3DS still has a future. Not being replaced by Switch.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/kimishima_on_the_role_of_the_3ds_after_the_switch_launch

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RonnieAV
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

How could it? Switch's "handheld" battery life is atrocious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@ronnieav: 6 hours, right? It's really not that bad, for a system as powerful as it is.

Anyway, I think it's kind of a poor move on Nintendo's part, not to focus all of their energy onto developing for a single, unified system. The Switch needs all the support it can get. And personally, I'd like for it to succeed.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Black96Z

@Ovirew: could be that the unannounced games could have been in development before the NS was announced. And with the last console not selling well they might not be ready to make the Switch until their confidence has been restored in "console" systems.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Given that the sales are still pretty decent, I don't see them killing it off too soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I guess to me it's like, if you are a 2nd-party dev working under Nintendo, you'd think the big-wigs would've made a stop at your studio and been like, "Hey dawg, I heard you like developing games, and I'mma letchu finish, but could you start work on this new system for us asap?"

Now we have like 4 1st & 2nd party games being developed for the 3DS through May (Tank Troopers, Yoshi & Poochy, Mario Sports Superstars and Fire Emblem Gaiden) And, there is still a Pikmin 3DS game on the way.

Grezzo, a smaller dev who helmed the 3DS ports of OOT and Majora's Mask, as well as the development of Zelda: Triforce heroes (among other things), also has an original game called Ever Oasis coming to the 3DS this year. With so much emphasis on the Switch now, it's likely the title will get overlooked when it comes to the 3DS.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

@ronnieav said:

How could it? Switch's "handheld" battery life is atrocious.

But its almost the exact same battery life as the 3DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Nintendo said the same thing about the GBA when the DS was released. Remember how Nintendo said that the DS was not a Gameboy replacement but instead it was their "3rd pillar", but the Gameboy still soon faded away.

If the Nintendo Switch is successful, I doubt we will see much support for the 3DS after next year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@storm_of_swords said:

Nintendo said the same thing about the GBA when the DS was released. Remember how Nintendo said that the DS was not a Gameboy replacement but instead it was their "3rd pillar", but the Gameboy still soon faded away.

If the Nintendo Switch is successful, I doubt we will see much support for the 3DS after next year.

My thoughts exactly. Nintendo likes to be careful how they position new devices early on, which is maybe understandable, but I feel like what they should be doing right now is fully embracing the Switch as a hybrid. Let's face it, we all know it is one - that is pretty much a major selling-point here.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black96Z

If the NS were to fail like the Wii U, wouldnt they want to continue supporting the 3ds to keep the cash flowing?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Black96Z: Just like Nintendo announced they weren't ending Wii U production.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I don't know why people keep listening to the company line. They are only saying this because of two reasons: One, they don't know how well the Switch will do and don't want to have to take their foot out their mouth later. Second, the 3DS is still selling well and they don't want to cannibalize its sells with Switch by saying its on its way out. But....its on its way out, but they want to sell more 3DS throughout this year.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@Ovirew: How is two hours the same as a 3DS? Or are we taliking launch model. .

Maybe if you blast the speakers and have the 3D on all the time, but even then I think N3DS is 4 hours.

I use my N3DS an average of 4-6 hours for travel during weekdays, each day. From my understanding, Switch is not up to that with a likely 2 hours!

I hope they'll announce a NewSwitch or something because 2 hours is pretty pathetic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@RSM-HQ: I had thought the system got closer to 6 hours in general, so I was a little dismayed to read that mileage varies quite a bit depending on the game. Anyway, I'm still pretty excited for the Switch. 3 hours for Zelda might not be as amazing as 4 or 5, but it's still pretty incredible to be able to take a game like that along with you somewhere. Maybe there are other system settings that can be adjusted to get better battery life out of the Switch? I guess we'll just have to see.

Anyway, I guess some games will take more, some games will take less. It still won't impact things most of the time when I'm sitting around my apartment and want to play a game portably, and at any rate the Switch is likely good for at least a 2 or 3-hour multiplayer session somewhere. I guess if people want to do some LANing, they should keep some charge cables handy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Doesn't matter how hard we use our 3DS's, they'll kill it off. I mean they already trying without giving us too much.

I just feel Nintendo is all over the place, they made the perfect hardware for a 3DS successor, yet they peddling it like a console with motion controls, and years ago said they combined both development teams into 1 team so everyone assumed the hybrid was so that all games are gonna be put on 1 system, a notion everyone believes, yet any Nintendo fan gonna listen to the "3DS will be supported til 2018", yet all we got Mario Sports Superstars and FE Echos coming first half, but then there is only Pikmin and BoxBoy 3. Personally I wonder why they aren't all co-released with Switch. This isn't even considering the whole GBA and DS thing.

I wonder if Nintendo cuts off 3DS development from 3rd party. Cause if I was all those JRPG devs and publishers, it would be cool having all that new power, but they either release an easy game to make on a system with 60 million devices, or they make a longer more expensive game on a brand new system. I mean the only 3DS-like game on Switch was Octopath.

Personally I think 3DS is perfect, it just needed no 3D and upgraded the dual screen setup.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Wont die anytime soon. Games are still coming out for it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Of course he would say that, cause they don't know how well Switchy will sell....just wait IF Switchy sells good...you can be sure they will pull support from 3DS soon...can't keep supporting 3DS forever. :P

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@Ovirew said:

@ronnieav: 6 hours, right? It's really not that bad, for a system as powerful as it is.

Anyway, I think it's kind of a poor move on Nintendo's part, not to focus all of their energy onto developing for a single, unified system. The Switch needs all the support it can get. And personally, I'd like for it to succeed.

2.5 hours of continuous use, nice try though fanboy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@csward said:
@Ovirew said:

If you'd read the remainder of the conversation, you'd see that I realized the Switch gets between 2.5 and 6 hours of continuous use.

And it's between 2.5 and 6 hours of continuous use, nice try though, angsty troll.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@ronnieav: 3ds is6 hrs just as long as switch

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts
@csward said:
@Ovirew said:

Get outta my fan club.

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

@csward:

@csward said:
@Ovirew said:

Wrong! It's between 2.5 to 6 hours of use. It varies from game to game.