Could New Super Mario Bros Wii's success anger developers/publishers?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

In the IGN thread it was mentioned that the success of NSMBWii could possibly have pissed off a lot of developers/publishers. Specifically because it was a 2D game and it is pretty much destroying all (well not all as Modern Warfare 2 is still sitting pretty) these 3D games in terms of sales. I've always felt that over the last several years more and more in the industry have tried to act as if 2D gaming was dead. I think Sony for a while had a "no 2D games" rule for some of their systems but can't be sure on that. That games in 2D weren't worthwhile when it came to consoles and they were a thing for handhelds. However this generation we've seen that isn't the case, well it was never the case. Games such as New Super Mario Bros Wii, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and even Tatsunoko vs Capcom to name some recent 2D console games are great and seem great (TvsC isn't out yet so can make a judgement on that but if it's similar to past 2D fighters then it will be.). These games, specifically the new Mario game have brought 2D games back to the forefront for everyone. Everyone now knows how great they can play, how great they could look, and how fun in general they can be without being to complex. It also gives a message that Nintendo isn't done with the 2D design and more then likely will continue to embrace it along side 3D gaming.

However many other developers have an exclusive focus on 3D gaming and hyper realistic graphics. So the the idea of going back to 2D I'm going to assume is an extremely foreign idea. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of them might very well be furious that New Super Mario Bros. Wii has been so successful and that people of all ages have embraced it. After all this isnt' a handheld game. This isn't a downloadable game on WiiWare, PSN, or Xbox Live Arcade. Areas where "2D games are suppose to be located". This is a full fledge console game that was treated by Nintendo as their top game of the year to focus on.

So what do you think? Think some developers/publishers are upset over NSMBWii's success?

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

i agree with you completely. Even Sega is going back to 2d with Sonic HD. hopefully they dont put a dumb gimmick and the game will turn out well. Ever since sonic went 3d things began to fall apart for him

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

In the IGN thread it was mentioned that the success of NSMBWii could possibly have pissed off a lot of developers/publishers. Specifically because it was a 2D game and it is pretty much destroying all (well not all as Modern Warfare 2 is still sitting pretty) these 3D games in terms of sales. I've always felt that over the last several years more and more in the industry have tried to act as if 2D gaming was dead. I think Sony for a while had a "no 2D games" rule for some of their systems but can't be sure on that. That games in 2D weren't worthwhile when it came to consoles and they were a thing for handhelds. However this generation we've seen that isn't the case, well it was never the case. Games such as New Super Mario Bros Wii, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and even Tatsunoko vs Capcom to name some recent 2D console games are great and seem great (TvsC isn't out yet so can make a judgement on that but if it's similar to past 2D fighters then it will be.). These games, specifically the new Mario game have brought 2D games back to the forefront for everyone. Everyone now knows how great they can play, how great they could look, and how fun in general they can be without being to complex. It also gives a message that Nintendo isn't done with the 2D design and more then likely will continue to embrace it along side 3D gaming.

However many other developers have an exclusive focus on 3D gaming and hyper realistic graphics. So the the idea of going back to 2D I'm going to assume is an extremely foreign idea. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of them might very well be furious that New Super Mario Bros. Wii has been so successful and that people of all ages have embraced it. After all this isnt' a handheld game. This isn't a downloadable game on WiiWare, PSN, or Xbox Live Arcade. Areas where "2D games are suppose to be located". This is a full fledge console game that was treated by Nintendo as their top game of the year to focus on.

So what do you think? Think some developers/publishers are upset over NSMBWii's success?

NeoStar9

No it will not piss them off. Naturally if they see this they will try to duplicate this success by bringing more 2D games out... this could revitalize the 2D gaming space on consoles, which should happen because we could use more 2D games such as the upcoming Mega Man 10, and stuff like that. This should make developers want to make more 2D games, not piss them off. Hope I helped.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

2D games in this Generation

Megaman 9

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Braid

Street Fighter 4 (yes that's 2D or...2.5 D)

BlazBlue

Muramasa The Demon Blade

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Japan)

A Boy and His Blob

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

Wario Land Shake it!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2.5D?)

