Why Are We So Excited About Next Gen

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VidGamer_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VidGamer_basic
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I am wondering why so many people are so excited about the next gen of consoles as if all of a sudden they are going to change everything thats currently wrong with the industry already. Higher cost of games, annual release of franchises, no originalality in games, day one dlc etc. It seems like things could be even worse next gen but you got people on forums and all the game sites proclaiming the greatness of next gen already. If you look at all declining sales and the closure of alot of studio's just this gen and take into account how expensive next gen will be unless these game companies have found a way to succeed this next gen will be full of the same old same old you may get your few new ips but it more than less will be the cod, assassins creeds etc over and over.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

I am wondering why so many people are so excited about the next gen of consoles as if all of a sudden they are going to change everything thats currently wrong with the industry already. Higher cost of games, annual release of franchises, no originalality in games, day one dlc etc. It seems like things could be even worse next gen but you got people on forums and all the game sites proclaiming the greatness of next gen already. If you look at all declining sales and the closure of alot of studio's just this gen and take into account how expensive next gen will be unless these game companies have found a way to succeed this next gen will be full of the same old same old you may get your few new ips but it more than less will be the cod, assassins creeds etc over and over.

VidGamer_basic

i dont care about this stuff..

new generations always bring new ips...sequels to existing franchises..and better tech

Thats why im excited..

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I have no clue why most people are excited for it at the moment.

new generations always bring new ips...sequels to existing franchises..and better tech

Thats why im excited..

campzor
The same holds true still for this year. Your argument is irrelevant because every year brings new games; some will be new IPs and others will be sequels.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I don't know.

I was so excited to get a PS2 when I was a kid. I was also excited for the PS3 before it came out. But this time around I'm not. It doesn't seem like there will be much of a leap in progress this time around. Also, the rumors of next gen are making it look very bleak. I'm not so eager to shell out hundreds of dollars for a PS4/Wii U/Nextbox this time around. I'm more interested in catching up with all the good games that have come out this gen, as well as seeing what else it has to offer. But that's just me.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Last time I couldn't wait to pick up a new 360 a couple months after it came out, but now i doubt I'll even consider it until the dust settles and we get to see if any real progress has been made and what the new systems messed up as well.
SeventhSpray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SeventhSpray
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
why is there a new idevice every few months? ok yeh games will always be the same! but its the apps the availability! faster market place! faster OS! more Ram! more frame rate! you'll see a lot of repeats but things been repeating for years. its variety! think about it! playstation home, wii's Mee., and xbox avatars! yeah you'll say idgaf about the extras! but you'll have them! maybe will get better browsers on our consoles! maybe will get better bandwidth for Oline/PSN/XBL,and Whatever wii u got. you gotta think hardware! you gotta think what todays consoles can handle and what tomorrow can! thats why people and i am soo excited!
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I don't care much. In fact what i'm planning to do as soon as i start getting disposable income is buying some old consoles and going back and playing the games of my childhood and a lot of games i missed out on.
The way the gaming industry is going doesn't fill me with glee. But i will plough on regardless.

SeventhSpray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SeventhSpray
i did that!bought alot of old consoles! N64 for life
SeventhSpray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SeventhSpray
i did that!bought alot of old consoles! N64 for lifeSeventhSpray
XBLA better be backwards compatible!
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Not too jazzed about it right now. I'm more focus and heavily invested in my PS3. So maybe a year or 2 after launch I might go crazy.

It depends on what Sony has to offer. Or if WiiU game library has significantly improved. One things for sure, I'll continue to be a ONE console owner, next gen.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I have no clue why most people are excited for it at the moment.

Thats why im excited..

campzor
The same holds true still for this year. Your argument is irrelevant because every year brings new games; some will be new IPs and others will be sequels.

ye but i rather have the new games/ips on better hardware (that isnt a pc) and new gens usually bring out more new ips then the last years of the current gen
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Reasons to be excited:

• New hardware.
  • New IPs.
  • New opportunities.
  • New memories.
  • New chances to have fun.

Reasons to not be excited:

• Capitalism being utilized fully.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
developers have barely mastered the current gen, releasing another is a joke. both could go for 3 more years.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The vibe I get from a lot of people is that they're not really excited about next gen b/c they feel like it's just going to be more of the same for more money. The publishers are excited, but not the consumers.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm excited. We've had the same consoles since 2005/2006, so new hardware is very welcome.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Because new generations allow developers the chance to better realize their visions and moves us one step further towards busting down the fifth wall.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'm excited. We've had the same consoles since 2005/2006, so new hardware is very welcome.

