Is The Wii A Console Made For Rich People?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I've been giving this more and more thought and I've come to the conclusion that the Wii is made for rich people (as in people who can regularly afford games)

The Wii is something completely new and that means there's a lot of software you've never seen before or been able to play a certain way before. If someone is limited to a few games they don't get a good idea of what the Wii can do.

You see threads about the "Wii is collecting dust" or "there's no good games" and you have to wonder if that's a direct result of people not being able to properly support the Wii financially.

Users that are limited to one game every few months are only doing one new thing the Wii offers every few months.

Here's a few examples....

When the Wii launched the only racing games were GT Pro Series, Excite Truck and Need For Speed Carbon. Now here's a game in GT Pro Series that does not look good by today's standards, I'd say it looks like an early Gamecube game BUT it controls very well. So people who have a steady flow of money could buy the game because it was one third of the racing library of the Wii and enjoy it for what it was and still pick up whatever other title they wanted in the future.

On the other hand if someone only had a certain amount of money to spend they couldn't spend it on GT Pro because if they did they wouldn't be able to afford the next game they were looking forwards to.

Another game is Elebits/Eledees. A fun game that does a great job of showing users what the Wiimote can do. Only problem is that it was a great game when released but now it's been surpassed by other games. Now if you couldn't get it at launch for 50 dollars and had to wait until now when it's a 20 dollar game someone may think that it's not that great. So because the user had financial limitations they're getting the wrong idea about the current ability of the hardware and the software.

Then you have the games that don't use motion controls at all. Again, if financial constraints are in play someone who is looking for the "Wii Experience" wants motion games and when they get a game that doesn't have motion controls they feel they're missing out. Games like Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, and MLB Power Pros have been a source of complaints since they don't have complete motion controls.

Lastly, financial concerns make some users not able to try new software genres they may not normally play. If you only have a certain amount of money you can't take a chance on a Trauma Center because if it's not a genre you like you wont be getting another game in place of it. The same goes for updated genres. Fishing Master is a great game to play but it's a fishing game, that means that anyone will probably like it but if someone needs them a game to hold themselves over for a few months until they can afford a new game many wont be buying it whereas someone who gets a few games will be happy putting it in for an hour here and there between other games.

What do you think? Do you think that to fully experience the Wii you need a variety of titles just to see everything the Wii can do?

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts
I see your point. But I think that argument would be true for any console. If you're the type of person that gets bored of one thing quickly, then there's no difference between getting bored of GT Pro Racer (or whatever it is) and getting bored of Halo 3. You're still getting the same singular experience from playing the one game.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts

No. I think all consoles are like that. Not too many ones will be able to try all what a console offers, due to costs and/or lack of time to play. Sure, the Wii makes this more noticeable, since it has many innovative games, but all consoles are like that. It's almost impossible to experience everything a console has to offer.

That's why developers should consider releasing their simple games for the Wii Ware or just not at full price, so more people get to try them.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I have to agree with the posters above me and say no. All three consoles have a variety of games and it takes a lot of money to play everything the console offers.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy

I understand all consoles have this problem but the Wii is doing something that nothing else ever has.

If you played a shooter last gen with a standard controller you played a shooter this gen with a standard controller even if you haven't bought it yet because it's basically the same.

If you played a racing game last gen with a standard controller you played a racing game this gen with a standard controller even if you haven't bought it yet because it plays the same.