That's to name a few.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

Meh, I doubt it. But if they are, whatever it takes to get more third party devs off their asses to try and compete (for the Wii, at least.)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Your forgot Little Big Planet, it may allow you to move backwards and forwards into the foreground, but at its core it is a 2D platformer. I don't think anyone can be upset about the games success. It is a Mario game after all and its expected to move big numbers. However what I believe it shows alongside games like LBP and SFIV is that a 2D game can be big in the sale department with the right name or the right marketing in this day and age. You don't have to have the biggest baddest 3D game on the market to move good numbers, however 2D isn't exactly going to become a cash cow.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I think a lot of developers would be quite happy to see the market turn towards 2D gaming again. It means you can make games for a lot cheaper in less time, while still making themgood and succesfull.

Not that I think New Super Mario Bros. is going to make the market change like that, I'm quite sure it's success is largely dependent on the name attached to it.

Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Valkyriareaper1

I think a lot of developers would be quite happy to see the market turn towards 2D gaming again. It means you can make games for a lot cheaper in less time, while still making themgood and succesfull.

Not that I think New Super Mario Bros. is going to make the market change like that, I'm quite sure it's success is largely dependent on the name attached to it.

_BlueDuck_

Agreed.

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts

NSBW sold more copys then mw2 on ps3 almost, so i think its safe to say mario is a COD killer. MW1 sold 12m units on pc,360,ps3,mac,ds Mario kart wii sold 18.6m and its exclusive..

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Pfft, if they're going to complain about being beaten by a 2D game then it's their fault for ignoring an entirely competent genre.

Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Valkyriareaper1

NSBW sold more copys then mw2 on ps3 almost, so i think its safe to say mario is a COD killer. MW1 sold 12m units on pc,360,ps3,mac,ds Mario kart wii sold 18.6m and its exclusive..

Javieralijandro

Mario is a bigger name than CoD I did not expect that (jk I did)... heres hoping that Super Mario Galaxy 2 beats out MW2 as the biggest entertainment launch of all time... lol...

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
Biggest enertainment launch might be hard, but MW2 can't hold best selling game. I wonder how much infinite ward is worth, you know since every game they make automaticly sells 5million units.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Video game "journalists" usually replicate big Western third parties' ideas, particularly the kind of ideas that third parties don't usually mention out loud (except Bobby Kotick, of course). These "journalists" talk about the Wii HD because third parties want a Wii HD so they can ignore it like they ignored the Gamecube, that is, ignore it without feeling threatened, unlike what's happening with the Wii. Video game "journalists" are going crazy lately because this new 2D Mario is outselling 3rd parties' über awesum 10-hour-long-but-hey-there's-online-multiplayer games. Isn't it just a little bit TOO weird that after getting great reviews at, say, IGN, that very same website is calling it a DS port and complaining about every little idiotic detail they think can resonate with teh über hardcorex all over the Internet?

It's not called "the video game INDUSTRY" for no reason. It's an industry indeed, and the media has a role to play. Whenever you read something about this or that product causing illnesses, accidents and whatnot, there's a big chance that said product is threatening a big incumbent corporation, and this corporation reached out for the media to do the dirty work for them. Nintendo threatens the video game industry because they decided not to play by the industry's rules and it has worked for them. It's that simple.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
I agree. Well said. It's basically like saying, just because we have the technology to make 3D adventure games, doesn't mean we have to. We could make even better looking, and controlling 2D games, and have people relive their childhood days. This is what NSMBW did. It's fantastic.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
a well-made 2D masterpiece is million times better than repetitive 3D shooter that plays exactly like the one i have played 2 years ago.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I don't think it's angering anyone, if anything, they'll just take the idea of 2D and use it. Personally, I'd love it if there were as many 2D games as 3D. Both ways are awesome and have their own masterpieces.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I think most developers know that Mario sells pretty darn well. At least I would hope they would know that by now... :?

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
not really... everybody sane enough knows that mario sells well no matter what.....
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Valkyriareaper1

not really... everybody sane enough knows that mario sells well no matter what..... greenarcher02
Yes even the disaster Mario Party 8 sold. Uggghhhhhhh... every other Mario game besides that oen is good or awesome or decentably average...