Vari3ty

This.

I remember Nintendo putting out a Mario hosted conference around 1995 (right around the time the first Playstation was getting ready to launch) where he basically indicated another generation wasn't needed. Thankfully, everyone saw through it for the horseshlt that it was, just like horseshlt we hear constantly from all these other ne'er do wells who lament the coming of another generation when it's been a more than healthy span of time with the current one.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

More cheap indie games and hopefully something as ground-breaking as World of Warcraft was 8 years ago

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
People are excited because we want more powerful tech, leads to higher immersion and great innovations in the design field. We got games like Dead Rising, Skyrim, and whatnot because of the technological leap. We want more of that. Usually we also see new franchises, new experiences. It is always an exciting time to be a gamer at the generation switch. If you are not excited..... find a new hobby.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

VidGamer_basic
Games might not cost more. They've been around the same price for over a decade. The only reason why they seem to be priced differently is because of inflation. So, it's not the game price that's changing, it's the value of the dollar. Anyway, I'm interested in new technology and games because every gen turns out to be filled with new games and not just sequels.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts
I'm excited for next gen because I'm ready for more powerful hardware to do what every preceeding gen has done and that's to further push the medium forward.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Like I don't know about you guys but I remember playing Dead Rising for the first time when it came out and going "OMG this is so awesome." the same thing with Oblivion and its then high tech plant rendering tech and stuff, strolling out and looking at the Vistas... New hardware is everything for pushing gaming forward.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Like I don't know about you guys but I remember playing Dead Rising for the first time when it came out and going "OMG this is so awesome." the same thing with Oblivion and its then high tech plant rendering tech and stuff, strolling out and looking at the Vistas... New hardware is everything for pushing gaming forward.

Creativity is more important. Also better tech means higher cost which means we'll be seeing more companies go bankrupt.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#24 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Because we've seen about all we can get out of this console generation. Developers have pushed the current consoles as far as they can. Time to upgrade so they can continue doing new things, further refining existing concepts, etc.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Creativity is more important. Also better tech means higher cost which means we'll be seeing more companies go bankrupt.Minishdriveby

It's a tech driven industry; better tech is a necessity. The rising development cost issue is something that needs to be solved, I agree -- but they can't halt progress because of it.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Couldnt care less about Next Gen or it's potential graphical/hardware capabilities ...in fact, I have no problem playing past games from the 90's or early 2000 era (actually prefer them to most of the stuff coming out nowadays).

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Man you kidding me? I think every gamer should be excited over next gen... it's simply part of the culture!
Playing few games and that is all nice but there more to it... you should alaways be excited when new technologies are introduced, hardware, communities... new players in the industry, new IP's.

It reminds of some people that are listening to Rock music without being part of the Rock culture. Okay there's nothing wrong with that but in order to fully appreciate it you must participate... to feel what it's like. Same for gamers, it's like a new era is opening for you and you're not happy about it? Besides if you really think about it, this gen of consoles is like 8 years old? Some people would say "Okay but devs still didn't pushed the hardware to it's limits". Well man that might be partially true but it's almost never possible to get every tiny bit of a console before the life cycle changes. I bet devs didn't fully mastered old systems as well... there was still power left in old SNES/SEGA/PSone/Xbox. But that's not the point otherwise we would be stucked with a console for like 20 years without any progress.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

I'm more ready for it this gen than last because 1999 to 2005 wasn't as much of a wait in the first place and by 2004 there were PC games that gave us an early glimpse of next gen graphics like Half-life 2, Painkiller, Doom 3 ect. for those who wanted it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm not excited for it i'm more than happy with my 360.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Like I don't know about you guys but I remember playing Dead Rising for the first time when it came out and going "OMG this is so awesome." the same thing with Oblivion and its then high tech plant rendering tech and stuff, strolling out and looking at the Vistas... New hardware is everything for pushing gaming forward.Minishdriveby
Creativity is more important. Also better tech means higher cost which means we'll be seeing more companies go bankrupt.

Tech is a rising tide that lifts all boats. More processing power enables not only sharper textures, but better physics, better AI, better lighting, denser level geometry, more enemies onscreen, more dynamic environments and better special effects. The stronger the tech, the more is possible. A talented artist can make a beautiful sketch with a pencil, but they can do even more with a brush and a full palette.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ilovegames1992

Didn't realise gamers were so concerned with better graphics and tech. Thought most people cared about good gameplay..

