franchises and yet people still ***** and moan.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nintendo never wins.

Theyre giving us new installments in their 3 biggest franchises and yet people still ***** and moan.

Shirokishi_

You're kidding right?

You make it sound like they planned on doing all of this

The only reason we're seeing these games is because Nintendo screwed up and they're scrambling to regain their status.

Because Nintendo didn't capitalize on the Wii's success they lost momentum in the North American and Japanese sectors and needed something to revive them. Metroid is for the Japanese users who abandoned the series when it became a first person shooter.

Mario Galaxy is coming out so soon because that's supposed to help hook North America again on Nintendo's software

Everyone should be upset that while Nintendo could do anything they chose to not do anything at all when it comes to Kirby and F-Zero and StarFox etc and now because they're in the hole they're shooting for games they think can save them

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
^lol oh of course, that's why MS is bring out Halo Reach too, and Sony GoW3 and Gran Turismo. Everybody is bringing out their biggest franchises because they all failed to capitalize on their consoles and need to be revitalized, right?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

^lol oh of course, that's why MS is bring out Halo Reach too, and Sony GoW3 and Gran Turismo. Everybody is bringing out their biggest franchises because they all failed to capitalize on their consoles and need to be revitalized, right?Sepewrath

Sorry, only talking about the Wii in the Wii forum

Now if you'd like to talk about how often we've seen a Mario game per generation?

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]^lol oh of course, that's why MS is bring out Halo Reach too, and Sony GoW3 and Gran Turismo. Everybody is bringing out their biggest franchises because they all failed to capitalize on their consoles and need to be revitalized, right?Jaysonguy

Now if you'd like to talk about how often we've seen a Mario game per generation?

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

I could understand NSMBW but when I heard about SMG2 I'm not gonna lie, I smelled a little desperation coming from Ninty, thats an unheard of move that we haven't seen in quite a few gens :?

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Nintendo never wins.

Jaysonguy

You're kidding right?

You make it sound like they planned on doing all of this

The only reason we're seeing these games is because Nintendo screwed up and they're scrambling to regain their status.

Because Nintendo didn't capitalize on the Wii's success they lost momentum in the North American and Japanese sectors and needed something to revive them. Metroid is for the Japanese users who abandoned the series when it became a first person shooter.

Mario Galaxy is coming out so soon because that's supposed to help hook North America again on Nintendo's software

Everyone should be upset that while Nintendo could do anything they chose to not do anything at all when it comes to Kirby and F-Zero and StarFox etc and now because they're in the hole they're shooting for games they think can save them

You think Nintendo needs saving? Now? Lol, ok.

Their reputation isnt ruined or tarnished, just scratched a bit.

If Nintendo was working on F Zero, Kirby and SarFox what do you think people would be complaining about then?

Zelda, Mario and Metroid games not in the works :roll:

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts

ArmoredAshes
Oh jeez. Same here. I want another one like star fox assault where you could go on foot, tank, or arwing.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Atleast Kirby lives on on the handhelds. I'd really like a new Starfox.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]^lol oh of course, that's why MS is bring out Halo Reach too, and Sony GoW3 and Gran Turismo. Everybody is bringing out their biggest franchises because they all failed to capitalize on their consoles and need to be revitalized, right?Jaysonguy

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

your point being...?

the more the merrier. we're getting more quality titles, if they're doing this because they fear they're losing space or just because they're kind and generous, it doesn't matter, there isn't a reason to complain.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

I could understand NSMBW but when I heard about SMG2 I'm not gonna lie, I smelled a little desperation coming from Ninty, thats an unheard of move that we haven't seen in quite a few gens :?

kenakuma

I think everybody agrees that super mario galaxy is one of the best games of this decade, goty 2007 etc, those who don't, have no clue what the word gameplay means.

