Holy Cow! IGN NVC rips Nintendo!

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

taken from another site, the summary of the new podcast

Paraphrasing some of what is being said:

-Wii sucks because PS3/360 have achievements.
-Achievements are an innovation as big as motion controls. Achievements are a better innovation than motion controls.
-When you play Wii games, you do not feel any accomplishment.
-Mad World is awesome, it would have sold if it had achievements and social networking.
-Wants the Miis to copy Avatars in having clothes.
-Mentions Wii Sports Resort and other games by saying it has achievements in it. But says it doesn't matter because the achievements do not go 'beyond the game'.
-Mention people in the comments defending Nintendo. "Nintendo fanboys have brainwashed themselves." IGN staff then mocks Nintendo fans by pretending to be brainwashed: "I don't want achievements!" "I don't want HD!" "I don't want to just sit on the couch and just play!" "I don't want to get up and wave my arms!"
-Quote: "Turning on my Wii is a very lonely experience" because Wii doesn't have some Xbox Live system.
-"I don't know anyone in the Bay area who doesn't live with a room-mate." (Not sure I want to interpret that…)
-Podcast then switches to talking about Cassamassina's "Nintendo is lazy" column.
-Talks about how Gamecube Nintendo used to push big huge games with cutting edge graphics.
-Says Nintendo stopped doing this because they couldn't compete. (No mention of Blue Ocean Strategy.)
-"Wii has been phenomenally successful, but it is the first Nintendo console I do not want to play." "A great example of this would be the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii."
-Mario 5 doesn't set the world on fire in how it uses the Wii. It is just "Here's the game!"
-Call Mario 5 a DS port. "Nintendo just took everything that worked on the DS and just put it on the Wii."
-"That is how Nintendo has been so financially successful."
-Says there was no money put into Mario 5. No money for Research and Development.
-Wii is a Gamecube with a new peripheral.
-Nintendo has given up the battle of the epic games to Microsoft and Sony. "Absolutely," replies another.
-Nintendo doesn't care to enter the battle of Microsoft and Sony. "And I think it is hurting them in the long run."
-Nintendo needs to go after the hardcore. One person says their mom has a Wii and hasn't bought a game for it.
-One person used his Mom's Wii, puts in the new Mario game, declares the Wii controllers are all dead, then updates the Wii's firmware. Then says he updates the firmware yet again.
-Craig Harris: Mario Galaxy is epic because of its story (as well as its texture mapping and cutscenes). However, Galaxy isn't as good as games on the HD Twins because games on the HD Twins have more epic stories.
-Craig Harris isn't happy how people accept what Nintendo is doing by not putting epic stories into their games. "Link doesn't talk!"
-Craig Harris after demanding that Nintendo games have voice acting: "I really want to play games like Uncharted 2 on the Wii."
-"Assassin's Creed 2 feels like a Mature Zelda game."
-Craig Harris: "I know video games are in the money making business. But companies like Microsoft and Sony are doing certain things and if Nintendo is going to sit back and relax…"
-"They're betting that the casual market will be there forever."
-Nintendo is doomed because Wii is going to become like the N64. Sony is going to sneak up through them.
-"Wii totally reminds me of how it is used in casual households is like the crappy systems you see in Walgreens when you are checking out. Plug and play guitars!" "It's like a little gimmick when you want to do something with it."
-Keeps attacking the "casual audience".
-Likens the "casual players" to what caused the Atari crash in 1983 (not joking, they said it).
-Says Nintendo is where it is at the end of the latter SNES days where Nintendo is sitting comfortably and getting ready to make the N64. Says Nintendo will fall once Sony Wand and Microsoft Natal get released.
-Mentions an email where it asks Cassamassina, "Why don't you go after Nintendo for being lazy with Mario Galaxy? It is, after all, tons of recycled content with purple coins and all." They say this doesn't count since "all games have that."
-Start bashing Phantom Hourglass.
-Says Wii is best when emulating the PC. "like games as World of Goo."
-Says if you are a new consumer looking for motion control, you will be wowed by Natal and Wand.
-Say they like Wand because they actually hold it.
-Others say they are skeptical of both Natal and Wand since they are copying what Nintendo is doing.
-Another email says NSMB Wii is being knocked more than it should. Is annoyed people are bashing the side scroller. They disagree with the email and says Nintendo didn't do anything with Mario 5 except putting out a red box.
-In a Japanese magazine, Miyamoto says he wanted the gameplay to be the same for all four characters in Mario 5.
-Reads an email who says that Mario 5 was scored too high by IGN and should be below an 8.
-Says Gamecube was a hardcore system (I thought it was a kiddy system?)
-Starts bashing Animal Crossing Wii and Wii Music.
-"What is the point of complaining?" says an email. "Because we got tons of comments and tons of traffic," answers Harris. This is perhaps why this podcast is so intentionally bad.
-Bashes the Quarter 1 release schedule from Nintendo.
-Talk about their favorite Wii games. Mention Mario Kart Wii and Boom Blox.
-Doesn't know why Excitebots isn't selling.
-Harris admits he thinks Mario 5 is one of the top games for the system (odd for bashing it so much earlier in this podcast)
-One email asks if Blaster Master sells well on VC, will it get a sequel? (Doesn't appear they answer this.)
-Says no one will try a VC game they haven't played.
-Email complains about how Daemon's WiiWare reviews all complain about leaderboards not being online.
-Tells developers, who might be listening, that it is 2010 that they should only put arcade games with online leaderboards.
-Email asks if Project Hammer being resurrected with Motion Plus. No answer, just hyena sounds as they laugh at their own jokes you can't make out.

ouch

Thats a lot of bashing the Wii. I understand their opinions but they don't even sound excited about their jobs, i guess they are critics, so they aren't selling anything but if they feel this way why should they work on the Wii section?

I understand you have to be honest, and these are their opinions but why do they like the feel of Wand better? Its a friggin' wiimote with less buttons and no analog!

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
first off, thats a big post. Second... wow.
suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

I have to admit, it is true. The lack of achievements, HD and inferior online capabilities really makes me believe that Nintendo is lazy.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
More reasons as to why IGN and mostly Matt are irrelevant, though moreover a joke.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I listened to the podcast.

