Rpg's you like that were panned by critics and/or fans...

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
First off, I have to say I created this post with respect to Klonoafanboy - he champions one of my favorite series! Secondly, I'm not too big on what I don't like (duh). So I figured I'd pay respect to the games I do!

That being said, some of the games I will get this thread rolling with:

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga

Unlimited Saga

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Riuns of the Moon

Orgre Battle.

p.s. I realize Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen isn't disliked by critics, but I never see it mentioned in (s/rpg) threads. Ever.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Mass Effect 2 & 3 and Heavy Rain :D
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Oh and Monday Night Combat !
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Alpha Protocol

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#5 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AtelierFan

dbz987
I thought people like it?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Alpha Protocol

JangoWuzHere

Yeah, great example. Vampire Bloodlines, too.

-Byshop

saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

Reiseleid: Ephemeral Fantasia, that game is hard as rock, frustrating and a late and rushed job of a originally developed game for the Dreamcast that was converted to the Ps2 (it doesn't look that good even for  Dreamcast standards).

Impossible game to finish without a guide.

But I still like it, and I don't know why!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Alpha Protocol (I would love to see a sequel with more polish, too bad that will never happen)
Rondo of Swords (it has some issues but I loved the battle system and it was enough for me to enjoy the game a good bit)

Dungeon crawler/rogue-ikes in general(Baroque, Izuna, Shiren the Wanderer, etc): Most critics and a lot of RPG fans don't like those kind of games. Some, like ZHP have a good reputation though. 

Orgre Battle.

p.s. I realize Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen isn't disliked by critics, but I never see it mentioned in (s/rpg) threads. Ever.

AtelierFan

I don't like it as much OB64 or Tactics Ogre GBA but that game is still quite good.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AtelierFan

Alpha Protocol (I would love to see a sequel with more polish, too bad that will never happen)
Rondo of Swords (it has some issues but I loved the battle system and it was enough for me to enjoy the game a good bit)

Dungeon crawler/rogue-ikes in general(Baroque, Izuna, Shiren the Wanderer, etc): Most critics and a lot of RPG fans don't like those kind of games. Some, like ZHP have a good reputation though. 

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"]

Orgre Battle.

Eikichi-Onizuka

I don't like it as much OB64 or Tactics Ogre GBA but that game is still quite good.

Baroque! I knew I was forgetting something! I am intending to get both Ogre Battle games from the VC soon. Thanks for the post!
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
Eikichi they announced a sequel.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Vampire Bloodlines, Mass Effect 3, can't think of others right now. An RPG I loved though that noone ever talks about was "Star Ocean : The Second Story" for PS1.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

I thouroughly enjoyed both "Tales of Destiny" and "Koudelka" on PSone, but reviewers tended to give them low scores generally speaking.

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="dbz987"]

AtelierFan

I thought people like it?

Most critics prased it, yeah. But Gamespot gave it a pretty poor review. I love the game. It's probably my favorite game ever.

Also, I like Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. As well as Eternal Sonata. They got pretty good reviews, but the general RPG fanbase seem to dislike them.

Oh, and Tales of Symohonia: Dawn of the New World.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

dbz987
I agree, it's an awesome game, but the rating it got was a 6 when clearly it deserves 8 or more.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

Vampire Bloodlines, Mass Effect 3, can't think of others right now. An RPG I loved though that noone ever talks about was "Star Ocean : The Second Story" for PS1.

nooblet69

Mass Effect 3 has an 89-93% on Metacritic, depending on which version you are looking at. Literally -every- critic review on metacritic of Mass Effect 3 is listed as a "positive" review across all the versions. The only thing the critics couldn't agree on was whether or not to give the game an 8, a 9, or a 10 out of 10. This game was not "panned" by critics by any stretch of the imagination.

-Byshop

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="dbz987"]

BigBen11111

I agree, it's an awesome game, but the rating it got was a 6 when clearly it deserves 8 or more.

I still say the GS review for that game is the only review on the site that I read that's actually bad. I'm not talking about reviews I dissagree with, but reviews that are just horribly written, getting the facts wrong, and showing a complete lack of interest in the genre.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eikichi-Onizuka

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

Byshop

Mass Effect 3 has an 89-93% on Metacritic, depending on which version you are looking at. Literally -every- critic review on metacritic of Mass Effect 3 is listed as a "positive" review across all the versions. The only thing the critics couldn't agree on was whether or not to give the game an 8, a 9, or a 10 out of 10. This game was not "panned" by critics by any stretch of the imagination.

