Catch-all Wii FAQ *Last Updated* 7/13/08 (56K) Back in Business

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

*Links to other FAQS:
*Graphical Comparison FAQ
*What you get, and what you need.

If you are new here, you might want to consult this FAQ first. This is a first time I wrote a FAQ so don't hesistate to report errors.I advise you to NOT quote any of my information, it'll keep the FAQ running smoothly and people won't have to scroll down a lot. Another I want to point is that this FAQ was NOT to answer questions about GameSpot. If you have a question on anything non-Wii related about GameSpot, go here. Feel free to PM me about any errors. The Table of Contents is currently being worked on for fast access.

(Use Ctrl and F to scroll down)

Table of Contents

The Console

Games

Controller

Virtual Console/WiiWare/Backward Compatible

Specs/Techs

Internte Connection

I. The Console

Question: What is the "Nintendo Wii"?

Answer: The Nintendo Wii (as in "we"), formerly codenamed Revolution, is the successor to the GameCube. As you can see, the Wii's size is about the size of three DVD cases stack together. The gray is part you see at the bottom is actually the "stand" in which you put the Wii on when you want to put it in vertical stand. It can still be played horizontal. The Wii retails for $250 in the U.S., 25,000 yens in Japan, 249 euros in Europe. The Wii was released in the U.S. in November 19, 2006; December 2, 2006 in Japan; December 8, 2006 in Europe. Except in Japan, the Wii will be bundled with Wi Sports. There are rumors that Nintendo will drop the price $200, but it will not come with Wii Sports. However this is not confirmed. As of June 2007, there are currently no other color options except white. It is unknown when the Wii will come in different colors.

Q: Why "Wii"?

A: Straight from Satoru Iwata (Current president of Nintendo): "While the code-name 'Revolution' expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games...and each other." In other words, Nintendo called it "Wii" so that it would be easy to be pronounced on any language. Here's a video of the introduction. It should worth noting that the two "i"s represent internactive. Also [From GameSpot] another note is that "ii" is Japanese for "Good".

II. Games

Q: What games will be on the Wii?

A: Here is a list complete list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

Q: How much are the games going to cost?

A: Nintendo stated their (first party) games will not be over $50.

III. The Controller

Q: Why the different game pad? What is going on?

A: No worries, although it may appear to be but a TV Remote, this is actually the controller. However, looks can be deceiving. You see, the controller has a 3D-free space. What that means is that moving the control will actually interact with the game. For example, a first person shooter like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition will have a cursor on the screen, meanwhile, in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, you can use the Wii Remote to swing Link's sword.

Q: What is that attached to the controller?

A: That is the "Nunchuk attachment". It has it's own motion sensor as well, but it's more similar to the PS3 controller's tilt sensor. For more information on the controller accessories see the accessories section.

Q: What's this "MotionPlus" attachment I keep hearing about?

A: Announced on E308, the MotionPlus will add more sensitivty to the controller. It'll have an attachment at the bottom, so you can still plug in your Nunchuck/C lassic Controller/etc.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 magiciandude

Internet

Q: How can I get my Wii online?

A: If you already can use the Wi-Fi featue on DS, then you can also use it for the Wii. If not, then you may use a LAN Adapter.

Q: How much?

Most retails sell the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB support for $40-50 (29.98-39.98 in UK), but Nintendo sells it for $30. The LAN adaptor sells for around $30

Q: So what about the Internet?

A: Using Internet connection with the Wii is free.

Q: Hey! I have a blue light on my Wii! Is there a hardware problem?

A: Absolutely not. It's simply you means you have a message.

Virtual Console/WiiWare/Backwards Compatible

Q: What's this "Virtual Console" I hear?

A: The Virtual Console is a service online that allows to download games from past generations, the NES, the SNES, the N64, and third party consoles like the Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, and NeoGeo. They can be compared to Apple iTunes or Walmart Downloads. Once you download a game, you will never have to pay again, even if you delete your game.

Q: How much are the games?

A: The cost are determined by points. Points can be purchased online or on retail for $20 (20 in EU)

100 points = $1

NES games = 500 points

SNES games = 800 points

N64 games = 1000

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis games = 800

NEC TurboGrafx-16 = 600

NEC TurboGrafx-CD = 800

Neo Geo = 900

MSX = 700

Q: Will Rareware games will be downloadable?

A: Games that were created by Rare (such as Banjo and Conker) will not be available due to Microsoft's ownership. However, games that are owned by Nintendo that were developed by Rare (such as Donkey Kong Country) will still be downloadable.

Q: And what's this WiiWare?

