onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

This is to let everyone know that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sold about 250,000 copies in the U.S. according NPD Group.

Source

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Awesome! And 100k+ in Japan. Not to mention UK and Europe and all the other places. I wouldn't be shocked at all if it becomes a million seller. Not bad at all for a new IP.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yea let's hope Nintendo is happy with it..that's what matters, if they aren't then pom! POM!...laid to rest. :P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That's 250,000 awesome people.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

God that's awful

So in other words don't get too attached to the franchise because it was a huge failure

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's the best game ever. I hope they add more levels in the form of DLC. I wouldn't mind paying for that at all.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bunchanumbers

@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

So in other words don't get too attached to the franchise because it was a huge failure

By the end it will sell over a million units. Not bad at all for a puzzle/platform game where you can't jump.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

Loading Video...

That's all I have to say.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

That's not bad for the U.S. alone. I still need to pick it up. I liked the puzzles in super Mario 3d world so I think I would like this game.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I wouldn't go as far as to say it will be a million-seller, but the numbers are not bad, really. It's actually selling better than I thought it would at this point. Congrats to the Toadster! :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

damn thats way better than i thought.

i thought it was going to bomb like wonderful101.

good for Toad!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

A budget title, that's a puzzler, that is not necessarily kid friendly, that's "Captained" (pun intended) by Toad who isn't Mario from a marketing perspective, on a platform that isn't selling too well, that was advertised very heavily, that began as a mini-game, sold roughly half a million units thus far?

Sounds like it did well to me.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

I doubt it cost a whole lot to develop to it looks like Nintendo made a profit on the game. Hurrah!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Not bad, assuming

1. It did not cost a lot to make
2. The game has legs

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Add 1 more to the sales when I get my copy next week.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I wasn't expecting the game to sell that much but hey, I'm not complaining.

Good game.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

It's a really good game. Should of sold more. Not bad I guess since it didn't really get much attention.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchanumbers

@Madmangamer364 said:

@bunchanumbers: I wouldn't go as far as to say it will be a million-seller, but the numbers are not bad, really. It's actually selling better than I thought it would at this point. Congrats to the Toadster! :)

I think a month after the Euro launch it should already be more than halfway there. If it has the legs that Nintendo games historically have then I wouldn't be shocked at all if it passes the million seller mark. Not to mention the Toad Amiibo and the possibility of DLC. I wouldn't even be surprised if a sequel happens in the future. Not bad at all for a new IP with a under appreciated character.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

@bunchanumbers said:

@Madmangamer364 said:

I think a month after the Euro launch it should already be more than halfway there. If it has the legs that Nintendo games historically have then I wouldn't be shocked at all if it passes the million seller mark. Not to mention the Toad Amiibo and the possibility of DLC. I wouldn't even be surprised if a sequel happens in the future. Not bad at all for a new IP with a under appreciated character.

Are you *#&*#@&*@# kidding me?

The game does miserable in Japan but the excuse is Japan doesn't like consoles, fine.

Then it releases for NA and it only does 250k more? Does North America not like consoles anymore?

Factor in the multiple buy two get one free sales this holiday season, especially at Toys R Us and it's sales exclusively on Wii U software, and this is awful.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bunchanumbers

@Jaysonguy said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Madmangamer364 said:

The game does miserable in Japan but the excuse is Japan doesn't like consoles, fine.

Then it releases for NA and it only does 250k more? Does North America not like consoles anymore?

Factor in the multiple buy two get one free sales this holiday season, especially at Toys R Us and it's sales exclusively on Wii U software, and this is awful.

Between the US and Japan alone its over 370k units. It also has tons of regions that haven't reported their sales yet but it was top 10 in germany for 2 weeks and has been a best seller in France. This isn't even including eshop sales. When Nintendo announces their numbers I bet it will be higher than you think it will be.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

@bunchanumbers said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Madmangamer364 said:

Between the US and Japan alone its over 370k units. It also has tons of regions that haven't reported their sales yet but it was top 10 in germany for 2 weeks and has been a best seller in France. This isn't even including eshop sales. When Nintendo announces their numbers I bet it will be higher than you think it will be.

Yeah but here's the thing that makes the NA numbers so alarming.

You had Smash Bros sell very well and then you have nationwide retailers doing promotions for multiple games and while everyone picked up Smash Bros they failed to pick up Toad for their free game or their 40% off game.

This is the Wii U we're talking about, it's got hardly any games so when people bought Smash they grabbed other games instead of Toad. With the lack of software on the Wii U people made a conscious choice not to grab Toad.

If people weren't willing to get Toad for free or at a greatly reduced price how do you expect it to sell well when Nintendo has a long history of not lowering the prices on their games?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bunchanumbers

They weren't willing because there were bigger and more known games that were available. Its common sense that they would get the bigger games. But as word gets out the sales have improved. Look at the Japan sales. The second week sales were better than the launch sales. And has been steady ever since.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Ok, here's how I see it... considering the fact that we're talking about a Wii U exclusive being released shortly after Super Smash Bros. and all of the attention that series manages to get, I don't think Captain Toad did horribly. We could argue that with Toad being a Mario character, it underperformed in that regard, but it's also a puzzle-based spinoff that wasn't going to get the same push the traditional Mario platformers receive. Sure, it was released in December, but given that we're talking about the Wii U here, I actually don't find the release month as relevant as I would with other systems, even with the holiday-based sales that usually occur in that month.

