Does your Wii Remote drain batteries too fast?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FLEEBS
Member since 2006 • 1225 Posts
I know this is an issue, but unfortunately I don't think Nintendo does. I stopped playing video games for three months and I had fresh batteries in my remotes when I stopped. By the time I played again, all the batteries were dead. I used fresh Energizer batteries. I seemed to notice something was weird in December '06. All of my controllers had batteries in them and it seemed some had way less power left even though I hardly had any friends over to play. It was obvious after my three month hiatus. The controllers are supposed to have 30 hours worth of charge with fresh batteries. Also, I think it is lame that they did not release them with rechargeable batteries. It gets expensive having to replace batteries so often, and I do not like to buy unlicensed products, so that rules out the Nyko recharcheable system for me. Also, if you push a button when the system is not on, the lights on the controller will continue to flash trying to connect to a system that is not on.That can happen accidentally very easily. And, there is no way to turn off a controller manually without shutting off the system. Yeah, you can reconnect all controllers you want connected under the Home button page, but that is annoying and takes more time than it should. And also, I know that if you wait five minutes it will shut off itself, but I think that is a waste of battery power, and if you did it enough times it adds up. I have two other friends who have noticed this issue in my local area; I know this is an issue. Has anybody else noticed this? And if not, I recommend some of you leaving a fresh pair of batteries in a controller that you are not using and wait a couple of months (if possible) just to test this out. I want Nintendo to receive this feedback so that they can fix the problem. I love Nintendo, so this is not a bash on them. It's just that I sent in all four controllers to Nintendo to evaluate, and they sent them all back, and I can't see any difference. My controllers were marked ao I know they are the same ones. I just want to generate some feedback, so please post with any info.
whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
yeah I have that same problem but I'm just bout to get some rechargable batteries so I won't have to run into this problem.. but I know what you are saying.
Avatar image for the1andonlyreal
the1andonlyreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the1andonlyreal
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I got the Wii remote rechargeable batteries and base from nyko they seem to last longer than regular Double A
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I got Energizer rechargeables so batteries aren't a problem for me.
Morgario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Morgario
Member since 2005 • 2534 Posts

Just buy one of these recharger sets, I got one with my Wii at launch and haven't had to buy any other batteries. The charge lasts a good amount of time too.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5700057&st=energizer&lp=27&type=product&cp=1&id=1066095853260

I think it says in the manual that leaving batteries in the Wiimote during long periods on non-use can affect them, so that probably adds to your problem a lot. Yep "Do not leave batteries in the Wii Remote for long periods of non-use." I wouldn't encourage other people to do this if I were you lol.

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
1 set usually lasts me a month. I'm gonna get the Nyko charge station soon, though.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
wall of text :P not really, they get a good 7-8 or so hours, i keep rumble and the speaker on though.
ZeldaMAN95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 ZeldaMAN95
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
Next time you post something please shorten it (I'm not meaning to sound mean just giving some helpful advice)
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1 set usually lasts me a month. I'm gonna get the Nyko charge station soon, though.LOLhahaDEAD

I'd suggest that you don't. They don't last as long per charge or for overall life as the regular rechargeables.

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LOLhahaDEAD

[QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]1 set usually lasts me a month. I'm gonna get the Nyko charge station soon, though.Jaysonguy

I'd suggest that you don't. They don't last as long per charge or for overall life as the regular rechargeables.

Really? Hm, alright. Thanks for the heads up. :)

FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FLEEBS

Just buy one of these recharger sets, I got one with my Wii at launch and haven't had to buy any other batteries. The charge lasts a good amount of time too.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5700057&st=energizer&lp=27&type=product&cp=1&id=1066095853260

I think it says in the manual that leaving batteries in the Wiimote during long periods on non-use can affect them, so that probably adds to your problem a lot. Yep "Do not leave batteries in the Wii Remote for long periods of non-use." I wouldn't encourage other people to do this if I were you lol.

Morgario
I don't think three months is much of a long period. I can understand six months or longer being the case. But the reason they tell you that in the manual is because your batteries can corrode after long periods of time, which in turn can damage the device you are using. That is not my problem. If a brand new battery can drain in that amount of time, it means for some reason that the battery is drawing power even when not playing. That means overnight or whatever period you are not using your system. I have had plenty of other devices that do not drain over long periods of non-use. Take a normal remote control for example. They hold a charge forever.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]1 set usually lasts me a month. I'm gonna get the Nyko charge station soon, though.LOLhahaDEAD

Really? Hm, alright. Thanks for the heads up. :)

No problem.

See the cradle sounds like a great idea until you relaize that each time you put the Wiimote down you're using one charge. Batteries don't have minds, they don't understand that even though you used the Wii for 20 mins you don't need a full charge so it uses one when you place it back on the cradle.

Batteries on the other hand are charged when you need them to be (thanks to the Wii letting you know) that way you're sure that they're getting a full charge each time you use a charge and not just topping off an already filled battery.