It is the prime example of how not to run a podcast.

They were uninformed, unorganized, cared little about their subject, cared little about NOT SHOUTING randomly or when they thought they were being funny, and most importantly did not discuss the subjects they announced at the beginning of the show.

Adding a woman did not help, adding someone who used to be on the podcast only led to him being the flamebait, adding a guy who plays games merely for trophies over his personal entertainment did not represent Nintendo, and the lone straight man (and host) was forced to read the only letter of true hatred in a way that would allow the others to mock him over the poster.

Obviously their new direction does not allow the Wii to be considered a platform. Or allow professionalism when referring to it.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

"What is the point of complaining?" says an email. "Because we got tons of comments and tons of traffic," answers Harris.Craig
Wow. How... lazy... of them. Rather than having real content, they exaggerate for ratings? Cool.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garrett_duffman

I have to admit, it is true. The lack of achievements, HD and inferior online capabilities really makes me believe that Nintendo is lazy.

suntaice
seconded. I cant remember the last time i bought a first party wii game that wasnt used for the very reason... oh wait, it was Twilight princess. It's been 2 years. nintendo is stuck in the thought that people want to play the NES again. "hey, we dont need online! the NES didnt have online and people LOVED IT!" "hey, lets start making more 2D games from 20 years ago! the NES had 2D games 20 years ago!" "Achievements? why would people want more reasons to play a game? back in the NES days, you beat a game, and you bought another! what kind of money will we make if people keep playing the same games?" "Mario? more like MORE-IO! if he's not in the game, then how will people know to buy it?" "Wait a minutes, people want more "hardcore" games? I KNOW! WII FIT! IT HARDENS THE CORE MUSCLES! that should shut those guys up!" "we made a peripheral! -OH MAN LOOK AT THAT! forget that lousy peripheral, we've got to work on the new best thing!" "people stopped buying wii's? oh, they must be waiting for black controllers" "Mario isn't selling as much as previous mario games? Lets make the DS game and put it on the wii, then take mario galaxy, recycle everything, slap a yoshi in there and call it good!" ...stupid nintendo. grow up. don't get me wrong, i loved nintendo... but they are being unreasonable this generation. the gamecube had an awesome library with games that were pretty difficult... i miss that
FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts
Never liked IGNs nintendo podcast....but the TRL,Podcast Beyond, and Gamescoop are hella funny. But it's not just IGN that bashes the Wii...The majority of other sites podcast bash it also. Listen to Giant Bombcast or the Mega 64 podcast they constantly bash the Wii, so it's not just Nintendo Voice Chat.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#10 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

suntaice
I don't think "lazy" is the word. Lazy implies that they want to, or should do, but they are just not motivated to do it. As if they are sitting around saying "OK we can afford it, the users want it, but raise your hand if you feel like implementing it". And then no one raises their hand. I find that position hard to imagine. I think the lack of achievements and other bells and whistles is not due to laziness, I think it is a concsious choice by Nintendo. However, it is a choice that I wish they would reverse.
dese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 dese1
Member since 2007 • 447 Posts

they make some valid points but honestly this doesnt bother me... im fine with my wii. it seems fairly sad that though that they used a whole podcast to rag on nintendo.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

what

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

-Talks about how Gamecube Nintendo used to push big huge games with cutting edge graphics.
-Says Nintendo stopped doing this because they couldn't compete. (No mention of Blue Ocean Strategy.)

darth-pyschosis

what?

-Wii is a Gamecube with a new peripheral.

darth-pyschosis

what!?

-Craig Harris: Mario Galaxy is epic because of its story (as well as its texture mapping and cutscenes). However, Galaxy isn't as good as games on the HD Twins because games on the HD Twins have more epic stories.
-Craig Harris isn't happy how people accept what Nintendo is doing by not putting epic stories into their games. "Link doesn't talk!"
-Craig Harris after demanding that Nintendo games have voice acting: "I really want to play games like Uncharted 2 on the Wii."
-"Assassin's Creed 2 feels like a Mature Zelda game."

darth-pyschosis

what?!?

This is quite possibly the worst thing ever from IGN, and that's impressive. I will never, ever understand why so many people just want the Wii to be exactly like the other two consoles. If that's what you want... why not go play on them?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I just looked at IGN. I think it Turns out that these guys aren't even the regulars.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

This is quite possibly the worst thing ever from IGN, and that's impressive. I will never, ever understand why so many people just want the Wii to be exactly like the other two consoles. If that's what you want... why not go play on them?

GabuEx

Because, no matter how much they say "Oh, Nintendo are doing their thing. Let's ignore them", they know they can't. The idea of a "backwards, lazy, awful DS port" (that's how game journalists see it, not me) game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii outselling what, according to Matt Cassimamisnassmassananina is the savior of video games (Uncharted 2), truly torments their minds.

If New Super Mario Bros. Wii had sold like crap, all those gaming sites would be ignoring Nintendo for the most part and modestly hyping Other M and Galaxy 2 every now and then.

StripTheSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StripTheSoul
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

And here we have IGN Opinion #5127 that I once again laugh at and don't care about.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Pfft. This garbage isn't worth anyones time. They pretty much said it themselves with the whole traffic thing. Move along folks.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't care for achievements, HD or online games for the wii and consoles in general. i prefer singleplayer or local multiplayer console games over online console games anyday. i have a gaming PC for that.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Lol, people STILL care about the Wii lacking achievements and HD?! :lol: IGN is right, it's gonna be 2010 but that only means you should understand what the Wii is all about by now. Geez, you'd think they would know but they clearly don't. Want your fancy shiny graphics to go with your fancy shiny HDTV? Go play the freaking Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii is DIFFERENT! If the Wii was the same as the 360 and PS3 then we'd have a very boring and stale generation of gaming. Oh and I only agree with the lame online service Nintendo has but achievements and HD are nothing to whine about. Hell I'd even go as far as to consider achievements a waste of time.
Stephleref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stephleref
Member since 2009 • 301 Posts

I think this IGN vs Nintendo fanboys war is HILARIOUS. :lol:

Nintendo fans talk bad about IGN for the whole year and all IGN has to do is make a simple article or podcast to massively troll the entire Wii population.