A: The WiiWare is like the Virtual Console, only except that original titles are downloadable games. It will be running later this year.

Backwards Compatible

Q: Is the Wii backwards compatible with the GameCube

A: Yes, it is 100% Backwards compatible with the GameCube. To play GameCube games however, you must use the GameCube controller. It will not work with other controllers. Also the GameCube games are still saved in the GameCube memory card, they will not save in the Flash Drive.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 magiciandude

VIII. Accessories

Q: What does the Wii offer for accessories?

A: This thread will answer your question

Specs/Techs

Q: What is the Wii's hardware?

A: Nintendo has yet to release a technical specification list, but it is known to be a simple advancement of the GameCube.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 magiciandude

X. Screenshots/Trailers

Q: Will you give me screenshots/trailersfor some ofthe Wii games?

A: Sure

Pictures:

Super Mario Galaxy:

Super Mario Galaxy

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption:

Sonic and the Secret Rings:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Trailers:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I hope you enjoyed my FAQ. :) Feel free to report any errors.

Copyright/Contact

Q: What permissions do I have?

A: I give the rights of this FAQ to GameSpot only. Which means, I made this FAQ for it to be CNET property only. If you want to post this FAQ at your site, PM me first, and I will decide. However, you do not need permission to post a link to this FAQ. The catch is, if I find out that you are plagerizing this FAQ, I will flag you, and will not stop until you give me credit.

Q: I have a question that's not on your FAQ, can you answer (insert question here)?
A: You are free to post a question here. I cannot guarantee every question to be answered though. Now here's the problem though, people lately have beenposting questions that is already answered in my FAQ and it is annoying to other people. This FAQ was made to help reduce the daily asked questions. Hence, this thread is called Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Also, as of 6/8/06, I WILL NOT answer any more questions in this thread that is already answeredin the FAQ. It is starting to irrate me, because it shouldn't be that hard to find. I'm continuing to make the format of this FAQ more easier.

(c) 2007

Avatar image for Legend_O_Dragon
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Legend_O_Dragon
Member since 2004 • 7029 Posts
I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though.
Bobakuzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Bobakuzero
Member since 2005 • 12162 Posts
Nice work pal. ;)
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 magiciandude

Wait didn't I just make one of these?DarkPassion

Did you? By the way, it would have been a lot more helpful if you waited till I was done. :(

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 magiciandude

I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though. Legend_O_Dragon

Thanks for the compliment. :) As for DarkPassion, nobody was suppose to post until I was done. :(

IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
Sticky plz.
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legend_O_Dragon

[QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though. magiciandude

Thanks for the compliment. :) As for DarkPassion, nobody was suppose to post until I was done. :(

Well no big deal, I just thought it looked kinda odd. Nice thread though....we needed an updated FAQ.
Congratulations and heres your prize.

shrum91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 shrum91
Member since 2005 • 3927 Posts
Good work. However, it is still up in the air wether Wi-Fi will be an XBL-like experience.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 magiciandude
[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though. Legend_O_Dragon

Well no big deal, I just thought it looked kinda odd. Nice thread though....we needed an updated FAQ.

Aw shucks. :oops: *eats 1/4 cookies and shares some with other people including you* :)

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 magiciandude

Sticky plz.IAmRodyle

I just PM'd MAILER_DAEMON. :wink:

Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Legend_O_Dragon
[QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] [QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though. magiciandude

Aw shucks. :oops: *eats 1/4 cookies and shares some with other people including you* :)

Me and the rest of the NRev board is very hungry.

darkpaladin99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darkpaladin99
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
do you know if the rev will have the remote controller for lefties.  It seems it could only be for righties.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 magiciandude

Good work. However, it is still up in the air wether Wi-Fi will be an XBL-like experience.
shrum91

Okay, I'll fix it in a jiffy. Thanks for letting me know.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 magiciandude

do you know if the rev will have the remote controller for lefties.  It seems it could only be for righties. darkpaladin99

I remember seeing somewhere about how Nintendo fixed the problem, but I can't exactly remember.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magiciandude
[QUOTE="magiciandude"][QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] [QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="Legend_O_Dragon"] I like it. Kinda odd of a gap in the middle where DarkPassion posted though. Legend_O_Dragon

Me and the rest of the NRev board is very hungry.

*gives everyone a cookie* :D

sonicspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonicspear
Member since 2004 • 373 Posts

You forgot about Rare.  They ain't gonna be providing any games made by them (except for the Donkey Kong Series since...you know:roll:.  So no Jetforce Gemini and such.

