When was the last time a game actually amazed you??

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

The only games that have amazed me this gen are RDR, Just Cause 2, GoW3, Fallout 3, Oblivion,

Ryan798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Ryan798
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

Red dead redemption amazed me because of the ending, it was as sad as a video game can get.

Probably graphics wise would have to get KZ3/Crysis 2. Great visuals for consoles.

and finally, games that i expect to amaze, LA Noire, BF3, Skyrim and finally UC3, i expect none of them will though :P

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#53 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Fallout 3 amazed me with its atmosphere and the characters, I actually cared for them. Ocarina of Time also amazed me when I played it when I was 6, and it still amazes me to this day.

imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

Its been a real long time for me...

Probably the last best thing to ever amaze me was Ninja Gaiden 2 for the xbox360.

Just was pure genius. The gameplay felt amazing. Since then i have had a hard time really thinking of a game as amazing. Untill the day i see a game that can surpass NG2, I may be amazed.

Though i was pretty impressed with the 3DS. I didnt think it would be that cool. That is untill after buying it. I remember getting home and turning on the 3D switch.

I was like "HOLY DANG NINTENDO THIS IS JUST CRAZY AWESOMENSS!!" Really was. Maybe because i didnt have high expectations for it..

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
This year when I played Heavenly Sword, looking at the unbelievable facial animations
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#56 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

to be honest i really have not been so amazed since the n64 came out it just doesnt faze me any more i mean when i played nes for the first time that amazed me then snes then i was really blown away with the n64 , but i got a ps1 a year later i was not The omg this is awsome person maybe i should have bought ps1 first then n64 but ya ,

the current gen has the wii which probably is the closest thing next to ds and 3ds that just had my jaw drop ,

but ps3 360 they just feel like ps2 and xbox prepped for hd tvs ,

they just dont have the spark

hopfully wii u does cause im seriously hating oh the power and online disputes ,

they may have better visuals but when the games are shorter thats a problem

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Last few: Fallout 3, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest VI, Tactics Ogre.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#58 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Truly amazed me... Shadow of the Colossus. It still amazes me every time I play it.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#59 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Shadow of the Colossus ended up being a lot better than I expected. Also I expected Starcraft 2 to be another typical rts and the scenes and story were a pleasant surprise.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#60 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Ninja Gaiden Black.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I buy a variety of games yet each one i play ceases to amaze me. The only series that look like worth playing to me is Dead Space, Infamous, Zelda, and Mario... Games anymore seem to be getting less and less fun and more about just the companies getting money... Is it just me?ShadowsGameTime

No, its not just you; its true. Games aren't about fun; they're about money and beating the tar out of someone else.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

2007 when i bought my gtx280s and sli them...crysis was so far ahead of anything that it was rediculous.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#63 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Shadow of the Colossus ended up being a lot better than I expected. Also I expected Starcraft 2 to be another typical rts and the scenes and story were a pleasant surprise.Allicrombie
Wow.. you actually share an opinion that I don't flatout object to. :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#64 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Truly amazed me... Shadow of the Colossus. It still amazes me every time I play it.JustPlainLucas
Is it bad that I still haven't had an opportunity to play it? I've ALWAYS been so interested in that game ... but it always slips my mind.
X-The-Doctor-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 X-The-Doctor-X
Member since 2010 • 1268 Posts

Assassins Creed II- THe graphic's but more particularly the design of Venice and Florence in the 1400's the way those buildings are designed is beautiful as well as the detail in close up looks on characters the free roaming is nice and in general the game just feels fresh to me. Especially now that i'm replaying it.

Red Dead Redemption was also really great, the graphic's were neat and the story and characters were astounding. It was almost like a movie but better.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
bioshock amazed me for sure.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins -- had some impressive storytelling moments.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two -- both visually and from a storytelling perspective.

Crysis 1 -- also very impressive graphically

Fallout 3 -- visually, atmospherically, and with a very cool introductory sequence.

World of Warcraft -- the scope, art style, environments etc. were vey well done.

Mass Effect 1 -- had a few great cinematic moments.

Mass Effect 2 -- the beginning.

Mafia -- Liked the story. The ending especially so.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -- great game.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Recently, Devil May Cry 3. Replaying the first 3 for Ps2 and forgot how awesome the game was until I finished it again.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 erwingameon
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

Without a doubt, TLoZ:OoT

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I was late to the party but I am amazed at Uncharted 2's variety. I've never seen so many gameplay options in an adventure game that mesh so really well, not to mention the incredible multiplayer. I've put in over 65 hours into that game. Would have been more, but UC3 beta arrived. :)0
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Game / Why it amazed me