IMO, I think the game is actually over-performing a bit. On the other hand, I still don't see the game being a million seller; the whole argument about Nintendo games having legs doesn't hold nearly the same weight with Wii U/3DS titles as it did with Wii/DS games. What people seem to forget about a game having legs is that the game must have great mass market appeal in order to sell beyond the conventional, dedicated fanbase. The Wii U as a whole doesn't have great mass market appeal; and therefore, even the most popular of titles on the system will only have about a month and half of high sales and then burn out, not unlike most high-profile games on other platforms. Not even Mario Kart 8's sales were that impressive after its first 4-6 weeks on the market, so it's very unlikely that Captain Toad will be able to break the trend.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bunchanumbers

according to vgc its undertracked there and its around 470-480k. They predict by their next global update that Captain Toad will be over 500k. Not bad at all.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@sirk1264 said:

That's not bad for the U.S. alone. I still need to pick it up. I liked the puzzles in super Mario 3d world so I think I would like this game.

Better hurry, it seems to already be scarce with some retailers selling it above the SRP.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#26 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

I imagine in the end it will have been profitable and a minor success for Nintendo. I hope we see more; it'd be a great candidate for $10 expansion DLC via the "books".

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

You cant compare Nintendo development cost to the over bloated western cost, just look at fatal frame and they still make those.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

If you are gonna troll, go troll in the System Wars forums, where it belongs. Leave sheep alone. Jeez, I just came from the other thread you trolled at over Hyrule Warriors.

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Some pretty good sales for a new IP. It had a commercial, that must have helped a lot. I'm one that still hasn't bought it. But I'm yearning for some puzzle gameplay and don't think I'll be able to resist much longer.

JimClirad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 JimClirad
Member since 2014 • 267 Posts

Latest sales reports on VG Chartz has it just over 800K, meaning next year at this time it's likely to cross 1 million worldwide lifetime sales.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

By the end it will sell over a million units. Not bad at all for a puzzle/platform game where you can't jump.

Unless the numbers in this discussion are off, it is a very long ways away from one million. Don't forget it was only $39.99 at least here in the states so it was a great deal cheaper than a normal release.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

Unless the numbers in this discussion are off, it is a very long ways away from one million. Don't forget it was only $39.99 at least here in the states so it was a great deal cheaper than a normal release.

For its budget it sold and made Nintendo mad bank.

"Approximately 250,000 copies were sold during its first month in the United States.[21] In Japan, roughly 155,000 copies of the game had been sold by the end of June 2015."

Its rumored to be at almost 1 million sold. And were not counting digital, just physical. The game is a smashing success.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Solaryellow

Of course the game is a success. The development costs couldn't have been too expensive since it came out months after the E3 it was announced. The game had very little content as well. Being a million seller has yet to be seen though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Solaryellow: True, its not at 1 million, if it were, Nintendo would have announced it i would think.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

so not even 1/10th the install base?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@tiny_rick: Isnt it amazing, not even 1/10th the install base but yet Nintendo is banking hard. Nintendo be so smart.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

@mesome713 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@Jaysonguy said:

God that's awful

For its budget it sold and made Nintendo mad bank.

"Approximately 250,000 copies were sold during its first month in the United States.[21] In Japan, roughly 155,000 copies of the game had been sold by the end of June 2015."

Its rumored to be at almost 1 million sold. And were not counting digital, just physical. The game is a smashing success.

No it's not, not at all.

It actually cost Nintendo more than what they made because they needed to take people off more important projects so they would have a game for the holidays.

So yeah, I'm glad you like that Nintendo lost money and other games were delayed, yay for you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy: You cray cray mate.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tiny_rick

@mesome713 said:

@tiny_rick: Isnt it amazing, not even 1/10th the install base but yet Nintendo is banking hard. Nintendo be so smart.

what?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jaysonguy

@tiny_rick said:
@mesome713 said:

what?

For some reason he thinks Nintendo losing so much money they had to become a cell phone comany means they're doing well.

It's hard to have a conversation with him/her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy: You have no clue what your talking about mate, Nintendo has made nothing but profits this year. Nintendo is entering the mobile business to increase profits even further, even so by acquiring 10% of the worlds largest mobile gaming company. All Nintendo knows is how to make profit.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tiny_rick

@mesome713:

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Well, I saw on an other site that the new Tomb Raider has sold way under 100k (more like 60k combined x360 and X1, although I don't know if that's worldwide). That's a strong IP with a huge fan base.

If Captain Toad has sold close to 500k I'd call it a success. It's a puzzle game, which don't sell in high numbers to begin with. It also stars Toad, who is either cute or annoying depending on your tastes, but neither trait makes it the "cool" must-buy game. Smash had come out recently as well as Pokemon OR/AS. So it's not like people were already looking for the next game to get.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Well I would say, a game starring an ancillary character from a Mario game, reusing assets, releasing in the holiday season on a struggling system. If it did 500k+, that's a win, because I don't think anyone was expecting it to be some kind of blockbuster.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Solaryellow: it's a good game but it's not really worth 40 dollars. I imagine that's a reason the sales are low, coupled with the fact that it's a niche title.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Sorry, being a million seller doesn't mean what it used to, as game prices have stayed the same relative to ever increasing inflation.

You don't know what their budget was and how much profit they made. They could have sold at only a very small profit since they had to sell it for $40 due to low content.

Saying they made "mad bank" is an exaggeration.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Solaryellow

Although the game was fun, it was short and light on content to the point where I thought it was going to be SMW DLC available right about the announcement at E3. Unfortunately it was released in the late fall as an actual "full" game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@jimclirad said:

Latest sales reports on VG Chartz has it just over 800K, meaning next year at this time it's likely to cross 1 million worldwide lifetime sales.

VG Chartz is highly inaccurate, but if the numbers are anywhere near that figure, that's pretty amazing for a title like this.