Is it too late to jump in? - buying a wii u.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

So I have personally owned a Wii U for awhile now. Love the console, between it, the X1 and PC I literally can't run out of stuff to do.

Good friend of mine says he'd like a Wii U but feels it's too late to get one as he's expecting Nintendo to announce something new and release in the next 2 years.. We've been having this debate all week.. He says if the console was $150 bucks then he'd buy one for sure, whats $150 bucks? even if something new is announced in 2 years, so it's an easy buy at that price.

I do kind of agree with him and think nintendo will replace the console in 2 to 3 years once this big round of games comes out for it..

On the other hand with nintendo's willingness to support backwards compatibility with games and hardware (controllers) I don't see anything but positives from getting a Wii U right now..

Do you guys think we'll see a new Nintendo console announced in the next little while (besides handhelds) and is it still too expensive and too late to jump in at this point? When we could wait untiil the next console and hope for backwards compatibility.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

In my opinion, now's' the best time to jump in. You are right, they likely will release a new console in 2-3 years, but I don't see why you would want to wait THAT long for it to become cheap. That's just crazy- life's too short and he'll miss out on too many games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDH2NsBUw8&feature=youtu.be Just show him this video. << Links aren't working for me, so just copy and paste it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think now is a pretty good time. There has been the price drop as well as various bundles to choose from, and not to mention a pretty solid library now.

And if you're still not sure, you can't go wrong with a refurbished Wii U for $200:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

Maybe a slightly better time is to just wait until the Christmas period to see if any new deals/bundles come out. At that point, it'd be a great time to jump in (even if no new deals do come on offer at the time).

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Bishop1310: Just tell him to get the refurbished model Its only $200 and it comes with a game. Thats cheaper than a launch Wii.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

this is a great time to get a wii u.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I think Nintendo will keep the system going longer than that, I'm thinking it's got 3-4 years before Nintendo will release a successor.

Personally, I think the system is finally worth owning, you have a bunch of worthwhile games out right now including Hyrule Warriors, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, DKC: Tropical Freeze, MK8, New Super Mario Bros U+ Luigi U. Later this year you have Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros and Captain Toad, and next year and beyond you have Zelda U, Xenoblade Chronicle X, Star Fox, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby & the Rainbow Curse to name a few.

Also you have the start of Amiibo, which I think is another way of Nintendo trying to expand the life of the Wii U, so yeah, I think now is a great time to jump in on Wii U, and honestly this is the first time since the systems launch that I personally have been excited to own the system.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

No it is not too late to get a Wii U console. It is 2 years old this November 18 2014. So there is a lot of games by this point. Nintendo may release a new console in the next 3 years. But that would be a normal console cycle The Wii U is worth getting, but are you holding out for the console to reach the $250.00 price point? If so you should know that you can get a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo directly for $200.00 and it comes with a copy of Nintendoland.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:

No it is not too late to get a Wii U console. It is 2 years old this November 18 2014. So there is a lot of games by this point. Nintendo may release a new console in the next 3 years. But that would be a normal console cycle The Wii U is worth getting, but are you holding out for the console to reach the $250.00 price point? If so you should know that you can get a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo directly for $200.00 and it comes with a copy of Nintendoland.

yup. This ^

I ordered one today. $200 is a pittance for the best console exclusives this generation.

johnnycage55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnnycage55
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I don't believe it is too late and I don't own the console yet. I haven't gotten a Wii U yet just because I've been tight for cash for ages now, but I'll definitely get one before the year is out, all of the games that are out now and will be out in the future seem too cool to pass up.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

It's best days are ahead of it. 2015 should be phenomenal.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Yes buy one considering the wii u turning 2 years old this november so we should expect it to stayon the market for 4 more years

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

There is no Wii U successor till 2017-2018.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Bishop1310: Mario is out , Kart is out , Smash around the corner and soon or later Zelda is coming. Now is the time imho. Great games for Nintendo fans. If you are a fan then dont think about it. Go for it.

kye-mc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 kye-mc
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

I'm ordering mine with smash bros on october 5th. I'm getting the basic model as you can use a flash drive to store games and other things on I believe. The basic model is really cheap if you look thoroughly on the internet, my next game after smash will be kart. I got a ps4 last Christmas and its ok but there is too many guns in every game that gets released, its just over saturated and bland to me lately. I want fun out of gaming not dramatical experiences all the time either, I love my ps4 but unique/fun games are rare nowadays in triple a releases. I hope the wii u is as fun as the gamecube was, it was refreshing switching between that and the ps2.

I think it is the best time to get a Wii U right now, 2015 is going to be its biggest year probably with zelda coming out. I'm excited!

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By RetroManHD
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@kye-mc: you hit the nail on the head right there. I too own a ps4 and whilst I do like my multiplayer, open world, over the top action games, I do miss my arcade, fun times! It would be a nice, refreshing change if I got a wii u with MK8 and Mario Maker to fall back on.

Edit: I noticed this was 1 year 8 days ago, I missed the 1 year bit lol

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

@retromanhdbe practicing his necromancy on these forums

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@retromanhd: Reviving old threads is bad, M'kay.

-Locked-