Doesn't bother me if Wii-U is the Worst selling console.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 0

#1 thingta42
Member since 2005 • 6120 Posts

From Nintendo specifically because they have if not "The" Best software 1st party (and some third party) library of any console generation for a long time. And i'll always love my Wii-U for that fact. Simply stunning games both visually and from a gameplay perspective. Anyone agree with me?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Absolutely. Its the best system they've made since maybe the GCN. I'm loving the library and I'm never hurting for games to play. The best part is that it has such a wide variety of games available you can play a game a day for a year and not play the same game twice. BC and free online makes it the best value in gaming.

And something no one talks about but is just as important is how little energy this little miracle uses. Its incredible considering what it can do. It even uses less power than the OG Wii and that is saying something.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm not an investor, so it doesn't bother me. I got it mainly for Nintendo's first party games, which always deliver. I just wish it got most of the 3rd party stuff, too. Yeah, sales play into that, but a mountain of other factors do as well.

@bunchanumbers said:

And something no one talks about but is just as important is how little energy this little miracle uses. Its incredible considering what it can do. It even uses less power than the OG Wii and that is saying something.

The console's efficiency is amazing. There was a couple months where I didn't have internet and only used my Wii U instead of going between it and my PC. My electric bill was stupid low.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#4 thingta42
Member since 2005 • 6120 Posts

Yeah, it uses so little energy yet it's a really powerful little box :3 The only game i traded in was Rayman legends cos needed a Amiibo. But my games are solid. Plus it's the console that has Bayonetta on it this generation! So i'm happy.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

The Wii U is an amazing versatile console. It can do everything the Wii can do plus it has the Gamepad and high definition Nintendo games. Games I have mostly been playing are Disney Infinity 2.0, Mario Kart 8, and Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). I also have NintendoLand and Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U. For some multi-player with friends and family I purchased a pro controller. I recently picked up some Amiibos (Mario and Peach) on impulse which add interest to Mario Kart 8.

Games on my wish list include:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

James Bond: 007 Legends

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

New Super Luigi U

New Super Mario Bros. U

Pikmin 3

Rapala Pro Fishing

Rayman Legends

Super Smash Bros. U

Yoshi's Woolly World

Wii U Sports Club - Golf

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

While I do have some complaints about the Wii U such as Nintendo dropping the ball with the VC and online service; it has an amazing library of games for only being out for two years. It is already my favorite Nintendo console since the N64 and is currently my most frequently used next-gen console.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I love my wiiu. The only reason I would want sales to pick up is to get more third party support. Nintendo makes amazing games but if we got more quality third party titles then there wouldn't be huge droughts between releases and I wouldnt feel the need to eventually buy a PS4 to play Dragon Age 3 or Final Fantasy 15 when it comes out for example.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

That picture can't be right. There is no way the xbox1/ps4 use more power than the ps3/360

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Its not my company and I don't work there so it doesn't cost me any money. But yeah the library for the Wii U is hands down the best so far this gen even without the support of the 3rd party. I would like to be able to play games like DAI and Witcher 3 on the Wii U solely because I would love the option for off screen play. But even without those games, I am more than happy with my purchase, because there are some very good games to play.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

I love the games on the wii u, i don't exactly like the wii u that much though. Gamepad, home screen, etc.

Amazing games, amazing couch multiplayer

Love it.

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Hear hear I've had an awesome time with my Wii U since I got it in '12. The Gamepad is a handy tool.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nintendo must of known this was going to fail the minute they turned their back on the wiimote and the casual audience...

and if they didnt know then god help them and us nintendo fans lol.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@YearoftheSnake5 said:

The console's efficiency is amazing. There was a couple months where I didn't have internet and only used my Wii U instead of going between it and my PC. My electric bill was stupid low.

Yup, same here, was very surprise when I got my last electricity bill (electricity rates has been going up in my area AU) it was lower than my usual average of $250+...been gaming majority of the time on Wii U. Like you I wish it had more 3rd party games. :P

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It doesn't bother me very much that it's not selling well because I have a great library games,and I love Nintendo's 1st party titles. I do hope though that the poor sales don't force the WiiU into an early retirement. I think it's a great system. My favorite console currently.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I always want any console to do well, so poor sales do matter to me in that it in turn affects us. Nintendo is traditionally a very conservative company, and even more so when they are struggling. We will continue to see very safe moves from them as long as this continues. New IPs will be small eshop endeavors as we've seen, they will insist to rely upon the mainstays mostly, and there will be cost cutting measures that will be viewed as anti-consumer (not including an AC adapter with the N3DS, pulling out of the Brazilian market). When companies are rolling in dough, they tend (not always, but some) to be more risky and liberal in their moves and investments, and that oftentimes comes back to our favor.

