Your favourite videogame soundtrack

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts

For me, it has to be Super Metroid. Some of the music was just beautiful and every time I hear it I get all nostalgic......brings back alot of good old SNES memories :D

Here is an example (My fav. piece from the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFcSHHdIQE

Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
My favorite video game soundtrack would be "Castlevania : Symphony of the Night".....Simply awesome!!!
heyMr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 heyMr
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts

My favorite video game soundtrack would be "Castlevania : Symphony of the Night".....Simply awesome!!!JannettyTRocker

yea its my favorite also. I also love the Final Fantasy X soundtrack as well

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 faridmon
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts

[QUOTE="JannettyTRocker"]My favorite video game soundtrack would be "Castlevania : Symphony of the Night".....Simply awesome!!!heyMr

I thought FF X's soundtrack was very disappointing.( like the game itself but that's another matter). I enjoyed most of the FF soundtracks and i enjoy listening to Nobuo Uematsu but FF X was very unattractive to listen to except for some tracks (like the Otherworld and To Zanarkand which both were was just awesome to listen to).

as for my self, my favourite composer is Motoi Sakuraba. Although i didn't like many games that had him as a composer (such as Star Ocean 3 and Beyond the Beyond), but i loved every soundtrack he worked with.

My favourite is Baten Kaitos Ost and Tales of Symphonia OST (just because Fighting the Spirit)

But i have to say i am very impressed and pleased with Hitoshi Sakimoto as a successor to Uematsu and am actually think he can even surpass Uematsu since Uematsu lost his magic touch after FF IX IMO.(and hence i think FF X and Blue Dragon was a disappointment and i am really cautious to cautiously optimistic to Lost Odyssey to be honest).

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

I thought FF X's soundtrack was very disappointing.( like the game itself but that's another matter). I enjoyed most of the FF soundtracks and i enjoy listening to Nobuo Uematsu but FF X was very unattractive to listen to except for some tracks (like the Otherworld and To Zanarkand which both were was just awesome to listen to).

as for my self, my favourite composer is Motoi Sakuraba. Although i didn't like many games that had him as a composer (such as Star Ocean 3 and Beyond the Beyond), but i loved every soundtrack he worked with.

My favourite is Baten Kaitos Ost and Tales of Symphonia OST (just because Fighting the Spirit)

But i have to say i am very impressed and pleased with Hitoshi Sakimoto as a successor to Uematsu and am actually think he can even surpass Uematsu since Uematsu lost his magic touch after FF IX IMO.(and hence i think FF X and Blue Dragon was a disappointment and i am really cautious to cautiously optimistic to Lost Odyssey to be honest).

faridmon

I think Uematsu's strength in music was more prominent back in the 8-16 bit eras, myself. While I think some of the music in Lost Odyssey sounds nice, I don't quite think it's going to be as consistently strong as a soundtrack as, say, Final Fantasy VI was.

In terms of successors to Uematsu, I don't think Sakimoto is actually going to act as one at all, since he isn't an in house composer with Square-Enix (IIRC), and I suspect the only reason he was on FFXII was due to his relations with Yasumi Matsuno.

Chances are we'll see Masashi Hamauzu (my absolute favorite Japanese game composer) act more as his successor, which seemed to be hinted at in his prominent role in the FFX soundtracks (his songs were much stronger than Uematsu's IMHO), and his role in the arrangement of the Piano Collections book/album (as opposed to Shiro Hamaguchi). We haven't heard much from Hamauzu's work on FFXIII outside of the trailer, but it's already pretty fantastic from just listening to that for me. :)

I happen to like Hamauzu a lot because he has a strong handle of a wide range of genres, and his compositional skills are very strong in several regards. An example of this can be heard in listening to samples from an album he put out this year: Vielen Dank, which features original piano works, and arranged songs from games he worked on for both solo piano, and small chamber ensemble. I'm waiting to get my copy of it in the mail, and i'll probably do a write up on it, but it should be a great time. :)

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Beyond Good & Evil's soundtrack is fantastic.
CronoDL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CronoDL
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts
Chrono Trigger is just great. MGS3 is also great, but it's more Hollywood and less video game.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
Tekken 2
DrachulaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 DrachulaX
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was my favorite for a long time, but now all I can think of is Super Mario Galaxy. Its simply amazing.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

man i love game soundtracks! they occupy alot of my Library's space and i try to find them anywhere i can.

ive got too many favorites to list, mostly ones that sound epic. i like the homeworld OST, GUN, battlefield, medieval2: total war, etc.