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
I think they are certainly pissed. They struggle to make a buck on the system, then Nintendo comes in, ports a DS game to the system, sticks it in a red box, and sells millions of copies. It must be infuriating to struggle to really provide great games, and see all the attention and sales go to a lazy port instead. As an aside, the success of the game has much, much, much less to do with being 2D, as it does with simply being a Mario game on a Nintendo console.
thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
I don't think it's angering anyone, if anything, they'll just take the idea of 2D and use it.DevilBorg
Yes but..... those developers 2D games wouldn't have Mario. So the games wouldn't be as successful. The 2D nature of the gameplay of this title had little to nothing to do with it's retail victories. This same exact game without Mario on the cover would have been a massive flop at retail. Remember Muramasa? 2D revolution, indeed. So long as those 2D games feature Nintendo characters.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I think most if not all developers are aware that mario is not selling because it's 2D, it's selling because it's mario.

But, they should also be aware that a 2d mario is selling to people that may have dropped gaming when it went 3D. They liked games better when games were simpler, and so decided to focus on growing up, having kids, and starting careers instead. That's why punch-out was so successful. If devs are going to copy anything from NSMBwii, it should be a simple first, fun first, everything else second, approach to gaming.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Whenever a Nintendo first-party game gets released for the Wii it tends to become a top seller therefore frustrating those developers who actually made a much more decent game with alot more effort but fails to sell (e.g. Cold Mountain). Nuff said.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#24 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Whenever a Nintendo first-party game gets released for the Wii it tends to become a top seller therefore frustrating those developers who actually made a much more decent game with alot more effort but fails to sell (e.g. Cold Mountain). Nuff said.

Aero5555
If its true, its true. No other exclusive or even non exclusive game will outsell some of the games Nintendo published for the Wii. Nintendo's games appeal to a wider audience and thats what Shooting games in general dont do(im not saying they should, they have their own audience to impress)
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Aero5555

If its true, its true. No other exclusive or even non exclusive game will outsell some of the games Nintendo published for the Wii. Nintendo's games appeal to a wider audience and thats what Shooting games in general dont do(im not saying they should, they have their own audience to impress)XenoLair

I'm just saying that it's really sad, as if Nintendo has isolated the Wii and the company is its only friend. And people ask why 3rd party developers shy away from the Wii.

By the way, unless I've misunderstood, Cold Mountain is survival horror not a shooter.

Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

I did read the first few posts but devs/pubs want to say nothing, this is the kind of game we want it's a more traditional game in that it's well known and has been advertised and through thisthe big N has had success.

Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts
I don't think they are mad at the fact that a 2D game sold this much. However, they are pissed that a Nintendo game is doing this well.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

I think most if not all developers are aware that mario is not selling because it's 2D, it's selling because it's mario.

But, they should also be aware that a 2d mario is selling to people that may have dropped gaming when it went 3D. They liked games better when games were simpler, and so decided to focus on growing up, having kids, and starting careers instead. That's why punch-out was so successful. If devs are going to copy anything from NSMBwii, it should be a simple first, fun first, everything else second, approach to gaming.

goblaa
Punch-out was successful? It didn't even crack 1 million. And if devs copied that, it would be the day I stopped gaming. I don't want 10000 Nintendo clones out there. There are different sources of fun and enjoyment. Ninty focuses on the most pure and primal. Other devs focus on more sophisticated, less intense enjoyment (i.e. from storytelling and character development, choices), others focus on merely the primal side (FPS multiplayer), and others focus on the masochistic intense enjoyment (punishment-and-reward systems.) Diversity is good. I don't want Bioware to make a mini-game collection.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
NSMBWii is fun. If third party developers don't like it they should try something radical. Like making a fun game.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Aero5555

LOL... Cold Mountain? Apparently, that game was so great of an effort, some people can't remember the game's real name. :P

Anyways, why should publishers be angry at NSMBWii's success? It's not like anyone couldn't have seen the game fly off store shelves, given the fact that it is a Mario game and a follow-up to a DS game that has sold close to 20 million copies. If anything, I think some developers will be pleased to know that 2D games can still be pretty viable under the right circumstances; while this may not mean that publishers will be more willing to embrace 2D projects that are not made for the online services, it still might serve as something of a reference should that one potential breakthrough comes along. It's likely that NSMBWii's sales will surpass those of Super Mario Galaxy (it pains me a tad to say that, but I'll live :P), so if anything, it shows that even the biggest of franchises have areas where they flourish the most in, and it doesn't always have to cater to tech-junkies in order to be at its most appealing.