So yes, when I enjoy a company's products I care about them thriving, and that is only possible when they sell. You can always say the business doesn't matter. It is all that matters.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Anyone that says they don't care that the Wii U is failing isn't a Nintendo fan, period.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Anyone that says they don't care that the Wii U is failing isn't a Nintendo fan, period.

Not true. Back in the GCN Days I didn't know how Nintendo was doing and I didn't care. The thing had excellent games that I bought and enjoyed. That was all that matters to me and it still does. Sure I wish they were doing better. But in the end all that stuff is out of our hands and we can only buy and enjoy what we like.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It has its faults, but I definitely spent my 2014 glued to my gamepad than any other console and enjoyed every game I bought.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well it doesn't affect my game experience now, Nintendo failing to sell consoles may mean less good games in future.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@thingta42: To be honest, Nintendo gamers kind of benefit a lot more when Nintendo's not doing too well. It seems like whenever their consoles are moving faster than free bricks of heroin, they respond be doing a whole lot of things that aren't making games. But when they're struggling, that's when they pull out all the stops and give us a shit ton of exclusives to play... Which just might be better than free bricks of heroin.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

It's one hell of a console! As primarily a pc gamer I picked up a wii u last week and I've been more than impressed with it. I only have two issues. The first is the lack of support in stores. Even in game stores there are only a few games, meaning I've had to buy everything online. Not a big issue but annoying when I've fancied picking a game up after work and can't because it's not on sale anywhere. My other issue is that there are too many games I want to play, including wii games. I downloaded a few demos to see which games I'd like the most and it just so happens I like all of them.. every single one I played is like a breath of fresh air. It's gonna cause a massive dent in my wallet plus i might become anti social over the next month.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@thingta42: To be honest, Nintendo gamers kind of benefit a lot more when Nintendo's not doing too well. It seems like whenever their consoles are moving faster than free bricks of heroin, they respond be doing a whole lot of things that aren't making games. But when they're struggling, that's when they pull out all the stops and give us a shit ton of exclusives to play... Which just might be better than free bricks of heroin.

I would love to know where this silly theory came from... To say that Nintendo does more when their consoles are struggling is just plain false; their most successful consoles are also the ones where Nintendo has released the most games. Just look at the first party software lineups for the NES and Wii and then compare them to the rest of the consoles, and it becomes obvious that Nintendo develops more games when it is working with a platform that can move software effectively. Sure, you can make the argument that with less successful consoles, Nintendo has been more focused on its established franchises, but as @MirkoS77 pointed out, it's because Nintendo plays things very safe when things are not going so well. In the case of the Wii U, not only does it has to deal with that factor, but being an HD-platform with no semblance of top-tier third party support, it also has an even greater potential of software droughts than any Nintendo system before it.

Nintendo gamers who only care about seeing the same games every five years may benefit more with Nintendo is struggling, and even that can be a stretch. There is no actual good, however, that comes from Nintendo having systems that struggle to sell to any average consumer that decides to invest in the platforms, as they will most definitely have much less to work with in the long term. Fewer games leads to fewer consumers and even more difficult times for Nintendo moving forward, and the company can't live off [maybe] 20 million diehard fans forever in this industry.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Madmangamer364: To be fair, this theory really only comes from the Wii and Wii U cycles, but at 2008, the absolute height of the Wii's success, Nintendo responded with their infamously terrible 2008 e3 presentation. Smash Bros. launched in March of 08, Mario Kart came in April, and the rest of the year was devastatingly barren, as was 2009. You can check it out for yourself, if you so please:

Nintendo Releases

In 2010, two things happened: Nintendo realized a large portion of their Wii-owners had only purchased the system to play Wii Sports and weren't buying software. The other thing that happened is that the actual gamers who wanted to play Nintendo games stopped buying Wiis because Nintendo wasn't releasing any games.

So, the 2010 e3 presentation dished an hour-plus of ridiculous game announcements that people freaked out over, showing off the first bits of Skyward Sword, as well as a new Kirby, Donkey Kong, a fucking remastered Goldeneye, a weird third-person Metroid game, and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Granted, not all of those games were successful, but at the time of announcement, they combined for a pretty rad e3 and spawned this amazing comic:

You're probably right in thinking this was all coincidental, but it also seems like the longer the Wii U struggles, the more games Nintendo aims to release. 2012 was a mediocre launch, 2013 was possibly the most rage-inducing slow year for releases, at least in the first half... Getting into 2014, Wii U's still aren't selling well, and Nintendo responds by releasing a pretty decent stream of quality titles, and 2015 is looking like the one of the most epic years Nintendo's ever had.

