Is Nintendo Held to a Different Standard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

It seems like Nintendo gamers never have enough games to satisfy them, which in part, is because there simply aren't enough. The other side of the argument is the lack of third party support, but Nintendo gamers don't seem to care about them anyway.

But here we are in the first week of March, and we know of only a handful of games releasing for the ps4 and the Xbox One --

**For the sake of this discussion, I'm talking about AAA, exclusive - 60$ that *should* release this year. I love indie titles and free-to-play like Blacklight, and I'm looking forward to Planetside 2, but not everybody shares that sentiment.**

ps4 -- Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, and Drive Club.

Xbox One -- Kinect Sports, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4, and *possibly* Halo.

For the Wii U, the announced games are -- Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Yarn Yoshi, Fire EmblemXShin Megami, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and X.

Now, there's bound to be counters to this argument -- the key argument is that Nintendo *has* gone years abandoning their core audience, the Wii U's been out a year longer, lack of third party, not all games are for everybody, etc...

But the fact states that we're in the first week of March, and we know about about as many Wii U releases as we do Xbox One and ps4 combined, yet the general assumption is the Wii U has no games coming out, while people are still hopeful about the upcoming releases filling out for the Xbox One and the ps4.

While nobody seems to believe that more games will be announced at e3 for all three consoles, we still have a few months before big releases drop, some of them coming at the end of the year.

So, do gamers hold Nintendo to a different standard? Do we expect more from them than the other two console makers?

Is it simply because they don't have third parties to fill up their library? Or is Nintendo just not capable of keeping people happy?

**final note** -- opinions on the Wii U are plentiful. We've heard them all, already. Try and keep this to talking about only the amount/quality of releases, not graphics and online and all that, please...

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

The release slate isn't a valid comparison because the other two JUST came out. The Wii u has been around longer. As third and first party projects are finalized the amount of upcoming titles on the thee two will spike, and the wii u will be where it usually is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think, and other people have brought this out before here, people expect Nintendo to be able to accomplish a lot, but they forget that Nintendo is just one publisher. They have all of their different development teams working on stuff, and people buy Nintendo consoles mostly for those first-party games. But sometimes people expect Nintendo to be able to do the work of 3rd-party developers in addition to everything else.

By contrast though, it seems to me that Nintendo usually produces more first-party games yearly than their competitors. I could be wrong, though.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Let's kill this one fast

List of retail games in the next four months

Titles upcoming for one of the "other" consoles = 11

Titles upcoming for the other of the "other" consoles = 8

Titles upcoming for the Wii U = 4

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Ovirew: That seems to be the case. That said, it's entirely Nintendo's fault for not giving two shits about third parties on their console. All that "we need third parties to survive," talk is just them blowing smoke out their asses. It's very clear in their business practices they only care about releasing Nintendo games. But while it seems we get more first party titles per year -- most years -- from Nintendo, we usually purchase less overall games than on other consoles. I think, in a way, their philosophy is sound because I don't think Nintendo gamers really care about third parties, but what Nintendo needs is more third party partners to release their first party software, which is something they've talked openly about this year.

Simply put, I think Nintendo themselves release enough first party titles, they just need more companies to develop the kinds of games Nintendo gamers will purchase on the side.

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

Nintendo is blamed for everything and held to it's own standard of "they didn't do what I wanted so screw Nintendo".

Lose/Lose situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

They take too damn long to make games and they were so ignorant the last 7 years of HD development they thought they could hop right into it. They don't "need" bigger multiplats (I say that and not 3rd party support because Nintendo has great indie support and at least some bigger 3rd party support), but if they don't have those bigger titles coming, they need to make more games, and faster.

They simply need to scale up their studios and acquire some new talent, I don't necessarily want bigger 3rd party support, as I can get that elsewhere. This would be best for everyone - more games from Nintendo at a faster pace, and you can still get everything else with another console.

Ironically, the vast majority of "AAA" games coming out for Ps4 and Xbox one look like dog crap and has left me somewhat apathetic about the ps4 for now, so i'll be waiting another year at least to pick up one up.. which leaves me with this Wii U drought.

