Why do people hate Final Fantasy XIII so much?

• 109 results
#51 Posted by Brown-9 (811 posts) -

They hate it because these people are blinded by the series' traditions rather than judge the game fairly.

There is no question: XIII has the greatest combat of the entire main series. The only game that comes close to it is XII, and more IZJS than the localized version.

#52 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18093 posts) -
Not being a whiney emo douche in an FF game is a rarityIlovegames1992
Now that I can agree with
#53 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Zell is one of the best FF characters out of the bunch.Ilovegames1992

Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:

Yes. Not being a whiney emo douche in an FF game is a rarity. And i like Zell. The lancer to Squall and the comic relief.

Exactly. Besides, that entire video really doesn't have any constructive criticism; just arbitrary nit-picking.

#54 Posted by Allicrombie (25107 posts) -
I couldnt stand the story or the annoying characters, two of the main aspects of a good rpg.
#55 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Very linear, very easy, shallow and mostly automated combat/game mechanics, terrible story, terrible characters, no towns. Sure was pretty, though. And people saying that the reason people don't like the game is due to a JRPG bias are ridiculous. Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends With You, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Vesperia, Rune Factory, Blue Dragon, Ragnarok Odyssey, Shin Megani Tensei, Disgaea, and so many other JRPGs are great. Final Fantasy XIII just sucks.
#56 Posted by -Unreal- (24474 posts) -

It's so linear.

#57 Posted by BranKetra (47524 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Zell is one of the best FF characters out of the bunch.Ilovegames1992

Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:

Yes. Not being a whiney emo douche in an FF game is a rarity. And i like Zell. The lancer to Squall and the comic relief.

I also like Zell. I don't consider him the lancer, though, since he didn't have a lance.
#58 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14182 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:BranKetra

I also like Zell. I don't consider him the lancer, though, since he didn't have a lance.

Well, i mean the Lancer to Squall's Hero.

His right hand man and opposite if you will.

In the same way that Han Solo is The Lancer to Luke Skywalker you know?

#59 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18093 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Zell?! Are you serious? :lol:MadVybz

Exactly. Besides, that entire video really doesn't have any constructive criticism; just arbitrary nit-picking.

It's The Spoony One, do you really expect constructive criticism from a comedian?
#60 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Black_Knight_00

It's The Spoony One, do you really expect constructive criticism from a comedian?

Do you really expect someone to know off the bat who a random YouTuber is? :| There are loads of people that make judgments on games based in that fashion.

#61 Posted by rzepak (5758 posts) -

Linear

Horrible characters

Hype

#62 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -
Worst character I have seen in a video game.
#63 Posted by rzepak (5758 posts) -

Worst character I have seen in a video game.chilly-chill

Well thats not fair, atleast FFXIII had an actuall Female unlike FFXII and Vann whatever the hell he was.

#65 Posted by wiouds (5000 posts) -

Worst character I have seen in a video game.chilly-chill

They are are no way as bad as Mass Effect 2 cast.

#66 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]Worst character I have seen in a video game.rzepak

Well thats not fair, atleast FFXIII had an actuall Female unlike FFXII and Vann whatever the hell he was.

I think the very fact that you called him a 'he' confirms that he's male. :P

#67 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]Worst character I have seen in a video game.wiouds

They are are no way as bad as Mass Effect 2 cast.

Not sure if cereal.
#68 Posted by Greyfeld (3006 posts) -

They hate it because these people are blinded by the series' traditions rather than judge the game fairly.

There is no question: XIII has the greatest combat of the entire main series. The only game that comes close to it is XII, and more IZJS than the localized version.

Brown-9

Because obviously mashing "auto" is superior to hitting "attack" over and over again. And having almost zero control over 2/3 of your party members makes combat SUPER FUN!!

#69 Posted by BranKetra (47524 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Well, i mean the Lancer to Squall's Hero.

His right hand man and opposite if you will.

In the same way that Han Solo is The Lancer to Luke Skywalker you know?

I get it. First time I ever heard anyone call them that. It was a little confusing since there is a lancer class in many Final Fantasy games.
#70 Edited by papermanda (6 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: Actually, they hate it because it is a sexualized dress-up game with a convoluted plot, albeit pretty faces and 1080p perfect bodies . It's not like RPGs used to be where only the story mattered.