So, my theory's probably incorrect, but there's definitely evidence that supports it.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

If they can get up to about 20 million like the gamecube, I assume that'll be considered roughly a success given the awful start. The first year of the wii U should really just be erased from history.

The only real problem for Nintendo I think is making sure their sales figures aren't continuing to decline over the long term. They need to do something to get back to competing with Sony and Microsoft.

Bigtakilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigtakilla
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

I love my Wii U.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Madmangamer364

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: So you're telling me not only is the theory that Nintendo works harder with struggling hardware not entirely accurate, it is also incomplete and based on press conferences? That just makes the argument you've presented even more absurd. I couldn't care less about how Nintendo's 2008 and 2010 E3s were perceived, as they mean nothing in regards to this subject; people making comments about who "won" E3 and all that doesn't change the fact that the number of game releases on the Wii were on par with Nintendo's other systems in its fourth year (2009) and on, and when counting the WiiWare releases, the count easily surpasses all other Nintendo consoles. We can throw all of this other stuff what we think Nintendo "realized" out of the window, especially since the numbers don't reflect those perspectives at all right now. As a whole, Nintendo still did its most with its best-selling system, end of story.

The Wii, despite being 100 million users strong, also sold over 900 million units of software as well. That ratio is ever higher than the DS', software-to-hardware ratio, which no one ever complains about when it comes to users not buying games for. People can say what they will about Wii owners and their gaming habits, but it's obvious somebody was buying something -a lot of somebodies, in fact. Ultimately, what exactly is the point that is trying to be proven when people say Nintendo does better with struggling hardware when just about every ounce of evidence there is you can find shuts that notion down entirely? I don't care about opinionated comics... just the truth, which is not the point that is being made here.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Well it doesn't affect my game experience now, Nintendo failing to sell consoles may mean less good games in future.

totally agree, it doesn't affect me other than the fact the low sales and poor hardware are keeping tons of good games away...if it had comparable hardware/sales it would be by far the best system (exclusives plus 3rd party)

Sorry I love the Wii U but I also love Dragon Age, Mordor, Diablo 3, ect.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

No it doesn't bother me that the Wii U is the 8th Generation worst selling console. Since I have a PlayStation 4 and Xbox one to enjoy the games that will not be coming to Wii U. Mostly the Wii U is for Nintendo's first party software. The Wii U third party support is basically Nil. For the years 2015,2016,2017.

Currently the Wii U has just sold 9.2 million units. Putting it in Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, NEC TurboGrahx/PC Engine lifetime sales. But Nintendo can survive the Lean times which is what the Wii U 8th generation performance has been thus far.

So as long as you have another console, Xbox one, PS4 or PC in addition to Wii U then you will be fine.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Collie_Lover

Last gen global sales of consoles:

Wii 101m

PS3 84m

Xbox 360 84m

269m consoles sold total

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation)

If all three had sold equally, the number would be 90m.

Assumptions on the forums:

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have a complete library at launch.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of games per month released for its lifespan.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it is not more powerful than the other consoles.

All consoles in the same gen should be equal in power.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have all of the on-line functionality of the other consoles.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have an equal amount of m-rated games compared to the other consoles.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of first party titles.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of exclusives.

Console x is failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of first party exclusives.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of multi-platform games.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have full third party support.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t have x amount of third party exclusives.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it doesn’t outperform a top of the line computer.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it isn’t first place in sales.

Console x is failure/doomed if it doesn’t sale 100m every generation.

Console x is a failure/doomed if it is in last place in sales.

Console x is a failure/doomed if… (insert other standard for perfection)

I just want everyone to know that these are not my beliefs. I am happy with the Wii U.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Madmangamer364: Wow, you're really taking this way too seriously, I spent all of four seconds thinking about this. Relax.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

The Wii U is by far my favorite system of the three current consoles. I do not have a problem with it being the lowest seller in general because i know I am going to get my Nintendo IP which are always fantastic. The only thing is, if the system was selling along the numbers of the PS4 or One, there would be more potential for some new and interesting IP to make their way onto the system if the number sold was higher creating more incentive to create a new game for the system.

