Miyamoto calls out to 3rd parties (stop making crappy games).

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

read the interview here       http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=549476

He says that 3rd party developers who are afraid to compete with Nintendo's software should assign development to the best teams they have if they want to compete. 

Will we see more 3rd party games that are good on the Wii in the future?

emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

It Would be nice to have good 3rd party games on the Wii, but its too difficult, in my opinion... the attraction of Nintendo systems is that all of the games, call them kiddy if you like, but are very entertaing and everlasting, and most of the 3rd party games dont, well is my opinion... and we dont see this on the PS systems because all the games are 3rd partys, and there's no comparision, altought if sony start to develop games it would suck, they can do a system right, imagine the games, lol, just kidding....
but back to your point, that is my opinion, the best games on every Nintendo console...are from Nintendo, it doesnt matter if the developer is other like Hudson, the idea and feeling is right from Nintendo.
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

It Would be nice to have good 3rd party games on the Wii, but its too difficult, in my opinion... the attraction of Nintendo systems is that all of the games, call them kiddy if you like, but are very entertaing and everlasting, and most of the 3rd party games dont, well is my opinion... and we dont see this on the PS systems because all the games are 3rd partys, and there's no comparision, altought if sony start to develop games it would suck, they can do a system right, imagine the games, lol, just kidding....
but back to your point, that is my opinion, the best games on every Nintendo console...are from Nintendo, it doesnt matter if the developer is other like Hudson, the idea and feeling is right from Nintendo.
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..emilioacosta
I love Wii Sports, I even think its the best game on Wii but I'd rather have something of Halo's calibre. Its not about how much quirky crazy whoopy doo fun you can have other people, its not about anything, just good games. But I see what you're getting at.
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts

Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..emilioacosta
err sony do develop their own games. Never heard of God of War or Rachet & Clank?, Resitances? theres more than that. Miyamoto is right they need to take ninty full on. whats silly is the self fulling profficy(spell?) which is 3rd party game on the wii. Devs push out medicoa games and get medicoa sales and then think it isnt worth developing on the wii.
greenleaflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 greenleaflink
Member since 2006 • 3686 Posts
MEDAL OF HONOR. SSX. GODFATHER. RAYMAN ULTIMATE ALLIANCE. all those games are on other systems, they are selling based on their reputation....there are a ton of medal of honors, they use the same forumla over and over, and expect that to beat out a Warioware or Super Paper Mario out of all the Wii titles, 3rd party, Elebits, Metal Slug, Godfather are the only three i want i have rayman, which is exceptionally fun, but unpolished. 3rd party need to step it up and stop moaning. thats why Capcom and Konami are the best.
hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

The way I see it, Wii needs good 3rd party games if it is going to compete, otherwise, it will go down the drain. I purchased a GameCube on launch and found out that it isn't worth it to get a console only based on Nintendo games, the droughts were just horrible. While the Wii won't have a literal drought l, it will have a drought in good games if the situation keeps up.

Either good 3rd party games, or Nintendo should expand their development teams to the degree we don't need 3rd party support. I hope good 3rd party support is coming though because variety is good. 

3rd party games I'm exited about: Nights, No more Heroes, RE Umbrella Chronicles, Manhunt 2

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..Lanfeix
err sony do develop their own games. Never heard of God of War or Rachet & Clank?, Resitances? theres more than that. Miyamoto is right they need to take ninty full on. whats silly is the self fulling profficy(spell?) which is 3rd party game on the wii. Devs push out medicoa games and get medicoa sales and then think it isnt worth developing on the wii.

Rachet and clank? Sony didnt make that game, it was made by "insomniac" the same guys that made the spyro the dragon series
SkatergirlXT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SkatergirlXT
Member since 2003 • 100 Posts
Everyday we are hearing about more and more "Good" 3rd party games coming out for the Wii. (Nights...anyone?). I think the games will get better with time. The developers can't argue w/ the numbers, Wii is taking over.
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts

I dont agree with that. I had a blast online with Halo 2 and Halo CE, especially with my friends online, making clans and whatnot...until the little kids started pooring in...but other than that, I love Halo. I would take it over Mario anyday, but I need both to keep me satisfyed. And that is the key, having every type of game. Games that this group or that group will like, not just emilioacosta...I dont really like Wii Sports or Wii Play that much...I like games with depth and a good story.

