Didn't enjoy Mario 3D Land for 3DS (Am I Dead Inside ?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Got my mates 3DS for the weekend (Im still on the edge in terms of buying one), bastard only has Mario 3D Land and Street Fighter cause he will buy a system JUST for pokemon..Anyway gave Mario 3D Land a shot I didn't really enjoy it that much IDK what it is its just not resonating with me, currently up to World 8. Game got alot of hype and praise from Fans and Critics alike am I the Odd one out or did anyone else feel the same ? perhaps Im just more Inlove with the Grand Open Worlds of Previous 3D Marios.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

Got my mates 3DS for the weekend (Im still on the edge in terms of buying one), bastard only has Mario 3D Land and Street Fighter cause he will buy a system JUST for pokemon..Anyway gave Mario 3D Land a shot I didn't really enjoy it that much IDK what it is its just not resonating with me, currently up to World 8. Game got alot of hype and praise from Fans and Critics alike am I the Odd one out or did anyone else feel the same ? perhaps Im just more Inlove with the Grand Open Worlds of Previous 3D Marios.

Blake135

maybe if you actually say what you don't like about it.

oh and did you at least like the 3d?

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

KBFloYd

maybe if you actually say what you don't like about it.

oh and did you at least like the 3d?

I think the 3D Slider is alittle messed up on my Mates 3DS it sorta..Flickers ? seems alittle Flimsy. Otherwise Yeah Its cool, not mind blowing but it does subtly add some depth and I recall one level that it really worked well on. Only had a few minutes of Playtime at Stores so being able to sit down for a couple of Hours and try it out is really great, I would most likely have to get the 3DS Xl the Normal one feels alittle cramped for my hands.

Im not sure what I dislike Im trying to wrap my head around it myself as stupid as that sounds, I don't outright DISLIKE IT I mean its fun but I wouldn't pay full price for it would pick it up in the bargin Bin. Feels Generic compared to the reccent 3D Mario Games I have played (Sunshine/Galaxy), its more of a Semi hybrid of the 2D mario mixed in with the 3D Mario/

towny_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 towny_
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
First 8 worlds are pretty mediocre, it gets a lot better at the Special worlds
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Yes, you are dead inside. Sorry about that.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
It's boring, and after eight worlds and five special worlds, I realized the only reason I was still playing it is because I enjoyed previous 3D Marios and was hoping to catch any of that excitement. The game is a good mix of 2D and 3D Marios, but that doesn't make for a good game
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It can be disappointing, maybe your expectations were too high? I sold it for MK7 but I might get it back later on.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
First 8 worlds are pretty mediocre, it gets a lot better at the Special worldstowny_
which are just revamped versions of the mediocre first 8 worlds' levels
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I thought the game was terribly boring.

I love 3D Mario, well, except for Galaxy (decent, but overrated to me), but I didn't like Mario 3D Land at all. Boring worlds, no charm, no...fun.

In my opinion, of course.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a better game. Super Mario 3D Land is a good game but overrated.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blabadon
[QUOTE="towny_"]First 8 worlds are pretty mediocre, it gets a lot better at the Special worldsMinishdriveby

Exactly, some levels even have terrible challenges thrown on top of them. Trying to avoid that bigass Cosmic Mario while you're on a small piece of land that appears and disappears using the 3DS' analog nub isn't fun. It's annoying, and frustrating. Also, the practical removal of the long jump (since it's damn near impossible to pull of this game) sucks big time.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Game is awesome, you haters just have totally bad taste. :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
the first eight worlds are pretty damn easy, but the challenge really ramps up in the post game levels.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="towny_"]First 8 worlds are pretty mediocre, it gets a lot better at the Special worldsBlabadon

Exactly, some levels even have terrible challenges thrown on top of them. Trying to avoid that bigass Cosmic Mario while you're on a small piece of land that appears and disappears using the 3DS' analog nub isn't fun. It's annoying, and frustrating. Also, the practical removal of the long jump (since it's damn near impossible to pull of this game) sucks big time.

your L button must be broken because the long jump is easy as hell to pull off :|
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] which are just revamped versions of the mediocre first 8 worlds' levels

your L button must be broken because the long jump is easy as hell to pull off :|