Keep it up guys,keep it up. :)

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts
[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Because, no matter how much they say "Oh, Nintendo are doing their thing. Let's ignore them", they know they can't. The idea of a "backwards, lazy, awful DS port" (that's how game journalists see it, not me) game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii outselling what, according to Matt Cassimamisnassmassananina is the savior of video games (Uncharted 2), truly torments their minds.

If New Super Mario Bros. Wii had sold like crap, all those gaming sites would be ignoring Nintendo for the most part and modestly hyping Other M and Galaxy 2 every now and then.

To Uncharted 2's defense, it is an amazing game that somehow melds so many previously established ideas and polishes them. Its narrative is unrivaled. I mean which games compete with it? Not many. It lacks originality, but the game deserves high praise.
Lucid1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Lucid1314
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

I don't really agree with like every little thing, but I do agree with some things. Some of the things they were really just scraping from the bottom of the barrel it sounds.. Such as basically New Mario Bros Wii and Galaxy. Sure Mario Bros Wii isn't as stellar in terms of production values as Galaxy but that doesn't mean it sucks (anyone play Braid before? game was simple looking and still great)

BUT I do have to agree in some ways... The whole HD thing. WHile I really don't mind that much that they didn't really beef the Wii up a whole bunch (though it is stronger than an original Xbox I imagine...). I mean Nintendo may have came out with a new controller, but so many third party companies come up with so many silly or lame ideas of how to use the thing and theres much much to many games that deal are basically minigame collections, and they all use the same types of motions as the others do. Nintendo seems like they have taken a step back in terms of gaming despite this whole motion control being a new innovative thing. In terms of quality the SNES - the GC all seem much further ahead of the Wii (obviously not speaking graphically here.)

As much as I like the Wii, my collection of games for it is rather small. It's honestly like they're taking the step back to the NES days, where you had TONS of games for the thing, but out of all them, the only good games (and ones that actually worked.) were a few third party games and most first party games (and the good first party games were the ones that were actually games, most of the bad ones were basically like NES versions of Wiifit and what not). Unfortunately a lot of NES games were awfully buggy and bad, and even more unfortunately a lot of third party wii games are the same way, the only difference we have now is that we have reviews that warn us about the broken controls and glitches.

Sure for those of us who stick around with Nintendo, we get rewarded with some great first party games, but should we REALLY have to wait so far inbetween to only have like 10 or so games that are 100% worth playing by the end of the Wii's lifetime? I have a lot of Gamecube and N64 games that i bought because a lot of them were games that appealed to me.

I love Nintendo, but unfortunately, they really HAVE dropped in terms of quality (as I and someone else in the thread said before it's like the NES days) just so they could try to make money off a group of people who unfortunately get sucked in by Nintenticles and end up buying many of these broken games (I'm of course not talking about games like Wii fit and so on, I'm talking about things like that carnival game or games that are actually broken).

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

To Uncharted 2's defense, it is an amazing game that somehow melds so many previously established ideas and polishes them. Its narrative is unrivaled. I mean which games compete with it? Not many. It lacks originality, but the game deserves high praise.thedude-

I have nothing against Uncharted 2 at all; what I have something against are people who look at Uncharted 2 and say, "I want to play that on the Wii." And I ask, why? If the Wii were capable of playing Uncharted 2, then it would be a second PS3. And what would be the point of that? One should go buy a PS3 if one wants to play PS3 games.

Like I said, I don't understand why people want all three consoles to be exactly the same. It's precisely their differences that make it worthwhile to have three consoles on the market instead of just one.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"]To Uncharted 2's defense, it is an amazing game that somehow melds so many previously established ideas and polishes them. Its narrative is unrivaled. I mean which games compete with it? Not many. It lacks originality, but the game deserves high praise.GabuEx

I have nothing against Uncharted 2 at all; what I have something against are people who look at Wii and say, "I want to play that on the Wii". And I ask, why? If the Wii were capable of playing Uncharted 2, then it would be a second PS3. And what would be the point of that? One should go buy a PS3 if one wants to play PS3 games.

Like I said, I don't understand why people want all three consoles to be exactly the same. It's precisely their differences that make it worthwhile to have three consoles on the market instead of just one.

Well where does he say that Uncharted 2 should be on Wii or did he say Wii should have some games with strong narrative? Because I would agree with the latter. There is a serious lack of narrative driven games on Wii. Some that do a decent job at narrative are Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, and Deadly Creatures. I agree with what you say, too many a time people expect incapable games on Wii, I just do not think strong narrative is too much to expect from at least some Wii games. It also depends on how good games like Metroid: OM and LoZ Wii are at telling their stories BTW just to let you all know, listen to the podcast because the summaries almost always distort what they say.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
More reasons as to why IGN and mostly Matt are irrelevant, though moreover a joke.Haziqonfire
Honestly? Is the Anti-Matt crowd going to take every chance to rip into him... even when things have nothing to do with him? Do you people even know who was speaking on this podcast? Do you even know who said which of those lines? Matt C wasn't on this podcast. Bozon wasn't on this podcast. The people saying those things were Jack DeVries (the new guy in the ruffley shirt), Greg Miller, and Daemon Hatfield, hosted by Craig Harris. Is it any surprise that they said controversial things about Nintendo? There was a huge ballyhoo when Daemon Hatfield said the Wii is stupid on GameScoop, which is the podcast he's normally on. None of these people except for Craig Harris are the normal voices on Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. For obvious reasons. Now I SUGGEST that if any of you want to get all upset and angry over this, that you had better listen to the podcast first. You DON'T want to be like Fox News criticising Mass Effect for its salaciousness without having even played it, do you? Do you want to be like the Grand Ayatollah Khomeini who condemned Salman Rushdie for writing the Satanic Verses without having even read it? We've got enough people delivering uninformed, ignorant opinions on topics they know little about ESPECIALLY when it comes to video games. So people, don't be one of those people. Listen to the podcast before you comment.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"]To Uncharted 2's defense, it is an amazing game that somehow melds so many previously established ideas and polishes them. Its narrative is unrivaled. I mean which games compete with it? Not many. It lacks originality, but the game deserves high praise.thedude-

I have nothing against Uncharted 2 at all; what I have something against are people who look at Wii and say, "I want to play that on the Wii". And I ask, why? If the Wii were capable of playing Uncharted 2, then it would be a second PS3. And what would be the point of that? One should go buy a PS3 if one wants to play PS3 games.

