PS1 RPGs worth playing today

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I haven't touched my PS1 in a long time, and i've ben having this itch to play a few JRPGs. I've always ben intimidated by the gigantic list of JRPGs on it, so i need a few recommandations on the absolute cream of the crop to dig into. What i've played is Xenogears, FFVII n' VIII, Chrono Cross, Persona 2 and Vagrant Story.

It doesn't need to be a classic, or a 'must own'. Just the cream of the crop for someone that never played them before. Graphics aren't a problem. A good - great story/characters and a good combat system is all i need

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
Final Fantasy tactics oh and whathever you do, do NOT play the Legend of Dragoon
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

The Breath of Fire games are pretty good

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'm in the middle of Legend of Legaia right now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Good storyline that keeps the game moving. Nice amount of polish for a PS1 RPG (thought not quite FF level). But best of all is the unique battle systems which uses this cross-command menu that you can use to pull off combos which unlocks special moves. There's also a really cool magic system where you absorb enemy's abilities to gain magic spells. Both of these unique systems make you really want to keep grinding and seeking out more random-encounters so you can either discover new combos in the attack system or absorb new spells from enemies (while still gaining traditional experience points for level-ups), rather than random-encounters getting repetitive and boring.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png

Cross battle-system I described:

http://www.pixelitis.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/legaia.jpg

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I'm in the middle of Legend of Legaia right now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Good storyline that keeps the game moving. Nice amount of polish for a PS1 RPG (thought not quite FF level). But best of all is the unique battle systems which uses this cross-command menu that you can use to pull off combos which unlocks special moves. There's also a really cool magic system where you absorb enemy's abilities to gain magic spells. Both of these unique systems make you really want to keep grinding and seeking out more random-encounters so you can either discover new combos in the attack system or absorb new spells from enemies (while still gaining traditional experience points for level-ups), rather than random-encounters getting repetitive and boring.

Emerald_Warrior

I came here to post this! Great game!

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#6 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

Emerald_Warrior
Your post actually left me pretty interested in the game, I've heard of it before on several ocasions but never bothered checking out much of it.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Final Fantasy IX and Legend of Dragoon are good options.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It'll cost you, but Valkyrie Profile is awesome. You can get it on the PSP for much cheaper as well.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#9 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
Breath of Fire III & IV Suikoden I & II Final Fantasy IX Star Ocean I & II Parasite Eve I & II
Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Breath of Fire III & IV Suikoden I & II Final Fantasy IX Star Ocean I & II Parasite Eve I & IID3dr0_0

Tales of destiny 1 & 2

Saga Frontier 1

Xenogears

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emerald_Warrior

Parasite Eve, as has been suggested, is very good. It's a unique blend of horror and RPG, as well as a unique blend of action-RPG elements and traditional JRPG elements battle-system. And the story is quite unique as well, and will keep you interested. And it was a real graphics pleaser when it came out.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Final Fantasy IX

Valkyrie Profile

Breath of Fire 3 and 4

Tactics Ogre

Final Fantasy Tactics

Wild Arms

Suikoden series

Grandia

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Suikoden Suikoden 2 Final Fantasy Tactics Final Fantasy 9 Crono Cross FF4, FF6, Ogre Battles March of the Black Queen, and Crono Trigger if we are counting games that were released on compilations or are updates of older games Valkyrie Profile Persona 2 Eternal Punishment Star Ocean Star Ocean 2 Parasite Eve Xenogears Tactics Ogre Vagrant Story There are other good ones but those are the ones I've played and know that I would still like now.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Did you enjoy FFVII and FFVIII? If you did, you absolutely need to play FFIX, which is the best FF game IMO. It's a perfect mix of the old and the new.

Many people are reccomending Star Ocean: Second Story and I would reccomend it as well since it's a great game with alot to do and extremely fun combat, but the story is pretty darn trite (it's decent enough but not the game's strong suit), especially if you're a fan of Xenogears (I remember you being a huge Xenogears fan, tho I might be mixing you up with someone else). Also, the talking scenes move very slooooooooooooowly.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Tales of Destiny Tales of Destiny 2 aka Eternal Lunar 1-2 Legend of Dragoon Wild Arms 1-2 Kartia
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Parasite Eve, as has been suggested, is very good. It's a unique blend of horror and RPG, as well as a unique blend of action-RPG elements and traditional JRPG elements battle-system. And the story is quite unique as well, and will keep you interested. And it was a real graphics pleaser when it came out.

Emerald_Warrior
The original Parasite Eve is one of the few games that still creeps me out. It's so unsettling.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
IMO the psx RPGs are infinitely superior to the ps2 RPGs. You've got the Legend games, Wild Arms, Vagrant Story. ...FF7 is a stinker IMO, though.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Arc the Lad trilogy Lunar and Lunar 2 Final Fantasy Anthology, Chronicles, IX, Tactics
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

These recommandations are awesome, a lot of interesting games that i've never played before. Thanks a bunch, this is going to take me forever, hah.