I am fine with none of the big third party games being on the system, the Farcry and Assassins Creed series for example, I do not get a lot of enjoyment from the mainstream blockbuster stuff anymore. Having a Nintendo console is first and foremost about their games. Id just love to see some developers, big or small, try new things on the system. With the Wii having amazing sales it turned out to be a lot of crap that was just cashing in but there were some new creative games that also made their way.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Madmangamer364

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: I wouldn't say I'm taking this too seriously, but I would also being lying if I said I wasn't invested in the topic at hand here. Just be sure that when trying to present a point, you do so with facts next time, not opinions supported by comics. :P

@cheesie253 said:

The Wii U is by far my favorite system of the three current consoles. I do not have a problem with it being the lowest seller in general because i know I am going to get my Nintendo IP which are always fantastic. The only thing is, if the system was selling along the numbers of the PS4 or One, there would be more potential for some new and interesting IP to make their way onto the system if the number sold was higher creating more incentive to create a new game for the system.

I am fine with none of the big third party games being on the system, the Farcry and Assassins Creed series for example, I do not get a lot of enjoyment from the mainstream blockbuster stuff anymore. Having a Nintendo console is first and foremost about their games. Id just love to see some developers, big or small, try new things on the system. With the Wii having amazing sales it turned out to be a lot of crap that was just cashing in but there were some new creative games that also made their way.

Now, see, I like this point. It's not so much that the Wii U isn't getting AAA third party support as it is the Wii U not getting the kind of attractive games it needs to appeal to whom it very well could attract. At the moment, Nintendo has nothing coming from anyone else to compliment its own software with, and from a software point-of-view, this is what hurts the Wii U the most by not having better sales. I think any dedicated gamer with respectable intelligence can deal with a platform that has some low-quality cash-ins as long as there are a good amount of gems available to choose from as well. In my opinion, what we saw with the Wii easily beats having to wait solely on Nintendo's next move each and every time someone wants to play a fresh game, as is the case with the Wii U.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Madmangamer364: Or I can do what I want because this is the Internet. :p

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I think it's sad that the Wii U isn't doing any better in sales because I think it deserves way better sales than it currently has. The Wii U has such a great library of games.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Collie_Lover

I was wondering if people think they can get the Nintendo experience by buying the 3DS instead of the Wii U? You know, maybe people can't afford both so they go for the slightly lower-priced 3DS.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

@Collie_Lover said:

I was wondering if people think they can get the Nintendo experience by buying the 3DS instead of the Wii U? You know, maybe people can't afford both so they go for the slightly lower-priced 3DS.

That may be true, Nintendo competing with themselves sounds crazy but it isn't entirely out of question either.

Nintendo_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nintendo_Fan
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I love wii U Nintendo is building up third party games a lot they got don't starve today which is huge. Wii u doesn't need that

much power and shows you don't need a big fat power consuming box to make a great video game console. Would like to see some hd remakes like super Mario 64 and GameCube games on the virtual console but I love the wii u my wish list is sonic lost world and splatoon which is releasing tommorow I don't have bayoneta 2 but it doesn't look like a good game well it's not really my style. I have to admit I kind of don't like the game pad and prefer the pro controller because they don't use the gameplay to its full content. They also used wii remotes again which is fine but not the best. As far as I know wii u is the best console of all time may not be my favorite because super Mario 3D world isn't a true 3D Mario game and galaxy is amazing !!!! Best game ever probably the highest reviewed game. And who needs final fantasy there is no point because the new games are junk anyways.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Absolutely. Its the best system they've made since maybe the GCN. I'm loving the library and I'm never hurting for games to play. The best part is that it has such a wide variety of games available you can play a game a day for a year and not play the same game twice. BC and free online makes it the best value in gaming.

you can efficiently play you not games on your less powerful console? Its a trade off between power and efficiency

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

While I do have some complaints about the Wii U such as Nintendo dropping the ball with the VC and online service; it has an amazing library of games for only being out for two years. It is already my favorite Nintendo console since the N64 and is currently my most frequently used next-gen console.

The console released during the holiday season of 2012. It's been out for over two and one half years.

Dave462a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dave462a
Member since 2015 • 142 Posts

Does it bother me that the Wii u didn't sell well.It does and doesn't at the same time. It does in the aspect that third party won't support as much as what they do for the other consoles. I would really like to see Mass Effect 1 and 2 for the wii u.

It doesn't bother me because Nintendo do have some very good games like Mario,Zelda which is highly unlikely to go to the other consoles.

In the future I think Nintendo have to make a descion do they become a gaming company like Sega did or keep on going in the console/handheld area I hope they will continue in the console market but only time will tell.

Overall I think the Nintendo Wii U is a good console.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

When you factor all the mistakes they have made, they deserve last place.

felixw1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 felixw1
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

i love my wii u