Well where does he say that Uncharted 2 should be on Wii or did he say Wii should have some games with strong narrative? Because I would agree with the latter. There is a serious lack of narrative driven games on Wii. Some that do a decent job at narrative are Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, and Deadly Creatures. I agree with what you say, too many a time people expect incapable games on Wii, I just do not think strong narrative is too much to expect from at least some Wii games. It also depends on how good games like Metroid: OM and LoZ Wii are at telling their stories BTW just to let you all know, listen to the podcast because the summaries almost always distort what they say.

Well, I suppose he does temper it by saying he wants to play a game "like" Uncharted 2 on the Wii, but it still sounds as if he's basically saying, "I want the games on the PS3 and Xbox 360, only on the Wii". And I just don't understand this sentiment. People make games for those two consoles for a reason, and people make games on the Wii for a reason, and I can't help but be a little confused by people who seem to wants to perpetually attempt to drag all three consoles down the same path. Like I said, why? If the offering on all three consoles was basically the same, then there would be no reason whatsoever for all three consoles to exist.

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Well, I suppose he does temper it by saying he wants to play a game "like" Uncharted 2 on the Wii, but it still sounds as if he's basically saying, "I want the games on the PS3 and Xbox 360, only on the Wii". And I just don't understand this sentiment. People make games for those two consoles for a reason, and people make games on the Wii for a reason, and I can't help but be a little confused by people who seem to wants to perpetually attempt to drag all three consoles down the same path. Like I said, why? If the offering on all three consoles was basically the same, then there would be no reason whatsoever for all three consoles to exist.

True. I think one of the main reason why Nintendo succeeded this generation was because they approached a unique direction, motion gaming. Nintendo probably assumed that both Sony and Microsoft would be developing very powerful consoles so Nintendo had to do something different to compete.

Even though the Wii may not be as powerful in terms of technlogy, it offers something different and unique.

dtshakuras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dtshakuras
Member since 2003 • 41 Posts

Just cause he said "like" doesnt necessarily mean "he's basically saying "I want the games on the PS3 and Xbox 360, only on the Wii"." That's just your interpretation of it. There's nothing wrong with asking for a exhilarating experience on the Wii like that of Uncharted 2. One can ask for similar components which in this case there are components that are acheivable on the Wii. Smoother multiplayer experience for instance. Screw the friend code. I can (and actually do) ask for a game "like" Brawl on the 360 and PS3. Are you going to assume I'm basically saying I want the games on the Wii, only for 360 and PS3? In this instance, I'm asking for a fighting game that can engage 4 offline players in such an addictive fashion that only Brawl can offer.

Yes I believe the 3 consoles shouldnt have to go down the same path. Microsoft shouldnt have bothered to incorporate Avatars as they're stupid in my opinion and its unrealistic at this point to ask for 1080p HD capability from Nintendo. But at the same time, its not wrong to expect Nintendo to do some things like Microsoft or Sony. Like better multiplayer. As I've already said, screw the friend's code. It's an annoying hassle and I know Nintendo has the ability to offer a better multiplayer experience on the Wii. It doesn't have to be like Xbox Live, but it can still be good in its own way. When I was reading this thread I saw someone's sig asking people to PM their friend's code to him for World at War. That's pathetic on behalf of Nintendo. Treyarch made World at War for 360 and PS3 and you could simply create or join a game and having random players quickly joining and then starting a game. There's no way Treyarch couldnt have made a streaming like that on the Wii but Nintendo obviously made it so players would still need friend's codes to connect to each other. I can understand if Nintendo wants to protect kids by making it intentionally hard for multiplayer experience like Brawl (I was extremely pissed Brawl needed friends code for good multiplayer but I can understand) but c'mon World at War is a mature game. Nintendo cant create a function so that mature games wouldnt need friend codes and other games would?

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Honestly? Is the Anti-Matt crowd going to take every chance to rip into him... even when things have nothing to do with him? Do you people even know who was speaking on this podcast? Do you even know who said which of those lines? Matt C wasn't on this podcast. Bozon wasn't on this podcast. The people saying those things were Jack DeVries (the new guy in the ruffley shirt), Greg Miller, and Daemon Hatfield, hosted by Craig Harris. Is it any surprise that they said controversial things about Nintendo? There was a huge ballyhoo when Daemon Hatfield said the Wii is stupid on GameScoop, which is the podcast he's normally on. None of these people except for Craig Harris are the normal voices on Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. For obvious reasons. Now I SUGGEST that if any of you want to get all upset and angry over this, that you had better listen to the podcast first. You DON'T want to be like Fox News criticising Mass Effect for its salaciousness without having even played it, do you? Do you want to be like the Grand Ayatollah Khomeini who condemned Salman Rushdie for writing the Satanic Verses without having even read it? We've got enough people delivering uninformed, ignorant opinions on topics they know little about ESPECIALLY when it comes to video games. So people, don't be one of those people. Listen to the podcast before you comment.clicketyclick

But I'm too dang angry for logic!!

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clicketyclick

I have to warn you, I'm going through the podcast now with the "paraphrased" points by Gonintendo and I have to say this is the WORST paraphrasing I have ever seen.Like, bordering on complete lies.

Early on, Craig suggested that Daemon had said before that when he plays Wii games it feels like he's not accomplishing anything or that he's not getting credit for it. Daemon responded: "I don't know if I'd put it that way" and then went on to explain that it's about an "extra little bit of incentive".

How does Gonintendo decide to paraphrase Daemon? "When you play Wii games, you do not feel any accomplishment" is how Gonintendo paraphrases Daemon, despite him explicitly objecting within the podcast to that characterisation of his opinion and explicitly saying he wouldn't put it that way.

