PGD Recommendation Thread - Post "What game do I buy?" questions here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Another year, another recommendation thread. After almost a full year since the last thread was made we've decided to switch over to a new thread because the old one was getting stale. So if you've got any queries that haven't yet be answered over there, you might want to get those reposted here if you still want an answer.

For those not in the know, this thread is solely for asking for game recommendations, purchase advice, and whatnot. Simple stuff, really. Everyone here will do their best to help you out. So ask away!

Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts

Looking for a good story driven game with at least playable gameplay. I own a 360. Thanks in advance.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#3 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

Looking for a good story driven game with at least playable gameplay. I own a 360. Thanks in advance.

Darksiders666

I would suggest Alan Wake. I really thought the story worked amazingly. The gameplay doesn't become anything too special until the DLC, though.

You could also try Metro 2033. That game has a fantastic story about a post-apocolyptic world and there are several very thrilling moments in the game. The AI isn't too great (the enemies won't completely cover themselves when they hide, but that's really the only problem with the game.

Also Deadly Premintion has a story that is just crazy and weird and awesome! It'll be one of the most memorable stories you have ever played in a game. The gameplay is kinda clunky and dated, though. But it's only $20.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

First page! Just reccomend me some game with an open world!

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Looking for something to play. 360 took a dump last week so it'll either have to be on PS3 or PC. Have not played Dead Space 2 yet which is really the only thing i see worth spending the money on right now.

Only reason i have not purchased it already is the length. Suppose to be 12 on average which means i'll probably be done in 10 or less and likely all in one sitting. Spending $60 and then being done all in the same day before dinner is a turn off unless of course the time spent is really really fun. I guess i'll get more than that by going for a platinum so...

Any other suggestions would be nice as well.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vadicta

Looking for something to play. 360 took a dump last week so it'll either have to be on PS3 or PC. Have not played Dead Space 2 yet which is really the only thing i see worth spending the money on right now.

Only reason i have not purchased it already is the length. Suppose to be 12 on average which means i'll probably be done in 10 or less and likely all in one sitting. Spending $60 and then being done all in the same day before dinner is a turn off unless of course the time spent is really really fun. I guess i'll get more than that by going for a platinum so...

Alter_Echo

I think Dead Space 2 has a pretty robust online mode, if you're into that sort of thing.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I am not into multiplayer at all. I'll likely just get the platinum and never play it again which from all reports is gonna come out to 30 hours for $60 with most of that being multiple playthroughs. If i was not bored out of my mind i probably wouldn't even entertain it as anything other than a rental.

The ONLY other option i am bouncing around right now is Demon Souls which i have already owned once before but never got anywhere with because at the time i was playing 4 or 5 other games which were infinitely less frustrating. Now that i have nothing else to do i might be able to go back and actually accomplish something with a little dedication.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I am not into multiplayer at all. I'll likely just get the platinum and never play it again which from all reports is gonna come out to 30 hours for $60 with most of that being multiple playthroughs. If i was not bored out of my mind i probably wouldn't even entertain it as anything other than a rental.

The ONLY other option i am bouncing around right now is Demon Souls which i have already owned once before but never got anywhere with because at the time i was playing 4 or 5 other games which were infinitely less frustrating. Now that i have nothing else to do i might be able to go back and actually accomplish something with a little dedication.

Alter_Echo
Fallout New Vegas is an amazing game. So is Fallout 3. Mass Effect 1 is an amazing game, get that too (I see youve played Mass Effect 2). AC Brotherhood is great. So is Demons Souls. Dragon Age is amazing, and Bioshock is so cheap that even with its 10 hour story line its worth it (worth it for 60$ IMO) Just Cause, GTA 4 and RDR are all great open world games. And if youre into kart racers, Modnation Racers is an extremely underrated game. Also why not some older games? Planescape, Baldurs Gate, Vampire: Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1 and 2. Best thing about owning a computer. There is an endless amount of great RPG's
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wolfetan

First page! Just reccomend me some game with an open world!

dunl12496
InFAMOUS, RDR, Just Cause 2 and GTA 4.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wolfetan

Darksiders666
Dead Space 2 has an amazing story. Brutal Legends, Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time and Bioshock are really great too.
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]

vadicta

I think Dead Space 2 has a pretty robust online mode, if you're into that sort of thing.

not really a fan of the mp in dead space 2, but the new game+ feature does help provide some replayability

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KeredsBlaze
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Darksiders666"]

Dead Space 2 has an amazing story. Brutal Legends, Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time and Bioshock are really great too.

