New Nintendo DS detailed somewhat by Iwata

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

www.kotaku.com/5331242/report-new-zelda-out-by-end-of-2010-first-ds-successor-details

Odd that Iwata would confirm it this soon, they may not expand on DSi only software as much as i thought if they pursue a new handheld in late 2010 or 2011

But will it still have cameras? it will definetly have to support DSiWare so it very well may be a DSi2 not a DS2, (though they won't go with a number IMO)

DSiEvolved?

Iwata says it will use motion sensors (which means Tilt like on the iPhone and pretty much every respectable pocket device these days) and will support higher resolutions

that doesn't mean HD like on your TV

though the rumors are it will use Tegra which can output 720p/1080p, they'll have two screens to power

More likely it just won't be 256x192, and more like 480x272, which would look rather dated by 201,...oh thats dated today by a lot of standards on some cell phones actually

so, you DSi adopters ready for a new handheld sooner than thought?

How about you DS/DS Lite owners? is 6 years enough for you?

By the way, the lowest Tegra supports 720p Video (something the Wii doesn't) and has 600Mhz CPU and a 200Mhz GPU (meaning its pretty much near the Wii in terms of GPU/CPU power it still falls short but pretty close) and rumor has it Nvidia is prepping Tegra 2 for this DS, a new version of the famous system on a chip (which is very easy to program for apparently, something nintendo loves!)

BTW no this isn't the handheld Nintendo said they canned in Spring 2009, that was the DSi XL. Nintendo has said they originally wanted to launch XL and DSi at the same time, but couldn't

I imagine they canned XL for a while, but they decided to revive it as, well its just a bigger DSi and look at its JP sales!

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4240 Posts

So will it kind of work like a Wii, with the motion controls and stuff? I must say I don't like that idea. I like the DS Lite button configurations. Can you clarify about that? Thank you.

gary_safc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 gary_safc
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts

I cant wait for the new ds to come out. we might even see a re release of some classic gamecube games on this. like we did with the origional ds. (mario 64, diddy kong racing ect..

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Man...I was gonna get my FIRST DS in a few months (DSi XL), but am wondering now if I should wait for this...

kikitube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 kikitube
Member since 2009 • 576 Posts
I don't need a new DS.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
he just pointed out the obvious: gotta have at least what the competition already has if you wanna stay alive. simple (but accurate) motion like the iPhone and better graphics (which i'm pretty sure that was confirmed before). doesn't make it''s possible release any sooner. what i really liked, though, is "zelda is coming out in 2010". means that, even if it gets delayed, we'll be seeing tons of stuff on E3 and later :D
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

So will it kind of work like a Wii, with the motion controls and stuff? I must say I don't like that idea. I like the DS Lite button configurations. Can you clarify about that? Thank you.

outworld222

its tilt motion like think of ipod touch and u are holding the device normaly like a ds and lets say ur playing mario kart ds 2 and u have the option to tilt the ds left and right to stear similar to mario kart on wii when holding wiimote sideways. or super monkey ball to move the ball around u tilt the ds in the angle u want it to go. i guess better example of that on wii was in super mario galaxy when u jump atop one of those balls and u have to tilt the wii remote.

this is whoa for me lol i was prepring myself for dsi xl but with news of a new handheld this early ? it will be out by fall in japan no doubt it could even be a worldwide release since nintendo is keeping hardware sales close to a few days apart now. we will definatly see the final product by e3 this year.

actually i dont think it will be called dsi it is the ds succesor and the dsi is just another variation of the ds as nintendo says it so it was just a filler console with extra features. it will host a new name entirely. since tegra 2 is way more powerful than the dsi lol.

tegra is a beast of a chip lol i played project gotham racing ferrari on zune hd with it and i was blown away for a handheld. and if they pop a tegra 2 in that is beast.

where is that guy that said i was wrong in a previous thread about the new handheld using new tegra lol i guess i will pass on dsi xl and just wait for the new handheld. my ds lite has served its 4 year purpose well.

