Does anybody actually LIKE the blue shell in Mario Kart?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The blue shell. It's the only item in Mario kart that blatantly punishes players for doing well. I never understood the planning process that went behind this item. It doesn't exactly help the player who obtains it as they tend to be very close to last place. Rather it directly punishes the 1st place player simply for doing a good job so that the second and third place racers get a lucky win.

This item is especially cumbersome in grand prix mode because the AI, in the later difficulty levels, automatically obtains the blue shell just before you finish the race.

I've never actually heard anybody defend this item and I find it odd that Nintendo is so stubborn with it. If they simply removed this much hated item I'm sure the vast majority of fans would be extactic.

You want to fix Mario Kart? Simply remove this element.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Mario Kart was never about skill anyways. Well, at least not completely. I don't like it, but they're not aiming for the game to be fair or the weapon pick-ups wouldn't be random and based on place.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I've actually never had a major problem with the item. Sure, it's current iteration only serves to punish the player in first place (and those who may be close enough to that player), but I've always seen it as part of the random and unpredictable nature of the Mario Kart franchise that I appreciate. In theory, it was probably more effective for the player that used the item before it grew wings and had a chance to clobber other players, but it would just as easily hit a wall and be a waste of an item.

I still recall not being threatened in Mario Kart Wii until I reached the Mirror Cup, so I never really felt the same bitterness towards the frequency of Blue Shells as most players seemed to, even as I knew that the increased number of players would mean a stronger likelihood of being challenged by one. In any case, if I wanted to play a racer where I could go wire-to-wire without much opposition, there are plenty of other titles that make that much easier. I can't say I love the Spiny shell, but I certainly don't hate the thing, either.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Blue-Shell-Stats-456x360.jpgswear-inducing-video-games.jpg?w=590.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Only the one in Mario Kart 64.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It's utterly worthless. The only time I ever get it is when I'm in the back, and then it's only purpose is to piss off whoever's in the front. What's the point of that?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

In theory, it was probably more effective for the player that used the item before it grew wings and had a chance to clobber other playersMadmangamer364
Only the one in Mario Kart 64.OreoMilkshake
This and this. It actually served a purpose when it travelled along the ground and could hit everyone in its path.

But I also don't mind it too much in the newer versions, where you can see on the side of the screen exactly which item everyone has. If you're in first place and you see a blue shell pop up, then you know what you need to do to keep your spot in the front. If it's just you and another person or two way ahead, then make sure you're going to include them in the blast when it hits. If you're just ahead of a big pack, then fall back until the shell hits and zoom past them.

Then of course there's the strategy of gaining so much of a lead that a blue shell or two isn't going to stop you.

So I don't hate the blue shell. It can be dealt with. But it would be better in its Mario Kart 64 incarnation.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Super Nintendo's Mario Kart had it right. No Blue Shell & Coins give slight speed enhancements. I honestly like the SWARM in Sonic Racing Transformed much better than the Blue Shell. It goes for first place but it can be dodged with skill and it can hit multiple players after first place. I actually like Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed better than Mario Kart but I just wish the character roster was better. Diddy Kong Racing 64 had it right as well.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Don't be so uptight, it's funny when you are playing in multiplayer with your friends.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I like the version of the blue shell that hits everybody along the way.
Avatar image for GlitchOnMyLevel
GlitchOnMyLevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GlitchOnMyLevel
Member since 2013 • 136 Posts

I dont mind it. I just slow down or if I have a shroom boost I can always dodge it. If there is no other way then meh, so be it. It can happen to anyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#12 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I wouldn't say I like it, but it's not a horrible item IMO

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I don't enjoy it, but it is effective at preventing someone from getting too far ahead in a race.
Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

The blue shell didn't bother me too much in particular. But I am not a fan of Mario Kart Wii since it feels like I am constantly getting hit items 'cause there are too many people in the race launching them.

When I see a blue shell coming, I slow down and try to make sure the people just behind me get caught in the blast too.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Then of course there's the strategy of gaining so much of a lead that a blue shell or two isn't going to stop you.

JordanElek

True. I got hit five times with the Blue Shell in Bowser's Castle playing online, yet still managed to come in first. I shouldn't have to supremely dominate each track I race though to have to earn a first place spot. Three or four Blue Shells a race is broken mechanics, especially since I tend to be on the receiving end a lot of times.

TopStarRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TopStarRacer
Member since 2010 • 5732 Posts

When I'm in last yes...when I'm in first no.

