Which GAME ENDING gave you the most satisfaction?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cybrdestroyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cybrdestroyr
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

We have all been there...

You spend hours upon hours working, dying, trying again; Only to be disappointed by the horrendous rolling of credits which is supposed to be your reward for a "JOB WELL DONE"

But there are those rare gems that not only draw you in emotionally as a game, but also give you a calm, peaceful, sense of closure to your gaming experience. A feeling that your experience wasnt wasted and will not soon be forgotten. It can be something as simple as the right music, or a well thought out "text" based after story that allows you to know what happened to your characters, almost baiting you to look forward to a sequel yet, somehow, being happy enough with the ending, you wouldnt wanna degrade the experience by looking too far ahead.

Those games pull you into the moment and allow you to just be "satisfied" with how it turned out & yet somehow become engrained in your psychy so much so that it rivals a "religious" experience equivalent for a gamer.

Which games, past or present, stick out in your mind in this manner and how did it effect your life as a gamer?

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I may be in the minority here but the first Bioshock ending ( I got the good one :)) Really gave me some pretty good satisfaction. Just something about it really capped off the whole overall experience.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
StarCraft Planescape: Torment Deus Ex (was really a bit crap, but very philosophical)
bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

metal gear solid 3 and 4.

cybrdestroyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cybrdestroyr
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

As silly as it sounds, with all the new "CG" endings of the last 10-15 years, my fondest memories came frm some of the most simplest of game endings.

Original ZELDA(NES) was such a fabulous combination of music, gameplay, and accomplishment, you couldn't help but love it when you defeated Ganon the first time (& the second).

NINJA GAIDEN(NES) was such a difficult and tightly controlled game that was so "driven" by its "subtitle" like sequences, you felt like you were a part of a game manga. Dont even get me started about how hard the final level was when you faced your father being controlled by that "clown-nose" looking thing on the wall. I almost felt more satisfaction just figuring that out than beating the game itself.

SUPER MARIO 2(NES) was basically a different game with a MARIO "veneer" added to it for US consumption. But something about that soft subtle music at the end as you watched Mario fast asleep in his bed, letting you know it was all JUST A DREAM gave you that "warm-fuzzy" feeling that many guys wouldnt admit to unless you were being recruited for the next epiosode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy".

FFVII was one of the most memorable RPG endings in the newer gen of CD-ROM systems that really got me back into RPG's. Nothing beats spending more hours a week playing a game than working & then getting an ending that truly makes ya feel it was worth it. Never did anyone know the names "CLOUD" & "SEPIROTH" so well as when FFVII was released for the original Playstation.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Mass Effect really got me. In a sense, it was a simple, yet powerful scene. Both Uncharted games had good endings also.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
The Saboteur. The guy in the end was like "Wait, we're just getting started". And of course, Bad Company 2 - Russia takes over the world, rofl rofl.
Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Chrono Trigger (One of the endings atleast...)

Metal Gear Solid 1 3 and 4

God of War 1 and 3

Trooperdx3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Trooperdx3117
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Personally I don't think there really ever are good endings to games. Most games always crap out on the ending in anticipation of a sequel while other games are so good that you dont want them to end and therefore you end up unsatisfied about the ending. Of course if I had to pick a good ending then i'd probably say CoD4, there was something inherently satisfying and dramatic about lying down on the ground half dead, just as your about to be executed, suddenly a friendly helicopter flies past and your given to a few second window to have pistol thrown over to you and to gun down the guy who executed your squadmates.
chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

Persona 3 for the PS2. One of my favorite games of all time. The end actually got me choked up a bit. Metal Gear Solid 1 also had an amazing ending.

Schin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Schin360
Member since 2010 • 73 Posts

Persona 3 and Metal Gear Solid 1

Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

FFIX. It was all sad then Bam! Amazing.

screenhustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 screenhustla
Member since 2006 • 659 Posts

Call of Duty WAW ending was pretty epic for me

Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

The most satisfaction? :x There's so many...