No it's not, not while sprinting, and especially not compared to even the last 3D handheld Mario, SM64DS.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Exactly, some levels even have terrible challenges thrown on top of them. Trying to avoid that bigass Cosmic Mario while you're on a small piece of land that appears and disappears using the 3DS' analog nub isn't fun. It's annoying, and frustrating. Also, the practical removal of the long jump (since it's damn near impossible to pull of this game) sucks big time.Blabadon

No it's not, not while sprinting, and especially not compared to even the last 3D handheld Mario, SM64DS.

dude, you get a running start, you press L, then press b while sliding, it's not rocket science. I can do it on the spot

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Good game but not as spectacular as some make it out to be.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] your L button must be broken because the long jump is easy as hell to pull off :|Shinobishyguy

dude, you get a running start, you press L, then press b while sliding, it's not rocket science. I can do it on the spot

Doh ho ho, I never knew that in all my hours of playing it! :roll: It's not well implemented, it feels sluggish like the rest of the game, and it feels pointless because it goes the same distance as the normal jump does. We've had this exact same discussion before. I know this is also a selective piece, but this summarizes a lot of the issues I had with the game, though there is some hyperbole on some parts: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/email-i-just-beat-super-mario-3d-land/ One part of it that has some my main problems with the game: "Some idiot decided to add a run button to this game. Let me repeat that: some idiot added a run button to a 3D Mario game. Isnt that what the analog stick is for? Nintendo, hello? Anyway, I wish I could say that this is just a minor inconvenience because Im constantly holding the button down when I shouldnt have to, but theres another problem. This game has some control issues due to the aforementioned run button. Mario overreacts to a lot of mid-air controls because of that stupid button, but if I dont use it, he under-reacts and doesnt travel far enough. This game feels like it has no momentum. Even with the run button held down, Mario runs so damn slow. It feels slower than other 3D Mario games. The triple jump is also gone. Now, thats huge. The triple jump was so fundamental to 3D Mario games because it allowed you build up momentum, overcome obstacles and pull off crazy maneuvers. But here its gone. Even though it was added to the New Super Mario Bros. games, its gone here. The long jump feels almost useless. Every time I used it, it felt like it had been neutered compared to previous 3D Mario games. It just doesnt travel far enough. Also, for some reason, it feels difficult to pull off." I can't stand the run button in this game. It's fairly fine in SM64DS, but after the SMG games, it just feels like a detriment to the game.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] No it's not, not while sprinting, and especially not compared to even the last 3D handheld Mario, SM64DS.Blabadon

Doh ho ho, I never knew that in all my hours of playing it! :roll: It's not well implemented, it feels sluggish like the rest of the game, and it feels pointless because it goes the same distance as the normal jump does. We've had this exact same discussion before. I know this is also a selective piece, but this summarizes a lot of the issues I had with the game, though there is some hyperbole on some parts: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/email-i-just-beat-super-mario-3d-land/ One part of it that has some my main problems with the game: "Some idiot decided to add a run button to this game. Let me repeat that: some idiot added a run button to a 3D Mario game. Isnt that what the analog stick is for? Nintendo, hello? Anyway, I wish I could say that this is just a minor inconvenience because Im constantly holding the button down when I shouldnt have to, but theres another problem. This game has some control issues due to the aforementioned run button. Mario overreacts to a lot of mid-air controls because of that stupid button, but if I dont use it, he under-reacts and doesnt travel far enough. This game feels like it has no momentum. Even with the run button held down, Mario runs so damn slow. It feels slower than other 3D Mario games. The triple jump is also gone. Now, thats huge. The triple jump was so fundamental to 3D Mario games because it allowed you build up momentum, overcome obstacles and pull off crazy maneuvers. But here its gone. Even though it was added to the New Super Mario Bros. games, its gone here. The long jump feels almost useless. Every time I used it, it felt like it had been neutered compared to previous 3D Mario games. It just doesnt travel far enough. Also, for some reason, it feels difficult to pull off." I can't stand the run button in this game. It's fairly fine in SM64DS, but after the SMG games, it just feels like a detriment to the game.

again making an issue out of a non issue. The run button was fine, you just hold it down and let go of it when you're in smaller areas where you need to move slowly. Hell you can even do a rolling long jump that covers more distance.
The controls were tight as hell and quite frankly this seems more like an issue of you sucking at the game more than anything

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] dude, you get a running start, you press L, then press b while sliding, it's not rocket science. I can do it on the spotShinobishyguy

again making an issue out of a non issue. The run button was fine, you jusy hold it down and let go of it when you're in smaller areas where you need to move slowly