We've all been hit by blue shells at some point so I'm indifferent. It's fun to have especially in local multiplayer. :P

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
The only time that it REALLY frustrated me was when I was trying to win the 150cc cups... getting so far to lose because of something so cheap...
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No, they should put an option to switch it off...after a while its just basically trolling the guy in first place.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I like the version of the blue shell that hits everybody along the way.DaBrainz
Yeah, that was rad.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Don't be so uptight, it's funny when you are playing in multiplayer with your friends.Rod90

Honestly, it does feel like there's a major overreaction to this subject in general, especially when you consider that this is a franchises that is anything but centered on serious, competitive play. Personally speaking, I have much a bigger gripe over the advantages that certain character/kart combinations have received over the years. Granted, I can't say I've played much of Mario Kart 7 to see if this has been changed recently, but I still think it comes to show that there are issues that are potentially worse if we're going to talk about questionable elements in the series.

Honestly, even with Mario Kart Wii, if I ever ran into two Spinies, I considered it to be bad luck more than anything else. In the many years I've played the game, I could probably count the times I ran into more Spinies than that on my hands (and quite possibly, one hand), unless I was involved with an online match featuring hackers. And even then, I never really felt the frustration that other players seem to have over getting hit by a Spiny, unless someone was blatantly cheating. Considering that most other attacks can be negated by using bananas and shells to shield yourself, I just don't believe that it's really that overpowering in the grand scheme of things.

I look at things like this and items in SSB and often wonder if gamers have gotten too serious and control-freakish for their own good. In an age where you can win thousands of dollars by winning game tournaments, it seems as though any act of randomness or unpredictability is frowned upon in today's gaming society. It's actually quite disturbing at times to see just how obsessive some people are with having a video game behave a certain way...

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="Rod90"]Don't be so uptight, it's funny when you are playing in multiplayer with your friends.Madmangamer364

Honestly, it does feel like there's a major overreaction to this subject in general, especially when you consider that this is a franchises that is anything but centered on serious, competitive play. Personally speaking, I have much a bigger gripe over the advantages that certain character/kart combinations have received over the years. Granted, I can't say I've played much of Mario Kart 7 to see if this has been changed recently, but I still think it comes to show that there are issues that are potentially worse if we're going to talk about questionable elements in the series.

Honestly, even with Mario Kart Wii, if I ever ran into two Spinies, I considered it to be bad luck more than anything else. In the many years I've played the game, I could probably count the times I ran into more Spinies than that on my hands (and quite possibly, one hand), unless I was involved with an online match featuring hackers. And even then, I never really felt the frustration that other players seem to have over getting hit by a Spiny, unless someone was blatantly cheating. Considering that most other attacks can be negated by using bananas and shells to shield yourself, I just don't believe that it's really that overpowering in the grand scheme of things.

I look at things like this and items in SSB and often wonder if gamers have gotten too serious and control-freakish for their own good. In an age where you can win thousands of dollars by winning game tournaments, it seems as though any act of randomness or unpredictability is frowned upon in today's gaming society. It's actually quite disturbing at times to see just how obsessive some people are with having a video game behave a certain way...

Yeah. I don't mind the randomness factor in games like Smash Bros or Mario Kart. Though I still don't see why they can't just have options about what items apear in Mario Kart. Like in Smash Bros.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I'm not the competitive type, so I don't mind. I think it adds a layer of suspense to the game if you are in first. And if anything, it is funny. One time on double dash with my brother, we were racing on dks mountain. My brother was behind with some other computer racer, and one of them threw the blue shell, while everyone else was somehow near eachother in the lead driving down the volcano. The blue shell hit me and everyone else, it was hilarious.

I can see why it would upset some players though. A simple item option menu would make everyone happy, like there is in super smash bros.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

First of all MLG people are the ones who hate it and complain. Without the Blue Shell a guy could win over and over and over and over and over again just with a banana or shell as a shield. People who want to be unstoppable are sad. That would get boring. There has to be a way to hit ANYBODY in the game.

Without it only the MLG pro baboons would buy it. Its supposed to be a fun game. Not a hardcore competitive game. You dont need to win every race.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]In theory, it was probably more effective for the player that used the item before it grew wings and had a chance to clobber other playersJordanElek

Only the one in Mario Kart 64.OreoMilkshake
This and this. It actually served a purpose when it travelled along the ground and could hit everyone in its path.