I don't understand why you think it's an act of desperation. My point is that it's not like you could say "they should've just added yoshi, suppermassive world etc in SMG, not make a 2" because there's no filler levels / content in SMG, everything is perfected. It's just reasonable that they made a sequel, which I see as the continuation of the first game, so when I'm gonna talk about "SMG" I will include both, not compare them like sunshine to galaxy, thats how I see it.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]^lol oh of course, that's why MS is bring out Halo Reach too, and Sony GoW3 and Gran Turismo. Everybody is bringing out their biggest franchises because they all failed to capitalize on their consoles and need to be revitalized, right?kenakuma

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

That's like saying Super Mario Bros. 3 was also a desperation move by Nintendo, and look how that turned out. If anything, it suggests the key to a successful Nintendo console is multiple Mario platformers. This is a sequel-driven industry we're talking about, and if you want to keep the train rolling, it's much easier to do it something that you KNOW will move millions of copies over something that MIGHT be successful in the long run. Nintendo's in no more of a "desperate" state than any other company in this industry. There will be three Mario platformers this gen because, quite frankly, they're all guarnteed to be successful games from a critical, and more importantly, a commercial perspective.

I don't see what's so hard to understand here. Nintendo knows that Mario will be more successful in his sleep than a StarFox, Pikmin, or Donkey Kong will be, so of course they would make that a greater priority. The Metroid series has been outsourced to another developer since the Prime series, and will continue to be so with Other M. And everyone knew a Zelda game was coming eventually, and given that TP was a port, it's about time that we see an installment in the series that actually tries to push the Wii this time around. I can't say I see anything unusual about what Nintendo is doing.

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#31 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="ArmoredAshes"]

wes008

I'll second that. And a new Kirby. And DK. And Pikmin. And...

And I'll third that. I also want Banjo Wiiie.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

That would be 2 on the SNES, and the fact that you bring up only 1 being on the GC and N64, the two systems that could have benefited most from a "desperation Mario" completely disproves your claim. They are doing it for one reason and one reason alone; Mario craps hundred dollar bills, simple logic isn't it?

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

Madmangamer364

That's like saying Super Mario Bros. 3 was also a desperation move by Nintendo, and look how that turned out. If anything, it suggests the key to a successful Nintendo console is multiple Mario platformers. This is a sequel-driven industry we're talking about, and if you want to keep the train rolling, it's much easier to do it something that you KNOW will move millions of copies over something that MIGHT be successful in the long run.

Sorry I had to stop reading right around there. Super mario 3 (more like 2) was 1,2,3,4 gens ago! It was also the second real mario platformer game ever (smb2 usa was just another game mario slapped on and smb2 jp was really just smb1.5, a hareder but suoer similar smb1) and is an exception for numerous obvious reasons.

Last time I checked the n64 and gc DIDN'T have multiple mario platformers and they where both pretty decent consoles, dare I say successful, but now with the wii were getting not 1, not 2 but 3 mario platformers?!? Who knows maybe even 4+ if they intend to do nsmbw2 or something.

Like you said, "it's much easier to do something that you KNOW will move millions of copies" that alone screams desperation! So what? Now Ninty is just basically gonna milk mario platformers, 1,2,3 per platform till the point were there super generic and similar just for the sake of making a quick buck (while in the long run mario basically turns into sonic and becomes less profitable)?

I liked the old stratedgy where they did one mario like 64 or SS and then spent their time and money (DSOTM) to work on the next one and make it amazing, and what do we end up getting with this formula? SMG!!! Not to mention an oppurtunity for the Mario franchise to take a brake and make room for other Ninty franchises to shine on the platform.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kenakuma

I don't see what's so hard to understand here. Nintendo knows that Mario will be more successful in his sleep than a StarFox, Pikmin, or Donkey Kong will be, so of course they would make that a greater priority. The Metroid series has been outsourced to another developer since the Prime series, and will continue to be so with Other M. And everyone knew a Zelda game was coming eventually, and given that TP was a port, it's about time that we see an installment in the series that actually tries to push the Wii this time around. I can't say I see anything unusual about what Nintendo is doing.

Madmangamer364

Sorry, now I read the rest of your post and I basically stick by what I said in my intital response, escpecially after this line, "Nintendo knows that Mario will be more successful in his sleep than a StarFox, Pikmin, or Donkey Kong will be, so of course they would make that a greater priority" which I already responded to this stratedgy that would ultimately run mario dry and stale as well as block out other franchises that deserve some light!

Going for a quick buck versus taking the risk of taking time to be innovative is simply saying "hey where desperate and need something BIG right now to compete".

That being said I dont see why they would be desperate (even though I see it as a desperate move), sure the wii isnt growing anymore as a console sales wise but their still doing more than fine with sales, maybe they have just gained a new sense of love for money and now they crave it without exception?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sepewrath

Sorry, now I read the rest of your post and I basically stick by what I said in my intital response, escpecially after this line, "Nintendo knows that Mario will be more successful in his sleep than a StarFox, Pikmin, or Donkey Kong will be, so of course they would make that a greater priority" which I already responded to this stratedgy that would ultimately run mario dry and stale as well as block out other franchises that deserve some light!