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
I'm not interested in a new one. Not only did I just get my DS Lite towards the end of 2009, and have a lot of gaming to do for it (including bother DS and GBA games), but in general, I'm just not planning on getting any future systems. I'm planning on sticking with what is out right now. I did have a feeling that the next handheld would have a motion sensor, since they have experimented with that idea before, with games like Kirby Tilt & Tumble and WarioWare: Twisted. If there's one regret for me not getting this system, it's that I won't really get to experience that idea be put to use in more games. It seems like a nice extension to the touch screen.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darth-pyschosis

What a new DS has to have (for me)

Two Multi-Touch Screens that are still conceal-able (like shutting, flipable, swival)

Wireless N or 3G (iwata confirmed NO 3G)

Mic, Accelorameter for tilt (which isn't just for gaming, it also changes how you view pictures, movies, and browse web on the device)

eBook support

3.5 inch screens at least at 480x320 at least

Great Battery Life (Tegra can deliver that!)

SDHC card slot of MicroSD slot to make it smaller

no bigger than the current DSi (not DSi XL size)

And plz Nintendo, don't gimp it with pathetic 10 year old hardware, give it at least hardware that would be nice and near cutting edge in 2009, in 2010 or 2011

dstv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dstv
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts

Nintendo is just trying to steal your hard earned money....just keep your old ds and forget about ever buying a new one...i mean look at the time space between the release of the dsi and the xl

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
I don't think they'll release a new handheld until 2012, which is when I think they'll also announce a successor to the Wii.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I don't think it is just a new DS. This is going to be playing different games. I told you all the DS was dying. It may keep the "DS' name but it will be different trust me

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darth-pyschosis

I don't think they'll release a new handheld until 2012, which is when I think they'll also announce a successor to the Wii.SoraX64

rumor has they've already ordered the Nvidia Tegras for this DS, so its theoritically one year away maybe

Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

And here I was ready to put some cash on a new DSi... I think I'll just wait until a real successor to the DS gets released.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Man...I was gonna get my FIRST DS in a few months (DSi XL), but am wondering now if I should wait for this...

Foxh0und666

Yeah it's probably better to wait and see if the new DS will play all the DS games out now. We still dont know anything about what kind of media it will use since he said it would have good visuals.

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#16 Wrecked69
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
I want a completely new handheld, not another rehashed DS
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#17 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am more than ready for a next gen Nintendo handheld. The DS has been great, but it is time for a new system to replace it. :)

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darth-pyschosis

I want a completely new handheld, not another rehashed DSWrecked69

thats what this is

higher resolution?

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#19 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

I would like this since I heard Kirby Tilt and Tumble and Warioware Twisted were great games, but HD, hm......just don't make the price and battery life that bad and I'll be fine with it.

Also I hope we don't see this until winter 2011 at least, seems too early.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis

I would like this since I heard Kirby Tilt and Tumble and Warioware Twisted were great games, but HD, hm......just don't make the price and battery life that bad and I'll be fine with it.

Shy_Guy_Red

He never said High Defintion

He said it would be a higher resolution

meaning it will be higher than 256x192

it could still be 320x240 (worse than PSP and iPhone) and he'd still be telling the truth

IronstaunchB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IronstaunchB
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

I hope they call it the Super NDS. It'll be the rebirth of my favourite console but with graphics close to a Wii 8)

And all those people that voted no, why is that? Do you really want the DS to stay at its current level? Don't you want a new system with new ways to interact with games, better online (crosses fingers) and better graphics?

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

So, now we can scribble wildly on the screen, scream into the mic, take pictures and shake the system like we're having a seisure. Sounds fun. :roll:

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Will I be able to play my GBA games? No? OK, still not interested.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darth-pyschosis

ston3henge

its two generations behind

should the Wii have an nintendo 64 slot?

its a near 6 year old console, its time to give up

putting the GBA slot in it would be silly, it needs only a new game slot and a DS game slot

gba through downloads? yes

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wrecked69

[QUOTE="Wrecked69"]I want a completely new handheld, not another rehashed DSdarth-pyschosis

thats what this is

higher resolution?

We'll see. They seem to like changing their minds.
TheTrystero024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheTrystero024
Member since 2006 • 567 Posts
I just bought my DSi a couple of days ago.................Noooooooooooo!
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="Wrecked69"]I want a completely new handheld, not another rehashed DSWrecked69

thats what this is

higher resolution?