Great FAQ by the way.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magiciandude

You forgot about Rare.  They ain't gonna be providing any games made by them (except for the Donkey Kong Series since...you know:roll:.  So no Jetforce Gemini and such.

Great FAQ by the way.

sonicspear

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. :) I think I'll put in the incorrect information section.

EDIT: No, I'll put it in the VC section instead.

Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Legend_O_Dragon
w00t! Magician the thread is sticky! w00t!

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magiciandude

It's now stickied! Sweet! :D I'm glad to help out anytime. :)

Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Legend_O_Dragon
You forgot to add the Rev can play DVDs with an extra attachment.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 magiciandude

You forgot to add the Rev can play DVDs with an extra attachment. Legend_O_Dragon

That's odd, I thought I put it there. :? Oh well, mind as well add it.

Gabefrosner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gabefrosner
Member since 2005 • 225 Posts
[QUOTE="darkpaladin99"]do you know if the rev will have the remote controller for lefties. It seems it could only be for righties.

It's symmetrical, and made for whichever hand— It's for all gamers.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
lol goldeneye is not rares no more ea owns the bond license to that game series so if nintendo wanted ge theyll ask ea not rare , ALTHOUGH I SAW SCREEN SHOTS OF VC MENU AND I SAW BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE AND GOLDEN EYE ON THE LIST SO HALF IS WRONG UPDATE PLZ
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Legend_O_Dragon
lol goldeneye is not rares no more ea owns the bond license to that game series so if nintendo wanted ge theyll ask ea not rare , ALTHOUGH I SAW SCREEN SHOTS OF VC MENU AND I SAW BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE AND GOLDEN EYE ON THE LIST SO HALF IS WRONG UPDATE PLZmariokart64fan
Dont type like that you look dumb. Also that VC Menu was fake.
bumyip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bumyip
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

i think i may have spotted a mistake, in section IX : Just one more thing

i thought Nintendo's secret revealling will happen on may 9th, not 19th

could someone either prove me wrong or change that

thanks

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
What the hell, E3 is may 9th, not may 19th!!!
Avatar image for --Playstation--
--Playstation--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 --Playstation--
Member since 2006 • 326 Posts

VIII. Information Not True.

Q: What do you mean by that?

A: People tend to post stuff that are not to true merely just to get attention. Usually, they are mock-ups and have nothing to do with the console. Here are some notable fakes that are popular but NOT true:

Nintendo ON-This was created about a year ago or so. This mock-up was show that the Revolution will have Virtual Reality helmets. This was proven false by Reggie and the creator himself.

Nintneod GO: A recent fake made after GDC 2006. Basically, the person who made this lie said that this would be the Revolution name.

Xenias: I don't know when this was created, but it apparently looks cool mostly because of the graphics and futurstic styles. It's apparenlty fake because Nintendo has not shown any screen shot of any game (Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario 128 does not count because it was only shown with the GameCube's power).

IX. Just One More

Q: I have one more question, when will Nintendo reveal more secrets?

A: At E3 2006, (May 19, 2006).

I would like to thank you for your time reading this. If there's that needs to be added or fixed please let me know  so that I can change. I have one request. Please do NOT troll here or in this FAQ. Do not bash the Revolution or any other systems. Those kinds of posts belong to System Wars. I hoped you enjoyed. :)

magiciandude

Isn't E3 on May 9th-12th?

sheep_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sheep_nintendo
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
You need to edit the E3 bitty at the bottom. It's not May 19th :roll:
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magiciandude
Sorry about that date, I'll fix it immediately. I thought it was May 19th, sorry about that. :(
Val-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Val-x
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts

About the hardware, has anyone read http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html from IGN?

Man... I know Nintendo wasnt going to go in the super hardware race but damn, I woulda expected something a little bit more powerful than barely a Xbox. Common I figured five years later, they woulda at least fitted a 1.5GHz CPU in there or something, not like those are expensive these days... and also a more powerful GPU, those speculations are pointing at something not even twice as powerful as the GC. Man they better make it cheap if they expect me to buy one. (Id buy one anyway but damn I wouldnt be as happy.)

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wintry_Flutist

Sorry about that date, I'll fix it immediately. I thought it was May 19th, sorry about that. :(magiciandude

So E3 is gonna be 10 days earlier for you.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 magiciandude

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]Sorry about that date, I'll fix it immediately. I thought it was May 19th, sorry about that. :(Wintry_Flutist

O RLY?

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]Sorry about that date, I'll fix it immediately. I thought it was May 19th, sorry about that. :(magiciandude

O RLY?

Ya rly!!

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 magiciandude
[QUOTE="magiciandude"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]Sorry about that date, I'll fix it immediately. I thought it was May 19th, sorry about that. :(Wintry_Flutist

O RLY?

