I like both Sonic AND Mario.

• 41 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Yeah. 2 bad games and Sonic is dead... nonsense. Might as well say Donkey Kong is dead too.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
If Sonic Unleashed is as incredible as people are hoping, then odds are the Hedgehog will be forgiven for most of his past blunders. I think the reason Mario hasn't fallen victim to the same terrible games Sonic has is because there's only been one true Mario platformer released each generation since games went 3-D. The games have a lot of time put into them, and most Sonic games just wind up being rushed. Sega's mascot still rocks on the DS, and Sonic Chronicles looks great, but he hasn't produced a truly great 3-D game yet, just a couple, at most, that some people thought were good (including Sonic and the Secret Rings). A 2.5-D Sonic game, like I think Sonic Unleashed will be, should be as great as the great DS titles that stick to Sonic's 2-D roots.
remblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 remblade
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

I gotta say my faith in the blue hedgehog is coming back. I recently picked up Sonic and the secret rings and it's not bad at all and today I picked up Sonic Rush for the DS and so far it rocks I might have to pick up sonic rush adventure when I'm done with it.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Sonic had a lot more than 2 bad games. There hasn't been a 3D Sonic game released yet that did the series justice. Even the Rush games don't hold up to the games on the Genesis. Sonic peaked in the early 90's and has been in freefall ever since.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Sega milked the sonic franchise so much, is ridiculous to see a sonic game every year.

btw sonic is no way near dead, how many copies sold MASATOG??? :P

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Sega milked the sonic franchise so much, is ridiculous to see a sonic game every year.

btw sonic is not dead, how many copies sold MASATOG??? :P

shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shark2k6
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

The thing is, all of Sonic's recent games have been fairly good at best, while the handful of 3D Mario platformers have all been excellent.

Sonic Unleashed is looking better so far, but Sonic Team is really scaring me with the "werewolf Sonic" thing, because when Sonic team strays from a good formula, they usually screw it up.

XKing2

As stated before, that's because Mario usually only has ONE actual platformer per recent console, and Sonic Team tries to squeeze in Numerous games per platform. On the Dreamcast, they started production on SA2, almost immediatly after SA1 was released. There's not really enough 3D Mario platformers for a handful. There's only three, at the top of my head-

Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy.

But I completely agree with you on the second part.

But think about how long it takes for a Mario game to come out. Nintendo puts a lot of work into a Mario game to make sure that it is a good as possible. We do not know how long sonic team actually worked on SA, but we do know they put at most 2 years work on SA 2, probably a little less. That is way less than Nintendo puts into a Mario game, which is why only one Mario game usually comes out per console.

-Shark2k

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 m_machine024
Sonic had a lot more than 2 bad games. There hasn't been a 3D Sonic game released yet that did the series justice. Even the Rush games don't hold up to the games on the Genesis. Sonic peaked in the early 90's and has been in freefall ever since.Rocky32189
Sonic games aren't as great as they used to be but doesn't mean that they are bad.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I love them both. Sonic Spinball was the first game I ever owned (it was bundled with my Genesis) and I got the original Sonic game next. I loved playing them. So I'm always going to like Sonic, but I have enjoyed the Mario games lately more than the Sonic ones (besides SA1 & 2). It's a toss up to say who I actually like more.

In Brawl though, Sonic > Mario. No doubt.

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Yes yes, both of these guys make a living by jumping on countless enemies :P

Avatar image for TheLordRagnarok
TheLordRagnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheLordRagnarok
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

I guess you've got a point... There's really only 2 games that get marched out in the "Sonic is Dead!" posts. (Shadow the Hedgehog & Sonic the Hedgehog Next-Gen). And I agree Sonic Heroes may not have been as good as the 2D games, but it wasn't like a constant kick to the balls in terms of gameplay...

As for the Mario side of the argument, I notice they do only release 1 "real" 3D Mario game for each generation of consoles... But these usually have more time put into them (As JAB991 said).

By the way, I know the "nerdy fox" is Tails, but who's the "nearly extinct species"?

Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
shut up go plumber die hedgehog
nesswiigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nesswiigo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i'm a (BIG) Mario & Sonic fan i like mario and sonic (50 / 50) they got to do a mario sonic 2 to 4p game with the ds and wii like link 4swords and i little kirby superstar and mario party in 2 you know 6 in 1 but do 20 in 1 game do a big adventure mode 1 to 4p and a party mode and a race and add some characters to unlock and do to game 1 4 wii and 1 4 ds but not like sage superstart tennis and a 2d 3d mode in the adventure mode like super paper mario and big bosses nintendo and sage / sonic team got 2 do a (super BIG game) THAT HITS AND KICKS SO HARD YOU CAN'T TALK FOR WEEKS
TheLordRagnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheLordRagnarok

shut up go plumber die hedgehogRuhdezee

Wanker...

TheLordRagnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheLordRagnarok

Wanker

i'm a (BIG) Mario & Sonic fan i like mario and sonic (50 / 50) they got to do a mario sonic 2 to 4p game with the ds and wii like link 4swords and i little kirby superstar and mario party in 2 you know 6 in 1 but do 20 in 1 game do a big adventure mode 1 to 4p and a party mode and a race and add some characters to unlock and do to game 1 4 wii and 1 4 ds but not like sage superstart tennis and a 2d 3d mode in the adventure mode like super paper mario and big bosses nintendo and sage / sonic team got 2 do a (super BIG game) THAT HITS AND KICKS SO HARD YOU CAN'T TALK FOR WEEKSnesswiigo

What the Hell. Use sentences.

nesswiigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nesswiigo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
ok ok do you see that dot. all i got 2 say is that. they got 2 make a (BIG). Mario & Sonic game but more.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
I like them both to, but that doesnt mean I like both of their games.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Haha, I got made fun of in logic class the other day for this exact topic.