Nier / Story, soundtrack
Silent Hill 2 / Story
Phantom Dust / Story
Bayonetta / Over-the-top action and sheer fun factor
Vanquish / See statement above
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor / See both statements above
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury / 1000 Missiles at once.
Portal / For being such an original and fun experience
Portal 2 / See statement above, but even more so. Also, atmosphere.
The Void / For breathtaking beauty, atmosphere, and immersion.
Metroid Prime 1 / For properly managing to take the Super Metroid formula into 3D; incredibly immersive and atmospheric.
Odin Sphere / Gorgeous hand-drawn sprites.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade / See statement above; also, the ridiculous amount of paralaxes (sometimes more than 10) in the backgrounds.
Demon's Souls / For its beautiful art direction, and somehow being incredibly addictive despite (or even because of) its punishing difficulty.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Games that amazed me:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Sonic Unleashed, World of Warcraft, Amnesia the Dark Descent and Portal 2.

But they only amazed me on my first playthrough. Take Portal 2 for example:

[spoiler] I was amazed by Portal 2's ending because you place a portal on the moon and...IT FREAKING WORKS!!!!! You go to the freaking moon!!!! And that's how you defeat Wheatley, by sending him into space. My reaction to that was: "NO!!! NO!!! NO F**KING WAY!!!" I litterally yelled that. And now whenever I play that part of the game again, I will never have the same reaction again because I know what's coming. It's still very entertaining to watch. [/spoiler]

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#74 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

I would say Portal 2 because it lived up to my expectations and then some. I agree that not a lot of games do that anymore.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins -- had some impressive storytelling moments.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two -- both visually and from a storytelling perspective.

Crysis 1 -- also very impressive graphically

Fallout 3 -- visually, atmospherically, and with a very cool introductory sequence.

World of Warcraft -- the scope, art style, environments etc. were vey well done.

Mass Effect 1 -- had a few great cinematic moments.

Mass Effect 2 -- the beginning.

Mafia -- Liked the story. The ending especially so.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -- great game.

SkyWard20
actually damn I agree with this list a lot now that you mention it. I haven't played mafia or world of warcraft though.
YouVandal3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 YouVandal3
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts

Metro 2033

Heavy Rain

Half-Life 2 Ep1 & 2. ...Hell pratically the whole Orange Box minus TF2 i never really played that.

L.A Noire

Portal 2

Bioshock - storyline was emerging and great.

Gears 1 - when i first got it i was in awe of the graphics

RDR

Hoping i can add dead island to this list!

SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

I buy a variety of games yet each one i play ceases to amaze me. Is it just me?ShadowsGameTime

Wow, I could not disagree more.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have been nothing BUT amazed this generation. Maybe it's because every single game I've played this generationis unique in a way that makes me truly appreciate and value them:

Heavy Rain: My absolute favorite title so far of this generation. The innovative controls, attention to detail, story-based drama, and overall presentation is unlike anything else I've ever played. This is easily one of the most underrated games to date. This game is ALL about being different, unique, and innovative.

Metal Gear Solid 4: This was the first FANTASTIC title of this generation. This the title that retains everything that makes the series great but adds to that everything that makes western games great as well. In addition, the story is so insanely convoluted (and I mean that in a good way) and comprehensive that it still remains the most insane narrative of any video game to date.

Super Mario Galaxy: Without a doubt the best game of the entire franchise to date. This is also quite possibly the best game that Nintendo has ever put out.

BioShock: This new series takes immersion to a whole new level. Not only that, it is so heavily philosophical and political in its setting and premise that it's hard to believe it's only a video game.

Final Fantasy XIII: Absolutely the most brilliant visuals of any game to date. The title has also featured one of the most insanely smart and enjoyable combat systems in not only RPG but gaming history.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The original is still the best in the world of open-world games. This game retains everything that made its predecessors so enjoyable and fixes everything, while adding even more detail. And unlike its predecessors, instead of making the world bigger, the developers added layers upon layers of depth to make the world of Liberty City the most fleshed-out gaming environment ever in a single-player game.

Dead Space: The scariest game to date. This is survival horror at its absolute best.

Uncharted 2: The greatest title that has ever been published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Many games CLAIM to play like a Hollywood film ... but Uncharted 2 is the only one that ACTUALLY does. Everything from the unbelievable level design to the insanely good voice acting makes for the most well-rounded, complete, and immersive gaming experience ever.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: The highest-rated superhero video game of all time. And since Batman is easily the greatest superhero of all time as well, this game does much more than simply prove that you CAN make a great game using an existing IP.

Super Street Fighter IV: The highest-rated fighting game of all time. This game retained everything that made its predecessor such a huge hit back in the day ... and improved upon it in every way. This is the last fighter you will ever need, period.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: This adventure takes the classic formula and adds to it the full potential of motion-sensing control, making it one of the single reasons to own a Wii.

L.A. Noire: This game takes the best of open-world and adds to it insane amounts of mystery and suspense, while taking place in a historical Los Angeles setting. The innovative facial animations made possible by motion capture technology ALONE makes this game stand out.