-Byshop

It's been panned plenty by fans though. And the title is critics and/or fans.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator

It's been panned plenty by fans though. And the title is critics and/or fans.Eikichi-Onizuka

That's fair, but many fans are trolls. If you include fans then literally every game is on the chopping block.

-Byshop

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]It's been panned plenty by fans though. And the title is critics and/or fans.Byshop

That's fair, but many fans are trolls. If you include fans then literally every game is on the chopping block.

-Byshop

Indeed " I think this gram has charm and goodgameplay but it crash a lot and battles a bit boring. I have not win it yet but it's another Zelda masterpiece. Skyward sword deserves many awards." scores it 10/10 :lol:

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]It's been panned plenty by fans though. And the title is critics and/or fans.Yo-SUP

-Byshop

Indeed " I think this gram has charm and goodgameplay but it crash a lot and battles a bit boring. I have not win it yet but it's another Zelda masterpiece. Skyward sword deserves many awards." scores it 10/10 :lol:

I saw a user give ME3 a 0/10 because it had an optional gay sex scene...

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

I saw a user give ME3 a 0/10 because it had an optional gay sex scene...

-Byshop

And then theres Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry. White hair, anyone ?
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Final Fantasy XII.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Final Fantasy XII.

Ricardomz

Ever since FFXIII released, fans have been admitting that FFXII is awesome.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Final Fantasy XII.

GreySeal9

Whoops misread, It's still not the most talked about game, but FFXIII did make people realize how good the game was after its MMO reputation. I personally think the battle system is flawed, but there are many who like it.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
One game that was pretty much panned by critics but got mixed reviews from fans is Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii. I enjoyed it since it was a more traditional jrpg (I still need to finish it though). Another one is Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World. It got mixed reviews but I loved it. The story and characters were intriguing enough and it was a continuation of one of my favorite rpgs of all time.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AtelierFan

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Final Fantasy XII.

GreySeal9

I'm not going to lie - I had traded in my copy of FF XII for Devil Summoner on the PS2. While I don't regret DS, I do regret trading FF XII.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 roboccs
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Final Fantasy XII.

AtelierFan

I'm not going to lie - I had traded in my copy of FF XII for Devil Summoner on the PS2. While I don't regret DS, I do regret trading FF XII.

I haven't looked in awhile, but isn't ffxii pretty easy to get relatively cheap?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#31 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

These here:

Gauntlet: Legends

Here's it's add-on:

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

Also:

Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors

Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel

Yep...

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

roboccs

I haven't looked in awhile, but isn't ffxii pretty easy to get relatively cheap?

Yes and yes. It is more about the time that I had put into it when I traded it (I no longer have the save).
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19619 Posts

The Granstream Saga

Ephemeral Fantasia

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 roboccs
[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="AtelierFan"] I'm not going to lie - I had traded in my copy of FF XII for Devil Summoner on the PS2. While I don't regret DS, I do regret trading FF XII. AtelierFan

Yes and yes. It is more about the time that I had put into it when I traded it (I no longer have the save).

I hear ya. FFXII was one of those games that I loved it when I was playing it but never finished it. I would have to start over because I don't remember the stroy and I know I wasn't building my team properly. Now that I have more experience with similar games (more online-like systems) I would do better at building a well-rounded party. I hope one day to try again but game time is kind of limited. Plus, I can't get enough Xenoblade right now ;)
toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Heavy Rain. Very underrated imo

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="roboccs"] I haven't looked in awhile, but isn't ffxii pretty easy to get relatively cheap?roboccs

I hear ya. FFXII was one of those games that I loved it when I was playing it but never finished it. I would have to start over because I don't remember the stroy and I know I wasn't building my team properly. Now that I have more experience with similar games (more online-like systems) I would do better at building a well-rounded party. I hope one day to try again but game time is kind of limited. Plus, I can't get enough Xenoblade right now ;)

Ugh... don't remind me about XB. I skipped it - even though I had ample opportunity to get it - partially because of finances, partially because of time constraints at the time. Kicking. My. Self.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AtelierFan

The Granstream Saga

Ephemeral Fantasia

Jag85
I actually have heard from other people who like Ephemeral Fantasia. There is a youtube cannel by 'teh2Dgamer' (spelled just like that) called 'underrated gems', and I seem to remember that he did a video on EF.