But I also don't mind it too much in the newer versions, where you can see on the side of the screen exactly which item everyone has. If you're in first place and you see a blue shell pop up, then you know what you need to do to keep your spot in the front. If it's just you and another person or two way ahead, then make sure you're going to include them in the blast when it hits. If you're just ahead of a big pack, then fall back until the shell hits and zoom past them.

So I don't hate the blue shell. It can be dealt with. But it would be better in its Mario Kart 64 incarnation.

Agreed with this.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pikminmaniac

I'm actually flabergasted at the results of this thread. People actually accept an unavoidable random item that punishes your hard work? What's the merit in that? I'm not completely against randomness to a degree. If something random happens you should at least be able to deal with it otherwise why punish a player for trying their best? It pretty much devalidates all the mechanics they put in the game.

There's also the fact that in order to unlock everything in the game you need 3 stars on every grand prix. It's pretty annoying to have try extremely hard and at the same time know that your success at this endeavor is completely random due to the blue shell.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#26 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The thing about the blue shell is that it's a pain in the ass, and if I were playing competitively I'd hate it.

But as a party game with four people sitting around, I feel that the blue shell provides the lulz to get people screaming at one another.  I've always felt Mario Kart was just about kicking back and having a good time, just laughing and all you know.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Only when I'm the one using it. :P
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

I don't really see the point in them. They don't get you anywhere further up in the rankings, they're only there so you can fry the people who practice hard and deserve to win

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#29 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

When playing locally with friends it can be absolutely hilarious. However, against CPUs it is generally frustrating.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

The way I see it, Mario Kart isn't a racing game that requires a ton of skill to be good at, it's more of a party game, with a racing theme, where even the most inexperienced player can win with help from the items. Don't get me wrong, skill is involved. You at least have to have a decent understanding of what you are doing. All the items in the world can't help you if you keep falling off map or running into things. However once someone masters at least staying on map and running into things as little as possible, it really comes down to whoever is the luckiest.

There was a time when i was in first then got mugged by items, inluding a blue shell, and dropped to like 10th. On the other hand, i was once in 11th and got a bullet bill that got me 2nd place.

Mario Kart was never really designed to be fair, and as much as I hate blue shells I say let them stay.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Didnt some (or one) of the games have a way of dodging it? I remember if  I saw an ememy picking it up on the tab that displayed there itmes, I alwasy fell back to second and let someone else get hit, or if I knew it was locked on, Id slow down so I was surrounded by others so they get hit:P

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Didnt some (or one) of the games have a way of dodging it? I remember if  I saw an ememy picking it up on the tab that displayed there itmes, I alwasy fell back to second and let someone else get hit, or if I knew it was locked on, Id slow down so I was surrounded by others so they get hit:P

Bardock47
Yeah. Use a mushroom right before it it slams you,
Avatar image for DragonHuntress7
DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DragonHuntress7
Member since 2013 • 138 Posts
I like the blue shell, it can be very useful for slowing down anyone in the front of the pack and allowing the user to catch up/over-take. When playing with friends or family at home it can be absolutely hilarious if you send one their way and overtake them (or even the person that was losing comes up and wins after a well-timed blue shell). However, against CPUs it can be a little frustrating when used on the last lap and if you are within the blast radius you drop back a few -or more- places.
But as many have said this game doesn't require all that much skill, just your basic understanding of how to keep your kart/bike on the track, but most of the time it all just boils down to luck which is probably (one of the reasons) why this game has been so successful over the years.
SuperMoover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SuperMoover
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Yes, I love the blue shell, I wanna have sex with it.
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

I'm actually flabergasted at the results of this thread. People actually accept an unavoidable random item that punishes your hard work? What's the merit in that? I'm not completely against randomness to a degree. If something random happens you should at least be able to deal with it otherwise why punish a player for trying their best? It pretty much devalidates all the mechanics they put in the game.

There's also the fact that in order to unlock everything in the game you need 3 stars on every grand prix. It's pretty annoying to have try extremely hard and at the same time know that your success at this endeavor is completely random due to the blue shell.

Pikminmaniac
You can deal with it though... go down to second place.. or if going to hit you.. make sure it takes out the other guys as well..
DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonHuntress7

Pikminmaniac
As irritating as the blue shell may be when you are trying to unlock everything but Nintendo put it there for a reason, if the game was too easy, it would be boring. If there was no blue shell you could finish the game on one lazy Sunday. You are paying $60-100 for a game you would want to play it more than just once. It will be more satisfying when you do beat the game because it held a bit of a challenge by having the blue shell in it.
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

Yes, when I'm using it.