The only one of those games with an "amazing" story is probably bioshock
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="KeredsBlaze"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Darksiders666"]

The only one of those games with an "amazing" story is probably bioshock

Oh my bad. Can I have the sheet that tells me how to judge these things, so I can be half has awesome as you are.
sleeptalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sleeptalk
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
help me choose between War of angels Atlantica online Wonderking TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea Divine souls i saw this in a ranking site and would like to here other's opinion about this. i know that wonderking is 2d though what game should i choose?
Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darksiders666
@vadicta Thanks I've aready tried Alan Wake and I regreted buying the game. All the talk of Deadly Premonition has got me interested I might try it even if it supposedly does have terrible gameplay.
austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts

Im looking for RTS,TBS games and also sandbox games like mercenaries 2,infamous,far cry 2 where its a free world to do anything.

I have Pc and Ps3

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wolfetan

Im looking for RTS,TBS games and also sandbox games like mercenaries 2,infamous,far cry 2 where its a free world to do anything.

I have Pc and Ps3

austi722
For the latter get Just Cause 2. You could get Red Faction but its not a must buy.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vadicta

So, I really want to buy Mindjack, because you can crawl inside people's heads and there are robotic apes in it, but people haven't been saying stellar things about it. Am I going to regret the purchase?

Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darksiders666

So, I really want to buy Mindjack, because you can crawl inside people's heads and there are robotic apes in it, but people haven't been saying stellar things about it. Am I going to regret the purchase?

vadicta
I've heard very bad things about that game. Reviews saying it's a strong contender for worst game of 2011. If you want more details on the game and to see if you can cope with the problems I recomend you watch the Angry Joe Show review of the game on YouTube.
Gamergambit109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamergambit109
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood? Awesome. Also, Fable III is completely immersive.
aaronangelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aaronangelle
you choose Dead Space 2 it has a great story
Kolovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kolovsky
I have 30 euros, and i'm thinking of getting Arma 2. I thought about Operation Flashpoint, then thought "Nah" anyway I don't know which to get Arma II Arrowhead or Arma II
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I've ben thinking to get into the MGS franchise. I've played the first one on the PS1 months ago, and liked it. Visuals are alright, for a PS1 game, i got no problem.

Now i'm thinking of getting MGS2 and 3 for my PS2. Specifically 2, Sons of Liberty. I found a cheap copy. Is it a good game? I wanna ask some gamers how they feel about it..

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vadicta

I've ben thinking to get into the MGS franchise. I've played the first one on the PS1 months ago, and liked it. Visuals are alright, for a PS1 game, i got no problem.

Now i'm thinking of getting MGS2 and 3 for my PS2. Specifically 2, Sons of Liberty. I found a cheap copy. Is it a good game? I wanna ask some gamers how they feel about it..

Lucianu

It was the only Metal Gear Game I ever played and I really loved it. I tried playing the remake of the first one on the Gamecube afterwards, but just couldn't get into it the same way.

But I definitely tell you to go for it.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KeredsBlaze
[QUOTE="KeredsBlaze"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] The only one of those games with an "amazing" story is probably bioshockWolfetan
Oh my bad. Can I have the sheet that tells me how to judge these things, so I can be half has awesome as you are.

lol, just stating my opinion dude, no need to get all bent out of shape

vadicta
I have heard that the game is terrible, but I haven't played it personally
xPosterchildx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xPosterchildx
Call of duty black ops by far!
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

vadicta

It was the only Metal Gear Game I ever played and I really loved it. I tried playing the remake of the first one on the Gamecube afterwards, but just couldn't get into it the same way.