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CarnageHeart

Didn't realise gamers were so concerned with better graphics and tech. Thought most people cared about good gameplay..

Ilovegames1992

You can't divorce gameplay/game design from the tech which enables it.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Last gen I always felt like I was playing a video game - this gen I feel like I'm taking part in an adventure. The tech has made it possible to create much more realistic environments, more realistic character movements, etc. and the level of immersion I get from games has skyrocketed. I'm looking forward to seeing what developers can do once they've got more powerful systems to work with. Should be impressive.

Oh sure there's plenty of negatives - the much higher cost of development will lead to a smaller variety of games, and we've still got that effing "Call of Duty sold a gazillion copies, we must make out game more like Call of Duty" thing going on, but oh well. Hopefully we'll see a new batch of IP's at the beginning of the next gen and even if they sequalize them to death, at least it will be fun for a while.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm not, actually. Most of the games I enjoy on the systems I own could probably be compared to previous generations (at least graphically). I also don't care much for the blockbusters that put presentation over gameplay and depth, and that can be beaten in one or two sittings.

Next gen will probably be more of this with even more restrictions to the consumer, and even less overall value.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart

I'm not, actually. Most of the games I enjoy on the systems I own could probably be compared to previous generations (at least graphically). I also don't care much for the blockbusters that put presentation over gameplay and depth, and that can be beaten in one or two sittings.

Next gen will probably be more of this with even more restrictions to the consumer, and even less overall value.

Bigboi500

C'mon man, you're a fellow fan of the late, great Starhawk. Having 32 people running around a map in giant mechs and tanks and slapping down buildings whereever they pleased just wasn't the sort of experience one could have pulled off on the Xbox1, PS2 or GC.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

CarnageHeart

C'mon man, you're a fellow fan of the late, great Starhawk. Having 32 people running around a map in giant mechs and tanks and slapping down buildings whereever they pleased just wasn't the sort of experience one could have pulled off on the Xbox1, PS2 or GC.

That was a rare exception because I don't care for most online multiplayer games. I'm happier with archaic JRPGs and SRPGs. :P And while I enjoy a game like Uncharted on occasion, I really don't like the idea of games becoming even more cinematic, where I just press a button every ten minutes to advance a chapter, or sift through dialog trees for a longer time than learning and enjoying a deep control scheme.

If developers continue to copy & paste popular shooters and sports games instead of re-discovering their imaginations, gaming will become progressively more shallow even at a faster rate. The new power will allow them to make things prettier for sure, and I'm aware that it will also allow for better ai and physics, but will developers use that power to do more than paint a nice picture? I'm not sure I have much faith in that prospect anymore, minus the rare exception here and there.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Ilovegames1992
Why does it have to be one or the other?
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Better technology means more gameplay possibilities. I think that we've seen all of this genre is capable of producing. I'm not excited about next gen, but I think that it's time we see stronger hardware.

I mean come on people, the 360 only has 512 MB of RAM. That's 1/4th or less of what is in your grandma's PC. My phone has more RAM than that.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Archangel3371

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Not saying it has to be. Just interesting is all.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

CarnageHeart

Better tech doesn't mean better gameplay. At all. Not in my opinion.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

I give this trolling attempt a 5 out of 10. It sure is an ambitious attempt, but it's too easy for anyone with half a brain to put 2 and 2 together and see why it can't be true.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

ReddestSkies

I give this trolling attempt a 5 out of 10. It sure is an ambitious attempt, but it's too easy for anyone with half a brain to put 2 and 2 together and see why it can't be true.

Mario Kart > Burnout Paradise.

Final Fantasy 7 > Final Fantasy XIII

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory > Splinter Cell Conviction

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Your first comparison is a very, very strange one. Burnout Paradise is a freeroamer in which racers try to nudge each other into having accidents. A better comparison (perhaps the game you were actually thinking of) is Blur though of course, the most obvious analog is unabashed kart racers such as Sega Allstars Racing Transformed and Modnation Racers.

As for the rest of your examples, sometimes series stumble a bit or even completely collapse. In that case, the ideal is to look elsewhere rather than just kind of keeping buying from a franchises that you have lost interest in and hoping that eventually, maybe the designers rediscover their mojo.