Like jaysonguy said, there are literally 2 or 3 titles coming that we know of before MK, and I don't even care about MK. Nintendo's single biggest problem are these horrible droughts, which have plagued them since even before Wii.

---

I'm not even comparing Nintendo to sony or MS, i'm just talking about Ninty. The other 2 don't have ANYTHING yet, but that doesn't make Nintendo's situation any better.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

They are held to a higher standard. Tons of shitty games are hyped up for the Xbone like Ryse(lol), yet the wiiU "only" has this many games etc....

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

I think the real point is that Nintendo holds THEMSELVES to a higher standard.

The games Nintendo develops or publishes are generally free of bugs. The number of times Nintendo games have needed a patch or fix post-release compared to the rest of the industry makes everyone else look like they pulled the games out of their buttholes and burned it onto a disc...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

@zyroxz2 said:

The games Nintendo develops or publishes are generally free of bugs. The number of times Nintendo games have needed a patch or fix post-release compared to the rest of the industry makes everyone else look like they pulled the games out of their buttholes and burned it onto a disc...

So you've missed what's happened with their titles for the last 8-10 years?

What you're saying is nowhere close to being true

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Jaysonguy said:

@zyroxz2 said:

I've literally played one Nintendo game in my entire life that had a serious glitch, and that was Pokemon Red/Blue. What was that bug exactly? A weird Pokemon that gave you infinite items. Bummer...

I've seen what you consider game breaking glitches, and you're in a small -- minute, even -- minority there, bud. A game breaking glitch is when the original Bioshock launched without working sound on PC. Nothing remotely close to that has happened with a first party Nintendo title.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@zyroxz2 said:

I've literally played one Nintendo game in my entire life that had a serious glitch, and that was Pokemon Red/Blue. What was that bug exactly? A weird Pokemon that gave you infinite items. Bummer...

I've seen what you consider game breaking glitches, and you're in a small -- minute, even -- minority there, bud. A game breaking glitch is when the original Bioshock launched without working sound on PC. Nothing remotely close to that has happened with a first party Nintendo title.

I'm going to give you time to take back what you said before I post again......

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Seriously?

I try to spare someone being wrong publicly and you post that?

LEARN CONTEXT FOR THINGS

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

As Chozofication already stated, they need to find a way to make games faster if they want/choose to ignore 3rd parties. Their current pace is not acceptable..especially when they harped on about not having droughts..etc. They bought studios recently let's hope that's being put to good use & not mini games. As far as Wii U goes the standard is the same..Wii U came in buggy - slow OS, random crash etc..require multiple updates to fix etc.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Seriously?

LEARN CONTEXT FOR THINGS

Heapin'loadsofmad!

I found the picture to be quite fitting with you playing Mr.Bad Cop over the internet.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo held to a different standard? Yes by themselves Nintendo holds it's own studio's to a different standard.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#18 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Been content with what they've been churning out lately on their handheld plat. Maybe it's about finding a niche.

I like their first-party games but it's where developers like ATLUS I'm enjoying the game most. So, yeah, I agree that they need to step it up.

Which is easier said than done.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Jaysonguy said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Seriously?

LEARN CONTEXT FOR THINGS

This is about as public as a World of Warcraft server. To be honest, I have no idea how one would show evidence of playing first party Nintendo games without problems. I guess you'll just have to trust me. ;)

As for your comments on game-breaking glitches, there's not a chance in hell I'm digging through your 40,000 posts to back that. That's a loss in this argument on principle alone. I don't have time for that shit.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Nintendo has only talked about 3 titles recently. Those titles are Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. It makes it look like the company does not have many games. The company mentioned Yarn Yoshi, Fire Emblem, and X for Wii U, but when are those games coming out? My guess is that Smash Bros, and Yarn Yoshi will make it out in late summer or early fall.

Other consoles are not getting much flak because third parties are announcing games for those platforms. Sony has Infamous, Driveclub, The Order, Uncharted, Media Molecule's next game coming out on the first part front. It also has third party support with games like Metal Gear, The Crew, The Witness, Housmareque's next game, Level 5's next console game, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 15, Mad Max, Rocksteady's new Batman game. You also have the announcement of movies based around Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper, so new entries in those franchises will obviously hit the platform.