need to find a way to buy mass effect online, itunes doesnt have crap when it comes to soundtracks :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wanda to Kyozou ~ Roar of the Earth

Epic beauty personified.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skylock00

need to find a way to buy mass effectonline, itunes doesnt have crap when it comes to soundtracks :(

WARxSnake
You can get the Mass Effect soundtrack on iTunes. ;)
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
My favorite would have to be a tied between FFVIII and MGS 2.
sandroDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 sandroDX
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
Chrono Cross and Eternal Sonata
weak-sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weak-sauce
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

[QUOTE="JannettyTRocker"]My favorite video game soundtrack would be "Castlevania : Symphony of the Night".....Simply awesome!!!heyMr

Yes me too. Like all the FF's have a good soundtrack, 7-9 especially, and don't forget some select from the zelda series.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
[QUOTE="WARxSnake"]

need to find a way to buy mass effectonline, itunes doesnt have crap when it comes to soundtracks :(

Skylock00

You can get the Mass Effect soundtrack on iTunes. ;)

i donno, i dont see it there :( theres some stuff called mass effect but its not the game soundtrack.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
A tie between SMG and MGS3
LordPasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordPasta
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
halo series has always held a special place in my heart for best soundtrack, but i'd have to say its a big-azz tie between halo, any elder scrolls, and mgs
tank2tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tank2tank
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

Hm this is a toughy... theres too many great soundtracks!

I generally love most of the Mario tunes, Zelda tunes, um... Metroid tunes and a few random games as well have great soundtracks... Conker's BFD, TimeSplitters, and more. Also, the Halo soundtrack, in particular Halo 3 is better than most movie soundtracks. As for Final Fantasy soundtracks, from what I've heard, they're great as well, but seeing as I havent played much Final Fantasy I don't know em quite as well.

MrHimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 MrHimz
Member since 2007 • 378 Posts
Mario games always have great soundtracks
EricN113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EricN113
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
I gotta say Saints Row
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Any Metroid game,Kirby's Adventure,and Super Mario 64.All have great soundtracks; I can't pick just one.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

1 tune alone:

Iron Lords on the Amiga...come on...I didn't even like that game...but...20 years later...I still humn the music from time to time without any effort to remember it.

1 game, overall:

EverQuest...I don't use them, nor remind any of them. But 1 of my friend use various sources for his D&D game...and EQ has quite many good background musics to run in a D&D game.

Ectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ectomy
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

Beyond Good & Evil's soundtrack is fantastic. TrueReligion_

Amen to that. Truely it is the most beautiful soundtrack ofanygameI've played and is integrated into the game's environments brilliantly.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Too hard to choose! I love Yamaoka's work on Silent hill, Zelda series, Shadow of the Colossus, FF X,Castlevania and it goes on.

Avatar image for RedEyedMonster8
RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RedEyedMonster8
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts
Halo, Dynasty Warriors, Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero, Crackdown, GTA, Kingdom Underfire, and Dead Rising.
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

There are so many, but if I had to pick one...

Shadow of the Colossus.

There is something special about the music in SotC; moving, beautiful and powerful. It's ridiculous how amazing it is, the composers should be proud.

One of the best soundtracks ever, for one of the greatest games ever.

Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
My favourite is Final Fantasy series.
carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
for me it would be ff 8's soundtrack...there is quite a few songs on there i like to listen to every now and then
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Even though I don't play it anymore. The best soundtrack that I have heard has been World of Warcraft. Blizzard puts a lot of time and effort into there games, and soundtracks.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Headhunter on the Dreamcast/PS2 or Chrono Trigger.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Headhunter on the Dreamcast/PS2 or Chrono Trigger.
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and MoH: Frontline had great soundtracks, they're still in my heart... And Super Mario 64 too :D
faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 faridmon
[QUOTE="faridmon"]

Skylock00

I think Uematsu's strength in music was more prominent back in the 8-16 bit eras, myself. While I think some of the music in Lost Odyssey sounds nice, I don't quite think it's going to be as consistently strong as a soundtrack as, say, Final Fantasy VI was.

In terms of successors to Uematsu, I don't think Sakimoto is actually going to act as one at all, since he isn't an in house composer with Square-Enix (IIRC), and I suspect the only reason he was on FFXII was due to his relations with Yasumi Matsuno.

