Famitsu Monster Hunter 3 Review Score 40/40

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts

[Wii]Monster Hunter 3 Tri - 10,10,10,10

Link, and other link.

The other reviews and their scores were:

[DS]Bolt - 6,6,5,6
[DS]Live On - 5,6,5,6
[PS2]MELTY BLOOD Actress Again - 6,7,7,6
[PS2]L2 Love×Loop - 5,7,7,5
[Wii]Fullmetal Alchemist: Prince of the Dawn - 5,7,7,8

That's their eleventh perfect score now, the previous game being Dragon Quest IX DS.

And a portion of the translated review:

"The controls and gameplay has been refined and are pretty kind to players. Exploring the new maps is more fun than I thought it'd be; even hunting for mushrooms is exciting. Of course, hunting the new monsters is a constant stream of surprises, leaving me incredibly satisfied. The unique parts of online mode are good, but the single play here is just amazing."

eattacosAMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 eattacosAMR
Member since 2006 • 435 Posts

Heh I just found this but you beat me to it but anyways this game sounds good!

captkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 captkiwi
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts

I wonder if thats a strong indication of the kind of scores it will get in the U.S., UK, and AU or do our reviewers have a completely different take on games than famitsu.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

Isn't that the same score that Dragon Quest IX got? Pretty impressive.

tom95b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tom95b
Member since 2008 • 4999 Posts

That's very nice to hear! But I don't think they're going to give the same score in the U.S and Europe.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

That's very nice to hear! But I don't think they're going to give the same score in the U.S and Europe.

tom95b

In the SW thread on this, someone pulled up the Famitsu scores with the Gamespot scores, and every perfect score there has recieved AAA here.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Im almost positive there was bias in those scores.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TaMuK711

Scythes777

The games that Famitsu gave a perfect 40/40 that were reviewed by GameSpot:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64); 10.0
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast); 10.0
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation); 9.6
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube); 9.3
5. Nindontegs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS); 9.1
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2); 9.0
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii); 9.5
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3); 10.0

jerahmeela

Bias or not, when they give perfect scores, it results in at least AAA in America.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I wanted this game... but now I'm pumped for it!

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Perfect 40 scores have been raining this gen...

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Famitsu has suddenly become quite generous. I am not saying Monster Hunter 3 didn't deserve it but this gen we have been getting 40/40 scores from them on a yearly basis or even more frequently.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Scythes777
What you think there isn't bias here in NA for game reviews? Thats why they don't mean anything to me, hell there is even bias in previews for games here. Regardless of the score the game gets in Famitsu or Gamespot or IGN, I am looking forward to playing it and I will enjoy it.
HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

Although I'm really looking forward to this game, does it really deserve a PERFECT? Ehh, well, maybe this game really IS that good. If it is that good, I think we all know who'll be getting it first here on the West, (other than Oath).;)

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Scythes777

[QUOTE="Scythes777"]

Sepewrath

What you think there isn't bias here in NA for game reviews? Thats why they don't mean anything to me, hell there is even bias in previews for games here. Regardless of the score the game gets in Famitsu or Gamespot or IGN, I am looking forward to playing it and I will enjoy it.

Well I never said that but there is always bias in anything with games, but I really doubt the game deserves a perfect. Its just the Japanese are so obsessed with the series, and its likely Capcom could have paid famitsu for a perfect score.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath

Well I never said that but there is always bias in anything with games, but I really doubt the game deserves a perfect. Its just the Japanese are so obsessed with the series, and its likely Capcom could have paid famitsu for a perfect score.Scythes777

No different from the West obssession with games like GTA and the FPS and while no one is paid to write reviews, they are "coerced" into favorable coverage. So whose to say what score any game really deserves, thats why the score a game gets is not important to me. What makes you think the game isn't perfect in thier eye's you haven't played it, so here's some advice, stop worrying about a score, these numbers don't indicate the quality of a game to the individual.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Monster Hunter has been a series that's always been more popular and better received in Japan. The average ratings for the other games in the series have not been amazing. As it stands, I'm interested in the game, but if it comes over here and has the exact same unacceptable technical flaws as its others in the series, I'm going to stay away.

