Is there a reason why Goldeneye for the Wii looks like a pre gamecube game?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

Look, I know gameply is more important than graphics, but there is no excuse for an exclusive Wii game of Goldeneye franchise's supposed quality to look like a pre gamecube, almost N64ish! The game looks even worse in splitscreen. What's with these devs that can no longer make splitscreen games?! I believe Timesplitters for the GCN had much better graphics, and the splitscreen games of the N64 and Gamecube had wider screens. Now for some reason all splitscreen games have small screens with terrible to almost N64 graphics!

I can understand smaller screens in a more graphic intensive game, but what is Goldeneye's excuse? The game looks like an old gamecube game. Also I have a flatscreen HD TV, so it's not my fault. Why is it that third party Wii games look so bad? Is it in someway weaker than the GCN, since that system had more consistent distribution of quality graphics among it's games. Star Fox Adventures for the GCN, a game that came out in 2002, looks better than half if not most Wii games out there. Why?

Conker live and reloaded for the Xbox could pass as an early Xbox 360 game, and supposedly the Wii is more capable than the Xbox. Why do Wii third party games look so bad? It is getting rediculous.

Also other than the graphics, Golden eye's gameplay is pretty much a mediocre version of Call of Duty, a waste of my time.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

it´s not in nintendo´s hands nor ours. they just made it that way.

PS

The graphics are not that bad

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

the only gamecube Fps that looks better than goldeneye is maybe geist and that game has a horrible framerate

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RECON64bit

the only gamecube Fps that looks better than goldeneye is maybe geist and that game has a horrible framerate

JuarN18

Last gen GCNgame

Looks better than what Goldeneye looks in splitscreen.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
those arent even current goldeneye screens... maybe if you played the game, you would know that...
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

...That splitscreen shot is from Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, which WAS a Gamecube game and is nothing like the Wii Goldeneye.

Single-player vs. Split-screen is silly anyway because developers will have to sacrifice some graphical fidelity in order to get the game running smoothly enough.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RECON64bit

The first screen is Golden eye 007 for Wii. The last two are Golden eye rogue agent for the GCN.

I couldn't find any splitscreen shots of Goldeneye Wii, but you should know how disgustingly ugly it looks if you played it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Have you even played the game? If so, this thread wouldn't exist.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Goldeneye looks fine when playing single player and awful when online

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Also other than the graphics, Golden eye's gameplay is pretty much a mediocre version of Call of Duty, a waste of my time.

RECON64bit

Well if it's a waste of time to you, then you just wasted more time complaining about it on the forum as well. If you hate it that much then don't play it, but don't come crying to us. (I like it, but I do agree COD is better)

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
because its on the wii
Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

drummerdave9099

Well if it's a waste of time to you, then you just wasted more time complaining about it on the forum as well. If you hate it that much then don't play it, but don't come crying to us. (I like it, but I do agree COD is better)

^ Truth

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

This is a bash thread. All i read was blah blah blah Goldeneye sucks. Why make a comparison on the visuals if gameplay is more important than graphics. You then continue to rant on the subject of graphics. Basically what i'm getting at is this whole thread is about graphics despite your efforts on concealing your personal feeling towards it.

Several remarks from your post continue to prove your ignorance.....

1. Timesplitters for the GCN had much better graphics.You'd have to be blind to come to that conclusion

2. All splitscreen games have small screens with terrible to almost N64 graphics.Do you really believe that

3. Goldeneye looks like an old gamecube game. Seriously Goldeneye looks substantially better than most GC games

4. third party Wii games look so bad.You obviously have had very little exposure to third party wii games. I dont need to list the games to prove that some third party devs have some visually stimulating games.But some that come to mind are... Monster hunter tri, The conduit 1&2, Red Steel 2, zack & wiki, Sonic Colours, Dead Space extraction, Xenoblade, The last story and many more.

5.Is it in someway weaker than the GCN.Why would you think that when we all know for a fact that isn't the case.

6. Star Fox Adventures for the GCN, a game that came out in 2002, looks better than half if not mostWii games out there. Why?Most is an exaggeration. It is true that quite a few third party are not putting in effort in their games for whatever reason, whether it's financially or someother means. You cant blame the physical console entirely.

7. Golden eye's gameplay is pretty much a mediocre version of Call of Duty. Despite the fact that Goldeneye outscored many COD games on several sites and is considered to be a competitive and worthy title against several COD games. Goldeneye's Gameplay refines several key aspects from the COD series and in some areas out does the COD series.

If you think every other game looks and plays better than Goldeneye Wii, then why don't you go off and play those games instead. Opinions i can respect, but none of your statements prove that to be the case. You said gameplay is more important than graphics but every word of your post says otherwise.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
Nah it looks like a Wii game
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

The graphics are beautiful to me. Maybe you're just being too harsh because you expect it to live up to the high standards set by the original, and this version didn't meet your personal hype for the game. It's ok, like you said, gameplay is more important.