What don't you get?

"it will be higher resolution"

If its higher resolution, it needs more advanced hardware to produce higher resolutions, new screens entirely (or new Screen)

Iwata is talking about a new handheld altogether

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wrecked69

[QUOTE="Wrecked69"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

thats what this is

higher resolution?

darth-pyschosis

What don't you get?

"it will be higher resolution"

If its higher resolution, it needs more advanced hardware to produce higher resolutions, new screens entirely (or new Screen)

Iwata is talking about a new handheld altogether

I couldn't access the article from that link you provided in your original post. I was just going off the few statements you paraphrased. You also seemed to mention rumors which I'm not interested in believing. Ill try to find the page myself for more details. If it will be an entirely evolved handheld console I would be pleased. We've had enough DS side-grade consoles.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#29 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

ston3henge

1. GBA is the past...like Darth said, you want a current-gen system to be compatible with games from what would be two gens previous to that? I don't think so.

2. If you're so set on playing GBA games, pick up a GBA SP for under 50$ and use that. It's what I do...

PhilipV94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PhilipV94
Member since 2009 • 128 Posts

Why can't they include a GBA slot? It's not like the DSi is any thinner than the DS Lite yet they removed the GBA slot. And while it may be 2 gens behind, you can't deny how good some of the games are. PS3 supports PS1 games, two generations behind.

And to answer the poll, no I don't want a new DS. The DSi was just release and the DSi XL is going to be released soon. It's enough for a while.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Why can't they include a GBA slot? It's not like the DSi is any thinner than the DS Lite yet they removed the GBA slot. And while it may be 2 gens behind, you can't deny how good some of the games are. PS3 supports PS1 games, two generations behind.

And to answer the poll, no I don't want a new DS. The DSi was just release and the DSi XL is going to be released soon. It's enough for a while.

PhilipV94

GBA games may be "two generations behind", but that doesn't render them inert... and yes, I'm serious about that being a function I desire. I have the iD Software games and I refuse to let them go. Sorry my "old stuff" doesn't meet with your progressive views of what a Nintendo portable should be able to do. Removal of the GBA slot was a bad choice as far as I'm concerned. I would buy a DS Lite for my nephew if I could find one with GBA capacity because that's all he plays, is GBA games (on a GBA - GASP! What a POOR kid! Playing that OLD Mario title that couldn't possibly be fun because it's ancient history).

At this stage of the game in gaming, backwards compatibility is really an important issue, because if you're going ot have fun issuing a slightly different flavor of hardware every six to ten months then you had best make it FLEXIBLE. DSi games and DL content for same is not going to get me to buy new hardware when I have GBA games and DS games which I still enjoy. So what? Do I throw them all away or sell them at bargain basement prices on eBay? Do I tell my nephew who's father has been struggleing to keep a job over the last year that he has to upgrade everything just to keep gaming? I don't think so...

PhilipV94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PhilipV94

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

ston3henge

GBA games may be "two generations behind", but that doesn't render them inert... and yes, I'm serious about that being a function I desire. I have the iD Software games and I refuse to let them go. Sorry my "old stuff" doesn't meet with your progressive views of what a Nintendo portable should be able to do. Removal of the GBA slot was a bad choice as far as I'm concerned. I would buy a DS Lite for my nephew if I could find one with GBA capacity because that's all he plays, is GBA games (on a GBA - GASP! What a POOR kid! Playing that OLD Mario title that couldn't possibly be fun because it's ancient history).

At this stage of the game in gaming, backwards compatibility is really an important issue, because if you're going ot have fun issuing a slightly different flavor of hardware every six to ten months then you had best make it FLEXIBLE. DSi games and DL content for same is not going to get me to buy new hardware when I have GBA games and DS games which I still enjoy. So what? Do I throw them all away or sell them at bargain basement prices on eBay? Do I tell my nephew who's father has been struggleing to keep a job over the last year that he has to upgrade everything just to keep gaming? I don't think so...