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jfkunrendered

Everyday we are hearing about more and more "Good" 3rd party games coming out for the Wii. (Nights...anyone?). I think the games will get better with time. The developers can't argue w/ the numbers, Wii is taking over.SkatergirlXT

True, it can only get better. The 360 is a perfect example, it had some crappy games at launch, but now it has some killer games. 

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
It's going to take time, but I think this message refers to Western Developers mainly. For example, I can't name a good DS game developed by a Western Company, and here is a similar pattern forming on the Wii currently. Such companies try to make an easy buck, regardless of the quality of their games. If they actually tried to make a decent Wii game, they probably could. But that doesn't seem to be their main focus...
Lady_Sekhmet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Lady_Sekhmet
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts

[QUOTE="SkatergirlXT"]Everyday we are hearing about more and more "Good" 3rd party games coming out for the Wii. (Nights...anyone?). I think the games will get better with time. The developers can't argue w/ the numbers, Wii is taking over.jfkunrendered

True, it can only get better. The 360 is a perfect example, it had some crappy games at launch, but now it has some killer games.

I agree! I wonder if some of the developers were focusing on PS3 because they "heard" the hardware is awesome, so they focused on developing a game for the PS3 or X360, not fully realizing that the Wii surpassed the sales of PS3. Then NOW, they realized they should develop games for the Wii...and it takes a year, even 2 years to really develop a game to the full capability of the Wii. I heard around that developers didn't get their kits until much later, so they're developing games now as we speak. I love my Wii, and I have patience to wait for the great games to come out and for the earlier games to drop their prices. I will only possess a PS3 if someone gives it to me. I refuse to buy it for certain reason, even though I'm a big fan of Playstation. All I can say is...It's COMING. If a year from now, there's no powerful 3rd party games out there, I will eat Yoshi eggs for breakfast everyday.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts
i agree with him. alot of people see the crap 3rd party games as a weakness of the wii itself. imho it says alot more about 3rd party devs and their lack of imagination. nintendo have given them examples of games that will appeal to different types of gamers, from nintendogs to brain age to zelda tp. and yet they cant even replicate the sense of fun and engagemant these games give, never mind improve on it. frankly they should be hanging their heads in shame at the moment. im not saying all 3rd party games are bad. red steel had problems but it was quite enjoyable to play. its main problem was that it was rushed for launch imho. rayman was also quite enjoyable. as is COD3. i recently picked up heatseeker for the wii and its a blast. so theres good stuff out there. but theres also an awful lot of crap. quick and dirty ports with badly thought out and implemented controls. wii wont dazzle with graphics and special effects so a bad game is going to be a real stinker on the wii. gameplay has to be well thought out. controls have to be spot on and theres no excuse why they shouldnt be considering the relative ease of creating content for the wii. above all else, the game has to be great. mediocore with shiny graphics wont cut it on the wii. i saw in a mag there that 60% of wii game sales are actually 3rd party games. thats not to shabby at all. however devs and publishers better get their act together or they could miss a very profitable boat.
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts

[QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..jfkunrendered

I dont agree with that. I had a blast online with Halo 2 and Halo CE, especially with my friends online, making clans and whatnot...until the little kids started pooring in...but other than that, I love Halo. I would take it over Mario anyday, but I need both to keep me satisfyed. And that is the key, having every type of game. Games that this group or that group will like, not just emilioacosta...I dont really like Wii Sports or Wii Play that much...I like games with depth and a good story.

i love you

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jfkunrendered
[QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]

[QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..distrbdslipsoad

i love you

sarcasm? 

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
He's not saying that companies should stop making bad games he's telling other companies they should jump aboard to make games for the Wii and not be afraid to compete with Nintendo titles.
vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
I'm willing to wait, the console is still new yet I think it's already doing great, but it will get even better. Wait till Capcom and Square Enix releases their games, I've rarely disapointed by their products. Hey! even Crystal Chronicle was enjoyable for me. Wii will own them all :D
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts
[QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]

[QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..jfkunrendered

i love you

sarcasm?

do you honestly think i want a head on relationship? course im kidding, dude :P but i agree with most of your points. sure, i would rather take a mario game any day over a halo entry, but i think its absolutely nessessary that nintendo and other devs out there realize that people need both. i think you'll see such titles after people really get past that launch window and start utilizing the wii's unique control scheme.   

