DO NOT Update to 4.2. It might cause bricks. Modded or not.

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EternalYoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 EternalYoshi
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts

Whether or not you modded it, it could be dangerous.

There have been reports of non modded Wii's getting bricked by this update.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_tech&thread.id=29914

Note that some posts were getting deleted.

I don't think I'm allowed to get into the details, but it seems to involve Nintendo using buggy code that can cause the Wii to hang or freeze while installing/downloading, causing it to brick.

Yes, it's needed to access the Wii shop channel,—but you might be setting yourself up for a repair if you try it, whether you modded it or not.

Save your points until they get fixed.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

My brother played the original Animal Crossing on the Wii and there was no problems so far since we updated last night.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

That's terrible by Nintendo. Hope the guy gets his Wii fixed for free.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I may still update it because I wanted to throroughy remove the homebrew on my Wii.

BanjoMumbo
It will BRICK your system. Do you know what that word means?
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

I updated my system recently and nothing noticable happened.

It is like the update did next to nothing.

Still waiting on that Conduit Patch, if there will ever be one to fix the glitch where you start a match frozen in space.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I didn't update mine and I'm always up-to-date in firmware. I don't think it was usefull to update this. I don't have the homebrew channel and I don't plan to have it.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
im not updating until nintendo actually decides to make an update that DOES something, which we havent had since the SD channels
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

Nothing happend when I updated mine.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts

This is what I read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2&a=38

BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#14 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

[QUOTE="BanjoMumbo"]

I may still update it because I wanted to throroughy remove the homebrew on my Wii.

bob_newman

It will BRICK your system. Do you know what that word means?

I am a thorough expert on gaming consoles, modding, and emulation. Yes, I know what bricking means. There is a percentage of users that say that it might not brick your system, so I might just take a chance.

HotRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HotRevolver
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Updated mine around the time it came out, worked fine and the update itself only took a minute. People have to remember everyone is getting the same update, and it comes down to how reliable your internet is.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts

I am a thorough expert on gaming consoles, modding, and emulation. Yes, I know what bricking means. There is a percentage of users that say that it might not brick your system, so I might just take a chance.

BanjoMumbo

Yes but if you were to have illegal content saved onto your Wii and you delete it, they can still find it and brick your system. This problem with the update is for people who don't even have the illegal content. If you have said content on your Wii or it was there, you will be bricked.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Mines working fine after the update and why do you mean by it being bricked?

hashabnelah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hashabnelah
Member since 2009 • 347 Posts

Keep in mind that post may be fake. I.e., someone created an account on Nintendo's board just to post a bogus problem to scare people out of updating.

Sancroff

I once believed what the user in the Nintendo tech forum had said, but looking at his post count, I am quite skeptical if what he said is true. Did he posted pictures of evidence that his Wii was "bricked"? He may be a fear-monger, as Wii owners on this thread did not report any problems with the update.

Anyone can claim on the Internet that his Wii console was "bricked" without providing any concrete evidence.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

I updated my system recently and nothing noticable happened.

It is like the update did next to nothing.

Still waiting on that Conduit Patch, if there will ever be one to fix the glitch where you start a match frozen in space.

snover2009
Have fun waiting... where would they patch it exactly? The wii doesn't install game data or executables to the hardware... As for the system. The only reason it bricked is because the hardware froze on the update stage of the update, meaning while it wrote to the boot ROM as such it doesn't load the OS right... meaning 'Bricked'. Seeming some people didn't have the problem and this one person did... I don't think it is the updates fault.... but who knows until they send it in.
HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

Whoa, that's weird. He's probably not the only person that that's goin' to happen to, so Nintendo will probably do somethin' 'bout it soon.

For the mean time, NoA should fix all those Wiis that face this problem for free. I think your first repair for Wii is free, anyway, so that couple should be able to get it fixed without havin' to dip into their wallet.:D

Tamborific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tamborific
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

With over 50 million Wiis around the world some accidents will probably happen while updating. There may be a power fluctuation or some kind of hardware failure with the processor or memory while updating.