1P_The64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 1P_The64
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

...That splitscreen shot is from Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, which WAS a Gamecube game and is nothing like the Wii Goldeneye.

Single-player vs. Split-screen is silly anyway because developers will have to sacrifice some graphical fidelity in order to get the game running smoothly enough.

1PMrFister
Boo. Also, on topic: I just got Goldeneye, and I must say the foundations of this topic are fairly mistaken. It looks decent; it's not fantastic, but it certainly doesn't lack the quality to be considered current-gen.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

That first comparison picture is Goldeneye for Wii. And the other is Goldeneye Rogue agent for last gen consoles. You just proved yourself wrong by saying Goldeneye Wii looks better.

Goldeneye doesn't look that bad, it's for the Wii, not PS3 and 360. Wii's graphical capabilities have not improved much over Gamecube. Considering that, I think itlooks just fine.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Are you playing on an hd tv? maybe that's why. My wii games look better on my SDTV.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

The only Wii game that looks like an N64 game is iCarly. Goldeneye looks pretty good, even compared to 360/PS3 games, I was personally impressed that it was running on the Wii, so I don't know what you are talking about.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You dug up the worst screenshot of Goldeneye in existence (literally every single other screenshot looks better). That kind of makes me wonder about whether you made this thread in good faith.

YoungFlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 YoungFlitz
Member since 2011 • 854 Posts
I just think the wii's harddrive isn't the best. Thats probably why. And they aren't that bad.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Because it has the Goldeneye name on it and will sell regardless. And because Activision made it - no sense putting in any more effort into a game than will garner a decent amount of sales.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea.. graphics are garbage.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

The first screen is Golden eye 007 for Wii. The last two are Golden eye rogue agent for the GCN.

I couldn't find any splitscreen shots of Goldeneye Wii, but you should know how disgustingly ugly it looks if you played it.

RECON64bit

The first one looks way better than the last two. It has much more detail. Look at the reflections on the floor, at the gun model, and at the detail on the kitchen counters. Oh, and fyi, that stuff on the kitchen counter is destructible game map terrain. Those pots and pans react to being fired at, making that fight in particular kind of interesting. Did rogue agent have that?

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

I just think the wii's harddrive isn't the best. Thats probably why. And they aren't that bad.YoungFlitz

?? wtf ?? i think u mean Processor, Graphics card, RAM, not just "harddrive" (of which the wii has none, only 512mb of FLASH storage).

but seriously, if the TC thinks these things about goldeneye, go back and play those old games, they really dont look that great today. You can throw any GCN game into the wii and run it! then be dissapointed. At the same time, i am really dissapointed we aren't see more effort in the wii's graphics. I have been playing House of the dead Overkill heaps lately. not a bad looking game, a little muddy in some patches, but it makes up for it with plenty of post processing and sheer style. i havent ever seen motion blur on the wii before.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

Are you playing on an hd tv? maybe that's why. My wii games look better on my SDTV.

martinX3X
this is so false it's not even funny.
RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RECON64bit

Are you people blind? Go ahead and play Golden eye on the nightclub level, it looks horrendous.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Are you people blind? Go ahead and play Golden eye on the nightclub level, it looks horrendous.

RECON64bit

You have an odd definition of "horrendous".

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

RECON64bit
wow your hate blinded you...At first i thought you were just trolling but now i think you got visual problems.Rogue agent for cube?are you serious?Do you think we dont have memory?i will refresh it with something better than stills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Bga5KTim4&feature=related Rogue agent.Decent for cube. A turd compared to : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DHs-fb-MI Compares favorably against far cry for xbox, proving its a stronger system. I know your definition of better is less polygons, less detail , lack of reflections, inferior lighting and blocky last gen animations.But you should check a dictionary since not everyone lives in your world.geez.N64 ish?hey, why not go all the way.its Atari like .Happy now?
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kungfool69

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

intro94

wow your hate blinded you...At first i thought you were just trolling but now i think you got visual problems.Rogue agent for cube?are you serious?Do you think we dont have memory?i will refresh it with something better than stills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Bga5KTim4&feature=related Rogue agent.Decent for cube. A turd compared to : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DHs-fb-MI Compares favorably against far cry for xbox, proving its a stronger system. I know your definition of better is less polygons, less detail , lack of reflections, inferior lighting and blocky last gen animations.But you should check a dictionary since not everyone lives in your world.geez.N64 ish?hey, why not go all the way.its Atari like .Happy now?

"like" button :D

i bet he prefers Cubivore's graphics over Gears of War....

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="martinX3X"]

teknic1200
this is so false it's not even funny.