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="osan0"]i agree with him. alot of people see the crap 3rd party games as a weakness of the wii itself. imho it says alot more about 3rd party devs and their lack of imagination. nintendo have given them examples of games that will appeal to different types of gamers, from nintendogs to brain age to zelda tp. and yet they cant even replicate the sense of fun and engagemant these games give, never mind improve on it. frankly they should be hanging their heads in shame at the moment. im not saying all 3rd party games are bad. red steel had problems but it was quite enjoyable to play. its main problem was that it was rushed for launch imho. rayman was also quite enjoyable. as is COD3. i recently picked up heatseeker for the wii and its a blast. so theres good stuff out there. but theres also an awful lot of crap. quick and dirty ports with badly thought out and implemented controls. wii wont dazzle with graphics and special effects so a bad game is going to be a real stinker on the wii. gameplay has to be well thought out. controls have to be spot on and theres no excuse why they shouldnt be considering the relative ease of creating content for the wii. above all else, the game has to be great. mediocore with shiny graphics wont cut it on the wii. i saw in a mag there that 60% of wii game sales are actually 3rd party games. thats not to shabby at all. however devs and publishers better get their act together or they could miss a very profitable boat.

Good post, but is heatseeker isn't even out yet, so I dont think you have that. But yeah its up to 3rd party to step it up on Wii development, they dont have to revolutionize the genre with every game, but they just need to make strong games that appeal to people. However Wii fans need to be willing to give 3rd party devs a chance, they dont have to have new ideas for every game, and every game doesnt have to be an exclusive to be good. People are way to quick to put down a game simply because its not an exclusive or something like that. one reason devs are probaly dont go all out because they fear taking a risk because Wii fans can be a little overly tough sometimes.
Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Staccat0
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts
Developers who say that only Nintendo games do well on Nintendo systems are only half-correct. Nintendo fans ARE more likely to be attracted to Nintendo games. This is probably because history has shown Nintendo to be the best developers of all time. In recent years they have been over shadowed, but historically they are consistently exellent and important. Unfortunately, since the N64, 3rd parties have shoveled Nintendo crap and made consumers cautious, but RE4 proves that there is room for 3rd party support. Nintendo needs to work together with developers and try to regain the confidence of the hardcore gamer. Why don't 3rd parties realize that success can be had by putting a consolidated effort into games Nintendo would never make. How about a great turn based RPG? They are huge in Japan and Nintendo is known for lacking them. Super Paper Mario is a platformer and the new Fire Emblem doesn't have anything "Wii" about it. There is money just sitting on the table. Why won't a developer just take it?
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
OMG he talks too much :lol:
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lanfeix
[QUOTE="Lanfeix"][QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..creativeminded

Rachet and clank? Sony didnt make that game, it was made by "insomniac" the same guys that made the spyro the dragon series

insomniac are second party
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lanfeix
[QUOTE="creativeminded"][QUOTE="Lanfeix"][QUOTE="emilioacosta"]
Just this night, i was playing wii sports and wiiplay with a bunch of friends and we have laughs and screams and everything... that you cant found playing Halo online or that kind of nerdy games, and that is the key... is hardly found a 3rd party game, that is fun, unique and everlasting..Lanfeix

insomniac are second party

argh i press the wrong button. sorry my mistake rachet and clank was just publish by sony. insominac has never developed for any other console buts sonys. I cant remeber what thats called.
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts
Wow, the man sure knows how to talk nice! One of the reasons Miyamoto is so great is that he obviously cares about the gaming community and market as a whole, and not just his own company. Nintendo'll never stop being the best.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="osan0"]i agree with him. alot of people see the crap 3rd party games as a weakness of the wii itself. imho it says alot more about 3rd party devs and their lack of imagination. nintendo have given them examples of games that will appeal to different types of gamers, from nintendogs to brain age to zelda tp. and yet they cant even replicate the sense of fun and engagemant these games give, never mind improve on it. frankly they should be hanging their heads in shame at the moment. im not saying all 3rd party games are bad. red steel had problems but it was quite enjoyable to play. its main problem was that it was rushed for launch imho. rayman was also quite enjoyable. as is COD3. i recently picked up heatseeker for the wii and its a blast. so theres good stuff out there. but theres also an awful lot of crap. quick and dirty ports with badly thought out and implemented controls. wii wont dazzle with graphics and special effects so a bad game is going to be a real stinker on the wii. gameplay has to be well thought out. controls have to be spot on and theres no excuse why they shouldnt be considering the relative ease of creating content for the wii. above all else, the game has to be great. mediocore with shiny graphics wont cut it on the wii. i saw in a mag there that 60% of wii game sales are actually 3rd party games. thats not to shabby at all. however devs and publishers better get their act together or they could miss a very profitable boat.

