Sex Sells? Female Characters In Games Are Always Way Too Busty!!!

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Space_Cowboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Space_Cowboy7
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts

I've heard this from a number of gamers that were actually mostly male. Alot of gamers feel that the female main characters in

video games create an unrealistic sense of beauty. Example Laura Croft, The Chick From Heavenly Sword, The girl from the new

WET trailer, even Claire from Code Veronica all pretty, lol oh yeah, lets not forget the very "Developed" Woman from Ninja Gaiden

Sigma (is it just me or did she get more jiggily from the Xbox Ninja Gaiden?) Anyway how do you all feel about female characters

HAVING to be attractive to be a mian videogame character? More importantly, would any of you pay attention to a game that has a

super ugly woman as the main character? Or maybe a fat chick...? (no disrespect to fat chicks)

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
How often are main male characters ugly or fat?
SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

Have you seen the Mayor of New Haven from the new game Borderlands by Gearbox? They call her "The Dealbreaker" jokingly. Half of her face is burnt and scarred to oblivion. I love it! I wish more games would portray human beings as the ugly things they are.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

In the days of core:

super ugly, badass, if I see you you're dead and challenging gameplay. The game was about hunting artifacts and the boobs were only big to make her more feminine because she was designed to be a man.

In the days of crystal dynamics:

Lara should have bigger boobs, wear make up, no guns, no puzzles, a sissy and hesitant and easy to tempt, few enemies* five or four per game* the game about Lara...Er her body not character.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
Which is why I give kudos to games like The Longest Journey, Beyond Good & Evil, Dreamfall, No One Lives Forever, Metroid, Silent Hill 3, and Eternal Darkness....cause they all feature extremely cool female protagonists without going into the typical cliche other games do with presenting unrealistically overly-endowed female characters that developers like Itagaki seem obsessed with.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

Which is why I give kudos to games like The Longest Journey, Beyond Good & Evil, Dreamfall, No One Lives Forever, Metroid, Silent Hill 3, and Eternal Darkness....cause they all feature extremely cool female protagonists without going into the typical cliche other games do with presenting unrealistically overly-endowed female characters that developers like Itagaki seem obsessed with.Robnyc22

Very true, Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness is a particularly accomplished character, the whole game has a real level of maturity about it. It seems a shame that Nintendo seem to be slowly exploiting Samus based on her gender, although it will never go as far as the objectification in many games. I was playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance recently and Titania is another strong female character.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts
Women are definitely sexualized in games, but I have to point out that most male video game heroes are buff, handsome, and often shirtless. That said, Itagaki and whoever designed the latest Ivy model for the next Soul Calibur need to, like, meet some actual women to see what they look like. Reality is far better than the gross caricatures they've come up with, anyway.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

How often are main male characters ugly or fat?Skie7

Never so far as I know...unless they are somehow disfigured because of a horrible secret in their past: cliche.

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
i know what you mean. its funny how big their boobs r are lol would be nice to have a flat chested ugly women as the lead character
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#12 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
If the gameplay is fun and entertaining, it does not matter what the protagonist looks like, in my opinion. Fat chick or scrawny dork, great gaming is all that matters. You could even have a fat, ugly, dirty, mustachioed plumber that does 'shrooms as long as the gameplay was good enough. ;)
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shifty_Pete
If the gameplay is fun and entertaining, it does not matter what the protagonist looks like, in my opinion. Fat chick or scrawny dork, great gaming is all that matters. You could even have a fat, ugly, dirty, mustachioed plumber that does 'shrooms as long as the gameplay was good enough. ;)Bozanimal
Ha! You'd never sell a game like that! Next you're going to suggest a game based on an ugly gorilla that smells like a donkey...
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Honestly, I've always been more attracted to the women like Jade in Beyond Good & Evil and Alex from Half-Life 2.