No, when it's being used on me.

Hahaha :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

DragonHuntress7

As irritating as the blue shell may be when you are trying to unlock everything but Nintendo put it there for a reason, if the game was too easy, it would be boring. If there was no blue shell you could finish the game on one lazy Sunday. You are paying $60-100 for a game you would want to play it more than just once. It will be more satisfying when you do beat the game because it held a bit of a challenge by having the blue shell in it.

Challenge should NEVER be a result of randomness. That's just bad game design. Plain and simple.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JordanElek

[QUOTE="DragonHuntress7"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

Challenge should NEVER be a result of randomness. That's just bad game design. Plain and simple.

What about Tetris?
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="DragonHuntress7"] As irritating as the blue shell may be when you are trying to unlock everything but Nintendo put it there for a reason, if the game was too easy, it would be boring. If there was no blue shell you could finish the game on one lazy Sunday. You are paying $60-100 for a game you would want to play it more than just once. It will be more satisfying when you do beat the game because it held a bit of a challenge by having the blue shell in it. JordanElek

What about Tetris?

That's not the same. In Tetris, you always know which blocks are coming your way well in advance (at lest in current versions). It isn't really random. If there was one block that randomly showed up every now and then that totally mixed up all your blocks, that would be like the blue turtle shell. Which would be fun in multiplayer. It'd just be annoying in singleplayer.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Pikminmaniac

That's only true if you're trying to make a really fair and competitive game, which Mario kart is not. The entire game is based on randomness with the items.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Definitely makes it more about chance with the blue shell.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Infinite_Access

You can deal with it though... go down to second place.. or if going to hit you.. make sure it takes out the other guys as well..

i like the feel of it actually changing up the pace TBH. WOuld add some tension, becsue I got to the point I would do 150cc mirror mode on all the tracks on Double Dash.

DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DragonHuntress7

Pikminmaniac

If it was bad game design, the game wouldn't be as popular as is it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JordanElek

That's not the same. In Tetris, you always know which blocks are coming your way well in advance (at lest in current versions). It isn't really random. If there was one block that randomly showed up every now and then that totally mixed up all your blocks, that would be like the blue turtle shell. Which would be fun in multiplayer. It'd just be annoying in singleplayer.meetroid8
It's not the same, but it's still challenge based on randomness. It's not ALWAYS bad game design, that's all I'm saying.

And the weapons in Mario Kart aren't fully randomized, anyway. The game is designed for people in the back to get powerful weapons pretty much every roll, and the people in first get bananas and green shells. That's part of what makes every race so fun. You need more than driving skills and luck to stay in first for more than a lap. The game stacks the odds against you as soon as you're the leader. The blue shell is only one part of that, and it can be used to your advantage or avoided just like everything else. It's just really difficult to do so.

DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonHuntress7

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]That's not the same. In Tetris, you always know which blocks are coming your way well in advance (at lest in current versions). It isn't really random. If there was one block that randomly showed up every now and then that totally mixed up all your blocks, that would be like the blue turtle shell. Which would be fun in multiplayer. It'd just be annoying in singleplayer.JordanElek

It's not the same, but it's still challenge based on randomness. It's not ALWAYS bad game design, that's all I'm saying.

And the weapons in Mario Kart aren't fully randomized, anyway. The game is designed for people in the back to get powerful weapons pretty much every roll, and the people in first get bananas and green shells. That's part of what makes every race so fun. You need more than driving skills and luck to stay in first for more than a lap. The game stacks the odds against you as soon as you're the leader. The blue shell is only one part of that, and it can be used to your advantage or avoided just like everything else. It's just really difficult to do so.

Well said. 

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
It is annoying when used against you, but when you're using it of course it's pretty nice. I liked how in Mario Kart 7 the blue shell doesn't just target the player in first, but other players along the way in its path. That was a nice refinement. But I don't think I would mind at all if they decided to get rid of the blue shell.
DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonHuntress7

It is annoying when used against you, but when you're using it of course it's pretty nice. I liked how in Mario Kart 7 the blue shell doesn't just target the player in first, but other players along the way in its path. That was a nice refinement. But I don't think I would mind at all if they decided to get rid of the blue shell.Avatar_Taxidous

That should be interesting!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#49 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't.  At least the flying versions.  Punishes someone for being good.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#50 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

mariokart snes gba and 64 required more skill then other mariokarts but mariokart  all of them require driving skills thats a fact ,Â