Would I say that a Japanese game is going to score higher in a Japanese environment? Yes. Did Halo 3 receive the same acclaim and reception that it enjoyed in America as it did in Japan? I think not.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scythes777

[QUOTE="Scythes777"] Well I never said that but there is always bias in anything with games, but I really doubt the game deserves a perfect. Its just the Japanese are so obsessed with the series, and its likely Capcom could have paid famitsu for a perfect score.Sepewrath

No different from the West obssession with games like GTA and the FPS and while no one is paid to write reviews, they are "coerced" into favorable coverage. So whose to say what score any game really deserves, thats why the score a game gets is not important to me. What makes you think the game isn't perfect in thier eye's you haven't played it, so here's some advice, stop worrying about a score, these numbers don't indicate the quality of a game to the individual.

Heres what im trying to say, no game should get a good review because of its popularity, but it happens all the time and I think Dragon Quest 9 and Monster Hunter 3 are more examples of this. Im not worrying about the score either im discussing it. I rarely take into account game scores from reviewers when deciding if I should play a game, I look for things that interest me.
Checari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Checari
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
fantastic score!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
I was saying the same thing, my point was that the number system is stupid, but its just a nice way for people who don't want to take the time to discover a games strengths and weakness through previews, videos, interviews and finally the review. They simply look at the number and run out and buy it, I have seen many people on here say how they only buy games thats score 8.5 or better. So of course publishers just want to see specific numbers next to thier games because a 9.5 score with a review that says "it's ok" is better than a 7.5 and a review that says "it's pretty good". I'm just saying what your saying Kotaku has done is a wide spread practice, however for what the number system was originally intended to be a game can fall into such a high number because of its own merit. Not saying thats the case here, but if the game has no technical hiccups, the gameplay does what its suppose to do, its fun, the online works, the visuals are great etc etc, then by what the number system is suppose to represent, the game is infact perfect.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

I wonder if thats a strong indication of the kind of scores it will get in the U.S., UK, and AU or do our reviewers have a completely different take on games than famitsu.

captkiwi
yeah it's to be expected that a japanese magazine finds one of the biggest games in japan amazing american and british people seem to hate them
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
is it only me or famitsu's getting soft hearted? either that or we've been getting a whole lot of awesome games.
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
I can guarantee that it wont be as well received in America...The japanese are insane with Monster Hunter Love
MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

All the 40s Famitsu is handing out lately are probably just as deserved as the perfect scores of GTA4, lol!

This gen makes me sick. Review rule : Hype > quality.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i dont believe famitsu anymore...
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

is it only me or famitsu's getting soft hearted? either that or we've been getting a whole lot of awesome games.BrunoBRS

As was illustrated earlier, the average scores of games receiving a 40 from Famitsu don't seem to be getting any lower, so maybe we actually are just getting awesome games.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]is it only me or famitsu's getting soft hearted? either that or we've been getting a whole lot of awesome games.GabuEx

As was illustrated earlier, the average scores of games receiving a 40 from Famitsu don't seem to be getting any lower, so maybe we actually are just getting awesome games.

yay for awesomeness :P
DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

im pritty sure it cant be worse then those other "perfect" games we got this gen

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Really. Now i have to get it. I heard you have to waggle the wii remote to attack. Does any one know if thats true?

alberto1128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alberto1128
Member since 2009 • 1229 Posts
Wow, that's great. I'll probably get it now.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TaMuK711

Really. Now i have to get it. I heard you have to waggle the wii remote to attack. Does any one know if thats true?

AmayaPapaya

You can choose classic controller or waggle controls.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

TaMuK711

You waggle to draw your weapon. You press A to attack afterwards. And I believe the + button and 1 button can both be used to put your weapon back.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

TaMuK711

I need to get a classic controller -_-

BTW, look at this.

Famitsu did a pole of all time top ten from readers. Let me say, Square=God back in Japan. 7/10 of the top is are all made by square. the exception are Tactics Ogre (never heard of that), some game called machi,and OOT. BTW, do you know what spot OOT got...it got 10. yes 10. While OOT may be Americas top game, in Japan it is the 10th. Take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

Famitsu hands out good scores like candy. They are the japanese version of IGN.