As of right now, Sony and Microsoft's future in the gaming industry look bright as far their new platforms are concerned. Almost nothing at E3 or Gamescom last year is coming to Wii U. Every week you hear news about why X game is not coming to Wii U while the opposite is said of the other consoles. It makes people question what Nintendo is doing. Regardless of whether you are into the titles I mentioned above or not, the PS4 and Xbox One look more attractive due to the games that will be coming out. These systems are getting support while the Wii U is not.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZyroXZ2

@gamenerd15 said:

Nintendo has only talked about 3 titles recently. Those titles are Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. It makes it look like the company does not have many games. The company mentioned Yarn Yoshi, Fire Emblem, and X for Wii U, but when are those games coming out? My guess is that Smash Bros, and Yarn Yoshi will make it out in late summer or early fall.

Other consoles are not getting much flak because third parties are announcing games for those platforms. Sony has Infamous, Driveclub, The Order, Uncharted, Media Molecule's next game coming out on the first part front. It also has third party support with games like Metal Gear, The Crew, The Witness, Housmareque's next game, Level 5's next console game, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 15, Mad Max, Rocksteady's new Batman game. You also have the announcement of movies based around Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper, so new entries in those franchises will obviously hit the platform.

As of right now, Sony and Microsoft's future in the gaming industry look bright as far their new platforms are concerned. Almost nothing at E3 or Gamescom last year is coming to Wii U. Every week you hear news about why X game is not coming to Wii U while the opposite is said of the other consoles. It makes people question what Nintendo is doing. Regardless of whether you are into the titles I mentioned above or not, the PS4 and Xbox One look more attractive due to the games that will be coming out. These systems are getting support while the Wii U is not.

Nintendo currently has slated for 2014: Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's 'X', Hyrule Warriors, and Smash Bros. With Yarn Yoshi and SMT x FE as possibles, and the reveal of Zelda U at E3 2014, I'm not sure if this is the non-bright future of Nintendo you're talking about.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo has many problems, obviously. If they wish to be able to survive solely as a 1st party only console, they need to triple their output at the very LEAST to make up for the lack of third parties, and they need to start heavily diversifying their lineup as well and also start really investing in some heavy new AAA IPs instead of this "Pushmo/Crashmo" crap that Nintendo defenders point to to show they're making new IPs.

But to do this, Nintendo needs to invest. And I mean SERIOUSLY invest and start taking risks. And here's the problem: Nintendo (at least Iwata's) Nintendo is far too conservative to do this. The man is utterly petrified of having to spend money, and that fact is a large part of why Nintendo is suffering today. But if they're not going to have third parties bear a large portion of the burden of the cost of development that would help the droughts and the variety on the shelves, they have to do it themselves.

And that's just not going to happen under this management. As long as Iwata and his cronies remain, these problems will persist, I guarantee it. I find disregarding third parties the way Nintendo has been doing to be an insanely moronic strategy that puts Nintendo under tremendous pressure and expectation to do all the work. There's just no way they can do it all on their own.

As for the question are the held to a higher standard? I think their games certainly are, but the problem is they're not coming out fast enough. Right now their overall standard is piss-poor, and that's what people are pissed about.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

@zyroxz2:

@zyroxz2 said:

@gamenerd15 said:

Nintendo currently has slated for 2014: Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's 'X', Hyrule Warriors, and Smash Bros. With Yarn Yoshi and SMT x FE as possibles, and the reveal of Zelda U at E3 2014, I'm not sure if this is the non-bright future of Nintendo you're talking about.

X will not come out in the West this year. The game is not even out in Japan. The same can be said for Fire Emblem. These games come out in Japan well before the Western market. I would not count on these two titles until 2015. I was not just speaking in terms of consoles this year though. I was speaking about them overall. The Warriors series is kind of meh. It is not bad, but not that great either. Making a game based around Link is an interesting twist nonetheless. That leaves just Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Yoshi Yarn, and Bayonetta 2 coming out this year. That seems rather light considering this the Wii U's second year. We do not know what E3 will bring this year, but it is still sad that people can name more games coming out for the other consoles that have just hit the market than they can for a system that has been on the market for a year and a half.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: most of the games you mentioned dont even have release dates...especially most of the Wii U ones...