And that's only one example.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Well when you take all those quotes out of context it makes IGN sound like a bunch of blind haters. Fact is Nintendo has been lazy for the past year and a half or so. The good game drought was humiliating for both Nintendo and Wii owners. Nintendo NEEDS to stop holding back, dig in their pockets and develop more big games.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clicketyclick

Well when you take all those quotes out of context it makes IGN sound like a bunch of blind haters. umcommon

Umcommon is right.

And some aren't even quotes at all.

Like for example, the very first point: "Wii sucks because PS3/360 have achievements." No-one EVER said this in the podcast.

This was a paraphrase of what Craig said: "we did a couple of editorials this week about the Wii being not quite as good as what's the current generation right now, the Xbox 360 & PS3" and of what Greg said: "I don't play my Wii like I play my PS3".

From that, Gonintendo decided that means they're saying that the "wii sucks."

But that inflammatory language is ALL Gonintendo's. All they said was that the Wii is "not quite as good" and one doesn't "play my Wii like I play my PS3". That's all.And that is summarised as "the Wii sucks."Really? Really, Gonintendo? Really?

This "paraphrasing" is just a very underhanded way to inflame Nintendo fans in a cynical attempt to drive up traffic to Gonintendo.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
and now i have no faith in ign too...
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clicketyclick
and now i have no faith in ign too...da_chub
Based on what?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JordanElek

I have to warn you, I'm going through the podcast now with the "paraphrased" points by Gonintendo and I have to say this is the WORST paraphrasing I have ever seen.Like, bordering on complete lies.clicketyclick
I don't really want to listen to the whole thing, so..... What about the "we only complain so much to get the traffic" comment? I could see that being a joke, but I could also see it being true.... So was that one taken completely out of context too? That's really the only thing I care about, because it would help explain some things about IGN if true.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]I have to warn you, I'm going through the podcast now with the "paraphrased" points by Gonintendo and I have to say this is the WORST paraphrasing I have ever seen.Like, bordering on complete lies.JordanElek

I don't really want to listen to the whole thing, so..... What about the "we only complain so much to get the traffic" comment? I could see that being a joke, but I could also see it being true.... So was that one taken completely out of context too? That's really the only thing I care about, because it would help explain some things about IGN if true.

It's out of context. This is my second time through the podcast and this time I'm going through it meticulously with the summary beside me, writing down the actual quotes that Gonintendo supposedly paraphrased. I'm not quite at that part yet, going through meticulously, but from the first time when I heard it without first seeing Gonintendo's stuff (and so not paying as close attention to these things) it seemed to me that they were trying to explain why they bother doing any sort of criticism at all since no-one's listening (the reader said no-one was listening.) And they pointed out that people ARE listening, as evidenced by the the tons of comments on the page. People do care to debate these questions, and that proves that people are listening. It was an attempt to dispel the idea that it's futile to criticise Nintendo. Not an admission that they say stuff just to drive up traffic. But I'll pull the actual quotes when I get to that part.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

I have to warn you, I'm going through the podcast now with the "paraphrased" points by Gonintendo and I have to say this is the WORST paraphrasing I have ever seen.Like, bordering on complete lies.clicketyclick

I have to agree with you on this one. I was actually angry at IGN after reading the paraphrased points, but after listening to the podcast. It seems like GoNintendo is trying to stir up hate towards IGN.

The Achievement comments for example. They actually mentioned all the bad points about the Achievements system. It's not all about bashing Nintendo. It's actually a good, civil conversation about Achievements.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#38 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Ok achievements, whatever, but I really would love to see if my friends on wii are online and what are they playing. It wouldnt be hard to make, it would work with Nintendo connect 24 and only a system update would be required. I dont see the reason why they dont have it, but ok :P i still love the wii!

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

[QUOTE="suntaice"]

garrett_duffman

seconded. I cant remember the last time i bought a first party wii game that wasnt used for the very reason... oh wait, it was Twilight princess. It's been 2 years. nintendo is stuck in the thought that people want to play the NES again. "hey, we dont need online! the NES didnt have online and people LOVED IT!" "hey, lets start making more 2D games from 20 years ago! the NES had 2D games 20 years ago!" "Achievements? why would people want more reasons to play a game? back in the NES days, you beat a game, and you bought another! what kind of money will we make if people keep playing the same games?" "Mario? more like MORE-IO! if he's not in the game, then how will people know to buy it?" "Wait a minutes, people want more "hardcore" games? I KNOW! WII FIT! IT HARDENS THE CORE MUSCLES! that should shut those guys up!" "we made a peripheral! -OH MAN LOOK AT THAT! forget that lousy peripheral, we've got to work on the new best thing!" "people stopped buying wii's? oh, they must be waiting for black controllers" "Mario isn't selling as much as previous mario games? Lets make the DS game and put it on the wii, then take mario galaxy, recycle everything, slap a yoshi in there and call it good!" ...stupid nintendo. grow up. don't get me wrong, i loved nintendo... but they are being unreasonable this generation. the gamecube had an awesome library with games that were pretty difficult... i miss that

Your posts have become progressively more Wii bashing. If you do not like Nintendo's strategy then maybe you should sell your Wii. Nintendo was very open this generation that the Wii was not going to have all the stuff the HD twins have. They wanted to do things different. Your comments frankly belong on System Wars, because they are not contructive critiques but only Wii bashing. If you have issue with the Wii thats fine, but to bash the Wii in a trolling manner belongs in SW.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i use to have some respect for nintendo team at ign but after they stopped reviewing games and letting other ign members do it now all the nintendo team is **** and whine they are a joke
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
clicketyclick has already given me enough reason to not take any of this at face value. At it's worst, there are some people that complain about the Wii. People here act like this isn't something 2 years old or something... You would think by now you could spot this lie, or opinion, the second someone even starts saying it and move on. As for the 'facts', paraphrasing anything instantly causes misunderstandings. Stuff gets taken out of context all the time this way and makes both sides of an argument just explode in rage thinking they have been hurt or offended for a real reason, when really it was just a mudslinger. People be a little smarter when this happens. Regardless of what the fact end up to be, you should realize the mudslinger is trash and should not be trusted.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JordanElek