Uhm. I was agreeing with you by the way. :P. Also, a DS Lite does have a GBA slot, the DSi doesn't.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darth-pyschosis

PhilipV94

They don't need GBA coz that slot could be better suited for other functions, SDHC slots, more RAM sticks (like lets say the new DS has 256MB Mobile RAM, Nintendo could keep costs down potentially if four 64MB RAM sticks cost less than one 256MB but it would take up more space)

also, don't tell me this new DS couldn't have 256MB ram, it very well could and should if it uses Tegra (and the iPhone, iPod Touch, Zune HD, most smartphones have it)

Afterall guys, the Tegra 2 that was rumored to be in this nex gen DS, was just announced to power many Tablet/Slate PCs this year, it'd be awesome if it was in the DS2

theres no reason to have a GBA slot when nintendo could make PROFIT by selling them as downloads for like, $5 each.

those $5 would be all profit for them basically

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmmm well forget about getting a DSi then >_>

I'm not going to buy a new one every 2 years.

PhilipV94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PhilipV94

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

darth-pyschosis

They don't need GBA coz that slot could be better suited for other functions, SDHC slots, more RAM sticks (like lets say the new DS has 256MB Mobile RAM, Nintendo could keep costs down potentially if four 64MB RAM sticks cost less than one 256MB but it would take up more space)

also, don't tell me this new DS couldn't have 256MB ram, it very well could and should if it uses Tegra (and the iPhone, iPod Touch, Zune HD, most smartphones have it)

Afterall guys, the Tegra 2 that was rumored to be in this nex gen DS, was just announced to power many Tablet/Slate PCs this year, it'd be awesome if it was in the DS2

theres no reason to have a GBA slot when nintendo could make PROFIT by selling them as downloads for like, $5 each.

Okay, sure, the space could be better suited, but they DIDN'T use that space for anything worth while. Now, if it was thinner, I'd understand, but it wasn't, it's virtually the same exact thickness. And while yes, they would profit from $5 each, I know many people who would of bought a DSi if it had a GBA slot. You're telling me they'd profit more from $5 downloads (when many older games own most of these games and won't bother to rebuy them, and current gen games won't buy them because they're outdated graphics) then from a lot of people paying $150 - $200 for the bigger screen and more RAM? Also, only one device currently on the market uses Tegra, and that is the Zune HD. (Proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

darth-pyschosis

its two generations behind

should the Wii have an nintendo 64 slot?

its a near 6 year old console, its time to give up

putting the GBA slot in it would be silly, it needs only a new game slot and a DS game slot

gba through downloads? yes

loved your answer :lol: but yea, no need for a GBA slot, at least not to use for GBA games... i mean, a second slot to plug-in attachments such as the weird guitar from GH or whatever they think of, like the slot on the N64. but i doubt it'll happen, and don't really want it
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

PhilipV94

Okay, sure, the space could be better suited, but they DIDN'T use that space for anything worth while. Now, if it was thinner, I'd understand, but it wasn't, it's virtually the same exact thickness. And while yes, they would profit from $5 each, I know many people who would of bought a DSi if it had a GBA slot. You're telling me they'd profit more from $5 downloads (when many older games own most of these games and won't bother to rebuy them, and current gen games won't buy them because they're outdated graphics) then from a lot of people paying $150 - $200 for the bigger screen and more RAM? Also, only one device currently on the market uses Tegra, and that is the Zune HD. (Proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra)

Have you not seen the array of Tablet PCs with Tegra 2 coming out of CES?

And no, no more ppl would buy a DSi if it had a GBA slot

Why?

Coz people ALREADY BUY more DSi's than DS lites!

People don't care about GBA, a large portion of gamers don't care about GBA anymore, they want the stellar DS library when they buy a DS Lite or DSi

the GBA slot was only there incase the DS flopped

furthermore, you know the Web for DS Lite needed a 10MB RAM expansion in the GBA SLOT?

more proof of good reasons why to get rid of GBA slot, Nintendo might have put two 8MB sticks, or four 4MB sticks instead of on e 16MB stick in the DSi where the GBA slot would be

the extra RAM makes it able to use the camera to change gameplay, and makes web browsing and other features much better

PhilipV94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PhilipV94

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

darth-pyschosis

Why?