There's so many experiences on the Wii that have never been done before that unless you personally own them you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to games because you don't have any reference at all about it

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
that's a very good question. with this revolutionary break through, the options of the uses of motion sensing widely expanded the possibilities of gameplay. However, i think in order to "FULLY" experience you might possibly end up with a good 40-50 titles, maybe even more if you think about it.
remblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 remblade
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts
I think the title is just a little off. I by no means am "rich" but I do buy games quite regularly. If there is a game I want, I usually have the extra cash to get it. But I agree, most people who say the Wii has no games just don't own many. I recently bought One Piece: Unlimited Adventure and I'm loving it. I just went into a store saw it and bought it. Now someone who has to manage there money better would have passed it up and that's perfectly understandable. But there are plenty of good games that get passed up because of personal budget constraints. This of course applies to all consoles but you do see the threads "teh Wii has no gamez" more often than the others.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
I'm not rich by any means. I make very little actually, but yet I own 17 Wii games(excluding Wii Sports and including Wii Fit). I've experienced all the games that interest me. It also helps that I use Gamefly for games I'm not sure about. So no, you don't have to be rich to be a Wii owner, you just have to set aside money and trade in games every once in a while.
rockwii13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rockwii13
Member since 2007 • 611 Posts
Okay, I'm confused. You talk about people not being able to purchase the Wii do to lack of money, yet it's the cheapest of the current-gen systems. You'll pay $300-$500 dollars for any other system while the Wii is $250. Then, there's the fact that even the Wii's biggest games like Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Mario Kart are all $50 and even terrible games for the 360 and PS3 like Denied Ops and Blue Dragon are $60. Then, you have the Wii's online play. Sure there might not be many games with online playability, but Super Smash Bros.' and Mario Kart's online is just as fun a Gears of War and Halo, and it's FREE. So really, why are you questioning the price of the Wii?
ApeOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 147

#10 ApeOverlord
Member since 2005 • 1308 Posts

On the contrary, I spend as little as possible with the Wii thanks to the virtual console. I only have 5 Wii games and I downloaded 15 VC games. It's a steal to buy classic games for $10 or less.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The same applies to other machines as well. I heard that in some countries PS3 games can shamelessly cost up to $100 and more, and you need a decent tv ($400+) to enjoy that $400 console, so I'd say the PS3 is the thing for rich people. PS3 owners you may now feels special ;)
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
I vote no, because although you do have a point, Jasonguy, it can also go the other way. The Wii is the cheapest system right now, plus with WiiWare games coming out each week a person can stretch $50 across a month and get a new game each week. To me this makes it an economy system.
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

Okay, I'm confused. You talk about people not being able to purchase the Wii do to lack of money, yet it's the cheapest of the current-gen systems. You'll pay $300-$500 dollars for any other system while the Wii is $250. Then, there's the fact that even the Wii's biggest games like Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Mario Kart are all $50 and even terrible games for the 360 and PS3 like Denied Ops and Blue Dragon are $60. Then, you have the Wii's online play. Sure there might not be many games with online playability, but Super Smash Bros.' and Mario Kart's online is just as fun a Gears of War and Halo, and it's FREE. So really, why are you questioning the price of the Wii?rockwii13

MSRP is $250, but the Wii is being resold so quickly that it's price to consumers is more in line with the other consoles or above. The "Wii sells because it's cheap" arguement has been debunked multiple times.

The idea that Jayson is putting forth is that since the Wii is uncharted territory, the previous standard of controls is no longer existant. As such, everyone is going about the development a little bit different. In essence not only are we seeing a new level of control, but we're opening up the range of possibilities and seeing entirely new subgenres.

So you may be able to see more or less what the 360 or PS3 has to offer with a purchase of a dozen games (helped largely by the amount of multiplats and the standardized controls), but in order to full experience the Wii you'll need to by 2 dozen games. The difference in quantity causes a greater expenditure of funds. This is only further complicated by the wide range of peripherals offered for the Wii.

For example, Endless Ocean is a new subgenre. In order to gain the entire Wii experience, you have to own this game. There isn't really a good equivilant for the PS3 or 360, ergo this is one game more than the number of 360/PS3 games that would be sold. At the $10 difference, you essentially negate a 5 game price difference with this type of game. With enough of these new subgenres (Trauma Center, Boom Blox, Zak and Wiki, etc.) It doesn't take long for the expenditure of Wii titles to outvalue the 360 and PS3 titles.

I'm undecided on this. I don't think that this was the intended result so technically, it's not made FOR rich people, but having a lot of extra income certainly helps, especially when you consider the interconnectivity of the DS in the picture. All in all, though, I'm gonna have to stick with no.

COKTAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 COKTAL
Member since 2008 • 622 Posts
I voted no. I mean, there are lots of games out there for Wii but that means alot of catagories, like Racing, fighting, etc. Some people don't like certain types of games so they don't play them that much. You don't have to go out and get every single game to fully experience. Even though I don't get games often, I do trade around with my friends so I still get the same experience that some one else paid to get all the games while I only pay part of the way. I'm borrowing Corruption right now and I love the game. It feels good knowing I DIDN'T buy the game. It means I saved money and still had fun.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Nice catchy topic header, but you are really saying this: "Is the Wii a console made for people who can regularly afford games" and the answer probably is yes. (Leave RICH out of it, it is confusing people).

Many Wii games don't have a large life span (spare a few), DLC is very limited to make micro transactions to prolong the life of the games, most WiiWare titles have the gaming life eqivalent of Windows Solitair (really long if you love it, really crappy if you only play it once to see the cards bounce), and most 'innovative' games are testing the water and not adding a ton of depth to the games. Like most people have pointed out though, to fully experience any console you need to put down a lot of money finacially to continue to buy different games. It isn't specific to the Wii... but the Wii definately lacks the ability for a person to buy only three games and play them for a year.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

No. I don't feel that I have to play every type of game to fully experience the Wii.

The motion controls are fun, but I don't find them to be so utterly revolutionary that had I not played a racer on the Wii, I would have no concept of what it was or how it would work.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

... but the Wii definately lacks the ability for a person to buy only three games and play them for a year.raahsnavj

I don't know if I'd say that

If you bought....

Mario Kart (unlimited single player experince online)

Smash Bros (unlocking all the stupid boxes)

MLB Power Pros (takes 810 hours of play to complete one game mode one time, that's 67.5 days if you played 12 hours a day nonstop)

So no, there's a lot of titles that will keep you playing to finish the game completely.

m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
I agree with you 110%. I buy myself quite a few games and I don't get bored with my Wii. My friends on the other hand, don't buy many games and all get bored.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

No, the Wii is not a console made for rich people. I am a younger person, basically living cheque to cheque, and I am still able to afford Wii games regularly. The only time this isn't the case is when games are bundled with peripherals, such as Wii Fit and Guitar Hero. Those titles are much more expensive and therefore more difficult to purchase, and of course, such games are not limited only to Wii.

The Wii is definitely the most affordable console. All you need to do is look at the prices of new games for the other consoles out there.

nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts

I disagree. The Wii is by far the cheapest system. Games are $10 cheaper. Online multiplayer is free. MK Wii comes with the wheel. GH3 is $10 cheaper than the other ports.

Everyone is restricted financially at some point. I am by no means rich (poor college student), and I just choose to save my money for the games that will maximize my replayability and experience on the Wii (Galaxy, MK, Zelda, SSBB, and a few others). The wonderful thing about Nintendo is that I can play their games forever. I haven't touched Gears of War in a year, but I can still put in Zelda from time to time. People just have to make thier own economic decisions, but Nintendo is by far the most economical console.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
if you're rich in patience, i say, fiscally, it can be for whomever, systems arent aimed at wealth classess, they're aimed at whomever, but with the wii's lack of GOOD third party support, lack of memory storage, and mario kart, patience is a virtue
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
You'd need to be rich to buy a PS3 or a 360 and to pay the fuel bill due to the power those monsters eat.
ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
I think someone just spends to much on games.
Sabin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Sabin55
Member since 2008 • 361 Posts