But I definitely tell you to go for it.

Thank u.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vadicta

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

KeredsBlaze

I have heard that the game is terrible, but I haven't played it personally

Yeah, I watched the Gamespot review for it ( I didn't know they had one up) and it looksed like all the cool things were pretty hampered by the game. I think there are too many good games already out that I haven't played and on the very near horizon that I don't need to bother with a bad game. No matter how cool it seems.

tepni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tepni
Member since 2008 • 3214 Posts

I really enjoyed my gamecube when I had it, and playing Harvest moon and Animal Crossing on it.

I have a PS3, an XBOX360, and a DS.

I just never know what games to get!

I also like Kingdom Hearts and FF 10.

Any recommendations..?

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vadicta

I really enjoyed my gamecube when I had it, and playing Harvest moon and Animal Crossing on it.

Any recommendations..?

tepni

Farmville might be good for you.

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
What game should I get, Brink or Dirt 3 ? (xbox 360 ) Brink comes out on may 18'th and Dirt 3 is out on May 24'th. Which should I get ?
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

Any recommendations..?

tepni
Get the Rune Factory games for the DS (spin off from Harvest Moon), Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero, Dragon Quest Iv V & VI, and Final Fantasy III & IV. And for the 360, you should get Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and the Viva Pinata games. Also you would probably like World of Keflings off of Xbox Live Arcade. For the PS3, you should get Final Fantasy XIII.
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
what good games do you recamend for the ps3??? im looking for teen and below rated games.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wolfetan
what good games do you recamend for the ps3??? im looking for teen and below rated games.Xbox360Gamer15
LittlebigPlanet 2, InFAMOUS, Uncharted 1 and 2, Ratchet and Clank, Modnation, Batman Arkham Aslyum.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
I have played black ops , quite liked it, i'm prestige 15 now, have played over 450 hours. Would it be worth it to buy modern warfare 2. Do you know of any other action games that have a leveling / ranking system online ?
0_demo_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 0_demo_0
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

So I'm looking for a new game with the money I am getting from selling some of my older games. I was thinking about Pokemon Black/White or reserve (Hopefully) the next CoD coming out in the fall. I am also open to any other suggestions for the 360. I currently play my two newest games which is Borderlands and CoD: MW 2. Thanks in advance.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wolfetan

So I'm looking for a new game with the money I am getting from selling some of my older games. I was thinking about Pokemon Black/White or reserve (Hopefully) the next CoD coming out in the fall. I am also open to any other suggestions for the 360. I currently play my two newest games which is Borderlands and CoD: MW 2. Thanks in advance.

0_demo_0
Dont get COD. Burn MW 2. Now. Go out and buy God of War Trilogy. If you dont have a PS3, get Dead Space 1 and 2 and/or New Vegas. If you have a Wii get SMG 2 and RE 4.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wolfetan
I have played black ops , quite liked it, i'm prestige 15 now, have played over 450 hours. Would it be worth it to buy modern warfare 2. Do you know of any other action games that have a leveling / ranking system online ?evildead6789
Call of Duty is horrible. Get Killzone instead. Or Bad Company 2. Or most other games that have came out this generation.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vadicta

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]I have played black ops , quite liked it, i'm prestige 15 now, have played over 450 hours. Would it be worth it to buy modern warfare 2. Do you know of any other action games that have a leveling / ranking system online ?Wolfetan
Call of Duty is horrible. Get Killzone instead. Or Bad Company 2. Or most other games that have came out this generation.

He's basically saying VANQUISH. (Although it doesn't have any of what you asked for.)