Good post, but is heatseeker isn't even out yet, so I dont think you have that. But yeah its up to 3rd party to step it up on Wii development, they dont have to revolutionize the genre with every game, but they just need to make strong games that appeal to people. However Wii fans need to be willing to give 3rd party devs a chance, they dont have to have new ideas for every game, and every game doesnt have to be an exclusive to be good. People are way to quick to put down a game simply because its not an exclusive or something like that. one reason devs are probaly dont go all out because they fear taking a risk because Wii fans can be a little overly tough sometimes.

heatseeker was released on friday march 30th in europe. perhaps it hasnt been released in the states yet? (assuming u live in the states).
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Go Miyamoto. Tell those 3rd party devs to stop f******  around and make some good games.
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lanfeix
heat seeker is good but its not that great. it is PS2 port with more effort put in that most. it falls down in several key area's. (i live in england where it is out) 1) they updated the plans and the sky effects, but not the landscape or ground targets. there is only one model for every type of unit so they all look the same. all the tree's are the same friging tree (even in the same orintation) 2) the Veiw, select wepaon , wing man and activate stealth are all on D pad making it a mess. Instead of mapping over the press C button for button combinations you have to press a direction once and then press another. its a mess and i dont understand why when the C buttons not been used. 3) you cant select target with the wii-mote and they realy dont take advantage of it. the rest of the faults with this game are the same as with the PS2 version.
bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#28 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

EA is doing a good job with Wii, surprising as that is. Madden, SSX and The Godfather are all quality products worth buying if you're interested in the games.

I'm also really surprised in Ubisoft's quality decline over the past 6-12 months. I'm more than a little disappointed with their efforts so far.

Companies like Activision and THQ are great to have around because of their respective games' casual and kid appeal (read: decent sales, see cars on GCN), but their products rarely interest me.

I can't wait to see Capcom, Square-Enix and Namco-Bandai's Wii efforts. I'm sure once some Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and Tales games come out, we'll see the old GameCube crowd dropping some serious money on third-party stuff.

No matter what though, most people that buy Nintendo products still do it for the Nintendo games. 

Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts

Miyamoto is right in every single way. Nintendo is very very good at what they do, and other companies should stop **** that their games don't sell when they have their "third or fourth string" making the games. They need to grow some balls and actually attempt to make an original game.

As decent as Red Steel was, it was crap. And the more people defend it, the more developers think it is ok to put games out. I bought it, played it, beat it. It was fun, but I would not play it again. It was a nice try, but follow that try up with another attempt to make a better product. Not cheap crap ports.

EA though has suprisingly been doing really well at supporting the Wii. But it still comes down to them all porting and porting.

I enjoyed Capcom's enthusiastic apporach to the GC, by making RE4 for it. Not only did they make IMO, the best game for the GC, they took advantage of everything and pushed the graphics of the GC to the limit. Now if they can do that on the GC, why can't other developers do that for the Wii. Speaking in terms of graphics, how can you get a game to look like RE4, on last gen and this gen, the games at Wii launch, look worse than launch GC titles?

3rd parties need to stop **** and actually start making decent games. They will sell, if they are good.

CrankyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrankyGamer
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
You can't expect 3rd party devs to give their A-teams to the Wii. Myamoto does bring up some interesting points but just because Nintendo is changing direction doesn't really mean everyone else in the industry will or even wants to for that matter.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
[QUOTE="Lanfeix"]heat seeker is good but its not that great. it is PS2 port with more effort put in that most. it falls down in several key area's. (i live in england where it is out) 1) they updated the plans and the sky effects, but not the landscape or ground targets. there is only one model for every type of unit so they all look the same. all the tree's are the same friging tree (even in the same orintation) 2) the Veiw, select wepaon , wing man and activate stealth are all on D pad making it a mess. Instead of mapping over the press C button for button combinations you have to press a direction once and then press another. its a mess and i dont understand why when the C buttons not been used. 3) you cant select target with the wii-mote and they realy dont take advantage of it. the rest of the faults with this game are the same as with the PS2 version.

aye there are a few fiddly bits with the controls that could be better (especially with commanding wingmen). but overall i think the controls are pretty solid. moving the plane around works very nicely imho. also how do u mean by target select? hitting the a button changes the my target for me with little hassle.
emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

The other thing he could refer, is that 3rd partys make exclusives for the Wii, not only clone the games for PS's or Xbox's, and the difference is tha wiimote, like armaggedon, or call of duty or medal of honor..
Make games from the ground, or even the same franchise, but exclusive and unique for the Wii
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts
You can't expect 3rd party devs to give their A-teams to the Wii. Myamoto does bring up some interesting points but just because Nintendo is changing direction doesn't really mean everyone else in the industry will or even wants to for that matter.CrankyGamer
Then 3rd party developers should stop crying that their games aren't selling and that is the main reason they don't make games for nintendo systems. If you are going to whine and cry, you better put your best effort in before any of that.
FireEmblem24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FireEmblem24
Member since 2007 • 1097 Posts
I hope they listen to him.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
He's completely right. Devs who complain they can't sell games on a Nintendo platform actually never tried hard enough. Although it's always nice to hear things such as "Nintendo is unbeatable", we all know they could make way better software.
gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 gesi1223
Member since 2004 • 2117 Posts
He's completely right. Devs who complain they can't sell games on a Nintendo platform actually never tried hard enough. Although it's always nice to hear things such as "Nintendo is unbeatable", we all know they could make way better software.Wintry_Flutist
QFT
ignoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#38 ignoman
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
Meh... and what exactly is Nintendo offering above minigames and sequels right now? When I see some blockbuster original Wii games from Nintendo, then they can start to brag about how much effort their putting in.  Tech demos and ported GC titles do not a A-title lineup make. 
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Meh... and what exactly is Nintendo offering above minigames and sequels right now? When I see some blockbuster original Wii games from Nintendo, then they can start to brag about how much effort their putting in.  Tech demos and ported GC titles do not a A-title lineup make. ignoman

ZOMG teh sequels!!1!!11

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

He's completely right. Devs who complain they can't sell games on a Nintendo platform actually never tried hard enough. Although it's always nice to hear things such as "Nintendo is unbeatable", we all know they could make way better software.Wintry_Flutist

QFT

ignoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#41 ignoman
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
Yeah, my post did come off like that, but aside from perhaps Super Mario Galaxy, what great marvels of production can we really expect? Personally I'm more impressed with how games like Opoona (or to a lesser extent Dragon Quest Swords) are trying to do something new with Wii, or at least make something that works with Wii in a way that's actually novel or playable.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Meh... and what exactly is Nintendo offering above minigames and sequels right now? When I see some blockbuster original Wii games from Nintendo, then they can start to brag about how much effort their putting in.  Tech demos and ported GC titles do not a A-title lineup make. ignoman

Nintendo offering only sequels. Let's see.

Halo 1-2-3, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3-4, Forza 1-2, Gran Turismo 1-2-3-4, GTA 1 to 4, ... And people are hyping them. WOW It's Nintendo that is only making sequels.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Miyamoto tells it like it is.

Miyamoto is god.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#44 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
[QUOTE="emilioacosta"]

Neither Ratchet and Clank nor Resistance were developed by Sony. I'm not sure about God of War. R&C and Resistance were both developed by Insomniac and published by Sony.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Well, you see the problem is actually that developers like money.  They typically develop a game and make it work on the lowest common denominator so it can easily be ported to better systems.  Take last generation for example, developers would make a game for the PS2, because it had the worst hardware specs.  Then they could easily port it to the GC or xbox (it is easier to port to xbox than GC was) and then they can sell 3x as much but only one development cost.