#71 Posted by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

characters and script, i mean the characters were so annoying and cheesy, snow and his stupid i want to be a hero bs made for one of the worst dialogues i've ever seen in any type of media, vanille was just plain annoying, almost every cutscene was the characters talking and making some drama with some cheesy lines, nothing happens for the first 15 h and the fact that you didn't get to visit proper cities or know decent support characters like the rest of the final fantasies....i missed going trough a city, searching for the weapons shop and upgrading my gear with NEW WEAPONS.

#72 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2155 posts) -

Watch this detailed review mand see why this game fails on every level,both storywise and gameplay wise.

#73 Posted by magicalclick (22245 posts) -

Grinding grinding grinding. Battle system is boring as hell and they are plain trolling with grinding.

#74 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

FF13 made some mistakes (too much of it was too linear, the cast was weak and the story was utterly nonsensical) but I think a lot of the hate springs from the fact that Squenix for some insane reason, made two direct sequels rather than moving on to a new cast, a new story and a new world. I don't think that it would attract more opprobrium than say, FF9 if Squenix had followed it up with FF14 and 15.

#75 Edited by Randolph (10360 posts) -

FF13 made some mistakes (too much of it was too linear, the cast was weak and the story was utterly nonsensical) but I think a lot of the hate springs from the fact that Squenix for some insane reason, made two direct sequels rather than moving on to a new cast, a new story and a new world. I don't think that it would attract more opprobrium than say, FF9 if Squenix had followed it up with FF14 and 15.

Yep. I actually kind of liked FFXIII, despite the fact that the twenty hour tutorial ruins replayability. What really soured me on it were the sequels, FFXIII had a fine ending. Then they went and mucked it up just because they wanted to reuse the same resources to make up for the huge loss the Crytsal Engine and the insanely long development cycle caused. You don't make two sequels to a game with a world and cast people just aren't interested in.

#76 Edited by firefox59 (4324 posts) -

But people hated FFXIII immediately when it came out. Most people liked the sequel more than the first one. If anything it made the series better in most people's opinions.

#77 Edited by Cory_vet_gamer (19 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

But people hated FFXIII immediately when it came out. Most people liked the sequel more than the first one. If anything it made the series better in most people's opinions.

Honey you don't know this franchise FFXIII was hated because it failed to be a game it is empty there's no gameplay that was the main reason the game deserves to be hated it is mediocre and only served to bring shame for this franchise

#78 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

*Shrugs* At least here in GGD, opinion was mixed. Few (maybe no one) thought it was the best FF ever, but the battle system had its admirers (including me).

While I liked FF13 despite its warts, I didn't want to see more of it and I skipped the sequels. A lot of people clearly felt the same way. FF13-2's Japanese sales were 66% lower than FF13's (we never got a number from the NPD IIRC).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-21-final-fantasy-13-2-sales-well-down-on-ff13

The RPG sequel sold 525,271 to take the top spot, but that's nearly a third of the 1.5 million copies Final Fantasy 13 moved in its first four days back in 2009.

#79 Posted by firefox59 (4324 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

*Shrugs* At least here in GGD, opinion was mixed. Few (maybe no one) thought it was the best FF ever, but the battle system had its admirers (including me).

While I liked FF13 despite its warts, I didn't want to see more of it and I skipped the sequels. A lot of people clearly felt the same way. FF13-2's Japanese sales were 66% lower than FF13's (we never got a number from the NPD IIRC).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-21-final-fantasy-13-2-sales-well-down-on-ff13

The RPG sequel sold 525,271 to take the top spot, but that's nearly a third of the 1.5 million copies Final Fantasy 13 moved in its first four days back in 2009.

Well I can definitely see FF fans hating the sequels thing. It's never been done before and is therefore non-FF which is why most people didn't like FF 13 to begin with. If people didn't like 13 they probably wouldn't buy 13-2. My point was that, from what I heard, while many people didn't want a sequel (from both a critical and consumer point of view) the second game was considered better than the first one. Even if the only reason was that it had towns....sigh.

I might be bias but I loved the first game and am looking forward to yet another change in the battle system for the final game in the trilogy.