Going for a quick buck versus taking the risk of taking time to be innovative is simply saying "hey where desperate and need something BIG right now to compete".

That being said I dont see why they would be desperate (even though I see it as a desperate move), sure the wii isnt growing anymore as a console sales wise but their still doing more than fine with sales, maybe they have just gained a new sense of love for money and now they crave it without exception?

kenakuma

You don't seem to understand the goal of the game industry is to make money. The fans asked for more Mario, the fans made it clear that they would shell out their hard earned cash for Mario. So your Nintendo, you would say "No, were not giving you the game you want, instead you get games that you have shown much much less interest in buying?" that wouldn't be a very wise business decision. It has nothing to do with desperation...its simple common sense. You don't get to be a multi-billion dollar corporation, by ignoring common sense. I mean by your logic, why make a Zelda game this year, why not make a Captain N, Ice Climber or a R.O.B game instead?

You think these games were come up with and designed in the last 6 months? They have been working on them for awhile, so the schedule has likely been the plan for awhile, so how could they have been deseperate when at the time these games were green lit, you couldn't even find a Wii on the shelf? Right now, everybody is deperate to stay competitive with Nintendo.

Let me tell you a secret, everyone in the game industry craves money without exception. The publishers, the developers, the console makers, the media, the ESA, retailers and the list goes on. In business, you give the consumer what they want, not whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like it. Star Fox isn't going anywhere, Pikmin isn't either and neither are the people who will buy it, but you get the big fish out first, especially if a consoles life span could be wrapping up.

@Ragnarok-64

No Rare was run by Donkey Kong lol

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Madmangamer364

Sorry I had to stop reading right around there. Super mario 3 (more like 2) was 1,2,3,4 gens ago! It was also the second real mario platformer game ever (smb2 usa was just another game mario slapped on and smb2 jp was really just smb1.5, a hareder but suoer similar smb1) and is an exception for numerous obvious reasons.

Last time I checked the n64 and gc DIDN'T have multiple mario platformers and they where both pretty decent consoles, dare I say successful, but now with the wii were getting not 1, not 2 but 3 mario platformers?!? Who knows maybe even 4+ if they intend to do nsmbw2 or something.

Like you said, "it's much easier to do something that you KNOW will move millions of copies" that alone screams desperation! So what? Now Ninty is just basically gonna milk mario platformers, 1,2,3 per platform till the point were there super generic and similar just for the sake of making a quick buck (while in the long run mario basically turns into sonic and becomes less profitable)?

I liked the old stratedgy where they did one mario like 64 or SS and then spent their time and money (DSOTM) to work on the next one and make it amazing, and what do we end up getting with this formula? SMG!!! Not to mention an oppurtunity for the Mario franchise to take a brake and make room for other Ninty franchises to shine on the platform.

kenakuma

Who cares how long ago it's been since it's been done? The fact is that this isn't the first time a Nintendo console has seen multiple Mario platformers, and it has worked out well each time. If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward, something not many franchises can say. The only difference between now and the NES days is that somehow, it's now considered to be a desperate act by Nintendo, instead a celebrated event where the entire gaming universe can't wait to their hands on more Mario. Perception aside, it's the same exact circumstance.

Sticking to what you know will work doesn't make you "desperate;" it makes you smart. This is why just about everything successful within this industry becomes a sequel. And since when has Nintendo ever made anything remotely close to a "super generic" Mario game of any sort to make you guess that a few platformers will end up that way? Nintendo definitely has a greater grip on Mario than Sega has had with Sonic, especially since the post 16-bit days, and has experience of doing this very thing we speak of, so why is there this fear that things will suddenly go astray?