Also, I believe some credit has to be given to Nintendo here. As the TC said, Nintendo treated NSMBWii as if it was its top console game, despite the fact that it was 2D. I'm sure it's easier to market these kinds of games when you have Mario to work with, but an effort still has to be there to drive a game, and Nintendo has done that. If anything, I hope the success of NSMBWii will inspire publishers to not only give quality 2D games a chance, but also be more than willing to advertise them as much as a high profile shooter or action game (yeah, I know I'm asking for WAY too much here...). I think 2D games still have a great sense of appeal to them, especially when you consider the expanded market in gaming now, so I would hope that more within the industry would start to embrace the advantages that 2D games can still bring to the table.

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NeoStar9

goblaa
That's a good point. There were a lot of people that stopped gaming when the jump went from 2D to 3D. I wouldn't be surprised though if they didn't actually leave gaming but stuck to handhelds and are a large part of the Nintendo DS audience now. I'm slowly finding myself that I'm approaching that direction due to time and general my outlook on games. This could be why I've been drawn more to Nintendo and the Wii this generation more so then the other systems. Granted I have all three but that's mainly for very specific games and even then they are limited to RPGs mainly but I don't mind the some what more "casual" nature of Wii games. It used to bother me but NSMBWii has in a way changed that for me and made realize certain things. I do miss the simplicity that games had when they were 2D. Not that I don't enjoy 3D gaming because I do but they have become more complicated then they need to be I feel.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

Your forgot Little Big Planet, it may allow you to move backwards and forwards into the foreground, but at its core it is a 2D platformer. I don't think anyone can be upset about the games success. It is a Mario game after all and its expected to move big numbers. However what I believe it shows alongside games like LBP and SFIV is that a 2D game can be big in the sale department with the right name or the right marketing in this day and age. You don't have to have the biggest baddest 3D game on the market to move good numbers, however 2D isn't exactly going to become a cash cow. Sepewrath
well, the issue is that LBP wasnt competing in sales with COD or anything. it sold ok and over a year. The truth is that NSMB in a single mounth sold nearly twice than LBP and it outsold the PS3 version of Modern warfare 2.And christmass is not here yet.The legs of Mario games are substancially inmense compared to HD games(say, new super mario bross is like 17 million?more?).Nobody should be surprised tho.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="XenoLair"] If its true, its true. No other exclusive or even non exclusive game will outsell some of the games Nintendo published for the Wii. Nintendo's games appeal to a wider audience and thats what Shooting games in general dont do(im not saying they should, they have their own audience to impress)Aero5555

I'm just saying that it's really sad, as if Nintendo has isolated the Wii and the company is its only friend. And people ask why 3rd party developers shy away from the Wii.

By the way, unless I've misunderstood, Cold Mountain is survival horror not a shooter.

but third party devs still are making more third party for wii than the did in the same timeframe for Cube and N64, so im sure ninty is keeping wii loads less isolated dont you think?just clearing that because, you seem to think Wii is isolated as opposed as what?the 2 previous generations?NIntendo was ,for a long time, its only friend.But its now when its partnering somewhat with a few key publishers. Is for instance, remarkable than somehow wii snatched some exclusives from previously only Sony consoles, such as Devil Kings, Monster hunter 3 and hell, the VS series of Capcom.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

What is the point of 20 years of gaming innovation if we are just going to go back to restricting ourselves to a 2D plane. Some games need to be 2D like Smash Bros or Streat Fighter, but not the case with most other games.

The last 3 Metroid games were FPS game that still functioned the same as the 2D games, but instead you are in a 3D space behind the awsome visor of Samus Aran, and now Metroid Other M is going to be a sidescroller? I will not enjoy that near as much as I did the Prime games. I will be very happy once Metroid got back to the tried and true Metroid FPS formula that Retro Studios set.

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NeoStar9

What is the point of 20 years of gaming innovation if we are just going to go back to restricting ourselves to a 2D plane. Some games need to be 2D like Smash Bros or Streat Fighter, but not the case with most other games.