Since batteries only have so many charges in their life the Energizer 2500 (yes that's the kind I and others use) last much longer then the cradles which also have a lower powered battery in them.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I know this is an issue, but unfortunately I don't think Nintendo does. I stopped playing video games for three months and I had fresh batteries in my remotes when I stopped. By the time I played again, all the batteries were dead. I used fresh Energizer batteries. I seemed to notice something was weird in December '06. All of my controllers had batteries in them and it seemed some had way less power left even though I hardly had any friends over to play. It was obvious after my three month hiatus. The controllers are supposed to have 30 hours worth of charge with fresh batteries. Also, I think it is lame that they did not release them with rechargeable batteries.

It gets expensive having to replace batteries so often, and I do not like to buy unlicensed products, so that rules out the Nyko recharcheable system for me. Also, if you push a button when the system is not on, the lights on the controller will continue to flash trying to connect to a system that is not on.That can happen accidentally very easily. And, there is no way to turn off a controller manually without shutting off the system. Yeah, you can reconnect all controllers you want connected under the Home button page, but that is annoying and takes more time than it should. And also, I know that if you wait five minutes it will shut off itself, but I think that is a waste of battery power, and if you did it enough times it adds up.

I have two other friends who have noticed this issue in my local area; I know this is an issue. Has anybody else noticed this? And if not, I recommend some of you leaving a fresh pair of batteries in a controller that you are not using and wait a couple of months (if possible) just to test this out. I want Nintendo to receive this feedback so that they can fix the problem. I love Nintendo, so this is not a bash on them. It's just that I sent in all four controllers to Nintendo to evaluate, and they sent them all back, and I can't see any difference. My controllers were marked ao I know they are the same ones. I just want to generate some feedback, so please post with any info.FLEEBS

Separated it a little for lazy people.

Also I noticed some problems.

1. Wiimotes have around 20 hours of battery life, not 30.

2. You can disconnect Wiimotes without shutting of the system. There are two ways to do so without waiting. Use the Home button (as you stated) and take out a battery.

3. Duracel batteries last longer. Buy rechargeable batteries and a charger like I did. They work well and charge in the same time it takes for a DS to charge.

tancred8120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 tancred8120
Member since 2007 • 7937 Posts
I have rechargable batteries so it isn't a problem for me
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

why not just buy recharable batery packs?

do you not have them in america?

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

monty_4256
Yes, America has rechargeable batteries.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
[QUOTE="monty_4256"]

nintendofreak_2

Yes, America has rechargeable batteries.

good good

then go buy them FLEEBS!

also I have something like that nyko cradle thing, except mine is GAME brand, and you don't HAVE to place it in the cradle everytime you stop playing, just leave it until it runs out and then place it in the cradle... works exactly like recharable batteries

Avatar image for Lord_Tulak_Hord
Lord_Tulak_Hord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Lord_Tulak_Hord
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts
i thought of getting rechargable batteries, but it says " alkaline batteries are the best for wii " in the manual so i use alkalines for now.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

i thought of getting rechargable batteries, but it says " alkaline batteries are the best for wii " in the manual so i use alkalines for now.Lord_Tulak_Hord

Yeah ignore that, they're just covering their butts because someone is going to buy Frank's Jumbo Batchries and leak battery acid all over their hands.

Buy a quality battery (I suggest Energizer) and you'll be fine with rechargeables.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
i thought it was only my controller your drains fast too?
FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FLEEBS
i thought it was only my controller your drains fast too?polishkid99
Yep. The problem with everyone saying "Why not get rechargeable batteries" is Nintendo has not licensed a rechargeable battery and I do not use unlicensed products with any of my systems. It voids the warranty, you know. No I think this is more of an issue than people are letting on.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

I got the Wii remote rechargeable batteries and base from nyko they seem to last longer than regular Double Athe1andonlyreal

i have that also. mine lasts really long.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="polishkid99"]i thought it was only my controller your drains fast too?FLEEBS
Yep. The problem with everyone saying "Why not get rechargeable batteries" is Nintendo has not licensed a rechargeable battery and I do not use unlicensed products with any of my systems. It voids the warranty, you know. No I think this is more of an issue than people are letting on.

No it's not, you want to make you own problems and make work for a landfill go right ahead. The rest of us have been using rechareable batteries for almost a year and years before in other items.

The choice is yours, if you want to complicate matters who are we to stop you?

FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FLEEBS

[QUOTE="FLEEBS"][QUOTE="polishkid99"]i thought it was only my controller your drains fast too?Jaysonguy

No it's not, you want to make you own problems and make work for a landfill go right ahead. The rest of us have been using rechareable batteries for almost a year and years before in other items.