Heck, it doesn't mean that from now on, we'll see three Mario platformers a gen; it just means that for this particular period of time, we're fortunate enough to get three Super Mario games, with the first two already proven as two of the best games in the series in years, and the upcoming third game looking as promising as any Super Mario game does. As long as the quality is there, which it always is, I don't see the need to complain about this. Funny thing about this is that in the previous two gens, many fans begged for more than one Mario platformer a gen. If anything, it's the franchise like StarFox and Donkey Kong that needs a break, since they've been in the middle of an identity crisis of late, along with the less than amazing commercial success, and the Wii has done better than serviceable without them in the spotlight. A gen off could be enough time for these series to reinvent themselves, much like what Metroid was able to do.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Madmangamer364

Since you broke down my comment into two replies, I'll think I'll do the same here. :P

kenakuma

I won't talk too much about your first remark here, since I've already touched on how this isn't as desperate of a move as Nintendo's part as you seem to think it is. Nintendo's a business, and knowing that you have certain advantages in your back pocket and being able to use them well is one of the keys to be a successful company. Mario going stale is the LAST thing any gamer should be worrying about, and anyone who has touched an NES AND a Wii should be very aware of this.

Wait a second here... would creating a DK or StarFox sequel be somehow more innovative than making a Mario game? :? I'm not sure where you're getting at with that, quite frankly. Putting together a Mario game would be just as much work as making a game in the other franchises. The biggest difference between Mario and the other franchises is that Mario will sell more without question, and that's likely to do with because everyone knows the Mario game will be the better product. Furthermore, why are you questioning Nintendo's ability to innovate when that's all it has done this gen? I could see that if Nintendo was struggling to stay relevant, kinda like last gen, but this is an entirely different circumstance, and Nintendo's in a league on its own right now. If it want to make more Mario games, it reserves every right to do so without question. Dare I point out every successful system that have had multiple installments of a series in the same gen? It could take a while if I go down that route...

Did you not pay attention to what happened in December? The Wii had its best month ever, and you better believe that NSMBWii was the biggest factor in that. Try putting StarFox, Pikmin, Kirby, or DK in those shoes, and see if the same results will occur. Why are you looking at this as if Nintendo has suddenly gotten so greedy with money, it's going about things the wrong way? It's no more or less the position ANY company in the video game industry would love to be in, and you better believe that if ANY of them could trade spots with Nintendo, they would without a molecule of reservation. At this point, Nintendo's not competing with anyone or anything but themselves and sorta-kinda-maybe the bad rap it gets these days by the rest of the industry and gaming community, as if that has had any effect on how things have turned out thus far to begin with.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#39 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

NES - 3 Mario titles
SNES - 1 Mario title
N64 - 1 Mario title
Gamecube - 1 Mario title
Wii - 3 so far

Jaysonguy

And that is why this is the best gen ever for Mario fans. :P

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kenakuma

Who cares how long ago it's been since it's been done? The fact is that this isn't the first time a Nintendo console has seen multiple Mario platformers, and it has worked out well each time. If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward, something not many franchises can say. The only difference between now and the NES days is that somehow, it's now considered to be a desperate act by Nintendo, instead a celebrated event where the entire gaming universe can't wait to their hands on more Mario. Perception aside, it's the same exact circumstance.

Madmangamer364

This statement, "Who cares how long ago it's been since it's been done?" contradicts aaaaaaaaaaaaall of this,"The fact is that this isn't the first time a Nintendo console has seen multiple Mario platformers, and it has worked out well each time. If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward, something not many franchises can say."

Obviously the fact it was last done in the Nes era 1,2,3,4 gens ago very much is a testament against all the reasons you listed.

"If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward"

^ Yeah if only that where true :| The truth is Ninty DOSEN'T release multiple marios in the same gen in fears of the franchise losing both its longevity and edge, the last two own up to that N64 and GC. The only exception they would make is if they were certain that the sequel was 10,000 miles ahead of its predecesor and was a next gen game within itself which is basically what SMB3 was, waaaay ahead of its time.

So far from what I've seen SMG2 to SMG =/= SMB3 to SMB, not buy a long shot and definetly not the same exact circumstances!

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kenakuma

Did you not pay attention to what happened in December? The Wii had its best month ever, and you better believe that NSMBWii was the biggest factor in that. Try putting StarFox, Pikmin, Kirby, or DK in those shoes, and see if the same results will occur. Why are you looking at this as if Nintendo has suddenly gotten so greedy with money, it's going about things the wrong way?

Madmangamer364

You don't think Ninty could have released SM64 2 after how huuuuuuuuuuge the first one was over games like Starfox 64? That would have also been the better buissnes plan for them as a company on paper, no stafox 64 but a SM64 2 instead. That would have meant mario gets a little stale and another franchise loses a game but for now where making a quick buck.