People don't care about GBA, a large portion of gamers don't care about GBA anymore, they want the stellar DS library when they buy a DS Lite or DSi

furthermore, you know the Web for DS Lite needed a 10MB RAM expansion in the GBA SLOT?

more proof of good reasons why to get rid of GBA slot, Nintendo might have put two 8MB sticks, or four 4MB sticks instead of on e 16MB stick in the DSi where the GBA slot would be

the extra RAM makes it able to use the camera to change gameplay, and makes web browsing and other features much better

Have you not seen that the only product currently using Tegra is the Zune HD? Not the iPhone, iPod Touch, or any other products currently being sold. And yes more people would buy a DSi if had the same specs with the GBA slot. What DISADVANTAGE does the GBA slot bring? And the GBA slot wasn't their incase the DS flopped because they included it in the DS Lite, when the original DS was already succesful. And I don't understand what you're saying after that.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

I would like to see this next DS or whatever come out...but in like 2 years when my DSi is worn out lol.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ACL0V3R

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

darth-pyschosis

Why?

My god...they DIDNT put the gba slot in there incase the DS flopped, they put it in there for backwards compatability. I lol'd when I read that lol. Next, people DO care about GBA games, why do you think DS Lites still sell? Why do you think I still have my DS Phat?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="PhilipV94"]

ACL0V3R

Why?

My god...they DIDNT put the gba slot in there incase the DS flopped, they put it in there for backwards compatability. I lol'd when I read that lol. Next, people DO care about GBA games, why do you think DS Lites still sell? Why do you think I still have my DS Phat?

If people still cared about the GBA slot the DSi wouldn't outsell the Lite by 2x in NA, and by 8x in JP

They put the GBA slot in DS in case the DS idea flopped they could keep making GBA games

Heck, you realise they didn't put a GB, GBC slot in the GBA? they intentionally made the slot the same for all consoles but with DS it needs to be smaller since Solid State Memory could be made that small onto a DS card

They kept the GBA slot in the Lite due to accessories and the fact that GBA games were still coming out

And how do you not get the other stuff i said (not the last poster the one before you)

You said they didn't add anything worthwhile in place of where the GBA slot was

Wrong, coz on the DS Lite you had to insert a RAM expansion into the GBA slot in order for it to use the internet. It couldn't handle it without that expansion

The extra RAM sticks in the DSi to bring its total up to 16MB are likely where the GBA slot would be. Just like the GBA slot Web adaptor which contained 10MB of expansion RAM

The GBA slot isn't there because they couldn't put it there and the expanded system RAM in the same place evidentally, and without the expanded system RAM the handheld couldn't read movements through the camera, and couldn't do web processing as well and fast as it does (even if its still slow)

If you think DSi internet is slow on 16MB RAM, try it on the DS Lites 4MB. (not that you can)

Hence, I believe thats a good enough thing to replace the GBA slot, that and the SDHC slot

I played all the GBA games i wanted during its lifetime and end of it, i don't need it anymore

GBAs are so very cheap, i don't see why we need anymore and i look forward to one day being able to download GBA games onto a Nintendo handheld BUT actually have the multiplayer back if they add online to some of them (which they probably wouldn't, maybe just local WiFi)

Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

i think this should, and could, spark the next gen. of Nintendo Handhelds. Gameboy then DS and we are about to get a new DS but it mite be so groundbreaking that the name should be changed.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 darth-pyschosis

i think this should, and could, spark the next gen. of Nintendo Handhelds. Gameboy then DS and we are about to get a new DS but it mite be so groundbreaking that the name should be changed.

Noskillkill

i don't thnk so

DS doesn't mean Dual Screen per say, it means Developers' System

So they could have a single screen DS nex gen

the DS name is too strong

its like Apple calling the ipod touch something not iPod next year

Nintendo feared the "adult" aimed PSP might get a larger expanded audience outside of gamers just like the PS1/PS2 did

Though GameBoy sold 100s millions before, it didn't sell to as expanded as an audience as the DS has, or the PS1.