Definitely not Rachel from Ninja Gaiden...

redX5112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 redX5112
Member since 2005 • 4295 Posts
it is a proven fact that people don't like to look at ugly people and thats why videogame characters and TV shows and Movies will always have attractive people in them
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Women are definitely sexualized in games, but I have to point out that most male video game heroes are buff, handsome, and often shirtless. That said, Itagaki and whoever designed the latest Ivy model for the next Soul Calibur need to, like, meet some actual women to see what they look like. Reality is far better than the gross caricatures they've come up with, anyway.Shifty_Pete

In JRPGs, the boys wear more makeup than the girls.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts
It will be awesome to see fat chick jumping, rolling, and shooting around like Lara Croft!!!:lol:
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamingqueen

It will be awesome to see fat chick jumping, rolling, and shooting around like Lara Croft!!!:lol:gfile

My post for clarification failed miserably. I guess it has soemthing to do with the people playing those games not the games themselves :|

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
who plays a video game for a role model or for perfect representations of reality? the games continue to sell for a reason. besides, how realistic is getting shot by an uzi and continuing on your merry way?
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shifty_Pete
who plays a video game for a role model or for perfect representations of reality? the games continue to sell for a reason. besides, how realistic is getting shot by an uzi and continuing on your merry way?OneWingedAngeI
What, you've never taken a few rounds on your way to work and just kept going? Wuss.
SonicWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SonicWind
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

[QUOTE="Skie7"]How often are main male characters ugly or fat?Articuno76

Never so far as I know...unless they are somehow disfigured because of a horrible secret in their past: cliche.

Mario is fat and ugly. :P
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
Many early female heroines were of normal build and appearance. (Phantasy Star 1, King's Quest 4)
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I was browsing through this site that was talking about top Japanese games that were never released in the west, and I came across this wierd ninja-gaiden type of game called Onichanbara Vortex-X (crazy title) that's about a very scantily dressed female cowgirl killing zombies. I'm sure someone posted this game in a thread before. I would post pictures but I think it's too racy for these boards. That's how scantily dressed she is, almost nude, but no nudity.

It'sa crazy game that takes the idea "sex-sells" to the its most exagerrated form.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shifty_Pete

I was browsing through this site that was talking about top Japanese games that were never released in the west, and I came across this wierd ninja-gaiden type of game called Onichanbara Vortex-X (crazy title) that's about a very scantily dressed female cowgirl killing zombies. I'm sure someone posted this game in a thread before. I would post pictures but I think it's too racy for these boards. That's how scantily dressed she is, almost nude, but no nudity.

It'sa crazy game that takes the idea "sex-sells" to the its most exagerrated form.

ASK_Story

She's in a bikini--at least in the first couple games. Those games are part of the Simple Series in Japan, with low dev budgets and low MSRPs. They're decent in a mindless hack 'n slash way, but yeah... they do pander a bit with the character design and the copious amounts of blood that splash everywhere.

Unholy_Sword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Unholy_Sword
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

First it was just regular girls, but you can see they make girls unbelievably attractive now with revealing clothes so.... I think sex does sell.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

You don't always need to be attractive female to be loved character.

The Boss from MGS3 was far from being super model character, but she had something within her that made her such powerful character and one of the best female characters to be created.

Also any female characters with bouncing boobs can catch a player's attention, but to be loved you need something more than that.

Lara Croft isn't one of the best female characters in gaming world because she has nice "assets" but because she has class and intelligence is why fans love her.

April Ryan from The Longest Journey was one of the most hideous character I've ever seen as female protagonist in gaming, but I love her more than most of other female characters because she had such a charming personality.

Sex does sell at initial impression, but to get fans hooked they need more than just sex.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

ASK_Story

What about Custer's Revenge?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
While it doesn't particularly bother me, I do think it basically makes the cliche that all video gamers are either 13 year old boys or virgins.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="Articuno76"]

[QUOTE="Skie7"]How often are main male characters ugly or fat?SonicWind

Mario is fat and ugly. :P

I dunno, he has the whole Ron Jeremy thing going on.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

While it doesn't particularly bother me, I do think it basically makes the cliche that all video gamers are either 13 year old boys or virgins.HandsomeDead

Look at the popular actresses out there and you will see a bunch of woman who could have easily become successful models. The same can largely be said of successful singers. Beating up the videogame industry for a society-wide trend doesn't make any sense.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ASK_Story

To be annoyingly honest, somedevelopers rely soly on a attractive looking female character to sell there, otherwise, mediocre game. And people do buy them even though the games aren't that great.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TriangleHard

To be annoyingly honest, somedevelopers rely soly on a attractive looking female character to sell there, otherwise, mediocre game. And people do buy them even though the games aren't that great.

