Why do people hate Final Fantasy XIII so much?

• 110 results
UnwantedSpam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnwantedSpam
Member since 2010 • 169 Posts

Playing through the game right now, and while it isn't the best Final fantasy, it's really not the worst. Does the linearity kill it for most people? (It's my main pet peeve with the game.) Or is it something more? I like the battle system and story, for the most part. Again, I don't like the extreme linearity, or those damned hunt missions.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

It's the linearity, yeah. Really rubbed people the wrong way.

I didn't mind it that much, honestly. The slow start was the game's real problem.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
They hate it because it's too linear, has no sidequests and you can't control all characters directly in combat. That's the official version: I personally think fanboys really hate it because the main character is a battle-scarred badass like Lightning instead of the usual whiney spiky-haired JRPG teen imbecil.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It's the linearity, yeah. Really rubbed people the wrong way.

I didn't mind it that much, honestly. The slow start was the game's real problem.

c_rake

I really want to go on an endless rant about my deep hatred for Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel. Instead, I'll direct any of you to my blog and leave it at that. I will say that both the linearity and the slow start are more reasoning to not even enjoy FFXIII. There's more to it than that...

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Probably for the same reason people don't like the latest Zelda; they're just not up to standard with previous entries.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

-The war against linear games

-Huge, spoiled fanbase

-Unrealstic expectations

Those 3 are the biggest reasons, so many people to try and please, and they all want something different. Regardless, 13 was a critical and financial success.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I really enjoyed FFXIII myself. It was a gorgeous looking game with a great soundtrack but I also loved the combat system. The story wasn't bad and I found the entire cast of characters decent. Sure I would have enjoyed a more open game to explore but the linearity of the game for the most part didn't really put me off any.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

The same reasons why people hate Final Fantasies VIII, IX, XI, and XII; it's not Final Fantasy VII or X.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I love me some Final Fantasy XIII

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Nostalgia goggles and Vanille.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

Only thing I really hated was Hope since he was so weak and kept on dying repeatedly *sigh*, the rest of the game was fine though

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

It's the only Final Fantasy I haven't finished. I couldn't get through the boring battles, the boring story, and the boring characters. I really hope they do something special with FFXV, because Blue Dragon is a much better RPG at this point.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont hate it..i liked it a lot actually... People mostly hate it because of the 'linearity' Doesnt hold a candle to ffx though
KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts
My reasons for not liking it are very subjective. The characters simply didn't appeal to me in any shape or form and I did not think the story was very memorable. I also found the gameplay to be very repetitive but I doubt this is the reason i did not enjoy it as this is nothing new for the series and there are very few games of similar length that don't get repetitive.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

1. The linear crapness

2. The characters

3. Boring/horrible combat system--you can master it if you want and claim its greatness--all i'm saying is: why would you? attack/stagger/end stagger/attack/stagger/end stagger/rinse and repeat

4. crap story.

I've listed evidence/proof/other reasons/etc for it being such a dissapointment before but not this time, don't feel like it.

This isn't a ranking--they're all the reasons why the game was so dissapointing.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

what i didnt like about it was the lack of gameplay pacing. it seemed like SE worked so hard on controlling the pace of the story that they neglected the need to support the combat so its not just battle after battle (and i did like the combat system). there needs to be more of a system to let player rest. it was done in the past through menu fiddling (not ideal, but at least it's something), towns, and mini games, but none of those were really there in force. that's not to say that the story even ended up being any good, but i wasnt disappointed because i dont associate the series with good storytelling to begin with and SE has been going in the wrong direction for a long time.

beyond that, the other big thing was the overworld. it was always midday, the creatures ran in visibly set loops, and the weather changed only on obvious stimuli rather than something that resembled nature. it made the whole thing feel static and plastic-like instead of alive. exploration of it wasnt really done well either. i mean, there was a waypoint for navigation to the next quest point, but no visible landmarks to use in the gameworld. for example, im playing xenoblade chronicles right now and the current goal is to reach a tower of ice which the player can pretty much always see instead of just following the waypoint. it's doubley disappointing for ffxiii because the side areas tend to look very beautiful.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I liked FF13 but it sure didn't hold up as a Final Fantasy game. The reason for that is because it didn't stay true to the series, for example we all love towns in jrpgs and Final Fantasy has had great towns. Running around talking to npcs, finding some chests, doing some side quests. Fans liked the series because it had "THIS" and instead of delivering "THIS" they developed something completely different to "THIS". Like super linear and no towns, no proper caves and no sidequests except the hunt-this-guy-down quests.