clicketyclick has already given me enough reason to not take any of this at face value. At it's worst, there are some people that complain about the Wii. People here act like this isn't something 2 years old or something... You would think by now you could spot this lie, or opinion, the second someone even starts saying it and move on. As for the 'facts', paraphrasing anything instantly causes misunderstandings. Stuff gets taken out of context all the time this way and makes both sides of an argument just explode in rage thinking they have been hurt or offended for a real reason, when really it was just a mudslinger. People be a little smarter when this happens. Regardless of what the fact end up to be, you should realize the mudslinger is trash and should not be trusted.raahsnavj
That's true, but this paraphrase was a little bit more believable after Matt wrote up his "Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care" article that just sounds like the complaints of a whiney gaming hobbyist rather than an opinion piece by a professional critic. Even though Matt wasn't a part of this podcast, he's pretty much the face of the Nintendo team, so it wouldn't be surprising if other people acted the same way.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="suntaice"]

Jamisonia

Your posts have become progressively more Wii bashing. If you do not like Nintendo's strategy then maybe you should sell your Wii. Nintendo was very open this generation that the Wii was not going to have all the stuff the HD twins have. They wanted to do things different. Your comments frankly belong on System Wars, because they are not contructive critiques but only Wii bashing. If you have issue with the Wii thats fine, but to bash the Wii in a trolling manner belongs in SW.

I'm not trolling, its just a series of truths that, as a wii-owner (exclusively, mind you) I have a hard time accepting. all of your clouds have waaaay to broad of silver linings. the fact of the matter is is that nintendo has NOT been delivering the same quality of games that they have been releasing over the last centuries, and its very apparent.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Fact is Nintendo has been lazy for the past year and a half or so. The good game drought was humiliating for both Nintendo and Wii owners.umcommon

Ok let's get something straight. Nintendo is currently working all of their development teams.

Nintendo released almost all of their first batch of content within the first 2 years of the Wii's life. It takes more than 2 years for Nintendo to make a "AAA" game. Therefore, it means that all of the 2nd batch of games won't come out until some time next year.

Yes, they should have spaced out the releases better, but they didn't and now we have to wait.

But to say that they've "been lazy for the past year and a half" is ludicrous. They just haven't had the resources to release more "AAA" games in between the waves.

Nintendo NEEDS to stop holding back, dig in their pockets and develop more big games. uncommon

All of the ones they currently own are working already...

You act as if Nintendo's paying their employees to just sit there and do nothing. As if that's the best strategy for them. In a struggling climate, that is the dumbest thing a company could do. Nintendo's not that stupid dude.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clicketyclick

Frankly I don't know why I bothered doing this because no Ninty fan is going to read it. Ninty fans would prefer to have something to "beach" about IGN over than actually hear the correct story. No-one here really gives a damn what IGN actually said, as long as they've got a fake version that allows them to rant about IGN.

But for the record, and in case there might be anyone out there who actually cares about the truth here (though I doubt any Ninty fans care to get the story right... they always prefer strawman arguments of any contrary opinion so that they can feel happy and unchallenged) here's how twisted this summary actually is:

-Wii sucks because PS3/360 have achievements.

No-one ever said those words. This is a paraphrase of Craig: "We did a couple of editorials this week about the Wii being not quite as good as what's the current generation now - the Xbox 360 and PS3," and of Greg: "I don't play the Wii like I play my PS3."

You judge how good a paraphrase "the wii sucks" is of the quotes "the Wii being not quite as good" and "don't play the Wii like I play my PS3." This inflammatory language is all Gonintendo's own what can only be an attempt to irk Nintendo fans.

-Achievements are an innovation as big as motion controls. Achievements are a better innovation than motion controls.

Actually, Craig lists motion controls as the #1 most significant innovation while he lists Achievements as the #2. He asks if he's wrong and everyone says "spot on" and "I love it".

Here's what he says about motion controls being #1: "The biggest innovation in gaming this generation is definitely the motion control. Getting that working, getting ppl more accustomed to the motion controls, because that's one of the reasons why the Wii is so successful, because (a) we have some controls here that are a little bit easier to understand..." They also discuss how motion controls are a double-edged sword because they have been a detriment in a lot of games.

You judge how good a paraphrase "achievements are a better innovation that motion controls" is of listing Motion Controls as the #1 most significant innovation and listing Achievements as #2.

-When you play Wii games, you do not feel any accomplishment.

Craig said, "I know you've said this before that when you play Wii games it feels like you're not accomplishing anything or you're not getting credit for it---"

Daemon cuts him off. "I DON'T KNOW IF I'D PUT IT THAT WAY. It does add that extra little bit of incentive."

Then Greg pitches that it's not the incentive, but that he gets so much more out of it, tries things he wouldn't have otherwise. Then they discuss the drawbacks of achievements systems (i.e. some implementation is just dumb, Encouraging you to do dumb things and that's why people don't want it for Wii; it encourages you to buy bad games just to get achievements)

So Gonintendo decided to paraphrase Daemon as saying "you do not feel any accomplishment" even though he EXPLICITLY objected to this characterisation of his stance directly in the podcast and the only thing he actually did say was that it adds an "extra little bit of incentive."

-Mad World is awesome, it would have sold if it had achievements and social networking.

Because of their previous discussion of the drawbacks of achievement systems, they note that some devs may be putting in easy achievements just to get their bad or niche games to sell more. This brings them to the point that achievements may help sell niche or underexposed games.

The only thing Craig says about Madworld is as an illustration: "There really is no encouragement [to go out and buy Madworld] other than it is a really good game. If there was an achievement system in place that would get them credit for their gamerscore, or maybe even a social networking thing where ppl can see that, oh craig's playing Madworld, oh what kind of game is that, I'll check it out -- word of mouth -- the Wii needs that."

They don't explicitly claim that Madworld would have sold better, but that it might help promote underexposed games to have an achievement system and social networking system.

-Wants the Miis to copy Avatars in having clothes.

