What one game will convince you the 3DS is better than DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

What upcoming game will have you saying the 3DS will blow the DS away and out of the water?

I mean, what is something unannounced that will make you say....aha! 3DS is clear winner over DS!?

For me, Metroid, Majora's Mask, as well as code name S.T.E.A.M

I'm sure there are others, but I will leave it up to you guys. Have your say.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#2 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Considering how spectacular the DS line-up was, I don't think a single game could achieve that.

However, given how the DS was devoid of a great Metroid game, I think the announcement of a great sidescrolling Samus adventure would give the 3DS quite a boost.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Well a sidescrolling Metroid would certainly help, as would more Castlevania games headed by Igarashi (which sadly will never happen again it seems) and a bunch of old school Square Enix and Atlus JRPGs (how about another Dept. Heaven game?!)

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By outworld222

Ya, that's true guys. I also forgot to mention other-honerable games such as Monster Hunter 4, Minecraft, and possibly a new Resident Evil <---------a new RE would be so good.

Edit: Advanced wars too would be awesome.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The 3DS will never match the DS' library.

The 3DS has a real knack of lacking games, the DS never had that problem.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

A well made Metroid and Advance Wars.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The DS has the better overall lineup, but the 3DS for me has some of the better games. I personally think Fire Emblem and SMTIV are better than anything on the DS.

But perhaps another Ghost Trick or good JRPG will make for a better 3DS lineup.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

After 2013, the 3DS has already done it for me. I prefer it over the DS.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

A single game could never really make a system better compared to another, since you generally buy a gaming system for multiple games.

I'll say though that A Link Between Worlds was WAY better than either DS Zelda title. And I liked Mario and Luigi Dream team moreso than either Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Half Life 3(DS)

On a more serious note, a new and improved Solatorobo or Okamiden might alter the balance in favour of the 3DS for me.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Jaysonguy: 3DS lacks games? Oh shut up Jasonguy, unless you were thinking the Wii U lol. in which case your still wrong.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

The DS has The World Ends With You, so I lean towards that. But I could play my whole DS library on my 3DS. So 3DS wins by default. Seriously though, I need some sort of sequel to TWEWY. That was one of the best games I've played in a long time and that soundtrack is great.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By outworld222

@DJ-Lafleur said:

A single game could never really make a system better compared to another, since you generally buy a gaming system for multiple games.

I'll say though that A Link Between Worlds was WAY better than either DS Zelda title. And I liked Mario and Luigi Dream team moreso than either Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story.

I agree on many points.

But I'd like to see a spiritual successor to the DS Zeldas. These titles can be explored in more depth.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#14 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

The DS has the better overall lineup, but the 3DS for me has some of the better games. I personally think Fire Emblem and SMTIV are better than anything on the DS.

But perhaps another Ghost Trick or good JRPG will make for a better 3DS lineup.

^^^^This. The RPG line-up for DS is one of the best, i.e. I still have a strong urge to replay Suikoden Tierkreis this year, and yet SMTIV is an amazing game and worth a 3DS fee alone...to keep the topic though, I'd say it's lacking some the adventure titles like Secret Files:Tunguska or the detective type games.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Maybe the 3DS won't surpass the DS. I personally feel that the DS was amazing but did not surpass the GBA. I freaking love that handheld and still play and buy games for it.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I doubt it'll ever surpass the DS overall, but a new Metroid that is like Super Metroid would be huge. Also, it'll have a Smash Bros game, STEAM, and I imagine another Zelda game... Throw in a bunch of quality JRPGs like the DS had and it may come close.

Plus, since I love Monolith soft these days, I want to see what their rumored 3DS project is. If it's a story driven JRPG then 3DS will really compete for me!