ASK_Story

I don't think attractive female character alone can sell the games.

Many games had attractive female characters and still failed.

You need more than that. Either give them great personality or have that "moe" factor.

When a game provides such thing, I think it is fine because then at least the game will have a story that's worth going through (if that female character is strong personality that can sell it) or if the game has "moe" factor then it creates unusual mood for players to experience that you can't really find in other places (like DoA Xtreme)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Does anyone remember how the trend started? I think the first purposedly sexy girl in gaming was Mai Shiranui in Fatal Fury back in 1991.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TriangleHard

I think the trend started with Chun Li.

Her kicks man.... her kicks..... That's where fan service started.

That and maybe Final Fight with those sexy female gangs. Before that, I don't think video games chicks were detailed enough to really sell it with their bodies.

Then Tomb Raider really got it to mainstream.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Two very "real" looking females come to mind... Alyx Vance and Carla Valenti.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
samus in the skimpies at the end of the original metroid
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Joanna Dark isn't too bad, if I remember what she looks like. She isn't disproportionate, and she can kick ***. And that's hot!

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts
yes. sex does sell.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ASK_Story

Joanna Dark isn't too bad, if I remember what she looks like. She isn't disproportionate, and she can kick ***. And that's hot!

muthsera666

Are you sure? There's a lot of racy pictures, cover magazines, and official wallpapers that reveal her a little too much, but also as a tease.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamingqueen

That and maybe Final Fight with those sexy female gangs. Before that, I don't think video games chicks were detailed enough to really sell it with their bodies.

TriangleHard

But girls in anime always look like that.

What about ffx-2 what made it sell? it was too empty for a role-playing game.

Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts
I demand more pictures before I can judge.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

gamingqueen

I disagree. FFX2 suffered from humor that was often bizarre rather than funny, too many j-pop elements, and a mostly lightweight plot (though the Ronso planning to avenge themselves on the Guado was pretty far from lightweight), but the return of the jobs systems (welcome and well-done), the strong combat system (it allowed for combos, interruptions and simulataneous attacks) and the mission based structure were all nice.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

CarnageHeart

I disagree. FFX2 suffered from humor that was often bizarre rather than funny, too many j-pop elements, and a mostly lightweight plot (though the Ronso planning to avenge themselves on the Guado was pretty far from lightweight), but the return of the jobs systems (welcome and well-done), the strong combat system (it allowed for combos, interruptions and simulataneous attacks) and the mission based structure were all nice.

FFX-2 was SUPPOSED to be light hearted game.

There was many J-pop elements on purpose to keep everything in that light-hearted mood.

It was SUPPOSED to be fan service type of game, not a serious entry of Final Fantasy franchise.

FFX-2 humor, fan service, etc was the entire point of the game.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

muthsera666

In the N64 original she was a great character, even short hair on women is a rare occurance in games. For Perfect Dark Zero the proportions were all exaggerated, a miniscule waist contrasting with bulging breasts, it was obvious the devs were heading for a more raunchy look. Oh well PDZ was abysmal anyway.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

TriangleHard

I had forgotten those police girls in Final Fight! I thought about Chun Li too, but was she meant to be hot? Dunno.

proud722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 proud722
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

muthsera666

she's in a latex like body suit after that then were going down DOAX2 levels to prove the point

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Of course sex sells.
Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48 Video_Tycoon
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
Being a female, I sometimes find offence, like girls DO wear baggy clothes sometimes. And I don't mean poofy, I mean baggy. Video games should be a little rethought, its quality over quantity remember.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
I can honestly say I wouldn't buy a video game based on the old "sex sells" motto. I don't care if my character is male/female. As long as they can duel wield some uzis and do some kick-ass bullet time moves I honestly don't give a damn. >_>
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

CarnageHeart

True but too bad it was wasted on such a game. They could make a seperate game with that system and it would sell as much.