Did you enjoy FFVII and FFVIII? If you did, you absolutely need to play FFIX, which is the best FF game IMO. It's a perfect mix of the old and the new.

Many people are reccomending Star Ocean: Second Story and I would reccomend it as well since it's a great game with alot to do and extremely fun combat, but the story is pretty darn trite (it's decent enough but not the game's strong suit), especially if you're a fan of Xenogears (I remember you being a huge Xenogears fan, tho I might be mixing you up with someone else). Also, the talking scenes move very slooooooooooooowly.

GreySeal9

I enjoyed FFVII, but VIII not so much. Damn, i was put off FFIX because of the strange character design of the main protagonist.. but so many people speak of FFIX in a greatly positive light. I gotta give it a go soon enough. Eh, i'm a huge fan, yeah, but i gave up finding something similar to Xenogears a long time ago.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

These recommandations are awesome, a lot of interesting games that i've never played before. Thanks a bunch, this is going to take me forever, hah.

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Lucianu

I enjoyed FFVII, but VIII not so much. Damn, i was put off FFIX because of the strange character design of the main protagonist.. but so many people speak of FFIX in a greatly positive light. I gotta give it a go soon enough. Eh, i'm a huge fan, yeah, but i gave up finding something similar to Xenogears a long time ago.

The closest you're going to get to Xenogears is Xenosaga Ep 1-3, but it really doesn't have the same feel.

But yeah, if you liked FFVII and didn't like FFVIII, I'd say there's a high chance you'll like FFIX. I assume one of your issues with FFVIII was the junction system and drawing magic, so FFIX will give you a much more traditional and polished experience. Not to mention that FFIX is easily the best looking of the three PS1 FF games. The story is not quite as original as some of the other FFs, but its a very high quality tale with highly endearing characters.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I haven't touched my PS1 in a long time, and i've ben having this itch to play a few JRPGs. I've always ben intimidated by the gigantic list of JRPGs on it, so i need a few recommandations on the absolute cream of the crop to dig into. What i've played is Xenogears, FFVII n' VIII, Chrono Cross, Persona 2 and Vagrant Story.

It doesn't need to be a classic, or a 'must own'. Just the cream of the crop for someone that never played them before. Graphics aren't a problem. A good - great story/characters and a good combat system is all i need

Lucianu

Besides the ones you've played...

Alundra

Breath of Fire III & IV

Final Fantasy Chronicles & Anthology

Final Fantasy IX & Tactics

Grandia

Lunar 1 & 2

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Tactics Ogre

Tales of Phantasia & Tales of Destiny

Wild Arms

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#22 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Grandia

Parasite Eve

Valkyrie Profile

Legend of Dragoon

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Some of the ones you guys mentioned look like crap,and NOT playable today.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

The Tales games. Destiny 1&2 as is titled in the West. The battle system is addictive.

Parasite Eve 1 is a ton better than its sequel. If only it had 2's visuals it would've been the defining Square PSX RPG.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

GreekGameManiac

Oh, this is gonna be rich. Please, tell us which ones you speak of?

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#26 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
^Don't know why he's complaining this thread wasn't directed at him anyways.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
nice to see Legend of Dragoon getting some love.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Final Fantasy IX Final Fantasy Tactics Chrono Trigger Lunar: Silver Star Story Grandia
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

As others have recommended and I'm playing right now, Final Fantasy IX is a great choice.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aero5555

Emerald_Warrior

Don't waste your time, man. I stopped caring. It'll just derail the discussion.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

Emerald_Warrior

Grandia,FFVII(come on,are you one of those ppl that say that it has aged well?),FF Anthology,FF Origins,Kartia(wtf?).

Satisfied? for me,those aren't exactly a playable as they WERE.

What's with you,EW? i can't have an opinion?

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Aero5555

GreekGameManiac

OP never asked for the critique of games. He's asking for options which he'll then filter and decide for himself. Your opinions are your opinions but you take it another level and make this place like an SW forum. It's like someone asking for one option on which joint to eat lunch at today. Most people get the idea that all he wants is options, not a debate. All would give their opinions and he'd decide for himself later on. But you come up and say: "Sorry, but you guy's options suck" and not bother giving your own options. Simply adding nothing of value to the inquiry and instigating a pointless discussion.

Most people would be civil enough to ignore the pointless jab. But some people will call you out simply because they're curious or for the laugh. It has nothing to do with your notion that people disregard your opinion. It's basically pointless for this thread.

Alex_Kroket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alex_Kroket
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Alundra 1 is a great 2D adventure game in Zelda fashion, game has some brutal puzzles though. Suikoden 2 is also one of the best JRPGs i`ve played so i would recommend it to anyone who has interest in those type of games.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Final Fantasy IX.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Emerald_Warrior

GreekGameManiac

I'm not the one that came out and called our opinions crap, you are. And yeah, pretty much all those games you named are great RPGS.