Jack was talking about Disney's D-gamer reward system on DS, NOT ABOUT XBOX AVATARS. He was talking about how playing Disney-published games on DS, you get achievements that attach to your Disney community profile and you also unlock clothes for your avatar on that community.

They're just bringing up ways that developers have done achievement systems on Nintendo platforms. Gonintendo misleads you into thinking they're saying Ninty should copy MS. In fact, Jack never even said that Miis should copy Disney. They never said anything about Miis or about copying. At all. They just discussed how Disney does it on DS.

-Mentions Wii Sports Resort and other games by saying it has achievements in it. But says it doesn't matter because the achievements do not go 'beyond the game'.

They never said "it doesn't matter". In fact, Craig says that this is the "greatest example" of Ninty acknowledging the achievement system but that they didn't go "that one step further by linking it" to a persistent online ID. Daemon even brings up how great achievements would be in old games to motivate people to replay them and buy them again on VC.

-Mention people in the comments defending Nintendo. "Nintendo fanboys have brainwashed themselves." IGN staff then mocks Nintendo fans by pretending to be brainwashed: "I don't want achievements!" "I don't want HD!" "I don't want to just sit on the couch and just play!" "I don't want to get up and wave my arms!"

Actually it was "I WANT to get up and wave my arms." Gonintendo apparently doesn't take much care even when they're quoting people. And this all was prefaced by Craig saying, "Reading A LOT of the comments, it's as if Ninty can do no wrong." They're not talking about all Ninty fans. Just a lot of the people who sent them emails, and those people specifically. They're not mocking you.

-Quote: "Turning on my Wii is a very lonely experience" because Wii doesn't have some Xbox Live system.

Daemon said it was a lonely experience because you can't see which friends are online and what they're up to. It needs a persistent online account, which Craig says goes hand-in-hand with an achievement system. There was no reference to Xbox Live.

-"Wii has been phenomenally successful, but it is the first Nintendo console I do not want to play." "A great example of this would be the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii."

Craig did not say "A great example of this..." which implies that it's a great example of not wanting to play Ninty's console. No, he said as something completely separate from what Daemon was saying about not wanting to play, "A great example would be NSMB" and went on to use it as an example of graphical laziness.

There is no connection between those two quotes in this paraphrase bullet point.

-Call Mario 5 a DS port. "Nintendo just took everything that worked on the DS and just put it on the Wii."

They never said it was a port. They were talking about GRAPHICS ONLY and Craig said, "[speaking as if this was Ninty's thinking] we've already established that this game works [graphically] on the DS. We're just going to take everything we did in the game on the DS, bring it to the Wii and you guys are going to be happy."

They never said it's a port. They are just saying that the graphics are so similar, and yet the Wii is way more powerful than the DS so they expect the graphics to not be the same.

-Says there was no money put into Mario 5. No money for Research and Development.

Daemon actually said: "they're not putting A LOT of money in R&D" and one said "they saved A LOT of money that MS & Sony had to spend to put out the next gen".

Actually, he mentions the texture-mapping first and foremost rather than some bracketed little sidenote, and the last stuff he mentions is the story INTRO. Yes, he wasn't saying the story was great. He only said the story INTRO was great, but the rest of the story was lacking compared to games on the other systems, mainly because of a lack of voice acting.

Craig actually said, "I don't have a problem with main chars not talking because I guess Ninty doesn't want to ruin what is in your head..." and everyone agrees. But they think that Ninty doesn't want to go thru the effort of finding voice actors for the other parts and putting in the effort to get it to sound great, and they criticise that as being lazy.

-Keeps attacking the "casual audience".

They've only been talking about their moms and grandparents. They're not attacking their moms. They're just talking about their lack of Wii usage.

-Likens the "casual players" to what caused the Atari crash in 1983 (not joking, they said it).

Craig said a lot of people bought the Atari but shelved it after a while, and only about 1/8 or so were actually active use. Atari made a bunch of copies of ET thinking there were tons of Atari consoles out there, but the game sold poorly because the vast majority weren't in active use. He thinks we're heading for this.

-Mentions an email where it asks Cassamassina, "Why don't you go after Nintendo for being lazy with Mario Galaxy? It is, after all, tons of recycled content with purple coins and all." They say this doesn't count since "all games have that."

Gonintendo forgot to mention that Craig said: "If they can do different things to make [revisiting the level] more fun, then I don't have a problem with that and that's what those comets were doing." Greg described it as simply "more content". Everyone agreed this wasn't laziness at all.

Why didn't Gonintendo add this in? Afraid it might destroy the image they're trying to paint of IGN being unrelenting Ninty-bashers?

-Start bashing Phantom Hourglass.

That is NOT an adequate way to summarise a short mention of having to revisit the same dungeon over an over in PH in order to contrast that with what Galaxy was doing to point out that Galaxy did it right. Especially since Craig and Jack were quick to mention right after that this problem with PH was fixed in Spirit Tracks.

-Says Wii is best when emulating the PC. "like games as World of Goo."

Jack also said FPS. His point was that the IR Sensor usage (i.e. in point-and-click and in FPS) is really great, while the motion control implementation has not been as successful.

-Say they like Wand because they actually hold it.

The way Gonintendo quotes this makes you think that they're comparing it to the Wiimote. They're actually comparing it to Natal, saying the Sony Gem is better because you hold something tangible in your hands (this also can be taken as implying that the Wiimote is better than Natal.)

-Others say they are skeptical of both Natal and Wand since they are copying what Nintendo is doing.

They weren't skeptical because merely because it's what Ninty is doing. That summary implies that they're insulting what Ninty's doing. They were skeptical because, as Daemon said, "[Sony & MS] are not understanding that my mom will never buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 because they're intimidating machines"

-Another email says NSMB Wii is being knocked more than it should. Is annoyed people are bashing the side scroller. They disagree with the email and says Nintendo didn't do anything with Mario 5 except putting out a red box.

The email writer expressed agreement with Matt that Ninty is being lazy. Goninty "forgot" to mention that. They also "forgot" to mention that the guys were ONLY TALKING ABOUT GRAPHICS. That's what the email was about. The GRAPHICS being bashed unfairly. Daemon said: "it could be so much more" and Craig said: "So much went into Galaxy but they didn't do anything with it [for NSMB] --- I think that's lazy."

