Seriously now, how did you got into gaming?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Went and bought myself a PSOne with Tomb Raider2. Then got myself Resident Evil 2. And that was all it took, from then on I was a gamer, it convinced me that videogames had evolved.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

I remember getting a Super NES when I was in first grade and started playing video games since.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#53 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
got my first gameboy back in 93
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

Had a surgery that went wrong when I was 10, played video games since because I can't walk.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#55 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I used to play Super Mario Brothers 3 when I went to my Grandma's house. It was tons of fun even though I sucked at it. Of course, I was young and couldn't really fathom how amazing games can be.

then along came Ocarina of Time, a gift to my brother for his birthday when I was about 8. Even though I was still young, it amazed me. The world was so cool, the atmosphere so inviting that I fell in love with it, even though I merely watched as my brother played it.

Then I bought Majora's Mask for five bucks at a retro game shop a few years later. And I realized that video games can be some of the most beautiful works of art ever seen.

That's the abridged story.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

My earliest vague memories of gaming was playing Altered Beast on an Amstrad, playing this game where you play as a king kong type character and destroy buildings. Then i remember the nintendo 64 days. Cant even imagine the hours i put into Mario 64, super Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time. Then came the PS1. Resi Evil 2, remember renting it from Blockbuster and accidentally snapping the disc one night when i snuck downstairs to play it, lol. Metal Gear Solid, so much fun, to this day i am still slightly scared of Psycho Mantis when his theme kicks in and Meryl goes ape. Remember screwing around playing Driver with my pals too. Then finally the PS2 and Xbox came around, me getting a lot of time on both consoles, me owning the latter but my best friend having the former. So many untold hours ploughing through Vice City, Timesplitters 2 etc.

Think by that point i was indeed a gamer, turning it from a casual interest, to a hobby to a passion. Think that may have started with my subscription to OXM ha. I still remember the demo disc you'd get with every issue. some good games i got from that, and some great reviews and pieces, wish i still had them actually for nostalgia, god knows where they are now.

My own personal little memories, back when gaming actually had something about it, as misty eyed and stupid as that sounds, its really changed now,both for the better and for the worse.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
When did Pong first come out? I played friends Atari's after they came out. I played my first PC game in 86 on my brother's computer. My first console was a PS1 which I had for about 6 months or so before I got my first PC just to play Rainbow Six. I haven't played a console game since then.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I think I really got into gaming with the Atari 2600 when I was 3 or 4. I remember playing a ton of Pole Position. And it was quite funny to watch AVGN's recent episode on Atari sports, because I remember playing them! Especially the golf game! :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

First experience was a second hand Atari 2600, and then Intellivision II in the early mid 80s. My first console my parents bought me was the Sega Master System and then in 1987, got an NES. During these years I relied heavily on Christmases and Birthdays for videogames and my parents felt I shouldn't be spoiled by buying me games whenever I wanted them, so that is why I didn't really got into gaming seriously or followed gaming trends during these years and had a small library of games for both platforms. Up until I was 12, in 1989, when I got my first job at my uncle's restaurant sweeping floors and dishwashing. Got paid under the tables, and saved up to buy my first console with my hard earn cash, and got the Sega Genesis!

From then on, Generation 4 will always be THE GENERATION that I actually GOT INTO gaming and FOLLOWED gaming trends. The SNES eventually came on board on my collection and the rest is history for my gaming habit.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

I got a NES for my birthday in 1987. After that it was on. Ive bought almost every system since then. My best memories are from playing the SNES though.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#61 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

My brother had a Spectrum Sinclare. I remember it, that little black keyboard. I must of been about 4 years old. He upgrade it to a Spectrum 48k, remmeber that grey rubber keyed thing and the love i had for it. He upgrade that to a Commodor 64, at that point I thought that the power of a computer is reflective in how big it's space bar was. Seriosuly, the space bars got bigger and bigger, then came the Amiga, even bigger space bar, better machine. Then PC's ruined everything! Imagine how big our space bars be now.

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
We got an Atari 2600 for Christmas, after they were clearance price to move when the industry fell on it's ass. I think I was about five years old at the time. (turning 32 next month!) We had Dig Dug, Pole Position, and that game where you jump between bits of ice and avoid polar bears. (the name escapes me) After the house it was replaced with a NES, and I discovered the holy trinity of Castlevania, Mega Man, and Mario. That's when my interest really took off.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Do you guys remember how you got into gaming? How old were you? What was the first platform you played on or owned?