As a game, it's great... As a Final Fantasy title, it's... I don't know what the **** they were thinking when they decided to replace everything we came to expect from a FF title.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Unrealistic expectations. Fans expected the best Final Fantasy game ever made. It wasn't. So it received a lot of backlash. It doesn't mean it's a bad game. I'm sure most of the fans who criticize it also enjoyed it even though they might have been disappointed.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I came into it with middling expectations, having not played a full FF game since FF6...and I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was great either.
Random thoughts:

- The combat system was actually pretty good, but took way too long to show its strengths. For every clever/strategic battle, there were another 30 mindless filler fights where you just tapped a button or two until you won. They were unneccessary, and made the combat very uninteresting early on in the game.

- The cast were intolerable. Seriously, they're the most annoying cast of characters I've ever encountered in a game. Vanille alone would be enough to make me lose any interest in a game, but when combined with the whiny Hope, the very slappable Lightning, and the dumb-as-rocks Snow...it was a struggle to keep playing.

- The story was a mess. Sure, the ideas were there and this universe has a genuinely cool concept...but they did a terrible job of introducing it to the players. Players shouldn't have to consult the glossary every few hours just to keep track of the various places/names/beings.

- The linearity. The whole game didn't need to be like Gran Pulse, but seriously, the vast majority of the game felt more like a rail shooter than an RPG. The worst part was that the narrow paths made it difficult to avoid the endless filler battles mentioned above. FF13-2 was a vast improvement in this regard - it was still linear, but at least there was some scope for exploration.

- The pacing. The game was way too long, with far too much down-time between major story events. It felt like 40% of the game was filler fights, and 40% of the game involved characters standing around whining about their fates. Perhaps the latter would have been more appealing had the characters been remotely interesting.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Because I sat there for 15 hours pressing X until I'd nearly lapsed into a monotony-induced coma. There was no gameplay, which I consider to be a rather important part of a game. I've seen DVD menus with more interactivity.

After I played it for 15 hours, my daughter asked if she could give it a try. After about 2 minutes of instruction, she was "playing" it in an identical manner to how I was "playing" it. My daughter plays Mario on the Wii for maybe two evenings a year. When a non-gamer can pick up a game, 15 hours into it, and within a minute or two be playing it in an identical fashion to someone who's been playing it for 15 hours, what you've got there is even WORSE than a casual game. For pete's sake, if somebody played Wii Sports for 15 hours they'd be MUCH better at it than someone who just picked it up for the first time.

On top of that, the characters were the shallowest of JRPG cliches, the story was completely uninteresting, the levelling up consisted of going to the levelling up menu and holding down X until the little line had gone as far as it could, etc. etc. etc.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I'll be honest, i remember buying it a few days after it came out and being utterly blown away by the graphics, the music and the ambience.

It actually isn't that bad, but its just so linear and turn based fighting isn't amazing to me.

I'm cnsidering rebuying it though.

koen57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 koen57
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
I expected a game with the same atmosphere/story and characters as FF 7-12. Im not really sure what i got, but i was able to read books while playing it for the first 35 hours. never finished it obviously.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The main problem that Final fantasy XIII is a unfair bias against JRPG. They will scream and rant about part of JRPG while overlooking the negative in WRPG.

Many have come up with the ideals that because it is a JRPG then they character muct be cliche. I hate the cast from Mass Effect 2 so much more than the cast of Final fantasy XIII. Final Fantasy XIII chracters have much more depth than Mass Effect 2's cliche characters.

Some say that Final Fantasy XIII can be won by just pressing the same button over and over again. I am playing Witcher 2 and to win combat I am just pressing the same button again and again. The same was true for Skyrim, Two World 1 and 2, Risen, Venetica, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and many more WRPG.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

for me, it didn't feel like final fantasy, the characters were so boring and dull expect for Sazh, and besides him there was just no one i could connect with, i thought snow was going to be a interesting character but he was your typical i wanna be a hero archetype. The game story was weak and had way to much going on, my cd broke and i just never got around to getting a new one because i just don't care for it. I do wanna play ff 13-2 though so when that drops in price i'll give it another shot

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

The main problem that Final fantasy XIII is a unfair bias against JRPG. They will scream and rant about part of JRPG while overlooking the negative in WRPG.