The last 3 Metroid games were FPS game that still functioned the same as the 2D games, but instead you are in a 3D space behind the awsome visor of Samus Aran, and now Metroid Other M is going to be a sidescroller? I will not enjoy that near as much as I did the Prime games. I will be very happy once Metroid got back to the tried and true Metroid FPS formula that Retro Studios set.

snover2009

It's not about restricting one's self. However it's a case at times I believe that just because you can do something doesn't always mean it's the best idea or the best thing to do. No is talking about going back to 2D gaming as a whole. However it isn't dead as some would have liked it to be or tried to make it just because 3D was finally and is possible. It is still a very viable method of making games that should be reembraced. There was never an issue with 2D games on the whole. The color and the level of detail you could get was an issue but the same for 3D and like 3D it has changed. It has been refined over the years and you now get games like NSMBW, Muramasa, Street Fighter 4 (didn't even know that was a 2Dish game until recently). It still has it's place and can be just as enjoy as 3D. Perhaps more so to some people depending on theri taste.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

3rd parties should be pissed enough coz they have a hard time selling on Wii without the Mario name in a RED case getting all shoppers attention from Deadly Creatures to Nintendo's latest release

I think Nintendo needs to take a page from Sony and actually advertise third party games in their wii commercials

How hard would having a Wii console commercial with clips of New Super Mario, Wii Fit, AND Silent Hill, Modern Warfare Reflex, De Blob, be??

Sony throws Demons Souls and other 3rd party games into their PS3 commercials

i'd think everything Nintendo has done this holiday to make sure people buy NSMB Wii instead of Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, etc would upset devs more

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

_BlueDuck_
Not if it's hand drawn or sprites. That actually takes longer now and more expensive because of HD. 2.5D is okay though.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Also, back to topic, nah, it's a Super Mario game. It'll always be a huge hit. NSMB Wii is an exception. But 2D games are making sort of a comeback especially on WiiWare, PSN and XBL. Like Castle Crashers, Trials HD, Shadow Complex, Trine, Splosion-Man, Lost Winds, Rocket Knight remake, etc. How can anyone say these are bad things.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 goblaa

[QUOTE="XenoLair"] If its true, its true. No other exclusive or even non exclusive game will outsell some of the games Nintendo published for the Wii. Nintendo's games appeal to a wider audience and thats what Shooting games in general dont do(im not saying they should, they have their own audience to impress)Aero5555

Well, if third parties made games as high qulaity as nintendo does maybe I'd be more inclined to uy them...

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

3rd parties should be pissed enough coz they have a hard time selling on Wii without the Mario name in a RED case getting all shoppers attention from Deadly Creatures to Nintendo's latest release

I think Nintendo needs to take a page from Sony and actually advertise third party games in their wii commercials

How hard would having a Wii console commercial with clips of New Super Mario, Wii Fit, AND Silent Hill, Modern Warfare Reflex, De Blob, be??

Sony throws Demons Souls and other 3rd party games into their PS3 commercials

i'd think everything Nintendo has done this holiday to make sure people buy NSMB Wii instead of Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, etc would upset devs more

darth-pyschosis

Wow... so should the majority of third party publishers be upset with Activision for releasing Modern Warfare 2 as well? :P Nintendo's not going to sit around and not release a game during the holiday season, so I don't know where you're coming from here. There's room enough for a Mario game and another title (if you don't believe me, look at how Scriblenauts did on the DS, despite being released at around the same time as Mario&Luigi), but it's up to third parties themselves to create the appealing products and generate excitement about them. If they're upset that Nintendo released NSMBWii over the reason that they're having trouble selling games, I feel bad for them.

As for this whole idea that Nintendo should be releasing commercial montages that show third party games, it's not that I don't mind the suggestion, but I do still see a problem with it. What you're asking Nintendo to do is take its own time, money, and resources to do something that the publishers behind games like Silent Hill and Modern Warfare Reflex won't even bother doing, which is promoting their games. It's not as if Nintendo hasn't done montages before, even with the Wii, but it's still not the responsibility of Nintendo to drive third party games. You'd think that after seeing what has happened the previous 11+ months of this year, people wouldn't try to play the blame game with Nintendo on this subject, but regardless of if Nintendo releases Mario or Wii Music during the holidays, it's going to take heat. *shakes head*

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

A good game doesnt have to have great graphics and play in 3D, thats something otherdevelopers need to understand.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Perhaps this will encourage Konami to make a 2D Castlevania game for consoles. The 2D Castlevania games for the DS are brilliant so having one on the Wii or perhaps even the PlayStation 3 would be epic.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#43 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

no

lol it is not up to the developers whether or not nsmb sold,

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Aero5555

but third party devs still are making more third party for wii than they did in the same timeframe for Cube and N64intro94

Which is why I never bought a Cube and my N64 was left collecting dust only 2 years after I bought it (1997-1999), replaced by a PSX (not to mention that I bought the N64 only because the Saturn was left to die and I underestimated Sony). Even though the support on the Cube and N64 was less compared to the Wii the games on them were better IMO thanks to the devs misunderstanding of the Wii's architecture. Until recently I was getting more fun out of Cube games than actual Wii games.