Heck sure making sequels to known successful franchises is always a safer buisness move that is sure to bring in cash but honestly in the long run it hurts because your sacrificing diversity and creativity for the easy way out to make a quick buck and your losing your edge in doing so. Ninty knows this and thats why SMG2 is looking like a desperate move, their probably thinking, "we really need it and it won't hurt us if we do it just this once", and I hope their right and I hope next gen we see only one amazing SMG level game, even though because of SMG2 we probably won't because that team just lost years of work they could have spent brainstorming new fresh ideas and developing those ideas but instead they have been forced to turn out ANOTHER SMG game for the same console.

In other words if you want the next SM game on the next console to be anywhere near as good as SMG where gonna have to wait twice as long to give that team back all the time they lost making SMG2. That statement reinforces my point, yeah quick and easy buck now, but in the long run it hurts, its a risky and desperate move! The next mario may suffer due to it and other franchises may suffer as well......

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

kenakuma

This statement, "Who cares how long ago it's been since it's been done?" contradicts aaaaaaaaaaaaall of this,"The fact is that this isn't the first time a Nintendo console has seen multiple Mario platformers, and it has worked out well each time. If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward, something not many franchises can say."

Obviously the fact it was last done in the Nes era 1,2,3,4 gens ago very much is a testament against all the reasons you listed.

"If anything, it should be a compliment to the series' longevity and ability to release multiple installments in a gen without losing an edge moving forward"

^ Yeah if only that where true :| The truth is Ninty DOSEN'T release multiple marios in the same gen in fears of the franchise losing both its longevity and edge, the last two own up to that N64 and GC. The only exception they would make is if they were certain that the sequel was 10,000 miles ahead of its predecesor and was a next gen game within itself which is basically what SMB3 was, waaaay ahead of its time.

So far from what I've seen SMG2 to SMG =/= SMB3 to SMB, not buy a long shot and definetly not the same exact circumstances!

Understand this. Nintendo is a business, and Mario sells, more so than any other game. Hence, it is a very wise business decision to release a game as long as consumers want it... which they do. Please don't for one second that Nintendo isn't in this to make money. That's their primary objective, as well as the objective of any other companies out there. They are not some fan servicing club.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kenakuma

Understand this. Nintendo is a business, and Mario sells, more so than any other game. Hence, it is a very wise business decision to release a game as long as consumers want it... which they do. Please don't for one second that Nintendo isn't in this to make money. That's their primary objective, as well as the objective of any other companies out there. They are not some fan servicing club.Shottayouth13-

And understand this, theres different ways of making money, you can release a game like SMG2 to make a quick sure buck or take that time and money and put it into the next gen mario game so that it can turn out as great as SMG was!

Both of these strategies make money, one is a quick sure thing the other is risky but offers a much greater pay off in the long run, which one you choose depends on how comfortable and confident you are as a company.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

kenakuma

I fail to see how those two statements contradict each other. You're the one trying to make the argument that somehow it's a bad thing for Nintendo to release multiple Mario games in a gen, even though it's been done before successfully without damage, and that it's also a bad thing that it's been so long since Nintendo has used such an approach for its consoles. That this somehow all smells like some desperate act for the company, when the two times it has happened, the company was in the best position it was ever in at the time prior to it. Desperation would make more sense if we were talking about the GCN here, but not the NES and especially not the Wii. In any case, seeing as how Nintendo has been around that long and can do this again does indeed speak volumes that Mario has the longevity in qualtiy and consumer trust that Nintendo would consider this again. We're talking about an industry where franchises seem to live and die by the gen, so it is a compliment that there is something that can be successful at any time and do it multiple times a gen and still have the power to move on.

Once again, you're going to have to elaborate in detail where you found a contradiction in my previous statement, as I'm just not seeing it.

Who says the reason the N64 and GCN didn't see multiple Mario games was because Nintendo was fearful of the series losing something? Have you worked for Nintendo or something in the past, because that's a rather bold thing to say without any solid proof. Heck, Zelda did see multiple installments in both of those gens, so maybe that's where the attention was being focused on instead. Furthermore, there's no rule that a sequel has to make an SMB3-like jump in order for it to be justified. The only thing that matters is if Nintendo wants to put forth the work to develop more than one Mario game a gen or not, and obviously, they've decided to do so with the Wii. You're trying to use the N64 and GCN as evidence that making one Mario game a gen is the only way to go, and the problem is that in the other gens, the series has held up just as well with multiple installments, if not significantly better in terms of quality and sales. Where exactly are you getting these unwritten rules that Mario has to be developed and used a certain way each gen?