Don't listen to Greek, he's just a resident troll.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#37 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

whathever you do, do NOT play the Legend of Dragoon rilpas

firstly, disregard the above statement completely, Legend of Dragoon, while not the best PS1 rpg, is certainly worth playing.

secondly, the "worth playing today" part seems somewhat...subjective
to me, the "today" part is irrelevant; if a game was worth playing then, its worth playing now.

my personal favorites that weren't on your "already played" list:

Suikoden
Suikoden II
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar Eternal Blue
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean Second Story
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Alundra

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
nice to see Legend of Dragoon getting some love.Allicrombie
I also recommend this.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreekGameManiac

Emerald_Warrior

I'm not the one that came out and called our opinions crap, you are. And yeah, pretty much all those games you named are great RPGS.

Yeah,i'm suuuch a troll.

>_>

OR.you're oversensitive,touchy,and can't READ.

I never expected this from you,EW.

Are you happy? when the f*ck did i say your opinions are crap?

Grow up,cause this time you're on the completely wrong side.

I had respect for you,but if you go as far as call me a troll,when i didn't say anything bad,i'ma lose it,apparently.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

GreekGameManiac

Yeah,i'm suuuch a troll.

>_>

I had respect for you,but if you go as far as call me a troll,when i didn't say anything bad,i'ma lose it,apparently.

Really? You even used the word crap. And then you asked why "you can't have an opinion", but I'm sensitive. Yeah, I'm so butt-hurt that I lost your respect of all people.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Chrono Chross is the best RPG on the PS1. I play it every Summer.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreekGameManiac

Really? You even used the word crap. And then you asked why "you can't have an opinion", but I'm sensitive. Yeah, I'm so butt-hurt that I lost your respect of all people.

Emerald_Warrior

Sorry EW,i'm not byuing it.

And i never said your opinion is crap,i said the GRAPHICS of SOME games are crap.

Reading skills is the key here.

As for the whole respect thing,i'm surprised you'd think THAT badly of me,only because i disagree with you on the "old games vs new games" thing.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah,i'm suuuch a troll.

>_>

:lol: This isn't system wars!
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreySeal9

Chrono Chross is the best RPG on the PS1. I play it every Summer.LittleMac19

I agree, but I'd go as far as to say Chrono Cross is the best RPG I've ever played.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Chrono Chross is the best RPG on the PS1. I play it every Summer.GreySeal9

I agree, but I'd go as far as to say Chrono Cross is the best RPG I've ever played.

Whoa really now? Describe a little review for me, as I have not played it yet.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GreySeal9

GreekGameManiac

Sorry EW,i'm not byuing it.

And i never said your opinion is crap,i said the GRAPHICS of SOME games are crap.

Reading skills is the key here.

As for the whole respect thing,i'm surprised you'd think THAT badly of me,only because i disagree with you on the "old games vs new games" thing.

Some of the games people have suggest do look a bit rough (like Legend of Legaia for instance), but the TC specifically said that graphics are not an issue.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Chrono Chross is the best RPG on the PS1. I play it every Summer.DerveCreaves

Well, here's my full review, but it's a bit long, so if you don't want to read it, here's a short little review:

Chrono Cross might rub people who were expecting another Chrono Trigger the wrong way, but it is a superb RPG in its own right. It has a really unique combat system that has way more depth than Chrono Trigger's (you have to get used to it, but once you do, it's very rewarding), it has breathtakingly gorgeous aesthetics (everything has a beautiful, lush tropical look and the game's atmosphere is heavily tied to the ocean; the same goes for the music), the story, tho a little hard to understand, is very interesting and eerie, there are alot of really interesting moments where the game throws something unexpected at you, you don't have to grind and the game really makes everything convenient for the player, etc. It's just a really beautiful game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GreySeal9

Just realized that I had the wrong link for the full review. I fixed it, so if you want to read the review, the link works properly now.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Well, here's my full review, but it's a bit long, so if you don't want to read it, here's a short little review:

Chrono Cross might rub people who were expecting another Chrono Trigger the wrong way, but it is a superb RPG in its own right. It has a really unique combat system that has way more depth than Chrono Trigger's (you have to get used to it, but once you do, it's very rewarding), it has breathtakingly gorgeous aesthetics (everything has a beautiful, lush tropical look and the game's atmosphere is heavily tied to the ocean; the same goes for the music), the story, tho a little hard to understand, is very interesting and eerie, there are alot of really interesting moments where the game throws something unexpected at you, you don't have to grind and the game really makes everything convenient for the player, etc. It's just a really beautiful game.

So it has a curved Battle System that you have to get into from the start, a unorganized story and low music variety but you still consider it the best rpg you ever played? Huh, guess I have to try it then if that good. and you don't have to grind.........you dn't have to grind?????? Wha..............................................
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DerveCreaves

Just realized that I had the wrong link for the full review. I fixed it, so if you want to read the review, the link works properly now.

GreySeal9
'll take a look at it.