Rpg's you like that were panned by critics and/or fans...

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="Jag85"] Jag: I have not played HR, and from what I have read about it I agree with you, though... what would you say about games like Shenmue, Zelda, Fragile Dreams, etc: i.e. games with rpg elements that and/or are really bending and pushing the genre?Jag85

Shenmue  is an adventure game.

Zelda is an action-adventure game.

As for Fragile Dreams, I can't really say.

Some people consider Fragile Dreams an rpg. Its a light one at that. It wouldn't come to mind if someone asked me if there was another rpg out there they should play though. shadowchronicle
My next question being what do you think about these games being included in rpg specific wesites, like rpgfan.com?
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#52 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I wouldn't think they would be games included on rpgfan. They may have rpg elements but not enough to really actually consider them full fledged RPGs. Like some games have segments of puzzle solving but is it really a puzzle solving game then why is it such a small segment/feature of the game? If someone liked Persona would you recommend them a Zelda game? I wouldn't.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 AtelierFan
I wouldn't think they would be games included on rpgfan. They may have rpg elements but not enough to really actually consider them full fledged RPGs. Like some games have segments of puzzle solving but is it really a puzzle solving game then why is it such a small segment/feature of the game? If someone liked Persona would you recommend them a Zelda game? I wouldn't. shadowchronicle
I see your point. Though, I feel a games like a Zelda or Shenume have enough in the way of rpg elements that they are... genre blend-y enough to warrent being on a rpg specific site. Even if they are not *strictly* a rpg. This is where genre's need to be able to breath and expand past rigid type casts.

Recommend Zelda to a Persona fan? I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if the topic of one came up in the company of the other, though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Technicaly it isn't, but Practicaly, its a damn good variation of one.

Heavy Rain is more like a variation of adventure games (with interactive movie and visual novel elements).

Jag: I have not played HR, and from what I have read about it I agree with you, though... what would you say about games like Shenmue, Zelda, Fragile Dreams, etc: i.e. games with rpg elements that and/or are really bending and pushing the genre?

I would say maybe its time for me to finaly get a Nintendo. Just to see those games.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="Jag85"] Heavy Rain is more like a variation of adventure games (with interactive movie and visual novel elements).

Jag: I have not played HR, and from what I have read about it I agree with you, though... what would you say about games like Shenmue, Zelda, Fragile Dreams, etc: i.e. games with rpg elements that and/or are really bending and pushing the genre?

I would say maybe its time for me to finaly get a Nintendo. Just to see those games.

Well, not Shenmue. It was on the Dreamcast.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Dungeon Master 2

we used to play the crap out of it, but it got pretty poor reviews.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#58 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts
My next question being what do you think about these games being included in rpg specific wesites, like rpgfan.com?AtelierFan
RPGFan also includes adventure games and visual novels on their site. I'm not sure why, but they probably feel those genres have enough similarities to RPG's to warrant inclusion on their site.