In my mind it's as simple as this:

All Mario games are good

Most Sonic games are good

Conclusion: Mario is better than Sonic.

Obviously grossly over generalized, but you get the point.

Anyway, Sonic's just had a very hard time adjusting to 3-D. And as many of you already said, Nintendo takes time and care with Mario's titles. Mario for NES was released in Japan almost 3 years before NA received it. Giving them plenty of time to make Super Mario 3. Snes only had Mario World, 64 with Mario 64, etc.

Sonic's newest titles seem to show up 2 or 3 times a year, looking re-hashed or gimmicky. Of course they're lacking, no ones putting any real work into them. I liked Secret Rings, but in comparison to Galaxy it was garbage with bad control issues.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Sonic has been nowhere as relevant as Mario in many aspects, and specially in game design.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 m_machine024
Good to know now shut it.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 m_machine024

Good to know now shut it.

/threadXKing2
But it's your thread... -__-

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#34 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Both of their game series are extremely fun. But the thing is that Sonic had TWO bad games and an outspoken group of Nintendo fans are going all crazy about it, despite the fact that Mario had no real games besides Mario Galaxy (Which was a cool type of epic, but a bit overrated, IMO).

XKing2

DK, MB, SMB, SMB2, SML, SMB3, SMW, SML2, SMB: tLL, SMRPG, SM64, PM, LM, SMS, M&L: SS, M v. DK, PM2, SPP, M&L: PiT, M v. DK2, SPM, SMG.

Not counting spin-offs, re-releses, etc.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k_smoove

Both of their game series are extremely fun. But the thing is that Sonic had TWO bad games and an outspoken group of Nintendo fans are going all crazy about it, despite the fact that Mario had no real games besides Mario Galaxy (Which was a cool type of epic, but a bit overrated, IMO).

XKing2

DK, MB, SMB, SMB2, SML, SMB3, SMW, SML2, SMB: tLL, SMRPG, SM64, PM, LM, SMS, M&L: SS, M v. DK, PM2, SPP, M&L: PiT, M v. DK2, SPM, SMG.

Not counting sports spin-offs, re-releses, etc.

Sonic games come may come out more often, but they never do as well as Mario games (Must I mention the GR averages?). Quality > quantity

No matter what your opinion is, it's a fact that true Mario games get better ratings than true Sonic games.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k_smoove

i'm a (BIG) Mario & Sonic fan i like mario and sonic (50 / 50) they got to do a mario sonic 2 to 4p game with the ds and wii like link 4swords and i little kirby superstar and mario party in 2 you know 6 in 1 but do 20 in 1 game do a big adventure mode 1 to 4p and a party mode and a race and add some characters to unlock and do to game 1 4 wii and 1 4 ds but not like sage superstart tennis and a 2d 3d mode in the adventure mode like super paper mario and big bosses nintendo and sage / sonic team got 2 do a (super BIG game) THAT HITS AND KICKS SO HARD YOU CAN'T TALK FOR WEEKSnesswiigo

Please make sense when you type, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I've never really cared one way or another for the Sonic series, despite being my first game ever (the original Sonic, that is).

metallicafan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 metallicafan14
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts
i just purchased sonic 3 on vc,it rocks.they need to make a next gen2-d sonic,i also love mario,but ive always looked at sonic as a mario wannabe,but he rocks in ssbb
trumpettruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trumpettruck
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

Mario had no real games besides Mario Galaxy

XKing2

it was then that this post lost all credibility...

BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

mario doesn't really intrigue me anymore. galaxy was very overrated and I didnt get into it at all. super mario 64 on the other hand was amazing. sonic adventure was amazing but after that sonic just went down the drain. it sucks because sonic games have soo much potential and i like how he does more than just jump on enemies heads to kill them (cough).

I dont rag on sonic games because truly prefer him over mario but sega just hasnt been doing him any justice. its good to see sega devs from 3 contintents working together to restore the good name of sonic.

BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

mario doesn't really intrigue me anymore. galaxy was very overrated and I didnt get into it at all. super mario 64 on the other hand was amazing. sonic adventure was amazing but after that sonic just went down the drain. every game had extra character to pick from and that took away from sonic. it sucks because sonic games have soo much potential and i like how he does more than just jump on enemies heads to kill them (cough).

I dont rag on sonic games because truly prefer him over mario but sega just hasnt been doing him any justice. its good to see sega devs from 3 contintents working together to restore the good name of sonic.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

mario doesn't really intrigue me anymore. galaxy was very overrated and I didnt get into it at all. super mario 64 on the other hand was amazing. sonic adventure was amazing but after that sonic just went down the drain. every game had extra character to pick from and that took away from sonic. it sucks because sonic games have soo much potential and i like how he does more than just jump on enemies heads to kill them (cough).

BrooklynHotBoy

You should play Sonic and the Secret Rings. It's a great game with insane speeds and good platforming. The game improves the more skills and such that you get.

Swixer-Swaxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Swixer-Swaxer
Member since 2008 • 582 Posts

Yeah. 2 bad games and Sonic is dead... nonsense. Might as well say Donkey Kong is dead too.m_machine024

Donkey Kong IS dead he climbed up a really high tree got unruley, let go and...you get the picture

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k_smoove
[QUOTE="XKing2"]

trumpettruck

Exactly. Biased post ftl.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 k_smoove
[QUOTE="XKing2"]

trumpettruck

Exactly. Biased "unbiased" thread ftl.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="trumpettruck"][QUOTE="XKing2"]

k_smoove

Exactly. Biased "unbiased" thread ftl.

Owned ^__^