Ya rly!!

No Wai!

boo_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 boo_yeah
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts

Hey have you guys ever thought that when Iwata said the Revolution will make you say 'wow', it could have meet not just the graphics but all the things that it will have like: the dvd add-on, virtual console (downloading games)/backcataloging, being able to play the gamecube games, the awesome games w/the controller, controller attachments, etc.?

Only a thought.

Gabefrosner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gabefrosner

Hey have you guys ever thought that when Iwata said the Revolution will make you say 'wow', it could have meet not just the graphics but all the things that it will have like: the dvd add-on, virtual console (downloading games)/backcataloging, being able to play the gamecube games, the awesome games w/the controller, controller attachments, etc.?

Only a thought.

boo_yeah
No, Iwata was Talking about graphics— It's clear in context Besides, the graphics Are very good, anyway. Red Steel: I say wow.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magiciandude

lol goldeneye is not rares no more ea owns the bond license to that game series so if nintendo wanted ge theyll ask ea not rare , ALTHOUGH I SAW SCREEN SHOTS OF VC MENU AND I SAW BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE AND GOLDEN EYE ON THE LIST SO HALF IS WRONG UPDATE PLZmariokart64fan

It's true that Rare sold Goldent to EA, but the screen shotse of the VC Menu were fake.

RedRazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RedRazer
Member since 2006 • 285 Posts
I did not go through reading all the posts but why would Nintendo charge ppl for the old Snes, Nes, sega etc games? i mean of course they want to make money,  but i still dont get it, i mean, ill prolly end up buying certain games from the service but can any1 shed some light on the situation?

Cause u can always jus dl them for a emulator. And they say  that u can hook up ur rev to teh comp and store stuff there does that mean u could take games u dled off the net and put them on the rev?

All help welcome
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]lol goldeneye is not rares no more ea owns the bond license to that game series so if nintendo wanted ge theyll ask ea not rare , ALTHOUGH I SAW SCREEN SHOTS OF VC MENU AND I SAW BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE AND GOLDEN EYE ON THE LIST SO HALF IS WRONG UPDATE PLZmagiciandude

It's true that Rare sold Goldent to EA, but the screen shotse of the VC Menu were fake.

"fake" as in the various screens we see floating around the internet 'fake'?  No.

'twas a mockup, used by a Nintendo contracted marketing firm, as part of a usability study.  Whether that marketing company created those entirely themselves, or with any guidelines or assistance from Nintendo is entirely unknown.  So, while these are not fan-created fakes, and are 'official' screens, we have no idea how close they come to representing the actual interface, or any contents within that interface.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 magiciandude
[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]lol goldeneye is not rares no more ea owns the bond license to that game series so if nintendo wanted ge theyll ask ea not rare , ALTHOUGH I SAW SCREEN SHOTS OF VC MENU AND I SAW BANJO KAZOOIE TOOIE AND GOLDEN EYE ON THE LIST SO HALF IS WRONG UPDATE PLZSpelunker

"fake" as in the various screens we see floating around the internet 'fake'?  No.

'twas a mockup, used by a Nintendo contracted marketing firm, as part of a usability study.  Whether that marketing company created those entirely themselves, or with any guidelines or assistance from Nintendo is entirely unknown.  So, while these are not fan-created fakes, and are 'official' screens, we have no idea how close they come to representing the actual interface, or any contents within that interface.

Do you mean kind of like the shell mockup made by IGN? In terms of similiarity in examples I mean.

crasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 crasper
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

:o

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 magiciandude

crasper

I know, it's too much isn't it? :P

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
The Bob Ross game is also for the PC and DS, not just Revolution.
Gabefrosner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gabefrosner
Do you mean kind of like the shell mockup made by IGN? In terms of similiarity in examples I mean.magiciandude
It's more real than that: IGN is not working For Nintendo, eh? However, the look May be completely different: It's not official.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

I did not go through reading all the posts but why would Nintendo charge ppl for the old Snes, Nes, sega etc games? i mean of course they want to make money,  but i still dont get it, i mean, ill prolly end up buying certain games from the service but can any1 shed some light on the situation?

Cause u can always jus dl them for a emulator. And they say  that u can hook up ur rev to teh comp and store stuff there does that mean u could take games u dled off the net and put them on the rev?

All help welcome
RedRazer

Yes you do have to pay for them, but at a pretty low price. You could gain 'free downloads' with a certain game as Nintendo and first-party devs are doing. So you could download a certain game free when you purchase a first-party Rev title. Free downloads may also come as a bonus when you buy the Rev.