Here is another thing.. you talk of people having to wait til an old game is in the bargin bin to be able to buy it. This is assuming they have the older titles and wait till they are in the bargin bin. Now this type of person will buy the game and though outdated, it is more advanced than the last bargin game they bought. I was like this. Getting back into consoles I got the Wii. Now it had the weak graphics potential compared to the other systems and many feel it was only a little better than the Gamecube. I skipped Gamecube, so my graphics were compared to the N64. So for me the Wii was awesome in graphics. Each "new" game a bargin bin shopper gets is an improvement to that person if they don't have any of the fully priced new games. If they have to buy old games then my guess is this person would have one console and not multiple.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts

maybe people say their wii is collecting dust simply because none of the games don't interest them? Maybe they have a point when they say it doesn't have enough quality games?

no, can't be that. :roll:

Mario-Sonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mario-Sonic
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Thats a good question. im not rich yet i own the wii. Ive got plenty of game titles and dont make much at all And by far the Wii is the cheapest of the game systems. I got the wii because of all of the fun games that were out for it. I stood outside for my wii yet its the cheapest. The 360 and PS3 arent for rich people either. Youve just got to save up and be patient if you want it. or you can whine and bi*ch about it until someone helps ya get it. the point is that youve just gotta save and get money somehow. Hustle, Sell drugs, be a prostitute. Do what ya gotta do to get what you want. And by the way: Patience is a Virtue.
MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts
I find myself spending way more on those "other" consoles.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]... but the Wii definately lacks the ability for a person to buy only three games and play them for a year.Jaysonguy

I don't know if I'd say that

If you bought....

Mario Kart (unlimited single player experince online)

Smash Bros (unlocking all the stupid boxes)

MLB Power Pros (takes 810 hours of play to complete one game mode one time, that's 67.5 days if you played 12 hours a day nonstop)

So no, there's a lot of titles that will keep you playing to finish the game completely.

3 is hardly a lot of titles... none of them have DLC either to extend the game from feeling the same over and over and other than MLB the life is limited to online-play only.

I'll add the forth though to prove I'm not trying to argue the point too much, Blast Works - you can build your own game as much as you want... that has lasting appeal. But for the most part, regardless of system, unless you buy games once in a while, the system starts to suck.
tabuu1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tabuu1
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
no its only $250
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
No, it's not made for rich people, it's made for the family. Junior wants a new game, but has no money, Mommy and Daddy buy the game for him, and maybe decide to pick up Wii Fit as well. Junior is happy because he got a game, Mommy and Daddy are happy because they have a game, and Nintendo is happy because they made money. :)
doctores143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 doctores143
Member since 2007 • 3016 Posts
First of all the wii is cheapest system with the cheapest games. Any system will cost a lot of money to have because you can play videogames anytime you want.
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

well wi games dont cost 59 to 69 dollars cough cough 360

TheBeast789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheBeast789
Member since 2008 • 1414 Posts

I think the title is just a little off. I by no means am "rich" but I do buy games quite regularly. If there is a game I want, I usually have the extra cash to get it. But I agree, most people who say the Wii has no games just don't own many. I recently bought One Piece: Unlimited Adventure and I'm loving it. I just went into a store saw it and bought it. Now someone who has to manage there money better would have passed it up and that's perfectly understandable. But there are plenty of good games that get passed up because of personal budget constraints. This of course applies to all consoles but you do see the threads "teh Wii has no gamez" more often than the others.remblade

Thats all there is to say.....

TheBeast789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheBeast789
Member since 2008 • 1414 Posts

I think the title is just a little off. I by no means am "rich" but I do buy games quite regularly. If there is a game I want, I usually have the extra cash to get it. But I agree, most people who say the Wii has no games just don't own many. I recently bought One Piece: Unlimited Adventure and I'm loving it. I just went into a store saw it and bought it. Now someone who has to manage there money better would have passed it up and that's perfectly understandable. But there are plenty of good games that get passed up because of personal budget constraints. This of course applies to all consoles but you do see the threads "teh Wii has no gamez" more often than the others.remblade

Thats all there is to say.....

HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
AS said before me, I don't think that the Wii is for rich people. All the current consoles are that are out have a hefty price tag. We all know the Wii is currently the cheapest hardware. I understand how the controls and gameplay are different. Each console is expensive if you look at accessories, online play, perherials, and other features. Nintendo is just using a different method to sell their product. Obviously, the way they market is working. I am can wait and save money for the game I really want. It is Nintendo's method by spreading there game releases so people can enjoy the game. An extended time for game allows the game to make sales until the next big title is released. People get tired of that one game and before they know it, the next big thing is on the shelf.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

i think its for anyone but poor people are poor due to many reasons but if the poor ppl make $1000 - 2000 a month then they should save extra money for something they want

NALDOxCORE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NALDOxCORE
Member since 2008 • 2162 Posts
If you're dead broke and have a console, of course you're not going to get the full experience. I only have 6 Wii games and 2 Gamecube and I still get what I need out of that console. Just because you don't have alot of games doesn't mean that you don't get a good Wii experience. Quality over quantity young one.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Yep there are about 15 games I want. But I recently got a PSP so I'm trying to build up a colllection for that.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
All the consoles could be seen as "for the rich" because the Wii isn't the only console with tons of games that need you to be rich to be able to play. Sure the Wii may be the new innovative console, but it doesn't mean it has more games to buy over the other consoles, it's all opinionated on which console you will spend most on.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts

JasonGuy, up until now, I've surprisingly agreed with everything you have said. But this just isn't true.

Want to know who the Wii is for? I've been doing the same thing that you did, and I came to the conclusion that the Wii is for SMART people. You see, there's a flaw in your reasoning: most people who say their Wii is collecting dust have another next-gen console, like a 360 or a PS3. If someone can afford one of those and a Wii, they are pretty much considered rich. I know someone who has had their Wii for a couple weeks after launch, only has about 6-8 games for it, and still loves it and plays it regularly. One of my reletives also has a Wii, and hasn't used to actively for a year, even though he has like 12 games for it (that he bought in a period of 6 months >_>), I have come to the conclusion that only smart people understand the greatness that is the Wii. Close to the Wii's launch, I spent a lot of time aurguing with people that hate the Wii, and they all had the dumbest reasons for doing so. "No shooters". "You look stupid playing it". "Zelda is t3h suxorz". I even heard one person say "it doesn't have Sonic '06. Instead, it has some cruddy Secret Rings game were you run in a forest". No joke. People that don't understand what makes good games good cannot like the Wii. And a lot of mainsteam gamers just don't understand what makes a good game good.

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

I see your points in this argument, but I find the Wii's issue to be more of a replayability/WiFi issue.

Remember Brawl? Not sure about you, but after the first week or two of trying to get on Brawl's WiFi, I gave up after experiencing sub-par connections when I could just play with my friends that were likely of a similar skill level. You may wonder why I'd even bother going on WiFi, and I'd say it's the experience/feel of the moment. Sure Brawl's fun and all of that, but it will eventually fade to a game that sits there.

Onto other games, however. A month ago, I only felt like playing my 360. Yesterday, I got Wii Fit, and I've really just been playing that for a bit instead of the 360. It's more about the uniqueness that the Wii brings and the things that seperate it from the two other consoles. Mario Kart Wii is a bit like this in that it's unique from other racing games on the other consoles.

I'd say it's not really a matter of money when it comes to the Wii, but rather a trial of whether Nintendo can keep spewing out these types of games while still appealing to the casual gamer.

Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts

I don't think the Wii is for rich people. Gaming is just an expensive habit. A smoker may tell you that smoking is an expensive habit, but it doesn't mean that smoking is for rich people.

the Wii is rated "E for Everyone"

mVolta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mVolta
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts
how is a system that was intended for casuals, only for rich ppl. dosent make sence at.
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
Games are cheaper, the console is lower priced, people won't have as many accessories as the other two systems, the wii looks better on a smaller tv (32 inches at most, my 42 inch LCD stretches it out too much) that doesn't need anymore than 480p, there have fewer highly rated games.
chickenscratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chickenscratch
Member since 2003 • 342 Posts

I guess to get the absolute most out it you would have to be swimming in dough (now there's a delicious visual) but I'm a broke as a joke college student and I find it suits me just fine.