#80 Posted by gaijingamer7 (17 posts) -

I'd be a lot more interested in lighting returns if it wasn't trying to shoehorn lightning into a story that doesn't fit her. By that I mean this game really needs a completely new cast of characters to make any sense. I'm sure any fans that skipped 13-2 will have no interest in this one because it's so far removed from relating to the original, yet is linked to it. Why would you want to keep a link with a critically failure?

#81 Posted by Jag85 (4269 posts) -

They hate it because it's too linear, has no sidequests and you can't control all characters directly in combat. That's the official version: I personally think fanboys really hate it because the main character is a battle-scarred badass like Lightning instead of the usual whiney spiky-haired JRPG teen imbecil.

I doubt that's the main reason. Lightning is pretty much like the female version of Cloud. And the last time a main FF game had a spiky-haired protagonist was... Cloud.

#82 Edited by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

I would say linearity and battle system.

#83 Edited by Metamania (11958 posts) -

Here are my reasons.

-Dull combat
-Dislikable characters and story
-Linearity
-No sidequests or towns (I hear that it opens up around the 30-hour mark though, but it's still limited)
-Not enough reason for me to go back through it one more time.

Truth be told, the last Final Fantasy game that was truly memorable was Final Fantasy X. I just hope that Sony and Square have the courage to allow PS4 users to download the remastered version of the game for the Playstation Now network.

#84 Edited by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

I couldn't get into it. I'm really not sure why.

I've played FFVII and up. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance but all the other Final Fantasies had me hooked in the first few hours.

FFXIII didn't.

#85 Posted by huerito323 (1371 posts) -

omg I just started playing this game and it's awesome lol

I've never been into the FF series until this one. Final Fantasy has always had the cheeziest characters in gaming, I don't know why all of a sudden it's a problem. I like the setting in this game and the story is intriguing. So far, Sazh is my favorite character, and I think Vanille is cute. Lightning is just a bad ass chick. Also, the soundtrack is beautiful.

#86 Edited by BranKetra (47524 posts) -

It is very linear. Any sense of exploration is blocked by the non-random encounter-battles. It is officially Final Fantasy, so that is what the franchise is like now, but before was much different. I think the growth of the video game industry and it becoming something that mainstream audiences consider as [mainstream] has something to do with the state of Final Fantasy (and the Japanese video game industry). As for me, I have returned to being a Nintendo customer. I believe in a promising future of that company.

#87 Posted by Planeforger (15411 posts) -

I actually liked the battle system...but Square Enix completely misused it, so it feels more terrible than it really is.

The difficult boss fights tended to be legitimately interesting - swapping roles, anticipating enemy attacks, it all worked. Unfortunately, you could sleepwalk your way through 99% of the battles. There was way too much pointless fodder that you couldn't skip without falling behind on the XP, and the battle system suffered for it.

But yeah, for a game full of hours and hours of cutscenes...FFXIII simply had some of the worst storytelling I have ever seen. Starting in media res is totally fine for a plot that people might be able to pick up as the story goes along, but FFXIII is full of so many new-ish (and silly) concepts that the lack of exposition is baffling. Meanwhile, all of the important plot and setting details are located in the pause menu. What were they thinking?

Plus the story is absolutely aimless, with none of the characters knowing what the hell they are doing (except for the points where they decide to do the villain's bidding, because...um...), and no real structure or purpose to anything going on. The fact that almost all of the characters are godawful doesn't help make the padding any easier to tolerate - although hey, I liked Sahz.

So, you know, lots to hate on.

#88 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

The story is absolute nonsense, all the characters other than Sazh are dull, the battle system is irritating, there is no freedom to explore and there are plenty of better, lower budget JRPGs out there.

#89 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

My reasons for not liking it are very subjective.

Well no shit.

#90 Edited by Cory_vet_gamer (19 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

@firefox59 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

Well I can definitely see FF fans hating the sequels thing. It's never been done before and is therefore non-FF which is why most people didn't like FF 13 to begin with. If people didn't like 13 they probably wouldn't buy 13-2. My point was that, from what I heard, while many people didn't want a sequel (from both a critical and consumer point of view) the second game was considered better than the first one. Even if the only reason was that it had towns....sigh.

I might be bias but I loved the first game and am looking forward to yet another change in the battle system for the final game in the trilogy.