I'm really trying hard to understand your logic here, but the more I look at it, the less I get out of it. To put it simply, what exactly is so harmful about Nintendo deciding to release more than one Mario game this gen on the Wii? I could see if it was simply something you didn't desire, and I would respect that, but you're acting like this is an unjustified coporate panic move by Nintendo when it's anything but that. If Galaxy was sufficient enough and if the Wii is still a successful console, where exactly is the desperation coming from for Nintendo to release another Mario game? Perhaps they're doing this because it's what they WANT to do, and not what they NEED to do?

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shottayouth13-

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]Understand this. Nintendo is a business, and Mario sells, more so than any other game. Hence, it is a very wise business decision to release a game as long as consumers want it... which they do. Please don't for one second that Nintendo isn't in this to make money. That's their primary objective, as well as the objective of any other companies out there. They are not some fan servicing club.kenakuma

And understand this, theres different ways of making money, you can release a game like SMG2 to make a quick sure buck or take that time and money and put it into the next gen mario game so that it can turn out as great as SMG was!

Both of these strategies make money, one is a quick sure thing the other is risky but offers a much greater pay off in the long run, which one you choose depends on how comfortable and confident you are as a company.

Umm firstly, nothing sells as much as Mario, nothing..at..all. Not even MW2 managed to outsell it. Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario. So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out? That...makes.... no sense. Never ever should one worry about quality in a Mario title as Nintendo sure as hell won't mess that one up. I'm quite sure that Nintendo is confident, more so that any other company right now. Releasing SMG2 doesn't prove that they aren't confident; its just giving fans more of what they want.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kenakuma

I fail to see how those two statements contradict each other. You're the one trying to make the argument that somehow it's a bad thing for Nintendo to release multiple Mario games in a gen, even though it's been done before successfully without damage, and that it's also a bad thing that it's been so long since Nintendo has used such an approach for its consoles. That this somehow all smells like some desperate act for the company, when the two times it has happened, the company was in the best position it was ever in at the time prior to it. Desperation would make more sense if we were talking about the GCN here, but not the NES and especially not the Wii. In any case, seeing as how Nintendo has been around that long and can do this again does indeed speak volumes that Mario has the longevity in qualtiy and consumer trust that Nintendo would consider this again. We're talking about an industry where franchises seem to live and die by the gen, so it is a compliment that there is something that can be successful at any time and do it multiple times a gen and still have the power to move on.

Once again, you're going to have to elaborate in detail where you found a contradiction in my previous statement, as I'm just not seeing it.

Who says the reason the N64 and GCN didn't see multiple Mario games was because Nintendo was fearful of the series losing something? Have you worked for Nintendo or something in the past, because that's a rather bold thing to say without any solid proof. Heck, Zelda did see multiple installments in both of those gens, so maybe that's where the attention was being focused on instead. Furthermore, there's no rule that a sequel has to make an SMB3-like jump in order for it to be justified. The only thing that matters is if Nintendo wants to put forth the work to develop more than one Mario game a gen or not, and obviously, they've decided to do so with the Wii. You're trying to use the N64 and GCN as evidence that making one Mario game a gen is the only way to go, and the problem is that in the other gens, the series has held up just as well with multiple installments, if not significantly better in terms of quality and sales. Where exactly are you getting these unwritten rules that Mario has to be developed and used a certain way each gen?

I'm really trying hard to understand your logic here, but the more I look at it, the less I get out of it. To put it simply, what exactly is so harmful about Nintendo deciding to release more than one Mario game this gen on the Wii? I could see if it was simply something you didn't desire, and I would respect that, but you're acting like this is an unjustified coporate panic move by Nintendo when it's anything but that. If Galaxy was sufficient enough and if the Wii is still a successful console, where exactly is the desperation coming from for Nintendo to release another Mario game? Perhaps they're doing this because it's what they WANT to do, and not what they NEED to do?

Madmangamer364

Bottomline is that the way I see it more marios = less interesting marios, thats what I think and have seen. You make great points as to why they are doing more mario that really dont change what I see going on but I think we have dedicated enough energy to this subject,lol so I'm gonna throw in my hat.