Many have come up with the ideals that because it is a JRPG then they character muct be cliche. I hate the cast from Mass Effect 2 so much more than the cast of Final fantasy XIII. Final Fantasy XIII chracters have much more depth than Mass Effect 2's cliche characters.

Some say that Final Fantasy XIII can be won by just pressing the same button over and over again. I am playing Witcher 2 and to win combat I am just pressing the same button again and again. The same was true for Skyrim, Two World 1 and 2, Risen, Venetica, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and many more WRPG.

wiouds
Nah its just a really bad JRPG all on it's own. I thought games like Lost Odyssey and Tales Of Vesperia and hell even Star Ocean Last Hope were better designed games.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts
I've been a fan of the Final Fantasy series since "Final Fantasy III" (SNES) and I've enjoyed each entry into the series. I don't hate FFXIII (I anticipated it and enjoyed it), but I think one of the main reasons people hate it is because it really deviated from the Final Fantasy formula. I understand that they were trying to appease the hardcore audience while at the same time trying to capture a new audience (which I don't think was an easy feat) at least that's what I think. Final Fantasy III (or VI) and Final Fantasy VII (PS1) remain my favorite ones.
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

I just hated all the characters except Lightning and Sazh.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

The linearity..

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

GodModeEnabled

Nah its just a really bad JRPG all on it's own. I thought games like Lost Odyssey and Tales Of Vesperia and hell even Star Ocean Last Hope were better designed games.

Lost Odyssey and Tales Of Vesperia are definitely part of the cream of the crop when it comes to XBox 360 RPGs. Star Ocean: The Last Hope is not really something home to write about, but at least the battle system is interesting. And good lord does the voice actor suck in that game...a lot of cringe-worthy moments in that department!

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
They hate it because it's too linear, has no sidequests and you can't control all characters directly in combat. That's the official version: I personally think fanboys really hate it because the main character is a battle-scarred badass like Lightning instead of the usual whiney spiky-haired JRPG teen imbecil.Black_Knight_00
Since I don't want to post a SW type rant I will just quote you if you don't mind.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ilovegames1992

Lightning is a badass?

:lol:

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

I came into it with middling expectations, having not played a full FF game since FF6...and I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was great either.
Random thoughts:

- The combat system was actually pretty good, but took way too long to show its strengths. For every clever/strategic battle, there were another 30 mindless filler fights where you just tapped a button or two until you won. They were unneccessary, and made the combat very uninteresting early on in the game.

- The cast were intolerable. Seriously, they're the most annoying cast of characters I've ever encountered in a game. Vanille alone would be enough to make me lose any interest in a game, but when combined with the whiny Hope, the very slappable Lightning, and the dumb-as-rocks Snow...it was a struggle to keep playing.

- The story was a mess. Sure, the ideas were there and this universe has a genuinely cool concept...but they did a terrible job of introducing it to the players. Players shouldn't have to consult the glossary every few hours just to keep track of the various places/names/beings.

- The linearity. The whole game didn't need to be like Gran Pulse, but seriously, the vast majority of the game felt more like a rail shooter than an RPG. The worst part was that the narrow paths made it difficult to avoid the endless filler battles mentioned above. FF13-2 was a vast improvement in this regard - it was still linear, but at least there was some scope for exploration.

- The pacing. The game was way too long, with far too much down-time between major story events. It felt like 40% of the game was filler fights, and 40% of the game involved characters standing around whining about their fates. Perhaps the latter would have been more appealing had the characters been remotely interesting.

Planeforger

all of this.

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

wiouds

This . . . I liked FF13 it wasn't like a AAA title but it was pretty enjoyable alot complained about the mashing X and you can already win . . . I can do the same **** eith FF7, 8, and 9 and still win but somehow alot seem to hate it . . .

Now the first thing a person who hates FF13 would say is . . . "FF13 is a horrible game because just look at how awesome its predecessors are" . . .

