Should I get a Ps3 or a WiiU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

I can't make up my mind which console would be the best bet to get. Its very likely this is the only new console I get this year , getting it next month (February). I have 3 systems (I've owned wide variety of other systems in the past), X-Box (original), Ps2, Ps4..

The WiiU has games I like, for example Smash Bros (especially!) , Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Wii games Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trillogy, Xenoblade Chronicles. Not really a fan of Mario games but I like most of the other nintendo franchises. It'll continue to be supported as nintendo's flagship console for at least a few years ..

However , Ps3 (much cheaper if I get it used) has a mamoth library of titles released for it, many of the are fairly cheap since its a quite old console by today's standards. I have PsPlus so I'd consistently get free games for it.

Some Ps3 games I'd pick up off the top of my head: Metal Gear Legacy Collection, Uncharted 1-3, God of War Saga, Tales of games, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 collections, some of the japanese themed games and rpgs if they're any good. Ps3 defintely wins the quantity argument at this point.

Only real bad thing about the Ps3 is that its an aging console and the support for its online services and games that will be made for it will probably see a big drop off in 2015 and 2016 . So the WiiU definitely beats it in the future proof catagory.

Games I Currently Own:

- Ps4 : with PlayStation Plus, Dragon Age Inquisition, Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition, Velocity 2x, Infamous First Light, and Dust: An Elysian Tale.

- Ps2: With Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest 8, Devil May Cry 1-3, Tekken 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 1, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, and about 15 other games

- X Box (original): Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2, Fable 1, Soul Calibur 2

- Games I own but don't have the consoles: Soul Calibur 4 (Ps3) , Soul Calibur 4 (360), Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (360) , Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think Wii U just to add another dimension to your set of consoles. You should maybe consider a New 3DS instead of a Wii U. It has a bigger library, and further adds another dimension to your set of consoles by being handheld.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NoZakuBoy09

so no one else is going to answer on the nintendo board? haha..

Well I'm leaning towards getting a WiiU now and Ps3 later. Ps3 is cheaper and likely will be even cheaper once I get one possibly late this year or sometime next year. Can probably get a used one for a good bit under $200 in decent condition..

Also since I'm in grad school and about to start a full time job, I don't have a lot of time for huge engrossing story heavy games anyway (as evidenced in my almost complete halt of progress made in Dragon Age Inquisition Ps4) , as much as I enjoy playing them. Only time I'd ever have to invest in them that much would be primarily on vacation days and would take a whole year to finish an lengthy rpg if I want to complete most of the quests haha.

Going probably get the WiiU and Smash Bros 4 , and 1 extra controller since I have some friends with more controllers. Get a few matches in in my free time and play some old school nintendo games from the Virtual Console that I can play in short bursts.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@nozakuboy09:

Wii U hasn't had a major price drop in a long, long time. A price drop is incoming, guaranteed. Probably in a few months at E3.

It launched in 2012 and you TC waited until Jan 2015...you may as well wait a few more months or end of year and grab the Wii U at a discount. You waiting this long should pay off.

That said, I own a Wii U. I also own all the systems though. Obviously, older systems like the PS3 have a giant catalog of games that the Wii U can't compete with and the PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies. You mentioned you have PS+? That service you already have would apply to the PS3. That's 3-4 games a month you'll have on your PS3 now.

The Wii U on the other hand is a nice choice for the future, although it is struggling to find an audience, guaranteed I get about 3-4 games a year on it. If you ever owned a N64, Gamecube, Wii...then you'll have an idea of what the Wii U is like. I only buy exclusives for my Wii U as I planned a decade before the machine even released. If you like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc...you'll be at home.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

You should get a Wii U because there may not be another console like it. The Wii U will be the sleeper console that people will look back on and wished they tried, but didn't. The gamepads are not presently sold in the stores so they will not be a dime a dozen later, unless Nintendo decides to make them available at retail. Even if you are not a fan of Mario games (why not? they are hard, but fun!), you get to play all of the other Nintendo games that are not available on the other consoles, Wii games (like you said), and e-shop games. If you get a Wii U let us know what games you got, and what you think of the console.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think you would enjoy the Wii U more. You would be able to have tons of fun online just from a couple of the games you have listed. Plus having something "current" i feel might make you happier. For instance, talking about current games on forums and game sites etc. PS3 is still good, Shadow of Colossus, GTA, Dark Souls, etc, some great cheap games. Wii U would cost you more yes, maybe even way more, but if you want to play online and with others, then i would say go Wii U or something current. Pick PS3 if you want to enjoy gaming by yourself and save a bunch of money. Can grab a bunch of great games for cheap. Just understand that most people have already moved pass these games and most new games coming out will be for next gen.

azizaam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By azizaam
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

If I was you i would buy a wii u, the library will get bigger and Nintendo have done a couple great games for the wii u that you have to play. I did not regret buying my wii u. you could buy a ps3 on ebay or something and get a collection of games later in you life.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

It is best not to mention a non-Nintendo system here on this forum and the question would be best asked in System Wars.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

Depends on what you want out of games. Some people say they never use it, but I use it every day. I love their first party offerings and it definitely warrants a purchase of the system for me. If you have physical friends, Nintendo is still local multiplayer king. The best party machine. Wii U is also keeping my marriage healthy.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoZakuBoy09

Well I've decided on getting WiiU haha, thanks a lot guys. I'm getting it next Friday (2/13) day before Valentine's Day..

I'll get a Ps3 sometime later this year, hopefully the price will keep dropping for it xD

These are the consoles I eventually want to have during this current generation : (1) X-Box [own](2) Ps2 [own] (3) Ps3 (4) Ps4 [own] (5) WiiU (6) NEW 3DSXL

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

welcome to the best gamming systems period...nintendo!

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@KBFloYd:

Agreed!

Also it was mentioned by the TC early on that having Wii compatibility is also a plus. I love being able to play those games and not have to still have my Wii out on my entertainment rack.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KBFloYd

@cheesie253 said:

@KBFloYd:

Agreed!

Also it was mentioned by the TC early on that having Wii compatibility is also a plus. I love being able to play those games and not have to still have my Wii out on my entertainment rack.

i still have my wii hooked up to play call of duty 4 and mw3...i dont feel like doing a system transfer to my wiiU.. :P

besides...the wii uses component so i dont have to use any hdmi slots on my tv.

once the disc drive dies on my wii im going to put it in the closet where supposedly all 100million wii owners have theirs ;) ..yea right.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cheesie253

@KBFloYd:

Although mine is not hooked up it is on the shelf in my Nintendo shrine room where I have all my all retro/classic Nintendo collection at. I hate the hate the system gets. Yeah it was overrun with shovelware and crap games but there are so many great games as well that so many people have missed because the system was just a "fad".

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KBFloYd

@cheesie253 said:

@KBFloYd:

Although mine is not hooked up it is on the shelf in my Nintendo shrine room where I have all my all retro/classic Nintendo collection at. I hate the hate the system gets. Yeah it was overrun with shovelware and crap games but there are so many great games as well that so many people have missed because the system was just a "fad".

yes great games...i liked the motion controls too....i was a bit sad they left motion controls for wiiU.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cheesie253

@KBFloYd:

I was so against it at first but after playing with them they were great. SMG2 is an example, among others, of how perfectly they can work.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

Wii U without a doubt. It gets a lot of gameplay in my home. More than I ever expected. Last year I played a lot of PS3, but Nintendo seems to be getting better with its support finally.