No honey FFXIII is not hated because it have sequels it is hated because it failed to be a game,many gamers don't wanted a sequel of FFXIII exactly because of that what's the point of giving a sequel for a empty game? i don't know about you but i want to play a JRPG when i see a game labeled as ''Final Fantasy'' i expect it to be exactly like one with the genre core elements of its predecessors,that is the least SE could do it's sad to see that they even forgot what a JRPG is like.

#91 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

I wonder if I'm the only person to have noticed that this thread is well over a year old. Oh well, I suppose the recent release of Lightning Returns makes it still relevant.

#92 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Because its a game that makes you cool to hate on forums and so on. Its that simple, people say they hate it when they like or have never played it because its the popular thing to do.

When something is too popular too long it reaches a point where people want to stop liking it and start hating it infront of others so they can be cool. Like call of duty, everyone online bitches, complains and yells boycott when a new one releases it still sells a fuck ton of copies. Skyrim used to be beloved by all now most people hate it. And so on.

Its just a fad to hate something that's popular so other people on the same bandwagon will agree with you and you get some measure of self satisfaction by being in the majority of cynical assholes. That and most gamers are douche bags who aren't happy unless they are unhappy and can complain about something.

#93 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4870 posts) -

FF 13 and 13-2 are pretty good. I preferred them to 8, 9 and 12. 7 and 10 really blew me away back in the day.

Only thing I didn't like on FF13, you can only complete all the hunt missions on 2nd play, and it's not the type of game I would want to play through twice due to lack of customization and linear.

#94 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Because its a game that makes you cool to hate on forums and so on. Its that simple, people say they hate it when they like or have never played it because its the popular thing to do.

When something is too popular too long it reaches a point where people want to stop liking it and start hating it infront of others so they can be cool. Like call of duty, everyone online bitches, complains and yells boycott when a new one releases it still sells a fuck ton of copies. Skyrim used to be beloved by all now most people hate it. And so on.

Its just a fad to hate something that's popular so other people on the same bandwagon will agree with you and you get some measure of self satisfaction by being in the majority of cynical assholes. That and most gamers are douche bags who aren't happy unless they are unhappy and can complain about something.

this is the dumbest counter argument anyone can pull on a discussion, "you hate it because you don't know it!"

if you had taken the time to actually look at the thread you would realize most of us played it and in fact have very legitimate reasons to dislike it, if you want to shut your eyes and say lalalalallala i like it, nothing wrong with it, well that's your choice.

#95 Posted by Planeforger (15411 posts) -

@Gargus: So how does that account for people like me who saw the terrible reviews, gave the game the benefit of the doubt, then had to quit the game 15 hours in due to how terrible it was, then STILL gave it the benefit of the doubt, then played through the entire thing...only to conclude that it is, in fact, just as bad as the terrible reviews made it out to be in the first place?

#96 Edited by sakaiXx (50 posts) -

The reason I hated FFXIII (but not that angry kinda hate I still love FF and the game) was FFXIII is just a carbon copy of FFX. damn I really hate X.

#97 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2155 posts) -

If i knew what would follow i wouldn't hate it as much as i did.

#98 Posted by firefox59 (4324 posts) -

@Gargus: So how does that account for people like me who saw the terrible reviews, gave the game the benefit of the doubt, then had to quit the game 15 hours in due to how terrible it was, then STILL gave it the benefit of the doubt, then played through the entire thing...only to conclude that it is, in fact, just as bad as the terrible reviews made it out to be in the first place?

Most people hated it because it had the FF name on it, not because the game was bad.

#99 Edited by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII was actually a good game. The sequels were terrible though.

FFXIII = good

FFXIII-2 = bad

FFXIII-3 = garbage

#100 Posted by Erebus (873 posts) -

My personal narrative pet-peeves are cliched plot tropes, nonsensical situations, inconsistent world rules, sexualized young girls, shallow and transparent characters, unbelievable voice-acting, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

The above is pretty much a Final Fantasy feature list that began to form with VII (still loved VII, but it was the beginning of the end).

You either love/tolerate these things or you don't. I tell myself it must be a cultural thing, because I honestly don't believe people are so stupid as to not see the obvious tropes and plot holes occur time and again.

To me, Lightning is a paper-thin concept of a "strong female lead" who completely lacks substance. Mysterious only works until you peel off the mask and realize nothing is there.