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I want to see an Elite Beat Agents 2. If I hadn't already bought a 3DS I'd buy one just for that.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dirtymangle
Member since 2014 • 36 Posts

@outworld222: Problem is that it was so much cheaper to make games for the DS that they could just pump out greatness after greatness, with the 3DS we just get a big title once every 2-3 month... so with that in mind, the 3DS cant beat the DS library, IMO. But of course, a true sequel to Super Metroid might flip some heads ;)

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 outworld222

@dirtymangle said:

@outworld222: Problem is that it was so much cheaper to make games for the DS that they could just pump out greatness after greatness, with the 3DS we just get a big title once every 2-3 month... so with that in mind, the 3DS cant beat the DS library, IMO. But of course, a true sequel to Super Metroid might flip some heads ;)

Indeed that's very true. I just think we need to study the greatness that is the DS, and what we can do to add to it's greatness on the 3DS.

@-paranorman- said:

Maybe the 3DS won't surpass the DS. I personally feel that the DS was amazing but did not surpass the GBA. I freaking love that handheld and still play and buy games for it.

Ya the GBA is legendary in some people's eyes. And understandably so.

@MirkoS77 said:

A well made Metroid and Advance Wars.

Welp, that would cap the 3DS as better than any handheld I've seen.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#20 ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

tbh the 3ds has not yet beaten the ds. 2 games: dreamer series zoo keeper, and sherlock holmes and the mystery of the osbourne house

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Jaysonguy: 3DS lacks games? Oh shut up Jasonguy, unless you were thinking the Wii U lol. in which case your still wrong.

The DS library was vastly larger and had more than three times the developer support over the same period of time as the 3DS had been around.

I'm confused why you don't know that

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@Jaysonguy: The DS much like the Wii was lightning in a bottle, it will never happen again. Also while the game library was HUGE, your forgetting the DS had FAR more shovelware junk then the 3DS does.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

RE: Revelations, OoT & SF4..yea DS try to do that...oh you can't. :P

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Jaysonguy: The DS much like the Wii was lightning in a bottle, it will never happen again. Also while the game library was HUGE, your forgetting the DS had FAR more shovelware junk then the 3DS does.

This begs the question: Is it really lightning in a bottle if it happens TWICE in a row? That's a strange case of mother nature working right there...

Anyways, the DS had more "shovelware" because it had far more developer support than the 3DS. That's what's going to happen when one system is just THAT popular. That doesn't take away from the DS' greatness in the slightest, though. As to the main topic, if there was a single game that could convince people of the 3DS' superiority over its predecessor, it would have already been released by now. The fact that this is a topic suggests that the 3DS' never did get that one "special" game that was supposed to prove its oh-so-special importance that Nintendo once talked about prior to the system's launch. That's not to say that the 3DS doesn't have quality titles, but I think it's fair to say that, like the Wii U, it hasn't received that one transcendent game that would propel it to an entirely new status as a game platform. Frankly, I see most of the 3DS' best games as offerings that would have been better on a console to begin with, something that couldn't be said about many of the DS' top offerings at the time.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ail_taco

@Madmangamer364 weirder stuff has happened

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ail_taco

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

F-Zero, Majora Mask, a more effort made Metroid Prime Hunters sequel, FF7 remake, or a WELL-MADE Dark Souls/Skyrim/Dragon Age-esque type 3D adventure game

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Madmangamer364

@ail_taco said:

In regards to what, exactly? The success of the DS and Wii, or the idea that a system-defining 3DS game that would break the system's barriers is still possible?

As for the former, the philosophy behind what made both the DS and Wii the megahits they became was well-meditated, planned, and executed. The reasons why Nintendo chose to go in the direction it did with those two systems have been well-documented for anyone willing enough to look, with charts and numbers to prove what Nintendo was getting ready to do was the right choice at the time. Using the term "lightning in a bottle" for both platforms clearly overlooks any of that evidence and doesn't even try to provide any sort of logic as to how or why the two systems were such huge hits. On the plus side, at least Master_Of_Fools does link the success of the two systems together, which is more than most people have done over the years in trying to explain the Wii's dominance of the industry in its prime.

As far as the 3DS is concerned, the reason why we won't see that transcendent game come now is because even Nintendo has moved on from the notion that the 3DS is a true game-changing platform. The direction of the system is now one that seems comfortable in the niche it has already found, and that niche certainly isn't built around anything wholly original or innovative. Also, because developer support for the system isn't as strong or varied as its predecessor, the likelihood of that game coming from someone else is also slim-to-none. No one's going to make a risky move with the platform because the system and its audience are content with each other. Just look at the other comments on this board; no one's asking for a game-changer. Instead, everyone just wants to experience the tried-and-true all over again with the 3DS, and frankly, many of those offerings would be better suited on the Wii U at this point...