Fans of non-rpg (and rpg for that matter) free roamers who have been willing to look past GTA4 have had a lot of great options this gen (nods towards Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption and Infamous). *Shrugs* But if you're stuck on the last three franchises you named and refuse to look elsewhere, I can see why you are unhappy (though GTA5 does look like it will put the series back on track).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Well said. He's the real troll here, calling others trolls. How ironic.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

CarnageHeart

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Your first comparison is a very, very strange one. Burnout Paradise is a freeroamer in which racers try to nudge each other into having accidents. A better comparison (perhaps the game you were actually thinking of) is Blur though of course, the most obvious analog is unabashed kart racers such as Sega Allstars Racing Transformed and Modnation Racers.

As for the rest of your examples, sometimes series stumble a bit or even completely collapse. In that case, the ideal is to look elsewhere rather than just kind of keeping buying from a franchises that you have lost interest in and hoping that eventually, maybe the designers rediscover their mojo.

Fans of non-rpg (and rpg for that matter) free roamers who have been willing to look past GTA4 have had a lot of great options this gen (nods towards Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption and Infamous). *Shrugs* But if you're stuck on the last three franchises you named and refuse to look elsewhere, I can see why you are unhappy (though GTA5 does look like it will put the series back on track).

My only point is that better tech doesn't mean better games at all. It can do obviously, but its not a rule. I don't need better graphics and better engines to be entertained. There's a reason so many retro games hold up today, regardless of nostalgia.

I was being sensationalist in my first post though, i do enjoy current games and wil enjoy newer games but, to me at least, there are many games with less sophisticated tech that are more enjoyable. I mean look at FF and Resi Evil in all its pre-rendered crappy glory. If you enjoy them less than the current installments then fair enough, but i certainly don't. It depends on what you want out of a game i guess.

And i'm definitely not trying to understate the influence and importance of technology to the industry, or at least i didn't mean to. I just don't really get people who cannot wwait for gaming to be more advanced, because i quite like gaming the way it is and has been for the last 20 years. Fun, immersive and with a controller in my hand. :)

And in regards to the games i chose, it was mainly to highlight the difference, at least in my opinion. I do enjoy all the games i listed. And yes Burnout is free roam but i always raced, was the first current gen fun racer to pop in my head. But i thought highlighting from the same series would show the contrast in games. Comparing Splinter Cell CT to Assassins Creed wouldn't really make sense. And yes i do believe gaming is probably still as good as it always was, not really a misty eyed retro fanboy.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

CarnageHeart

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

It's not black and white, one way or the other, but he has a strong point. Some think having better ai, physics and graphics automatically translate into better games and that simply isn't the case. I'd like to expand on his examples a bit:

GTA3, GTA: VC, GTA: SA are all miles better than GTA4

FFVIII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and FFXII>>>FFXIII and FFXIII-2

RE 1-4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE5 & 6

All TLoZ before TP and SS are much better

Same can be argued for franchises like Devil May Cry and Twisted Metal.

It's split for games like The Elder Scrolls, Metroid and Fallout.

Of course there are lots of examples of game series being better this gen too.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

Bigboi500

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Cherrypicking a handful of examples to support a false conclusion ('All movies are superhero movies, to prove it I'll name five of them!) doesn't make it true, and would get laughed out of Debate 101.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

CarnageHeart

Cherrypicking a handful of examples to support a false conclusion ('All movies are superhero movies, to prove it I'll name five of them!) doesn't make it true, and would get laughed out of Debate 101.

I didn't say make that claim at all...

People really like misreading and shouting troll on here.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Bigboi500

It's not black and white, one way or the other, but he has a strong point. Some think having better ai, physics and graphics automatically translate into better games and that simply isn't the case. I'd like to expand on his examples a bit:

GTA3, GTA: VC, GTA: SA are all miles better than GTA4

FFVIII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and FFXII>>>FFXIII and FFXIII-2

RE 1-4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE5 & 6

All TLoZ before TP and SS are much better

Same can be argued for franchises like Devil May Cry and Twisted Metal.

It's split for games like The Elder Scrolls, Metroid and Fallout.

Of course there are lots of examples of game series being better this gen too.

Exactly. Don't see what the issue is here.

But the simple fact of the matter is better tech doesn't necessarily mean better games in my opinion.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

GTA Vice City > GTA 4

Quite simple really...

Here's a very simple way to see it: would GTA Vice City be possible on the SNES, with super super super downgraded graphics, without sacrificing gameplay?