Please, in a series I love as much as the 3D Mario games and have put countless hours in, and for that fantastic series to basically define the 3DS for me, I wasn't looking for issues. I was looking for unbridled fun, and instead I got a sluggish, boring mix of 2D and 3D Mario games that did neither of the two genres well.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Doh ho ho, I never knew that in all my hours of playing it! :roll: It's not well implemented, it feels sluggish like the rest of the game, and it feels pointless because it goes the same distance as the normal jump does. We've had this exact same discussion before. I know this is also a selective piece, but this summarizes a lot of the issues I had with the game, though there is some hyperbole on some parts: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/email-i-just-beat-super-mario-3d-land/ One part of it that has some my main problems with the game: "Some idiot decided to add a run button to this game. Let me repeat that: some idiot added a run button to a 3D Mario game. Isnt that what the analog stick is for? Nintendo, hello? Anyway, I wish I could say that this is just a minor inconvenience because Im constantly holding the button down when I shouldnt have to, but theres another problem. This game has some control issues due to the aforementioned run button. Mario overreacts to a lot of mid-air controls because of that stupid button, but if I dont use it, he under-reacts and doesnt travel far enough. This game feels like it has no momentum. Even with the run button held down, Mario runs so damn slow. It feels slower than other 3D Mario games. The triple jump is also gone. Now, thats huge. The triple jump was so fundamental to 3D Mario games because it allowed you build up momentum, overcome obstacles and pull off crazy maneuvers. But here its gone. Even though it was added to the New Super Mario Bros. games, its gone here. The long jump feels almost useless. Every time I used it, it felt like it had been neutered compared to previous 3D Mario games. It just doesnt travel far enough. Also, for some reason, it feels difficult to pull off." I can't stand the run button in this game. It's fairly fine in SM64DS, but after the SMG games, it just feels like a detriment to the game.Blabadon
again making an issue out of a non issue. The run button was fine, you jusy hold it down and let go of it when you're in smaller areas where you need to move slowly

Please, in a series I love as much as the 3D Mario games and have put countless hours in, and for that fantastic series to basically define the 3DS for me, I wasn't looking for issues. I was looking for unbridled fun, and instead I got a sluggish, boring mix of 2D and 3D Mario games that did neither of the two genres well.

I don't really give a crap how many hours you put into other 3d mario games, if you have trouble pulling off something as simple as a longjump it's time to re-evaluate your platforming skills

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

The game is horribly padded out. The first 8 worlds are far too easy and then the 8 special worlds are basically the same thing with slightly different rules to make them difficult. The game forces you to play through all 16 worlds twice to get the last level. NSMB2 is definitely better.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] again making an issue out of a non issue. The run button was fine, you jusy hold it down and let go of it when you're in smaller areas where you need to move slowlyShinobishyguy

I don't really give a crap how many hours you put into other 3d mario games, if you have trouble pulling off something as simple as a longjump it's time to re-evaluate your platforming skills

Right, right, this argument again. This is why you're so fun to talk to man, the way you overreact to others' opinions of Nintendo's games. Stay classy.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Please, in a series I love as much as the 3D Mario games and have put countless hours in, and for that fantastic series to basically define the 3DS for me, I wasn't looking for issues. I was looking for unbridled fun, and instead I got a sluggish, boring mix of 2D and 3D Mario games that did neither of the two genres well.Blabadon

Right, right, this argument again. This is why you're so fun to talk to man, the way you overreact to others' opinions of Nintendo's games. Stay classy.

i had no trouble long jumping...well actually the problem for you guys is probably the size and shape of the 3DS.... you have to hold it a certain way to do it because you have to press the shoulder buttons at the same time.

oh and yea its distance is slightly neutered but still comes in handy in many sections.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Yes... yes you are.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] I don't really give a crap how many hours you put into other 3d mario games, if you have trouble pulling off something as simple as a longjump it's time to re-evaluate your platforming skills

KBFloYd

i had no trouble long jumping...well actually the problem for you guys is probably the size and shape of the 3DS.... you have to hold it a certain way to do it because you have to press the shoulder buttons at the same time.

oh and yea its distance is slightly neutered but still comes in handy in many sections.