So it's like saying . . . "Coke is a great drink, Coke is better than rootbeer which makes rootbeer the WORST drink ever!!!"

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Too linear, no towns, I felt some of the characters were too kiddy, bad weapon system, no sidequests.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I liked it alot. I like the story and characters (even Vanille has a good story) and the battle system is fun. All the linearity does is strip away the illusion of freedom other JRPG's have.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
It's a JRPG. The only ones people like are ones that try their damnedest to be a WRPG. FInal Fantasy XIII and RE5 are those games that the internet and critics say are the worst games ever made but then you look at their critical scores and they are in the 80s and you play them and it's hard to tell what makes them the worst piece of electronic entertainment ever?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

- Boring automated combat that encourages the use of auto battle and button mashing(even worse in FFXIII-2)

- Summons are no where near as satisfying or useful as previous FF titles.(even worse in FFXIII-2, there are no summons.) :(

- Toriyama'd (a storyline that doesn't make any sense(even worse in FFXIII-2))

- A storyline that relies heavily on you reading book long datalogs and yet still doesn't make sense.

- Long linear tube like areas that feel like they go on forever.

- No RPG elements outside, run, cutscene, battle, run, cutscene, battle, etc.. Entire game in a nutshell.

- Linear pointless crystarium system.

-Leona Lewis singing a completely irrelevantsong

- Air head-like characters like Vanille and Snow that completely ruin the experience.(even worse in FFXIII-2x9999, lol Serah.)

- A villian that not only looks stupid but also has a stupid motive.

- Some of the music is decent, a lot of the tracks are meh at best.. Nothing that beats older FFs.

I'm sure there are lots more to add to this list.. Seriously though, this was the worst FF next to FFX-2. The game is graphical eye candy, and not much else.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

-Huge, spoiled fanbase

-Unrealstic expectations

Those 3 are the biggest reasons, so many people to try and please, and they all want something different. Regardless, 13 was a critical and financial success.

crimsonman1245

The last FF I played was the one with Sephiroth, FF7 I believe, so I can't comment too much on that but I do think devs should start making more new IP's, focus on a particular fanbase with each new IP and build from the ground up instead of adjusting a current franchise to appease newcomers while screwing over a dedicated fanbase. Makes more sense to leave FF the way it used to be and make a new jrpg that is more linear based for people who want that instead of trying to please everybody with one game.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I sometimes wonder how JRPG fans would react if each Final Fantasy game wasn't a part of the same series.

Atfer all, it is a series where very few games actually have any continuity with each other. The only things that have been a constant throughout the years are Chocobos, Moogles, Cid, and a few monsters like Malboros.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#40 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

-Huge, spoiled fanbase

-Unrealstic expectations

HipHopBeats

The last FF I played was the one with Sephiroth, FF7 I believe, so I can't comment too much on that but I do think devs should start making more new IP's, focus on a particular fanbase with each new IP and build from the ground up instead of adjusting a current franchise to appease newcomers while screwing over a dedicated fanbase. Makes more sense to leave FF the way it used to be and make a new jrpg that is more linear based for people who want that instead of trying to please everybody with one game.

The thing is that every FF is wildly different from the last; they usually have their own battle system, styIe of universe, type of mythology, etc... Take, for instance, Final fantasy IV versus Final fantasy VI. FFIV was a more traditional RPG setting; castles, monsters everywhere, sword and sorcery battles, etc. The most unique thing about it were the airships. (Whic I'm glad have been a constant since they're so cool.) The battle system was pretty linear, with characters learning new moves as the game dictated. The biggest surprise was the last chunk of the game, where you... well, traveled to a new type of world. Then, with FFVI, you have a much more steampunk type setting. There are mechs, trains, more industrial airships, etc. There are still kingdoms and swords and magic, but there are more "modern" weapons as well, and magic plays a huge role in the story, as well as the open ended Esper system.

Final Fantasys are wildly different from one game to the next, so much so that they may as well be new IPs. Like an above poster said, they don't have much in common, usually just sharing Chocobos, a character named Cid and a few other enemies.