It's not Nintendo bricking Wiis on purpose.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I'm not worried. There's enough anecdotal evidence, in just this thread, to show that it's no big deal.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

If Nintendo is bricking wiis that have homebrew on them, i say good for Nintendo.

that will teach them not to steal things.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

If Nintendo is bricking wiis that have homebrew on them, i say good for Nintendo.

alexh_99

Now you're going to get all the standard arguments that software piracy isn't really stealing.

I'm almost with you. I'd be fine with firmware updates erasing anything Nintendo doesn't think you should have inside the Wii, but Nintendo purposely bricking your Wii is going a bit too far.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
uuuh... i updated and nothing went wrong yet.
MajerHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MajerHawk
Member since 2009 • 432 Posts

just to be safe i will not update

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alexh_99

[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

aransom

Now you're going to get all the standard arguments that software piracy isn't really stealing.

I'm almost with you. I'd be fine with firmware updates erasing anything Nintendo doesn't think you should have inside the Wii, but Nintendo purposely bricking your Wii is going a bit too far.

I don't think it is going too far. Let's say a person stole food or clothing from a store. Should they pay back the store? (the answer is yes) Now lets say that store figures out a way to get the people who stole items, to pay them back. The store would use that method so they get the money back Nintendo would just be getting the money they deserve from the people who stole from them. Even though i doubt nintendo is purposely bricking Wii's, i still think if they were doing it on purpose that it is a very great idea
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I tried updating it and it froze a minute into the download. I don't think I'm going to download it all all now.:?

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

alexh_99

Wait... since when Homebrew meant stealing? There are applications that are used for that, but others can be used in legal purposes. For example, I got a copy of Disaster: Day of Crisis on eBay, it's a PAL game, and I have an NTSC console, what can I do? I can install a homebrew application that forces PAL games to run on NTSC format. In what part I stole something?

And yeah, I won't update until Nintendo fixes this update.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Too late. I updated my Wii last night shortly after hearing about the update... Fortunately, my Wii is working the same way it has always worked for me, so I'm good. I'm sure Nintendo will be addressing the bricked Wii systems issue soon enough, though, as this becomes a larger issue and is made clear to Nintendo about what has happened.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 alexh_99

[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

KillerJuan77

Wait... since when Homebrew meant stealing? There are applications that are used for that, but others can be used in legal purposes. For example, I got a copy of Disaster: Day of Crisis on eBay, it's a PAL game, and I have an NTSC console, what can I do? I can install a homebrew application that forces PAL games to run on NTSC format. In what part I stole something?

The hombrew channel is still illegal. Even though your reason for using it is technically legal (and it is a good reason to have it by the way), most people use it for stealing games and other illegal activities
prinnyhero25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 prinnyhero25
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Wait, is this supposed to happen during the update or after?

because I already updated, it was a slow update, but it updated and my Wii the same it has been.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="KillerJuan77"]

[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

alexh_99

The hombrew channel is still illegal. Even though your reason for using it is technically legal (and it is a good reason to have it by the way), most people use it for stealing games and other illegal activities

Not to mention that one of the things that the HBC does is enable you to watch DVDs, something that Nintendo doesn't have legal permission to use on their consoles. Therefore, it's illegal. Homebrew isn't just illegal because people D/L games, anything that uses the system for something it's not supposed to is illegal, and against Nintendo's ToU. Just going against their terms and conditions (read the manual) is illegal. Personally, I think bricking a hacker's Wii isn't enough. But whatever.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KillerJuan77

The hombrew channel is still illegal. Even though your reason for using it is technically legal (and it is a good reason to have it by the way), most people use it for stealing games and other illegal activities alexh_99

I know, but why can't Nintendo understand that it's not used for piracy only and that they have cancelled releases of great games that are only avaiable at other regions (Fatal Frame IV, Another Code R, Disaster, etc.)? That means people will import the games and they'll try to find a way to play them, legally or not, so it's also Nintendo's fault.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#36 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I haven't updated it yet but I'm glad Nintendo is trying to put an end to the Homebrew Channel but I do wish that Nintendo would make an to make the Wii region free then I could import Fatal Frame IV as Nintendo won't release it in US or Europe. All I can say what happened to the people who had there Wii bricked they properly turned off the console while it was updating.

Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts
Mine gave me an error code 3 times before it finally worked :( But it DID work and haven't had any problems
hashabnelah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hashabnelah
Member since 2009 • 347 Posts

Can we avoid discussing homebrew here? The moderators do not take kindly to discussions about it, and it is against the rules talk about it regardless of what we think about it.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="alexh_99"] The hombrew channel is still illegal. Even though your reason for using it is technically legal (and it is a good reason to have it by the way), most people use it for stealing games and other illegal activities KillerJuan77

I know, but why can't Nintendo understand that it's not used for piracy only and that they have cancelled releases of great games that are only avaiable at other regions (Fatal Frame IV, Another Code R, Disaster, etc.)? That means people will import the games and they'll try to find a way to play them, legally or not, so it's also Nintendo's fault.

because is the tool for piracy.it must be squashed. You wanna do it like importers do?buy another region wii .Painful but true. Check the volumes of pirated wii games downloaded every day. Its many many times higher than the other meaningless(PC doable ) apps applications-minigames . Dont like it?think is nintendos fault?dont buy nintendo consoles.Dont play the games. Or accept the consequences. Just because i could use a gun to open a can doesnt means is the way most people want to use it for.MOST USERS OF THE HBC DO INDEED, use it to play downloaded copies, by checking the download traffic ,this can be verified.HBC is the biggest door for piracy for the wii, and their users must deal with that truth.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KillerJuan77

^Not that I don't agree with your argument, but I'm not going to buy 3 Wii's.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
oops... lets hope nothing will happen, i played DS extraction so far so good.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
Member since 2009 • 9489 Posts
I updated and everythings fine.....but something can't go wrong after the update can it? :? I'm kinda worried....
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="alexh_99"] The hombrew channel is still illegal. Even though your reason for using it is technically legal (and it is a good reason to have it by the way), most people use it for stealing games and other illegal activities KillerJuan77

i might be saying something really stupid here, but wouldnt a... *forgets name* agh... that thing that you run a CD before playing a game from a different region. i thought it was legal.

free... it's free something.

EDIT: freeloader is the name. apparently, it's completely legal, so i guess it's the best solution to play games from different regions... but i'm not sure if it would cause any damage to your wii after the 4.2 update...

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
I updated and everythings fine.....but something can't go wrong after the update can it? :? I'm kinda worried....MarioGirl64
No, not at all
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

This generation is a joke in this sense, and Im not just getting on Nintendo's case here all 3 of them have had updates bricking consoles. Could the updates not have been downloaded to the consoles storage then applied? it just seems common sense to me, after all you wouldn't dream of flashing a pc mobo bios from a file u where in the process of downloading as it flashed :s.

Tamborific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tamborific
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

i might be saying something really stupid here, but wouldnt a... *forgets name* agh... that thing that you run a CD before playing a game from a different region. i thought it was legal.

free... it's free something.

EDIT: freeloader is the name. apparently, it's completely legal, so i guess it's the best solution to play games from different regions... but i'm not sure if it would cause any damage to your wii after the 4.2 update...BrunoBRS

It's not legal.

Nintendo would have made the Wii region free if they intended to do so. By the way, I'm pretty sure all hacks have been banned from the system with this last update, including this disk.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I updated when they first sent out the email and my console works fine, these updates always run the risk of causing a problem for small precentage of systems, its not a big deal, it happens and I would assume Nintendo fixes the ones that do have problems for free.
BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#50 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

I just tried to use the Wii Shop channel, and I can't because I would have to update first. :(