NALDOxCORE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NALDOxCORE
Member since 2008 • 2162 Posts

how is a system that was intended for casuals, only for rich ppl. dosent make sence at.mVolta

May I recomend Birdmen and the Casual Falacy to you? Look it up on Google.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
One word: rentals! This way people can experience all kinds of games without spending a lot of money. At Blockbuster I pay $20 a month and can have a game out for as long as I want and can exchange it as many times as I want. I've tried many types of games, like Metroid Prime 3, Scarface, No More Heroes, Endless Ocean, Red Steel, MLB Power Pros, BwII, Super Mario Strikers, etc. I have not purchased a single one of those games, yet I experienced all the different kinds of gameplay, and beat many of them. This Wii is not for rich people, it just has a very diverse library of games.
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

I've been giving this more and more thought and I've come to the conclusion that the Wii is made for rich people (as in people who can regularly afford games)

The Wii is something completely new and that means there's a lot of software you've never seen before or been able to play a certain way before. If someone is limited to a few games they don't get a good idea of what the Wii can do.

You see threads about the "Wii is collecting dust" or "there's no good games" and you have to wonder if that's a direct result of people not being able to properly support the Wii financially.

Users that are limited to one game every few months are only doing one new thing the Wii offers every few months.

Here's a few examples....

When the Wii launched the only racing games were GT Pro Series, Excite Truck and Need For Speed Carbon. Now here's a game in GT Pro Series that does not look good by today's standards, I'd say it looks like an early Gamecube game BUT it controls very well. So people who have a steady flow of money could buy the game because it was one third of the racing library of the Wii and enjoy it for what it was and still pick up whatever other title they wanted in the future.

On the other hand if someone only had a certain amount of money to spend they couldn't spend it on GT Pro because if they did they wouldn't be able to afford the next game they were looking forwards to.

Another game is Elebits/Eledees. A fun game that does a great job of showing users what the Wiimote can do. Only problem is that it was a great game when released but now it's been surpassed by other games. Now if you couldn't get it at launch for 50 dollars and had to wait until now when it's a 20 dollar game someone may think that it's not that great. So because the user had financial limitations they're getting the wrong idea about the current ability of the hardware and the software.

Then you have the games that don't use motion controls at all. Again, if financial constraints are in play someone who is looking for the "Wii Experience" wants motion games and when they get a game that doesn't have motion controls they feel they're missing out. Games like Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, and MLB Power Pros have been a source of complaints since they don't have complete motion controls.

Lastly, financial concerns make some users not able to try new software genres they may not normally play. If you only have a certain amount of money you can't take a chance on a Trauma Center because if it's not a genre you like you wont be getting another game in place of it. The same goes for updated genres. Fishing Master is a great game to play but it's a fishing game, that means that anyone will probably like it but if someone needs them a game to hold themselves over for a few months until they can afford a new game many wont be buying it whereas someone who gets a few games will be happy putting it in for an hour here and there between other games.

What do you think? Do you think that to fully experience the Wii you need a variety of titles just to see everything the Wii can do?

Jaysonguy

Here is an idea... get a job... rent the games... the answer is NO not for the rich. save 10 bucks a week for 52 weeks 520 dollars. income tax returns buy a couple games... If you dont know what type of games that you like and dont have access to a gamesite like game spot. then you deserve to get your money taken by companies that are smarter then you are.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Buying and playing one too many games is like a double-edged sword. In the past month, I've purchased a ton of PS2, Wii, PS3, PSP, and one Xbox 360 game. And let me tell you, I cannot keep up. There's just not enough time left in the day to play all these games. Granted, I'm leaving out a lot of quality titles out there. So what I'm trying to say, it's not weather you're rich or poor, or just flat broke. You have to consider how you game. What's your pace? Do you have a lot of time on your hands. It's senseless to buy games and have them still in their factory wrappers. If you're filthy rich, sure, knock yourself out.