Mass Effect 2: This is the Star Wars of video games right here. The franchise has already established itself as the ultimate action RPG experience, delivering a game so personal that it rivals Heavy Rain in that respect. Mass Effect is so epic that words cannot even describe just how much.

LittleBigPlanet: What else is there to say about this game? Absolutely the ULTIMATE in platforming, PERIOD. While you can play nearly 2 million user-created levels, it's the amazing story worlds that are award-worthy. Platforming at its absolute finest. Not only that, but the textures, the shading, the layers of depth ... the visuals are just as impressive as the gameplay. This is Sony's greatest franchise, bar none. And games such as this and Uncharted 2 are the reasons why the PlayStation 3 has surpassed the rest of the industry to become the fiercest console to date.

So yeah, I feel the exact opposite. Because this generation of games has impressed me far, far more than anything in the past ever has.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#78 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4: This was the first FANTASTIC title of this generation. This the title that retains everything that makes the series great but adds to that everything that makes western games great as well. In addition, the story is so insanely convoluted (and I mean that in a good way) and comprehensive that it still remains the most insane narrative of any video game to date.

SummerHillard

Now that you mention it, I enjoyed MGS4 a lot. I don't want to spoil anything, but it has some great bosses.

SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

Seriously, I forgot to add that just watching gameplay footage of Uncharted 2 online is more than fun than actually playing many other games.

I remember watching the train stage on YouTube and thinking ... holy crap, is this what video games have become?!

And the answer was actually 'no,' most games still don't come close to that level of gameplay, and that's why Uncharted 2 is so critically acclaimed.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i'm also saying la noire, the acting combined with the facial animations was amazing. recongnizing actors based on how they look was a new one

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

I would say Portal 2 because it lived up to my expectations and then some. I agree that not a lot of games do that anymore.

demonic_85
I agree. I was hyping that game to hell and it STILL exceeded my expectations
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

Demon's Souls and BioShock were both pretty amazing.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts
The graphics of Witcher 2
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts
Probably Bioshock... Or maybe Red Dead Redemption.
Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

The 1st Mass Effect amazed me as well as Red Dead Redemption. Mass Effect more with the story, characters, and wonder of the universe Bioware created and Red Dead just because of how much fun it was to ride around in the Wild West looking for quest to take up and what not. Other than that, nothing really stands out. Less and less games seem to amaze me as the trends in the gaming industry change.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While not the overall game, I did get amazed last night at how well the developers had made the water behave in Hydrophobia Prophecy. Quite possibly the best water behaviour in a game so far.
Bob_Wesker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Bob_Wesker
Member since 2011 • 50 Posts

I was pretty wowed by the God of War games actually. I hadn't really played a video game since about 2001 so when a dude at work who i call "wiki" was raving about those games i was pretty reluctant to trust his opinion. But i picked up Chains of Olympus for my recently acquired PSP and I couldn't believe how amazing it was. He brought in his PS2 so i could experience GOWI and GOWII at work and my life was complete. I'm now playing Ghost of Sparta and just beat Erinys which was a pretty Epic battle for a handheld version of a game. Sure wish i had a PS3.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Shadow of The Colossus. Also the last time I actually reached the end sequence of a game. Kind of sad...

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#89 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

games amaze me all the time. i think there's enough good games each year to get excited about. sometimes it's just the little things that are interesting.

nima_metal90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 nima_metal90
Member since 2009 • 775 Posts

killzone2-online was wonderful.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

Crysis - pretty much because of the visuals.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

The original Portal.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

Infamous definetily isnt amazing and the sequel didnt even have ragdoll

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#94 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Xenogears, just recently

DeadlyNirvana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DeadlyNirvana
Member since 2011 • 46 Posts
Assassin's Creed II, damn a game needs to be as good as that this year.
ondeena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ondeena
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
There's different aspects of different games that amazed me in different ways. Bioshock's incredible setting amazed me. Mass Effect's story amazed me with it's engaging story line. Fallout 3 amazed me with the level of misery it attained at certain points.
EmiPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#97 EmiPark
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

You're obviously playing the wrong games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#98 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Probably Pokemon White or Dead Space 2.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Definitely the ending of Mass Effect 2.

Avatar image for ShadowsGameTime
ShadowsGameTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ShadowsGameTime
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts
Dannnggg im a whole nother kind of late to this party. didnt expect my thread to get this far :P To everyone who said L.A Noire Its an okay game the only problems for me were glitchy landscape and a couple of unresponsive controls that caused death. @Turtlethetaffer Pkmn white is okay but theres not much to do after the E4 and all the legendarys r easy to catch. caught kyurem with a great ball. volcarona (non legendary but amazing) with a nest ball. I agree with anyone who said Mass effect 2 and Zelda TP