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Of_Fools

@Madmangamer364: Gotta think of it this way, the Wii and DS shared a generation, so basically Nintendo had lightning in a bottle for the 7th generation which is 1 thing.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Madmangamer364

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Madmangamer364: Gotta think of it this way, the Wii and DS shared a generation, so basically Nintendo had lightning in a bottle for the 7th generation which is 1 thing.

Nope. Still not buying it. The DS' success in no way guaranteed that the Wii would also be successful. In fact, prior to the Wii's release, that's what most critics were saying about the Wii's chances when people brought up what the DS was doing at the time. "That doesn't mean anything. The console market is very different" is what you got most of the time the DS was even brought up before the Wii was released. No one would call the NES/Game Boy successes as linked, and therefore, lightning in a bottle, nor are people linking the PS4 with the Vita as we speak. The fact of the matter is that the DS and Wii were two successful products, and while they may indeed have been part of the same gaming generation and even have the same philosophical drive behind them, they both succeeded on their own merits as well. The Wii couldn't sit on the DS' achievements and expect positive results; it was successful because Nintendo made it that way.

Don't know why it's so hard for people to say that Nintendo simply did the right thing with those two systems, especially the Wii. The industry has been way too quick in trying to dismiss what Nintendo accomplished with the DS and Wii from day one, which really goes to show the true colors of a lot of people these days when it comes to how healthy the industry really wants to be. My apologies if I don't share the same commonly-expressed opinion as the majority of gamers in regards to this subject, but I certainly see no reason to change my stance at this point. :P

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Of_Fools

@Madmangamer364: I didn't say the DS guaranteed the Wii's success...

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

Golden Sun, and Advance Wars. The Advance Wars series may be my favorite Nintendo handheld game of all time.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

Technically since you can play all DS games on the 3DS, it's already better for obvious reasons. By itself, the 3DS still has a great library though and one game that might convince you is Bravely Default if you like RPGs.

Another great game that quickly faded from the forefront is Heroes of Ruin. It's basically a Diablo clone but unfortunately came out right before Diablo III. A portable dungeon crawler with a dynamically generated loot system and four player co-op with StreetPass integration is pretty awesome.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Madmangamer364

@Master_Of_Fools:

You said that the Wii and DS were both "lightning in a bottle," given the fact that they shared the same gen. You're completely joining two products with different brands and key titles together as one thing now simply because they were released in a similar time frame, which doesn't mean anything by itself. Other console/portable platforms haven't had the same results, despite being released next to one another, as I said before. You may not have outright said that the DS guaranteed the Wii's success, but you're not exactly giving either platform credit for the successes they've obtained on their own, either.

So, what is it? Are we now going to call the entirety of last gen "lightning in a bottle," especially since it seems possible that no one will be able to duplicate the success they have with previous platforms? Heck, maybe we could also call the PS1/2 "lightning in a bottle" now, since it looks like the brand will never reach that level of commercial greatness again... That's a different subject altogether, though, now isn't it? :P However, if that's not the case, then I'd like to retort my original question: Is it really lightning in a bottle if you have two major successes happen twice in a row? Just something to think about...

To outworld222: My apologies for derailing this thread a little bit. Just felt the desire to dig deeper into something... :P

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Master_Of_Fools

@Madmangamer364: Again the DS and Wii were in the same generation from Nintendo. That time period was lightning in a bottle for Nintendo not the systems. As for the PS1? It didn't sell super amazing. PS2 yes, PS1 was alright.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Palafoxg17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Palafoxg17
Member since 2015 • 44 Posts

A Pokémon Emerald remake( honest truth).

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@palafoxg17: yo ! It's a 2 year old thread.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@raugutcon said:

@palafoxg17: yo ! It's a 2 year old thread.

It seems he is unware of this or just ignoring you.