Chances are we'll see Masashi Hamauzu (my absolute favorite Japanese game composer) act more as his successor, which seemed to be hinted at in his prominent role in the FFX soundtracks (his songs were much stronger than Uematsu's IMHO), and his role in the arrangement of the Piano Collections book/album (as opposed to Shiro Hamaguchi). We haven't heard much from Hamauzu's work on FFXIII outside of the trailer, but it's already pretty fantastic from just listening to that for me. :)

I happen to like Hamauzu a lot because he has a strong handle of a wide range of genres, and his compositional skills are very strong in several regards. An example of this can be heard in listening to samples from an album he put out this year: Vielen Dank, which features original piano works, and arranged songs from games he worked on for both solo piano, and small chamber ensemble. I'm waiting to get my copy of it in the mail, and i'll probably do a write up on it, but it should be a great time. :)

It seems you know a lot about Japanese video games composers and i appreciate to have a discussion with you about it. But isn't true that Sakimoto is the composer (OK, i checked it on Wikipedia and it sees that Masashi Hamauzu is composing FF XIII).

I actually prefer Sakimoto to Hamauzu in terms of arrangements and tunes (especially orchestral music), I have just checked Hamauzu's work and it seem he have done some composition to games that ihave never enjoyed listening to them. I believe Dirge of Cerberus had one of the worst FF soundtrack ever (well maybe in PS2 generation) and i never enjoyed the tunes of Vielen Dank soundtrack, maybe i had high expectation of it. While i enjyed Saga Frontiers grassroots composition I've never thought him as good as some other composers such Sakuraba, Fukada (.Hack Series) or Yamane (Castlevania series).

But i definitely think Sakimoto is one of the most promising composers out there. Yes, many of his OSTs are average, but he seems he improves a lot each time. You can definitely see an improvements between FFXII and say Breath of fire V (although I think FF Tactics is awesome).

Also, I think Tenpei Sato and Kumi Tanioka, they are definitely two of the most unappreciated composers ever. and you know waht, just scrap Motoi Sakuraba as my favourite. he is becoming real old and his arrangement has very been the same. However Sato and Tanioka has definitely been fresh with their music and the Celtic beats with the unique organic flair and Folklore kind of instruments are definitely on of the best beats i ever heard.

Also, Crisis Core has an awesome OST just got it ands its very diffrent. god job Takeharu Ishimoto, you ROCK.

And please could you tell me who is the composer for Guilty Gear series. thanks.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts

For me, it has to be Super Metroid. Some of the music was just beautiful and every time I hear it I get all nostalgic......brings back alot of good old SNES memories :D

zepman71
Oh the Super Metroid ST is beautiful. I also liked FFX, Persona 3 and Killer 7 just to name a few.
faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 faridmon
[QUOTE="zepman71"]

Sim_genius

Oh the Super Metroid ST is beautiful. I also liked FFX, Persona 3 and Killer 7 just to name a few.

Kudos to Masafumi Takada. Rave On was awsome.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
[QUOTE="Sim_genius"][QUOTE="zepman71"]

faridmon

Kudos to Masafumi Takada. Rave On was awsome.

It was! When passing the Vinculum gate I stayed a few seconds to listen to the great music.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Skylock00

I actually prefer Sakimoto to Hamauzu in terms of arrangements and tunes (especially orchestral music), I have just checked Hamauzu's work and it seem he have done some composition to games that ihave never enjoyed listening to them. I believe Dirge of Cerberus had one of the worst FF soundtrack ever (well maybe in PS2 generation) and i never enjoyed the tunes of Vielen Dank soundtrack, maybe i had high expectation of it. While i enjyed Saga Frontiers grassroots composition I've never thought him as good as some other composers such Sakuraba, Fukada (.Hack Series) or Yamane (Castlevania series).

faridmon

I thought Dirge's soundtrack was fine, though definitely not Hamauzu's best work. Vielen Dank is /not/ a game soundtrack, it's a collection of original piano solos as well as arrangements of songs from games he had worked on (and, from what I've heard so far after getting the CD, it's pretty fantastic). In terms of Saga Frontier, he didn't do music for Saga Frontier 1, /only/ for Saga Frontier II and Unlimited Saga (Unlimited Saga being a phenominal soundtrack that demonstrates his strength and ability to touch on a wide range of genres, easily one of my overall favorites).

In regards to composers working at Square and Japan, there's very little question in my mind that Hamauzu is simply among the more skilled composers out there. His melodic and harmonic languages are delightly advanced, and his ability to do decent work in a variety of styles and genres is very pleasing. His highest strength, however, is his ability to do strong arrangments, and apply effective use of thematic/motific development in his works.