Thanks for the help, buddy. I didn't say rechargeables don't work; I prefer to buy licensed products. And if there is an issue that started with Nintendo, don't you think Nintendo should fix it? I sure do. Good for you; I'm glad you have solved your battery problem, but that still does not change the fact that regular batteries drain faster that they should. I've done enough troubleshooting to know that.
Chefboyrd03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chefboyrd03
Member since 2006 • 182 Posts
yea the same thing happened to me i just used recharable batteries then charged them overnight with my dads camera battery charger lol
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
My batteries last long enough, and I have like 3 sets so I never have to wait for them to charge.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
To me it kinda varies in batteries, I mean if you use Maxell( or any other cheap batteries) youd be lucky to get a full 10 hours. On the other hand I think Duracel and Energizer gives me a good 23 hours. I left my batteries in the remote as well. Zelda took me about 42 hours to complete. Yet I had only needed to exchange my Wii batteries once, but then again I was using energizer. I use my batteries intill they die, I dun care how dim the blue light on the remote gets.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LOLhahaDEAD

To me it kinda varies in batteries, I mean if you use Maxell( or any other cheap batteries) youd be lucky to get a full 10 hours. On the other hand I think Duracel and Energizer gives me a good 23 hours. I left my batteries in the remote as well. Zelda took me about 42 hours to complete. Yet I had only needed to exchange my Wii batteries once, but then again I was using energizer. I use my batteries intill they die, I dun care how dim the blue light on the remote gets.EndlessPunisher

I use Maxell batteries, and they usually last me almost 25 hours.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="FLEEBS"][QUOTE="polishkid99"]i thought it was only my controller your drains fast too?FLEEBS

Thanks for the help, buddy. I didn't say rechargeables don't work; I prefer to buy licensed products. And if there is an issue that started with Nintendo, don't you think Nintendo should fix it? I sure do. Good for you; I'm glad you have solved your battery problem, but that still does not change the fact that regular batteries drain faster that they should. I've done enough troubleshooting to know that.

Using regular AAs has the same effect as using rechargable AAs. I wouldn't hold my breath for Nintendo licensed AA batteries if I were you.
smallcaplegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smallcaplegend
Member since 2006 • 3083 Posts
yea it does but I will buy a recharge station soon
Nanopertgey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Nanopertgey
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Now do Wii remotes drain "a lot" of energy in the battery because that could depend on what battery is best to use. I use Costco's 'Kirkland' batteries, which are alkaline. I believe the batteries I use last about 20 hours

Fuuuuureakkkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Fuuuuureakkkk
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts
doesn't happen to me but I don't play it to long (usually for 3 hours at a time and then goto bed)
Avatar image for ObebadSlapmeFro
ObebadSlapmeFro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 ObebadSlapmeFro
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

Mine drains a bar after 5 min of use of a set of NEW AA batteries and from there it lasts around 2-3 hours what the hell is goin on... both of ym controllers are doing this.. WTF! and i turned no sound and no rumble :@:@:@

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

You got cheap batteries.

Not all battery brands are the same.

Not all rechargeables are the same. That's why they know carry things like 2500mha or 1500mha. There are rechargeable batteries meant for digital cameras. Wonder why it's because digital cameras are energy draining.

Also battery life in the wiimote depends on if you have the speaker on, rumble on, nunchuck being used. Wiimote with none of those being on you get 40 hours on average. All of them on and it gets to 20 hours. Be thankfull you get 20 hours years ago you would have only had two or three. They made the rumble, speaker, nunchuck real energy efficent.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts
My batteries die pretty fast too. I had to change batteries a couple of times (maybe just 2) while I was playing through SMG. It was pretty annoying, but I didn't think about it too much cause I was playing it relentlessly.
no_one089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 no_one089
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
Ive gone through over a hundred im sure... im gettin rechargebles for christmas.
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6280 Posts
Yep same problem. I have recharable but I'm gonna get the Nyko Charge stand so they will always be full.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Wow talking about a revived topic.. I swear I dont even remember posting in this one.. July 27 O.o.
o0pIumM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 o0pIumM
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Whatever you do dont buy this charging station.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Psyclone-Charger-Has-Gamers-Furious-8046.html

I picked one up at target on a whim this weekend and I should have done my homework first. My kid noticed that the player 1 light was super dim so I stuck it back on the charger and in less that 10 minutes the thing said it was charged. Same thing, I go on the web today and find taht this thing is garbage, and I cant even find it on Target's website anymore. Now where did I put that reciept?

kona_babe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kona_babe
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I was doing an online search this morn to purchase a couple more Nintendo Wii Remotes and was also reading reviews here on Gamespot.... well your question screamed out to me "Does your Wii Remote drain batteries too fast?" because I have two remote plus that were both left untouched for two months with freshly placed duracell alkaline batteries and both remotes were not only drained when we went to use them but both remotes were dead, both of them were corroded with a bluish-green corrosion wetness going on inside. We tried cleaning up the remotes but to no avail ....now I'm online and wanting to purchase two new remotes so we might play a Wii game ...first I wanted to write down my whine
shmuklidooha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shmuklidooha
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts

Damn, just get some rechargeable batteries. If you get a pack of 10, you can just switch them when they run out of juice.

Please do not bump a thread more than 2 weeks after the last post on the platform-specific boards.