Okay, for me it's Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Those games pull you into the moment and allow you to just be "satisfied" with how it turned out & yet somehow become engrained in your psychy so much so that it rivals a "religious" experience equivalent for a gamer.
cybrdestroyr

By that definition, both Shadow of the Colossus and Prince of Persia [2008] fit the bill. I'm still trying to fully understand the ending in PoP, I've even spent many hours delving into the Zoroastrian religious tradition to help with its subtle yet extremely moving ending. It makes you question your entire morality structure.
[spoiler]
You are fighting for Ohrmazd, the all-good creator of the universe, to rid the land of putrid corruption instilled in it by the wicked Ahriman, with the help of Elika, a woman brought back from the dead by her father, who used the power of the temple that has kept Ahriman sealed for hundreds of generations. Now, Ahriman is on the verge of escape, and his minions have nearly sapped the land dry of its beauty and life essence, and it is your job to fight back and restore the light. After finishing off all of Ahriman's servants, you fight Ahriman himself, finally sealing him again in the temple for another hundreds generations... but at a cost, Elika, your dear friend and companion who you have grown to love, as a result of this sealing is stripped of her purpose and dies once again.

Now you have a decision to make... either you leave Ahriman sealed for a hundred generations and have the high likelihood of him escaping (according to the Zoroastrian tradition, for a time, Ahriman was sealed away in the Void, only to be released and take control of the world for a time) or let him come out and bring your companion back to life with the power she sacrificed to seal him away (why suffer alone, when you can be together and fight Ahriman together?). According to Zoroastrianism, ultimately, Goodness/Light will prevail over Wickedness/Darkness and Ohrmazd will be victorious and Ahriman will be utterly destroyed (because Ohrmazd has omniscience and can see the end of Ahriman, while Ahriman is ignorant and arrogant)... so why sacrifice your friend and love just to keep Ahriman sealed for a short time when it is destined for him to be released?

The subtlety of the ending is superb. For the entire length of the game, it plays to your senses, and delights you with beauty (the colourful "healed" vistas in contrast to the "corrupted" zones) for doing the "right" thing... yet in the end, makes you question whether it was the "right" thing to do or not. [/spoiler]
It is an amazing game when you go beneath the surface (much like Shadow of the Colossus)... and I think far too many people took too little time to really appreciate the game for what it is. Perhaps I'm looking into it too much, but I do think the developers intended for the imagery and plot outcome to play a large role in the symbolism associated with the game and the religious tradition it pulled its source material from. It really is an artistic masterpiece, and I have no problem in saying that it most definitely is the "Shadow of the Colossus" of this generation. I'd even go as far to say it is better in the artistic regard because the Prince is an unlikely hero who is not altruistic nor has values that are kind of unrealistic (like Wander). He just ended up in the right place at the right time, and made the choice that best benefited him and Elika.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

There is quite a few, can name a lot of Squaresoft Japanese RPG games which are probably listed already but they tend to put a lot into their endings. Someone always says Portal although I hated that crappy cheap game. The secret endings to Silent Hill 2 and 3. Dragonage Origins, although has multiple endings pretty much any you pick gives you a proper finish.

Can't think what my favorite is. Maybe it will come to me later.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Persona 3 and 4 had some great endings. Zone of Enders 1 and 2 were pretty good too.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
METAL GEAR SOLID 3.. without a doubt.. "My" ending of Heavy Rain was craptastic... hated it, lol...
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

Throne of Baal ending was extremely satisfactory for me.

Deus Ex also.

And Planescape Torment.

EDIT: I forgot Quest for Glory 4 and the "Ultimate Joke". Sweet!

Ripcurl530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Ripcurl530
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

I totally agree, Foxhound_Fox. The new Prince of Persia had an amazing ending. Everything you worked for the entire game, gone in an instant and by your own doing. Awesome ending.

Metal Gear Solid 4's ending was perfect. It gave me chills.

Infamous' ending was awesome and super intense. It also gave me chills.

I like when an ending gives me chills- that's when I know it worked :P.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#21 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Bioshock's "good" ending Deus Ex S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Deus Ex, Call of Duty World at War and Final Fantasy VI are the only games in recent memory that actually made me go. 'Wow, its actually over.'

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Heavenly sword was bittersweet but a perfect way to top off the whole amazing game.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4. I was glad when it (finally) ended.

No, but seriously, everyone knows Metal Gear Solid 3 has the best, most satisfying ending of all time. It was so good that not even Guns of the Nanomachines could ruin it (and believe me -- it TRIED.)