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

perfect score or not, it all boils down to weather they charge for online play or not in the us.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Tactics Ogre (never heard of that)

AmayaPapaya

You poor, poor soul. :P

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
So Nintendogs is as good as this game? I think I'll pass. :P
jerahmeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jerahmeela
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]is it only me or famitsu's getting soft hearted? either that or we've been getting a whole lot of awesome games.GabuEx

Since the video game industry is very profitable (after all, it is a billion-dollar industry), there is enough money that developers can afford to invest in better games. Also to mention that the industry is attracting good talent as well as using cutting-edge technology.

The industry has been here long enough and has the resources to produce quality games. We are fortunate to live at a time when video games are alive and well, not in a state of decline.

Phazon-Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phazon-Hunter
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

I'm looking forward to this even more now.:D

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I'm glad I have a Wii, I can enjoy this on release day.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

great news, i jst hope ppl buy it here in the west, its a game that doesnt deserve to be overlooked.

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

Monster Hunter games never get good scores in here or IGN, because westerners complain about no lock-on in Monster hunter... The reviewers should seriously put more time in to reviewing Monster hunter games for ANY console.

Koushin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Koushin
Member since 2004 • 1563 Posts

I think that Famitsu's standards for what a "perfect" game is and what Western game reviewers define "perfect" is relative to what games your country produces and what they enjoy. In the case of Japan, Monster Hunter 3 brings the goods to what people in Japan like in their games. Not only that though, since online gaming is generally a smaller market in the Japanese region compared to the United States, this could be an icebreaker for Japan's own market respectively. I haven't seen one game on the Wii in Japan do such a feat until now. And, the game is already a million seller. I personally can't wait for my Monster Hunter 3 to arrive in the mail.

In the end though it matters what we the consumers think is good or bad over what any individual "professional reviewer" thinks (the masses do have a bigger voice). I take to point the US Ver. of Monster Hunter on the PSP. Just take a brief comparison between what Gamespot gave those games and what the users thought. I think this is a case where the gamers speak louder than the professionals about what defines a "good game". Personally when it comes to reviews I just take Famitsu reviews into consideration for Japanese made games and Gamespot / IGN / Gamespy into consideration for Western made games. I could say the same in reverse about Famitsu as they gave Killzone 2 a lower average score (32/40) then what the Western reviewers did. Heck PS3's HAZE scored higher in Famitsu then Killzone 2 (notice a pattern?). Obviously something about the game's theme (not the fact its a FPS, Japanese play and ENJOY FPS games) didn't warrant a high recommendation for the game. I think cultural and economic differences play a another factor into this but I don't want to rant about that. :)

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
This makes me even more stoked for MH3. Hopefully american reviewers wont deduct from the score because it doesn't have lock on. The graphics and amount of depth this game has looks incredible. This is exactly how third parties should execute Wii games.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I don't know whether I'm surprised or not.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Tactics Ogre (never heard of that)

GabuEx

You poor, poor soul. :P

lol you were faster :P
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Famitsu gives perfect scores to most of the games that are phenomenons in Japan, regardless of quality. Lets wait for a real review.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS
Famitsu gives perfect scores to most of the games that are phenomenons in Japan, regardless of quality. Lets wait for a real review.Rocky32189
*forces self to put down the magnum* yeah sure >_>
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TaMuK711

Famitsu gives perfect scores to most of the games that are phenomenons in Japan, regardless of quality. Lets wait for a real review.Rocky32189

Every game Famitsu has given a perfect score that is released in the U.S. has scored at least AAA, a few have scored AAAA here as well.

What say you?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]Famitsu gives perfect scores to most of the games that are phenomenons in Japan, regardless of quality. Lets wait for a real review.TaMuK711

Every game Famitsu has given a perfect score that is released in the U.S. has scored at least AAA, a few have scored AAAA here as well.

What say you?

you forgot to mention it's as old as EGM (i know they're gone, but they started once) and still, it got what, 12 perfect scores in it's whole history?
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]Famitsu gives perfect scores to most of the games that are phenomenons in Japan, regardless of quality. Lets wait for a real review.TaMuK711

What say you?

AAA and a perfect score are two completely different areas. If we give out a perfect score to every game the quality of Nintendogs or Monster Hunter 3, there's going to be lots of perfect scores given out. And don't you find it odd that both the latest Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, two of the most popular series in Japan, game scored a 40/40? I think brand loyalty are certainly getting the best of them. They might as well just publish their review for Final Fantasy XIII right now. We all know what score they are going to give it.