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZyroXZ2

@gamenerd15 said:

@zyroxz2:

@zyroxz2 said:

@gamenerd15 said:

X will not come out in the West this year. The game is not even out in Japan. The same can be said for Fire Emblem. These games come out in Japan well before the Western market. I would not count on these two titles until 2015. I was not just speaking in terms of consoles this year though. I was speaking about them overall. The Warriors series is kind of meh. It is not bad, but not that great either. Making a game based around Link is an interesting twist nonetheless. That leaves just Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Yoshi Yarn, and Bayonetta 2 coming out this year. That seems rather light considering this the Wii U's second year. We do not know what E3 will bring this year, but it is still sad that people can name more games coming out for the other consoles that have just hit the market than they can for a system that has been on the market for a year and a half.

Actually, people can't name more games that are coming to other consoles than the Wii U has as a system for a year and a half... There's no denying the Wii U currently has the largest library of the three current consoles, and also has the most exclusives at the moment, too.

As for the future of the systems you're on about, we know the Wii U also has a 2015, considering Zelda will be unveiled this year, and most likely not release until next year. I don't think the library will dry up by 2015 like "hardcore gamers" are guessing, because we all know Nintendo doesn't announce a lot of things until they feel like it. For all we know, 2015 could already have several big projects slated, but people are sitting around thinking "by 2015, Wii U will have no games and the system will be dead!", lol

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts
@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

It seems like Nintendo gamers never have enough games to satisfy them, which in part, is because there simply aren't enough. The other side of the argument is the lack of third party support, but Nintendo gamers don't seem to care about them anyway.

But here we are in the first week of March, and we know of only a handful of games releasing for the ps4 and the Xbox One --

**For the sake of this discussion, I'm talking about AAA, exclusive - 60$ that *should* release this year. I love indie titles and free-to-play like Blacklight, and I'm looking forward to Planetside 2, but not everybody shares that sentiment.**

ps4 -- Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, and Drive Club.

Xbox One -- Kinect Sports, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4, and *possibly* Halo.

For the Wii U, the announced games are -- Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Yarn Yoshi, Fire EmblemXShin Megami, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and X.

Now, there's bound to be counters to this argument -- the key argument is that Nintendo *has* gone years abandoning their core audience, the Wii U's been out a year longer, lack of third party, not all games are for everybody, etc...

But the fact states that we're in the first week of March, and we know about about as many Wii U releases as we do Xbox One and ps4 combined, yet the general assumption is the Wii U has no games coming out, while people are still hopeful about the upcoming releases filling out for the Xbox One and the ps4.

While nobody seems to believe that more games will be announced at e3 for all three consoles, we still have a few months before big releases drop, some of them coming at the end of the year.

So, do gamers hold Nintendo to a different standard? Do we expect more from them than the other two console makers?

Is it simply because they don't have third parties to fill up their library? Or is Nintendo just not capable of keeping people happy?

**final note** -- opinions on the Wii U are plentiful. We've heard them all, already. Try and keep this to talking about only the amount/quality of releases, not graphics and online and all that, please...

1. You say AAA Games that should be $60. Yet the Wii U has mostly 2D games and an HD Remake under their belt so yea, currently they have no games cause those don't count.

2. It has already been stated but the Wii U has been a year longer than the PS4/XBONE.

3. It has already also been stated that the Wii U has NO 3rd Party support. IF Nintendo wants 3rd Party support they should go garner that suppor themselves or buy up more studios for first party titles or pay more 2nd party studios for exclusives. It's that simple.

Even former Criterian founder gives further evidence that EA and Nintendo don't have a good relationship and Nintendo doesn't care about having 3rd Party support on their system.

Link: "Burnout founder: Nintendo and EA didn't care about NFS Most Wanted"

So to answer your question...are they held to a different standard? No. But Nintendo doesn't seem to give a crap about hardcore gamers anyways.

Oh well.