As for the rest of your post, I'll agree that Tenpei Sato and Kumi Tanioka are great composers, as I particularly loved Crystal Chronicle's soundtrack. As for Guilty Gear, the only info I have is that the guy who's mainly responsible for music is the main character designer, Daisuke Ishiwatari. He might have other guys doing arrangements for him, but as far as I can tell, he's your guy.

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
Super Mario 64
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts
Unlimited SaGa- the actual game, unfortunately, sucked, but I would constantly boot it up to the title screen just to hear the game's overture.:lol:
aerman176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aerman176
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
I've got a few. OoT, even though the sound quality on the N64 wasn't so great, a lot of the music complimented the atmosphere really well. SMG had great, over-the-top symphony type music. Halo 3 had a very epic feel to it. Mass Effect was great too, it had a very subdued, spaceymood to it,and it all worked really well.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skylock00
Unlimited SaGa- the actual game, unfortunately, sucked, but I would constantly boot it up to the title screen just to hear the game's overture.:lol:2-10-08
That's the unfortuante thing about a lot of Hamauzu's works - He's done a lot of very good music for games that are not that stellar (SF II, Unlimited Saga, Dirge of Cerebus, etc.) That's what's so exciting about him doing FFXIII's soundtrack for me. :)
faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 faridmon
[QUOTE="faridmon"]

Skylock00

I thought Dirge's soundtrack was fine, though definitely not Hamauzu's best work. Vielen Dank is /not/ a game soundtrack, it's a collection of original piano solos as well as arrangements of songs from games he had worked on (and, from what I've heard so far after getting the CD, it's pretty fantastic). In terms of Saga Frontier, he didn't do music for Saga Frontier 1, /only/ for Saga Frontier II and Unlimited Saga (Unlimited Saga being a phenominal soundtrack that demonstrates his strength and ability to touch on a wide range of genres, easily one of my overall favorites).

In regards to composers working at Square and Japan, there's very little question in my mind that Hamauzu is simply among the more skilled composers out there. His melodic and harmonic languages are delightly advanced, and his ability to do decent work in a variety of styles and genres is very pleasing. His highest strength, however, is his ability to do strong arrangments, and apply effective use of thematic/motific development in his works.

As for the rest of your post, I'll agree that Tenpei Sato and Kumi Tanioka are great composers, as I particularly loved Crystal Chronicle's soundtrack. As for Guilty Gear, the only info I have is that the guy who's mainly responsible for music is the main character designer, Daisuke Ishiwatari. He might have other guys doing arrangements for him, but as far as I can tell, he's your guy.

I know that, i was referring to it as a CD. well i never enjoyed Dirge (maybe the hate of the game had a huge impact on me hating the soundtrack) and yes i was anticipating Vielen Dank, because I was hyped by his work and also forum hyped it as well. but as i listened, it wasn't really that great except for few arrangements ( Interludium was awesome but thats about it as far as breathtaking goes). Also ONLY ONE TRACK FROM FFX, that was some decision i never understood. Maybe is the taste that i have since my favourite composers are either more rock oriented composers such as Sakuraba, Ishomoto and Falcom Sound Team, or more Folklore oriented such as Sato, Tanioka and Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms series). Even more Orchestral composer such as Sakimoto and Shadow Heart Team Composers **** Hirota, Ryo Fukuda,etc). But I really prefer many to Hamauzu. Maybe F XIII will make me a believer.

well, am playing GG Judgment and so far the game has killer soundrack. might check the OST.

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 faridmon
[QUOTE="2-10-08"]Unlimited SaGa- the actual game, unfortunately, sucked, but I would constantly boot it up to the title screen just to hear the game's overture.:lol:Skylock00
That's the unfortuante thing about a lot of Hamauzu's works - He's done a lot of very good music for games that are not that stellar (SF II, Unlimited Saga, Dirge of Cerebus, etc.) That's what's so exciting about him doing FFXIII's soundtrack for me. :)

Well Sakuraba started his video game composing by Beyond the Beyond. which was the crappiest RPG ever. So I think Hamauzu should be thankful for his opportunity :D
jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
One of the best soundtracks I've heard in a game would be at the Credits portion of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for the PS1.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Age of Mythology for sure...
mayormoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 mayormoose
Member since 2007 • 836 Posts
Hitman: Blood Money (Xbox 360), Saint's Row (Xbox 360). In SR the classical music is very relaxing.
whalelee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 whalelee
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts
some oriental style, like zu and others.
frozenthino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 frozenthino
Member since 2005 • 9741 Posts
SMG lol , listened before playing