It sold to a lot of Gamers, and sold a lot to ppl buying their second or third GB due to new releases, losing the GB over the years, various reasons so ppl bought multiple GameBoy also due to colors and redesigns

The GBA sold well too, but not as well as the GB (didn't GB sell 100 million+? GBA sold 80 million which is still good)

A brand title called GameBoy kinda gives a negative "kiddy" image to some non-gamers of your product, and nintendo clearly wanted to expand those who play games beyond those who desire Zelda, Mario Bros, Metroid, which is the whole theme of the DS platform and subsequent Nintendo titles like Brain Age, Nintendogs

Besides, do you really want the words Game Boy, and Touch so close to each other in your handhelds title?

(Get it? GameBoy Touch! or Touch Boy Game!)

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#44 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

[QUOTE="Shy_Guy_Red"]

darth-pyschosis

He never said High Defintion

He said it would be a higher resolution

meaning it will be higher than 256x192

it could still be 320x240 (worse than PSP and iPhone) and he'd still be telling the truth

Ah, I see, thanks, should've read the article closer.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ACL0V3R

[QUOTE="ACL0V3R"]

Why?

darth-pyschosis

If people still cared about the GBA slot the DSi wouldn't outsell the Lite by 2x in NA, and by 8x in JP

They put the GBA slot in DS in case the DS idea flopped they could keep making GBA games

Heck, you realise they didn't put a GB, GBC slot in the GBA? they intentionally made the slot the same for all consoles but with DS it needs to be smaller since Solid State Memory could be made that small onto a DS card

They kept the GBA slot in the Lite due to accessories and the fact that GBA games were still coming out

And how do you not get the other stuff i said (not the last poster the one before you)

Wrong, coz on the DS Lite you had to insert a RAM expansion into the GBA slot in order for it to use the internet. It couldn't handle it without that expansion

The extra RAM sticks in the DSi to bring its total up to 16MB are likely where the GBA slot would be. Just like the GBA slot Web adaptor which contained 10MB of expansion RAM

The GBA slot isn't there because they couldn't put it there and the expanded system RAM in the same place evidentally, and without the expanded system RAM the handheld couldn't read movements through the camera, and couldn't do web processing as well and fast as it does (even if its still slow)

If you think DSi internet is slow on 16MB RAM, try it on the DS Lites 4MB. (not that you can)

Hence, I believe thats a good enough thing to replace the GBA slot, that and the SDHC slot

I played all the GBA games i wanted during its lifetime and end of it, i don't need it anymore

GBAs are so very cheap, i don't see why we need anymore and i look forward to one day being able to download GBA games onto a Nintendo handheld BUT actually have the multiplayer back if they add online to some of them (which they probably wouldn't, maybe just local WiFi)

Ok Nintendo not caring about the GBA slot and the DSi outselling the DSL are in no way related... Oh btw can you show me where it says that the DSi outsold DSLs, just wanna make sure. I am still sure they did not put the GBA slot there incase the system flopped, eventually it would come out with better games, no one buys a new system so they can only play last gen games on it when there is a new slot for new games.

IronstaunchB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IronstaunchB
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

These threads seem to be popping up quite a lot lately. Is it time for an official info/speculation thread?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="ACL0V3R"]

ACL0V3R

Ok Nintendo not caring about the GBA slot and the DSi outselling the DSL are in no way related... Oh btw can you show me where it says that the DSi outsold DSLs, just wanna make sure. I am still sure they did not put the GBA slot there incase the system flopped, eventually it would come out with better games, no one buys a new system so they can only play last gen games on it when there is a new slot for new games.

i'm using Chrome so i can't link now but google it

DSi has been outselling DS lite since it came out

outsold DS Lite 4 to 1 early on now it seems 2 to 1 in North America

in Japan its 60k per week for DSi usually, 60k separate for DSi LL, and 8k-15k for Lite

crispyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 crispyo
Member since 2005 • 1801 Posts
I'm all for a next gen DS. We've had enough DS upgrades (lite, dsi, XL), it's time to bring out a new generation. My ds lite is falling apart, and i'm not going to shell out another couple hundreds bucks on the same console for a THIRD time. Of course assuming it'd be able to play old ds games, I hope so.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
If it's the next DS, and not just a current DS enhancement, then I'll be interested. DS is quite old, people seem to forget that.