Well, if third parties made games as high qulaity as nintendo does maybe I'd be more inclined to buy them...

goblaa

I'm sorry but last time I checked even crap games made by Nintendo sell big on the Wii so long as their target is casual. *looks at sig* right, maybe in 1994? (no offense but baseless fanboy justifications are just begging for some cold response, not meant to be rude, it's only video games).

LOL... Cold Mountain? Apparently, that game was so great of an effort, some people can't remember the game's real name. :P

Madmangamer364

Yeah my bad. I'm apparently having a hard time recalling titles that gave me a 4-day interest in a console that had been collecting dust on my shelf for a couple of years.... *moves along*

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 goblaa

I'm sorry but last time I checked even crap games made by Nintendo sell big on the Wii so long as their target is casual. *looks at sig* right, maybe in 1994? (no offense but baseless fanboy justifications are just begging for some cold response, not meant to be rude, it's only video games).

Aero5555

Well, nintendo hasn't been making crap games except for wii music (which bombed). Their pathetic attempts at new play control failed to sell. And that donkey kong racing game that was so terrible sold for crap too. Other than that, all their products have been damn good and sold very well.

Even third party casual shovelware for the most part doesn't sell. Sure, there are a couple exceptions like carnival games and deca sports, or games with brand names to them like mario vs sonic at the olympics...but 99% of the shovleware you see on the shelves hardly moves. Most don't sell over 30,000 units.

Heck, look at deca sports 2. First one sold 2mill and was awful. The second one was equally bad, but no one was willing to be fooled twice as it only sold slightly over 30k. Even carnival games (which IMO was no where near as bad as people made it out to be) dropped from 3.5 mill to 800k with it's sequel. Now, 800k is the kind of numbers many third parties dream of, but it's still a massive drop.

But my point is, nintendo is simply making better games and being smarter about release schedules and advertising. Third parties are still putting the c-teams on wii games, they're still using waggle, they're still putting games on rails when they shouldn't, they still aren't advertising, they're still under-budgeting.

They're simply making worse products.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
The problem with developers is that they keep trying to go bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER! When really, all we gamers want (in general) is some satisfying gameplay. And the 2d Mario platforming formula is tried and true. Keepin' it simple is keepin' it fun.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Aero5555

They're simply making worse products.

goblaa

That statement couldn't be further from the truth. Unless the game is a cash-in or shovelware with the occassional bad game controls due to a QA screw up 3rd party games are getting better as time goes by. The problem is the volume of first-party games compared to 3rd-party, the margin's just too big. Most of who have a Wii use it only for family fun and buy first-party games exclusively while they satisfy their 3rd-party gaming needs with one of the other two.

3rd-party games aren't made to sell to the masses, simply because it's most likely not for the casual gamer which the Wii is depending on. I've been playing Tales of Symphonia II and it blows my mind how anybody with a love of RPGs and a Wii doesn't buy it ASAP, it's just as good as the first one gameplay-wise but still gets shred to pieces (6.5? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????) while games by Nintendo with half the effort and 1% of the depth sell like hot cakes. It's a sad sight no matter how you put it.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Well, nintendo hasn't been making crap games except for wii music (which bombed).goblaa

What is your deffinition of bombed? I'm pretty sure that Wii Music did pretty well.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Aero5555

What is your deffinition of bombed? I'm pretty sure that Wii Music did pretty well.

Arc2012

As of Febraury 2009 it sold 2.5 million units and Nintendo had the arrogance to call it "disappointing". I intentionally left that discussion out to not sound like I'm bashing Nintendo but since you brought it up...

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
a well-made 2D masterpiece is million times better than repetitive 3D shooter that plays exactly like the one i have played 2 years ago.funsohng
That's a bit hypocritical considering you've been playing the same Mario games for 20 years.