you can actually do a rolling longjump that covers alot more distance. Just slide, press y, and then b before the roll finishes
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Mario 3D Land was my last stab at enjoying a Super Mario game. The only reason I fired up Super Mario Bros on my 3DS was to get it in my activity log. 3DL was just more Mario. Super Mario World was one of the greatest games of my entire childhood. I would buy it on 3DS, but I wonder if I would still enjoy it.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd

you can actually do a rolling longjump that covers alot more distance. Just slide, press y, and then b before the roll finishesShinobishyguy

advanced mario techniques? i will try it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I didn't enjoy it much either. Felt like very lazy game design.

inter_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inter_911
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

its an alright game but nothing amazing.. maybe my least favorite mario adventure game

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

How do you not enjoy something but play through the first 8 worlds? So you aren't enjoying as much as you'd like to, but you're enjoying it. You wouldn't be playing if you didn't enjoy it at all. Just not as much as you wish.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#32 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It is a solid game. Maybe we all got spoiled by the greatness of the two Galaxy games. :P

towny_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 towny_
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
[QUOTE="towny_"]First 8 worlds are pretty mediocre, it gets a lot better at the Special worldsMinishdriveby

My problem with the first 8 worlds were that they were way to easy. So the special worlds were a fun challenge.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blake135

How do you not enjoy something but play through the first 8 worlds? So you aren't enjoying as much as you'd like to, but you're enjoying it. You wouldn't be playing if you didn't enjoy it at all. Just not as much as you wish.

bonesawisready5

People can still Play A Game/Watch A Movie, even if they don't really enjoy it. As I said I borrowed my Mates 3DS and the only Game's he has Is Mario And Street Fighter (Yes I did Download Some Demo's), Kinda pointless NOT to play it don't you think ? Im getting through the game but it certainly is not a overaly enjoyable experience. 

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It is a solid game. Maybe we all got spoiled by the greatness of the two Galaxy games. :P

Pierst179

Definitely.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

Blake135

People can still Play A Game/Watch A Movie, even if they don't really enjoy it. As I said I borrowed my Mates 3DS and the only Game's he has Is Mario And Street Fighter (Yes I did Download Some Demo's), Kinda pointless NOT to play it don't you think ? Im getting through the game but it certainly is not a overaly enjoyable experience. 

But if you didn't enjoy it you would deem it a waste of your time and stop doing it. You're basically saying what I said, that you didn't REALLY enjoy (as much as you wanted to) but you still enjoyed it.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Good game but not as spectacular as some make it out to be.OreoMilkshake
I agree with this. I liked the game but don't see it as such a great thing as others claim it to be.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Please, in a series I love as much as the 3D Mario games and have put countless hours in, and for that fantastic series to basically define the 3DS for me, I wasn't looking for issues. I was looking for unbridled fun, and instead I got a sluggish, boring mix of 2D and 3D Mario games that did neither of the two genres well.Blabadon

No that's not an opinion. The game has tight controls. It's like claiming street fighter is a bad game because you can't pull of specials/combos. Perhaps the game just isn't for you and is too difficult.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Epak_

Definitely.

Yup.
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#40 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

bonesawisready5
THIS. And the game is fun to me. I played it a lot when I first got it and now I play it sometimes.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] I don't really give a crap how many hours you put into other 3d mario games, if you have trouble pulling off something as simple as a longjump it's time to re-evaluate your platforming skills

Heirren

No that's not an opinion. The game has tight controls. It's like claiming street fighter is a bad game because you can't pull of specials/combos. Perhaps the game just isn't for you and is too difficult.

Alright, I'm not even discussing the game in this thread anymore, but that's silly. A game having loose or tight controls is definitely an opinion. Even play Killzone 2? The game controls became a controversy on whether they were too heavy or just right. Anyways, I'll just reiterate this to you one more time. Sure, the game has tight controls when it comes to movement (left is left, right is right, etc), but moving feels sluggish. I really doubt it was difficulty that was an issue for me seeing as I was on Special World 8 with more than 240 special coins, which was good enough for level S8-2. Also, considering that I got 149 stars in SM64DS, 120 in SMG, and 242 in SMG2, I once again doubt that difficulty is the issue. You're right about one thing. The game isn't for me. It was a mix of 2D and 3D Mario games, and I didn't know that about the game beforehand and was going in thinking it was a more focused 3D experience. Not only was I wrong, but it wasn't a solid experience on its own merits anyways.