0_demo_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 0_demo_0
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

I just love the mp for CoD: MW2and hooked on it so I doubt i'll burn it lol :P but anyways, all I have atm is a DS and a 360. I played Dead Space already and want something with a lot of replay value and I don't know Dead Space 2 will do that for me even though it looks like one amazing game. I will more than likely stick to playing MW2 for my multiplayer for now so I don't think I will play Battlefield 2. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for any suggestions! :D Also, like I said above, I have a DS and play it now and then and play FF Tactics 2 and Pokemon Diamond.

allthatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 allthatdown
Member since 2008 • 1229 Posts

Any big fans of current gen console JRPGS here? I'm just wondering which ones are worth getting for ps3, I recently ordered Valkyria Chronicles and Record of Agarest War online, I plan to get Demon's Souls and White Knight Chronicles too. Any other ones worth mentioning? Or shouldn't I bother?

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 YoBrandino

Any big fans of current gen console JRPGS here? I'm just wondering which ones are worth getting for ps3, I recently ordered Valkyria Chronicles and Record of Agarest War online, I plan to get Demon's Souls and White Knight Chronicles too. Any other ones worth mentioning? Or shouldn't I bother?

allthatdown

If you are a jrpg fan, then I'd go ahead and get Resonance of Fate, Final Fantasy XIII, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and even Eternal Sonata. I also really liked Enchanted Arms.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 vadicta

Hey again, I got another request for everyone. My roommate and I are trying to get into an MMORPG together. Something Free 2 Play, so no WoW for us. I know that there are a crapload of them out there and a used to actually play a lot of them a few years back. I liked Perfect World, because you could jump, but I guess I'm not married to jumpring if there's something better out there. I also don't have the strongest computer. I know Fiesta works on it, but just something to keep in mind with your suggestions.

Thanks in advance. :D

morbid_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 morbid_warrior
Member since 2011 • 229 Posts

Hey...I was watchin Hitman - the movie on TV and felt like playing it...I have never played any of the Hitman games before..I have no idea as to how the story goes...Should i start from the 1st part or the most recent one?? Which would be the best option...I am a PC gamer..:)

allthatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 allthatdown
Member since 2008 • 1229 Posts

Hey...I was watchin Hitman - the movie on TV and felt like playing it...I have never played any of the Hitman games before..I have no idea as to how the story goes...Should i start from the 1st part or the most recent one?? Which would be the best option...I am a PC gamer..:)

morbid_warrior

I recently bought Hitman 2 and had no trouble picking up the story, If you're curious you can always look up the wiki anyway. I also bought Blood Money but haven't played it yet, I heard the first Hitman was not that great so I put myself off buying it.

morbid_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 morbid_warrior
Member since 2011 • 229 Posts

[QUOTE="morbid_warrior"]

allthatdown

I recently bought Hitman 2 and had no trouble picking up the story, If you're curious you can always look up the wiki anyway. I also bought Blood Money but haven't played it yet, I heard the first Hitman was not that great so I put myself off buying it.

Thanks for the info..I'll pick up blood money and look up wiki for the rest..:)

RostorCrytea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RostorCrytea
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Out of the following games which would you recommend for a playthrough the most, from a story perspective? I'm looking for something that's truly special but that's also easy to get into: Final Fantays VI Final Fantasy VII Final Fantasy VIII Final Fantasy IX Final Fantasy XII Final Fantasy Tactics Vagrant Story Lost Oddysey Parasite Eve Chrono Cross Xenosaga Baten Kaitos Soma Bringer [Insert any Megami Tensei game here] Shadow Hearts Valkyrie Profile Killer7 Silent Hill A Metal Gear game outside of the 4 primary entries Mother/Earthbound Infinite Space Phantom of Inferno Remember 11: The Age of Infinity 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors Contact Flower, Sun, and Rain The World Ends With You Planescape: Torment Baldur's Gate Assassin's Creed Deus Ex Beyond Good and Evil Tactics Ogre Thanks in advance! : D
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YoBrandino

@RostorCrytea

I haven't play all of those games. But I will say that Baten Kaitos is one of my favorite games ever. The story has some really interesting moments too.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Looking for an open world zombie game.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points