I've also heard The Granstream Saga is good. Can't say anything about Orphen.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

The Granstream Saga

Ephemeral Fantasia

AtelierFan

I actually have heard from other people who like Ephemeral Fantasia. There is a youtube cannel by 'teh2Dgamer' (spelled just like that) called 'underrated gems', and I seem to remember that he did a video on EF.

I've also heard The Granstream Saga is good. Can't say anything about Orphen.

Ephemeral Fantasia was like the PS2's Majora's Mask. I hadn't played Majora's Mask at the time, so the game's open-ended, time-loop gameplay felt quite fresh to me. The plot was also decent during the first loop, but got a bit repetitious eventually. It also had a bit of a Shenmue feel to it, like waiting around to meet characters at the right time (there was a fast-forward button though) and finding out more about the characters. I think the biggest problem was that it paled in comparison to Majora's Mask, however.

The Granstream Saga was from Quintet (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, etc.), so if you enjoyed their previous games, you might want to give Granstream Saga a shot on the PS1. The action-RPG gameplay was decent, but I remember it more for the plot, especially the twist ending which involved one of the most 'twisted' choices I've had to make in a game (although much of the plot was cliched up until then). I think the game's biggest problem was the graphics, with the lack of face textures making it feel awkward.

And finally, Orphen: Scion of Sorcery is based on an anime series of the same name, with the PS2 game itself being a side-story to the series. While the gameplay didn't really stand out much, what I really liked about it at the time was the way the story could change drastically depending on what you do and where you go. The plot scenarios branched out in wildly different directions, though they eventually led to a "true ending" at the end. It was only many years later that I find out this unique plot structure was borrowed from the Visual Novel genre.

RobstarRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RobstarRapper
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
FFXII Hands down is my favorite FF title. Over the years people have compared it to FF7 an 8. Because of that comparison people don't even give it a chance. They just hate it.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

toughtrasher
I know right ! People better Recognize!
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jag85  Online

toughtrasher
That's not a RPG...
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="toughtrasher"]

Jag85
That's not a RPG...

Technicaly it isn't, but Practicaly, its a damn good variation of one.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#43 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Okage Shadow King is one of them (in a way). I mean I hear some people like it but generally speaking no one ever thinks of it as something they really really like. Most consider it mediocre at most since it has a very basic combat system. It is nice for people just starting. I like how it looks like some of the Tim Burton movies and would love if they ever made another game like this one.
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eikichi-Onizuka
Okage Shadow King is one of them (in a way). I mean I hear some people like it but generally speaking no one ever thinks of it as something they really really like. Most consider it mediocre at most since it has a very basic combat system. It is nice for people just starting. I like how it looks like some of the Tim Burton movies and would love if they ever made another game like this one. shadowchronicle
That's one of those games that I'm interested in and just haven't gotten around to it.
DetectiveHERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DetectiveHERO
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Nier(both versions), Alpha Protocol, Last Rebellion, Secret of the Stars, 7th saga, Two Worlds 2, and some others.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="toughtrasher"]

Lulu_Lulu
That's not a RPG...

Heavy Rain is more like a variation of adventure games (with interactive movie and visual novel elements).
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jag85"] That's not a RPG...

Heavy Rain is more like a variation of adventure games (with interactive movie and visual novel elements).

Jag: I have not played HR, and from what I have read about it I agree with you, though... what would you say about games like Shenmue, Zelda, Fragile Dreams, etc: i.e. games with rpg elements that and/or are really bending and pushing the genre?
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Technicaly it isn't, but Practicaly, its a damn good variation of one.AtelierFan

Jag: I have not played HR, and from what I have read about it I agree with you, though... what would you say about games like Shenmue, Zelda, Fragile Dreams, etc: i.e. games with rpg elements that and/or are really bending and pushing the genre?

Shenmue  is an adventure game.

Zelda is an action-adventure game.

As for Fragile Dreams, I can't really say.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#49 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Some people consider Fragile Dreams an rpg. Its a light one at that. It wouldn't come to mind if someone asked me if there was another rpg out there they should play though.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

Oops, posted in the wrong thread. :P