This time however, the consoles are a little different.  Xbox 360 and PS3 can have games made for one and ported to the other, with very little hassle, but to take one of those games to the Wii is nearly impossible.  This obviously is because the Wii doesn't have the same level of power as the other two.  Nintendo did this partly on purpose i believe, because it forces developers to make a game on the Wii, only for the Wii.  Yes the games could be ported over to the other two systems, but who would buy it?  When they develop for the Wii, they develop with a brand new style of control, and that can't be passed to the other consoles.  The problem is that developers won't take the wii seriously because it is so under powered compared to the other two consoles.  And because of this, less effort is put into the games that are made for the wii.  They have mini-games type party games, and first person shooters and such, but they are not innovativly using the controls.  They are designed to be ported to other systems with wii controls tacked on.  Take a game like any Nintendo release on the Wii and you will find it to be nearly impossible to port to the other systems because the controls are so different than xbox and ps can handle.  Remember, PS3 has tilt support, but wii controllers can actually detect their position in 3d space to within 5 nanometers as quoted in popular science magazine.

If developers want to make killer Wii based games, they need to expect the games to be for the Wii only and not try to make the games easily ported to another system.  That is why Nintendo releases are so much better than 3rd party right now.  And that is what Nintendo is trying to change with the huge gap in graphics.  Rest assured that their next system in 4 years time will had HD and better graphics as the price on parts will drop a lot by that time... and xbox360 and s3 are expected to be in this cycle for 10 years, so in 4 years time, Nintendo will catch up and the other guys will only be half way through their swing.

Also, I like 360 over PS3 and love my Wii, but they are all very different and good/fun systems.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
This interview confirms my beliefs about the Wiis third party support.... It seems Quantity has outdone Quality with these titles. Don't get me wrong I love the Wii and its the most played console when I have friends over, but there havent been many 3rd party titles worth owning even though there are a ton of 3rd party titles. Nintendo makes great games but they need to do more to make the QUALITY of their 3rd party games better. Maybe bring back that Nintendo seal of approval thing from NES era? heheheh
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts

[QUOTE="ignoman"]Meh... and what exactly is Nintendo offering above minigames and sequels right now? When I see some blockbuster original Wii games from Nintendo, then they can start to brag about how much effort their putting in. Tech demos and ported GC titles do not a A-title lineup make. chris3116

Nintendo offering only sequels. Let's see.

Halo 1-2-3, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3-4, Forza 1-2, Gran Turismo 1-2-3-4, GTA 1 to 4, ... And people are hyping them. WOW It's Nintendo that is only making sequels.

Hmmmmm... 360 and PS3 may have sequels but they also have... GASP... brand new IPs!!! 360: Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Dead Rising PS3: Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm At least PS3 and 360 are trying to come up with new IPs in addition to their sequels... Nintendos only new IPs? Wii Sports/Play and Excite Truck (oh sorry this is technically a sequel to Excite Bike)? Come on, they DO need to ease off the sequels already. Bring back Kid Icarus or actually .... gasp... create a new character!!!!!
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts
Ok folks, leave the other consoles out of this. Nintendo very much needs some new IPs, and desperately needs some good 3rd party games. I think we can all agree on that. It's immaterial what the other consoles are doing, and this isn't the place to debate that.
gnarlychar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gnarlychar
Member since 2004 • 3838 Posts
Ok folks, leave the other consoles out of this. Nintendo very much needs some new IPs, and desperately needs some good 3rd party games. I think we can all agree on that. It's immaterial what the other consoles are doing, and this isn't the place to debate that.Spelunker
I would say that nintendo already has a lot of new IP's coming, just people only WANT to see the sequels.  Nights (which pretty much counts since the last game came out on the saturn...) , Project Hammer, Disaster, Sadness, Orb, and many others like Elebits and Excite Truck. It's almost as good of a list as the competition, along with sequels that introduce an all new mechanic, like Super Paper Mario and Galaxy.
MKN-3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MKN-3
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts
He's got a good point. The 3rd party games have been very underwhelming, and it's very dissapointing, as Matt Cassamasina and Mark Bozon pointed out in their podcast, that these 3rd parties are putting their 3rd-4th teams working on Wii instead of the top developers. I think, when you introduce something as radically new as the Wii remote, then it will take time for the 3rd parties to adjust and make great games, so it will take time. Unfortunately, this does not excuse the bad attitude by 3rd parties (except EA) who are putting lazy, ports. Hopefully as the system keeps selling, more developers will take it seriously, or it will be their loss.