I don't come in these forumns often (maybe for like a week every few months) but your definetly a fresh and intellectual user that I'm not gonna forget and we'll surely talk often!

So untill next time.....

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kenakuma

Umm firstly, nothing sells as much as Mario, nothing..at..all. Not even MW2 managed to outsell it. Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario. So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out? That...makes.... no sense. Never ever should one worry about quality in a Mario title as Nintendo sure as hell won't mess that one up. I'm quite sure that Nintendo is confident, more so that any other company right now. Releasing SMG2 doesn't prove that they aren't confident; its just giving fans more of what they want.Shottayouth13-

"So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out?"

Its quite simple, the team behind SMG for the most part will be behind the next gen mario game. By that team being distracted by SMG2 their losing both time and money that could go into their next mario project.

People always want mario, they always have. Does that mean Nnty should rely on mario and nothing else? definetly not (not that that is what you are saying) so lets see some new ips as well as old ones get revived in place of a direct sequel mario plaformer! I'm sure if you asked a gamer after mario 64 what they want more, sm64 2 or starfox 64 they would have gone towards mario, sometimes people don't really know what they want, to say the least.

Exploring new ground as far as games and genres is something Ninty has always been good at, after SMG and NSMBW I'd say they have mario covered for a while, lets see something else new and creative produced with all their newfound resources.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shottayouth13-

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]Umm firstly, nothing sells as much as Mario, nothing..at..all. Not even MW2 managed to outsell it. Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario. So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out? That...makes.... no sense. Never ever should one worry about quality in a Mario title as Nintendo sure as hell won't mess that one up. I'm quite sure that Nintendo is confident, more so that any other company right now. Releasing SMG2 doesn't prove that they aren't confident; its just giving fans more of what they want.kenakuma

"So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out?"

Its quite simple, the team behind SMG for the most part will be behind the next gen mario game. By that team being distracted by SMG2 their losing both time and money that could go into their next mario project.

People always want mario, they always have. Does that mean Nnty should rely on mario and nothing else? definetly not (not that that is what you are saying) so lets see some new ips as well as old ones get revived in place of a direct sequel mario plaformer! I'm sure if you asked a gamer after mario 64 what they want more, sm64 2 or starfox 64 they would have gone towards mario, sometimes people don't really know what they want, to say the least.

Exploring new ground as far as games and genres is something Ninty has always been good at, after SMG and NSMBW I'd say they have mario covered for a while, lets see something else new and creative produced with all their newfound resources.

As I said, never worry about quality with a Nintendo game. They aren't afraid of delaying it until its up to to standards. Its Ninty, just don't worry about quality. There are new Ips(Endless Ocean, Dynamic Slash, Wii series) as well as old ones being revived(Sin and Punishment 2, Punchout!!). And who knows what Nintendo will announce for the Wii at E3(Apart from Zelda, which is a given). They have 6 months to do whatever the hell they want concerning releases. Plus there are a lot of hidden projects out there(The Retro Studios project, Project Sora). Nintendo will give you what you want, you just have to wait and stop complaining.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]Umm firstly, nothing sells as much as Mario, nothing..at..all. Not even MW2 managed to outsell it. Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario. So who's to say that the next gen Mario game won't be as good as SMG just because SMG2 is coming out? That...makes.... no sense. Never ever should one worry about quality in a Mario title as Nintendo sure as hell won't mess that one up. I'm quite sure that Nintendo is confident, more so that any other company right now. Releasing SMG2 doesn't prove that they aren't confident; its just giving fans more of what they want.Shottayouth13-

As I said, never worry about quality with a Nintendo game. They aren't afraid of delaying it until its up to to standards. Its Ninty, just don't worry about quality. There are new Ips(Endless Ocean, Dynamic Slash, Wii series) as well as old ones being revived(Sin and Punishment 2, Punchout!!). And who knows what Nintendo will announce for the Wii at E3(Apart from Zelda, which is a given). They have 6 months to do whatever the hell they want concerning releases. Plus there are a lot of hidden projects out there(The Retro Studios project, Project Sora). Nintendo will give you what you want, you just have to wait and stop complaining.

pokemon

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shottayouth13-
What? Is that a rebuttal to my quality argument? If so, there's nothing wrong with the quality in Pokemon. Its just Nintendo giving fans what they want; more of the same.