Yesterday I was trying to fresh up my memory and I realized that it's been 19 years ago... (in a distant 1994) on my birthday I've been given a Nintendo SNES. Crazy days

V3rciS

My Father bought me a TV and a SNES in 1992 when I was 6. Last year I became a 20 year man of gaming, kind of sad in a way. A lot of younger gamers don't know some of the things they have had stripped away from them over the years. Not saying new games don't have fun to offer, but I miss certain things.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
25 years ago I was 5 and playing frogged and burger time on Atari, then my parents bought an nes for themselves which I primarily occupied :)
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

Do you guys remember how you got into gaming? How old were you? What was the first platform you played on or owned?

Yesterday I was trying to fresh up my memory and I realized that it's been 19 years ago... (in a distant 1994) on my birthday I've been given a Nintendo SNES. Crazy days

PublicNuisance

My Father bought me a TV and a SNES in 1992 when I was 6. Last year I became a 20 year man of gaming, kind of sad in a way. A lot of younger gamers don't know some of the things they have had stripped away from them over the years. Not saying new games don't have fun to offer, but I miss certain things.

Absolutely man, I miss these days soooo much! Trading cartridges with friends at school all the time and discussing about how cool Mortal Kombat was and trying to imitate all the moves and fatalities...

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

Had a Sega Genesis (When everyone had a PS1 at the time.) when I was little and played almost every single game including the Sonic series on it. Before the PS2 came out(like a weekbefore) my parents got me a PS1 and almost every single PS1 game ever for my B'day since most of their prices dropped. Was hooked after that since the only other console I got for that gen was the N64 when I went to my Grandmothers house to play games like Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, and others there and got myself a PS2 shortly after I beat more than half of my PS1 library. Don't know why, but I beat a PS1 game almost every weekend after I was done with school for the week. Guess my father flipped out at how fast I was learning how to play games. Oh and Gauntlet in the arcades. So addicting and such a quarter/token eater.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#67 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The first game I ever played was Mario Bros on the NES. I must have been 3 or 4 when I first played it, my Dad and his friend were playing it and I was watching them, I asked if I could try and they let me, they tried to explain the controls to me and I ended up getting past the level they couldn't. I remember loving the challenge and the goal, it was kind of like the feeling you get when you do a puzzle, you enjoy how it tests you.

I have been hooked ever since! Not a bad thing either, it kept me away from drugs,parties, getting girls pregnant,and just general out of trouble when I was in high school. On Friday night I wasn't interested in going to a dumb party (I don't really care for that much to begin with), I was more into trying to get home and level my character up on Oblivion or trying to kill a boss or something lol. The only parties I had were video game parties.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FreddyJeffery
Member since 2013 • 164 Posts
When I got an intellivision at launch. I already had a 2600, and it was fon, but Intel had more in-depth genres like Rpg, Adventure, Action Adventure, and other types of games, and tons of polished multiplayer titles. Which I held onto till the 3rd gen.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Absolutely man, I miss these days soooo much! Trading cartridges with friends at school all the time and discussing about how cool Mortal Kombat was and trying to imitate all the moves and fatalities...

V3rciS

You remember when Mortal Kombat came to theaters ? Oh man was that ever magical. My mom took my cousin and I, we had a blast. I also remember talking with my buddy in grade 5 about Super Metroid, talking about what area we were exploring at the time. So few games have worlds worth exploring like Super Metroid did. It seems that we get one game every once in a while that combines new school tech with old school spirit but so much is heavily scripted QTE stuff and just dumbed down difficulty.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

PublicNuisance

You remember when Mortal Kombat came to theaters ? Oh man was that ever magical. My mom took my cousin and I, we had a blast. I also remember talking with my buddy in grade 5 about Super Metroid, talking about what area we were exploring at the time. So few games have worlds worth exploring like Super Metroid did. It seems that we get one game every once in a while that combines new school tech with old school spirit but so much is heavily scripted QTE stuff and just dumbed down difficulty.

lol actually at first my parents would not allow me to watch it but then one day my friend got this VHS tape from his old brother and we watched it at my place while parents were absent! Sadly it's all memories now...;)

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
Similar! I remember knowing I wanted a 2600 something fierce and the opportunity came along when one of my cousins made the move to ColecoVision and unloaded his 2600 and heap of games (for a hefty sum I'm sure). Saying games have come a long way since our humble beginnings is putting it lightly to say the least!
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#72 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Parents bought me the Sears version of the Atari 2600 for my graduation. I played video games before that, but that's when I was hooked. I remember playing video games for two days straight with the only stops for bathroom, to eat, and to nap a couple of times.