A distant second would be Shadow of the Colossus. Such a beautiful, haunting ending that says a lot without saying a word.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I really liked Lost Odyssey's ending. Though I didn't want it to end, it wrapped everything up nicely and left a pleasant after-taste. It's one of those games that I can look back at fondly and really appreciate the video game medium. The whole game had great presentation all the way through so by the time you got to the end you had a strong connection to the characters. Thinking about it now makes me want to play it again.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
The most recent ones for me were:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - an immensely powerful and emotionally charged ending that really felt like everything had been wrapped up nicely
  • Mass Effect 2 - I saw the "good" ending and I was incredibly satisfied not only with how part 2 of this series concluded but also with the foreshadowing of how part 3 might go and the direction of the series in general. It gave me goosebumps.
  • Final Fantasy XIII - was just an all around good ending that capped off an excellent game sufficiently.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

When Ninja Gaiden ended I was both satisfied and relieved.. It was a great game, but boy was it difficult at times..

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
MGS4, Dead Space, GTA: SA
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Dragon Age definitely springs to mind. In a time when everyone is pushing a sequel down your throat before you've even played the original, Dragon Age just goes all out and offers a true ending.

Then, of course, there's Portal with its absolutely sublime ending. I also love Half-Life 2's ending to death. Even once the credits rolled, I just kept staring at the screen in sheer awe and disbelief.

Other notable mentions include Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, The Witcher, Fable II (A Perfect World sequence) and Mafia.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#31 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn. Getting to blast a famous monument as Nod or seeing Kane get buried by the Ion Cannon beats any ending by far.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

metal gear games and final fantasy games :)

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
Final Fantasy 9 and Lost Odyssey
XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XanderKage
Member since 2006 • 8956 Posts

Mafia by far.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Mass Effect 1, mainly thanks to the epic music.

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#37 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn. Getting to blast a famous monument as Nod or seeing Kane get buried by the Ion Cannon beats any ending by far.

Desulated
yeah, that was good
ZombieNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZombieNoob
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

All three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (good endings ofc). I was happy when I saw those

And I like Call of Cthulhu ending, even if main character died. It's cool ending

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

And I like Call of Cthulhu ending, even if main character died. It's cool endingZombieNoob

Oooh, yeah. A very unconventional ending. Great game. It's too bad that only like 5 people played it. :P

Pneumonia-Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pneumonia-Hawk
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles ending was perfect for me.
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieNoob"]And I like Call of Cthulhu ending, even if main character died. It's cool endingUpInFlames

Oooh, yeah. A very unconventional ending. Great game. It's too bad that only like 5 people played it. :P

Well in anything tied to the Old Ones (games, books, w/e) the ending always has a grim sense of inevitability, so I wouldn't say it was unconventional.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I have a certain fondness for MGS3's ending. It was very satisfying.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#43 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Starcraft

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Ninja Gaiden Black

Uncharted 2

MGS4

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
MGS4 [spoiler] Big Boss FTW! [/spoiler]
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts
The Saboteur. The guy in the end was like "Wait, we're just getting started". And of course, Bad Company 2 - Russia takes over the world, rofl rofl.Crimsader
i HATED bad companys 2 ending. i was expecting so much more from the last level, and that was it?
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Theres no good game endings because if it was a good ending you wouldn't have wanted it to end. (just to sound smart)

zaphodbblbrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 zaphodbblbrox
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

Bionic Commando (NES): This is still one of my all time favorites, I can still remember how cool that explosion looked, and that bad guys face getting ripped apart was just brutal.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Honestly I was extremley satisfied with the ending I got in Heavy Rain, and felt quite content after finishing the game. That would be my most recent, all time favorite ending.... ehhh not sure. I usually find most videogame endings to be terrible, anticlimatic or worse.
Blargsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Blargsman
Member since 2009 • 395 Posts
My Heavy Rain ending was awesome - the equivalent of a solid suspense film with a happy ending. Metal Gear Solid 3 was also amazing. It is my experience that games with memorable end-game battles or sequences have more satisfying endings. I love the series to death, but Mass Effect games have the worst endings. The first one had one hell of a dull ending. If anything, I felt like the game was just starting to take off, but then I was rewarded for my efforts in the game with a head-shaking end screen with my Shepard standing proud and awful music. The second game wasn't nearly as bad... but it teases the utter crap out of you and wants you to fund BioWare to finish Mass Effect 3, a-sap!
Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
I really liked Warcraft III: Frozen Throne's ending. I also really liked Mafia's ending. Dead Space's ending was hilarious, though, it surprises you.