Some HD tvs handle SD signals really bad
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
The only that makes Goldeneye look bad to some is the simplicity of the geometry in the game and the colors. it is actually a lot like Black Ops for Wii. Might be why some people believe Modern Warfare Reflex looks better although it doesn't.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"]The only that makes Goldeneye look bad to some is the simplicity of the geometry in the game and the colors. it is actually a lot like Black Ops for Wii. Might be why some people believe Modern Warfare Reflex looks better although it doesn't.

I like the colors and stuff, but the textures are inconsistent. One of the jeeps I crouched behind looked like someone poorly painted jeep features on a rectangle; no detail, no depth.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

I agree GoldenEye looks a bit ugly on the Graphics side in certain areas but for a Wii FPSgame it looks pretty good. I wouldn't go as far as to say it looks equivalent to a GCN game though. Also gameplay to me matters more then graphics like you said. I also grew up on Saturn, Mega CD, and the PS1 too so graphics really don't mean as much to me as maybesomeone who was more privilegedfirst starting outon the Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox or GCN (Last Gen) and never touched a system before that.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Also I'm playing SD games on a 1080i HDTV which might cause it to look worse or more blurry. I'll tell you what though HD or no HD the Blur effect when reloading is ugly and annoying. That's really the only thing I don't like about the game. I'm not sure because I never tried it but maybe if you get component cables for the Wii and plug them into your HDTV.....It might make the visuals a little better on the HDTV. Just a suggestion. I have yet to buy them myself so I don't really know if it will help or not.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

I've played it... :|

It dosent look ugly

obviously the T.C never played the game

Though i Did notice that that the games textures are a tad to dark with not enough contrast, causing me to have to squint to see them, thus hurting my eyes. This is odd, as i usually think the oppostie of some games

anyoine else has this??

The graphics are still good though

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

Yeah, graphics aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. I've been playing games since the NES and I have played just about every console in existance since then. This game does not look anything like an N64 game first of all... and it's definitely better than early GCN games, including Star Fox Adventures, which actually looks pretty bad when played today. (Despite thinking it was gorgeous at the time.) I also own a PS3 and 360 which I play regularly, and I did not find Goldeneye ugly in the least. Sure, it can't compare to the best I've seen on PS3 and 360, but I don't expect it to. Nor do I care. The game looks good. And it's a great game.

TheAnswerEdgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheAnswerEdgar
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts
?
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

martinX3X
Same here, when lived down at college, I only had an SDTV and games were much more appealing than on my HDTV at home.
punchacku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 punchacku
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

If graphics decided whether or not games were good...........i would not play video games at all. Case and point mario galaxy 2.....rated a 10 by most critics and has no realism, sex or violence.....hardcore gamers are in it for the challenge and the fun/entertainment value....not the other way around grow up. No ps3 or 360 game has achieved any such thing so your complaint holds no water. Gaming is about gameplay.....not graphics.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WreckEm711

If graphics decided whether or not games were good...........i would not play video games at all. Case and point mario galaxy 2.....rated a 10 by most critics and has no realism, sex or violence.....hardcore gamers are in it for the challenge and the fun/entertainment value....not the other way around grow up. No ps3 or 360 game has achieved any such thing so your complaint holds no water. Gaming is about gameplay.....not graphics.

punchacku
Not to turn this into system wars, but yes, many games on other systems have achieved that kind of fun
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kungfool69

Also I'm playing SD games on a 1080i HDTV which might cause it to look worse or more blurry. I'll tell you what though HD or no HD the Blur effect when reloading is ugly and annoying. That's really the only thing I don't like about the game. I'm not sure because I never tried it but maybe if you get component cables for the Wii and plug them into your HDTV.....It might make the visuals a little better on the HDTV. Just a suggestion. I have yet to buy them myself so I don't really know if it will help or not.

Foulcry

component cablse help ALOT. colours wont bleed into each other anymore and you'll get cleaner and clearer picture quaility. even if ur TV is SD only i still say u mUST GET COMPONENT (its 3 times more picture info!)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#45 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

are you nutz, goldeneye looks more better then many gc games,

in fact put n ightfire next to it and yo ull see ,even timesplitters future perfect lol , gc best lo okin fps is ts 3 by the way os ya

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RECON64bit

Typical third party wii game.

Gamecube game from 2002

Wii game from 2009

Xbox game

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WreckEm711

And this kids is what we call cherry-picking.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RECON64bit

You dug up the worst screenshot of Goldeneye in existence (literally every single other screenshot looks better). That kind of makes me wonder about whether you made this thread in good faith.

GabuEx

I am only a concerned Wii owner, and the game does infact look like a N64 game in splitscreen, which is probably why there are no splitscreen shots.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

RECON64bit

I am only a concerned Wii owner, and the game does infact look like a N64 game in splitscreen, which is probably why there are no splitscreen shots.

I think you might have forgotten how bad N64 games look nowadays.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

punchacku
Good graphics improve a game. This is a fact. Mario Galaxy 2 is probably the best looking game on Wii, so don't know where you are going with that example.