-In a Japanese magazine, Miyamoto says he wanted the gameplay to be the same for all four characters in Mario 5.

The point of this section was that Miyamoto's excuse for not including Wario was that then people would expect him to fart, so they would have to figure out how to do that and so they didn't do it. Jack said, "who cares if Wario doesn't fart?" They say that different abilities for the characters would have made the game more interesting and this excuse about not being able to figure out how to make Wario fart just stinks of laziness.

-Reads an email who says that Mario 5 was scored too high by IGN and should be below an 8.

Goninty "forgot" to mention that everyone disagreed with this and defended Ninty. Craig says it's a fun game and he can't just drop the score because he thinks 'this or this should have been in it'.

Honestly, isn't Goninty supposed to be summarising what the IGN people say, not what the readers say? So why aren't they doing that? Don't want to ever show IGN defending Ninty because they want to create an image for their readers that all IGN ever does is bash Ninty?

-Starts bashing Animal Crossing Wii and Wii Music.

This is not an adequate summary of Jack saying "I love Animal Crossing" but mentioning that there was nothing new in the Wii version. Nor is it an adequate summary of everyone agreeing that Wii Music WASN'T lazy but, as Daemon said: "they could have done more, like they're using these cheap MIDI sounds".

What's the point of this bullet-summary if Goninty isn't going to actually summarise the criticisms? What does "starts bashing AC and Wii Music" actually tell us? All it does is serve as an attempt to get readers angry as they let their imaginations run wild with thoughts about what this bashing was like and how long it went on for.

-"What is the point of complaining?" says an email. "Because we got tons of comments and tons of traffic," answers Harris. This is perhaps why this podcast is so intentionally bad.

The letter asked "what's the point in protesting as a consumer or columnist when Ninty has no incentive to return to its roots" etc.

Daemon: "Who's listening, is that what they're asking? Well... I don't know..." and he trailed off with no answer.

Then Craig piped up: "Clearly ppl are listening cuz they clicked on that story and we got a ton of traffic and a lot of comments"

They were using the amount of comments and traffic to reassure a reader that protesting is NOT futile even if Ninty doesn't want to listen. Yet somehow Goninty managed to twist this to the point that they made it seem that the guys were bragging about how they bash Ninty in order to get more hits on their site.

-Bashes the Quarter 1 release schedule from Nintendo.

They said Tatsunoko vs. Capcom "should be very cool". Said Matt + Bozon are "huge Endless Ocean fans", NMH2 "should be good" and everyone is a big fan of Super Meat Boy. They kept mentioning how awesome it was through the entire podcast, bringing it up in many different contexts. Yet Goninty didn't see fit to mention this upcoming game despite IGN raving about it throughout their podcast.Goninty also didn't even both to make a bullet point summarising Craig's impressions of Dementium 2 which releases NEXT MONTH. I guess Goninty was too preoccupied with vilifying IGN to actually do a proper podcast summary.

They say that from Ninty itself there's nothing. Later they correct themselves after scanning through the list and find WarioWare DIY for DS-Wii, which Jack says sounds cool and should be good. Then someone else reminds everyone later: "keep in mind that's only the first 3 months."

Does that sound like it can be summed up as "bashing" to you?

-Talk about their favorite Wii games. Mention Mario Kart Wii and Boom Blox.

And SPM ("ooh SPM" "I forgot about it") and Punchout ("I love that game" "it's really REALLY good") and Lostwinds ("that is a good game") and Metroid Prime 3, and SSBB ("it's not lazy at all, they crammed so much stuff into that game")... oh wow, look, they actually like some Wii games -- even Ninty ones! Wonder why Goninty failed to mention all that praise.

-Harris admits he thinks Mario 5 is one of the top games for the system (odd for bashing it so much earlier in this podcast)

It's not odd if you don't go by Goninty's horrendously false podcast summary. Craig was disappointed by the graphics, but thought it was a fun game. He gave it an 8.9 and put it in the top 10 best games on Wii.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clicketyclick

-Says no one will try a VC game they haven't played.

Jack actually said people aren't buying random games they haven't heard of before on VC (a criticism, I believe of the marketing, and also tying back to Daemon's point earlier how an achievement system would get people to play old games again.)

-Tells developers, who might be listening, that it is 2010 that they should only put arcade games with online leaderboards.

Daemon said IF (!) they have a ranking system, they should have online leaderboards. If they don't have a ranking system, it's okay to not have leaderboards.

-Email asks if Project Hammer being resurrected with Motion Plus. No answer, just hyena sounds as they laugh at their own jokes you can't make out.

They prefaced this email by saying they're now going to read a question that they're not going to answer because they don't know. They said for sure not this holiday season, perhaps next holiday season. Then Greg says: "so it's coming out next holiday CONFIRMED!" making fun of how podcast summaries always twist their words. How prophetic.

That's the way of the world, isn't it? So easy and quick to propagate a lie. So difficult to expose it because doing so takes time and it takes willingness from others to read how it gets everything wrong. And of course, explaining how it gets everything wrong takes a lot more words than just making a lie does. So the lie remains and everyone believes that instead of the truth.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

This inflammatory language is all Gonintendo's own what can only be an attempt to irk Nintendo fans.

clicketyclick

Actually it's not. They quoted another source. That's what GoNintendo does, they bring news/articles/features from other sites and post them.

Slippy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slippy7
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

No matter how much anyone rant and raves nintendo still has about the same sales as the ps3 and xbox combined, 48.6% for wii, 28.2% for xbox and 23.2% for ps3 according to vgchartz. No matter what anyone says, whatever nintendo's doing different seems to be working ;)

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

This inflammatory language is all Gonintendo's own what can only be an attempt to irk Nintendo fans.

bob_newman

Actually it's not. They quoted another source. That's what GoNintendo does, they bring news/articles/features from other sites and post them.

lol, its a love triangle of misquotation
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

bob_newman

They purported to be summarising a podcast. No-one says that anywhere in the podcast. It is misleading.