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

i hated it because my disc didn't work and square told me i was SOL. xbox version. i had a slim xbox at the time.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
They hate it because it's too linear, has no sidequests and you can't control all characters directly in combat. That's the official version: I personally think fanboys really hate it because the main character is a battle-scarred badass like Lightning instead of the usual whiney spiky-haired JRPG teen imbecil.Black_Knight_00
Hope wasn't whiney enough for you? ;)
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#43 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
My peeves with the game: -Too linear. You follow a path, fight enemies, hit a cutscene, and rinse and repeat. -Too tutorialized. The game spends a good 20 hours treating you like an idiot and overexplains all of the game's simple concepts (but never properly explains the ridiculous weapon upgrade system). -Awful story. It's paced poorly in the beginning, contains some of the worst fake fantasy names in any game (L'Cie, Fal'cie, etc), and is just dull when it's not being insulting. -Awful characters. The game has one of the worst casts this side of...actually, I can't think of a Final Fantasy game with a worst cast, even if you hate Final Fantasy VIII. Thirteen makes Selphie and Zell look like world class characters. And to top it off the battle system isn't really all that great either. It doesn't remove the monotony of a regular ATB Final Fantasy battle, and it doesn't inject much strategy either. You pound on an enemy until they get staggered, unleash your attacks when they do, and swap to healing when you need it. Whee. The game's best qualities are its graphics and (some of its) music, and that's not what should define an RPG in any way.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]They hate it because it's too linear, has no sidequests and you can't control all characters directly in combat. That's the official version: I personally think fanboys really hate it because the main character is a battle-scarred badass like Lightning instead of the usual whiney spiky-haired JRPG teen imbecil.ispeakfact
Hope wasn't whiney enough for you? ;)

Hope wasn't the main character. Besides, I just changed channel and watched football anytime he had screen time.
KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts
Seriously though, this was the worst FF next to FFX-2. The game is graphical eye candy, and not much else.Crossel777
Personally I preferred FFX-2. At least that game didn't take itself too seriously, the combat was more engaging and it didn't play like it was on rails. I don't mind silly characters or themes but the game can't try to take itself seriously if it has these. Most FF games give me at least a few laughs and are light hearted; beyond the chocobo in Sazh's hair I can't remember too much light heartedness in FFXIII that wasn't awkward. Lightning is probably one of the most emotionless and monotone lead characters in an RPG since J.C. Denton in Deus Ex and it doesn't work for a FF game. That said, Lightning is at least less annoying than the other characters. Voice acting is the biggest problem with the series since FFX, before then it was much easier for them to not have annoying characters.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ilovegames1992

My peeves with the game: -Too linear. You follow a path, fight enemies, hit a cutscene, and rinse and repeat. -Too tutorialized. The game spends a good 20 hours treating you like an idiot and overexplains all of the game's simple concepts (but never properly explains the ridiculous weapon upgrade system). -Awful story. It's paced poorly in the beginning, contains some of the worst fake fantasy names in any game (L'Cie, Fal'cie, etc), and is just dull when it's not being insulting. -Awful characters. The game has one of the worst casts this side of...actually, I can't think of a Final Fantasy game with a worst cast, even if you hate Final Fantasy VIII. Thirteen makes Selphie and Zell look like world class characters. And to top it off the battle system isn't really all that great either. It doesn't remove the monotony of a regular ATB Final Fantasy battle, and it doesn't inject much strategy either. You pound on an enemy until they get staggered, unleash your attacks when they do, and swap to healing when you need it. Whee. The game's best qualities are its graphics and (some of its) music, and that's not what should define an RPG in any way.DJ_Lae

Zell is one of the best FF characters out of the bunch.

Fvck you.

powicewobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 powicewobots
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It had such a high standard to live up to, but simply isn't good enough to bear the Final Fantasy name. I suppose it was also a victim of the hype surrounding it, as people had unrealistic expectations.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

You basically answered it with the opening post.

Whilst I did enjoy the game myself, the extreme linearity was what I had the biggest problem with.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Black_Knight_00
Zell is one of the best FF characters out of the bunch.Ilovegames1992
Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Zell is one of the best FF characters out of the bunch.Black_Knight_00
Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:

Yes. Not being a whiney emo douche in an FF game is a rarity. And i like Zell. The lancer to Squall and the comic relief.